Put priority on respect for Cherokee heritage in runway expansion

The state of North Carolina should do all it can to address the objections of the Eastern Band of Cherokee regarding a runway expansion at the Macon County Airport. Full Story
First Prev
of 20
Next Last
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#1 Feb 20, 2009
Why do these heritage people wait until the airport wants to extend the runway to voice their complaint? I'm sure that indian artifacts could possibly be found anywhere you dig in western north carolina, since the cherokee lived here for centuries before the new settlers moved here. Why are they just now bringing this up when such a small piece of land is involved?
Michael Trinkley

West Columbia, SC

#2 Feb 20, 2009
Mr. Wayne, the issue isn't "just" being brought up. Our study has been available since 2000. Our recommendations have been available since then. As for the "small piece of land," I suppose in relative terms you are correct. But on that "small piece of land" are around 18,000 postholes (evidence of structure), over 2,000 pits (containing food and other domestic trash), and perhaps 400 human burials. That a lot of occupation on a small site. And that it why the best approach is to leave this site alone -- it is too significant and appropriate excavation will be too costly. Finally, I do respect your frustration that archaeological sites are found everywhere. But in fact they aren't. Sites of this magnitude and significance are extremely rare.
Best,
Michael Trinkley
Ghost Dog

Springfield, MO

#3 Feb 20, 2009
Why does the airport need to be lengthened? The aiport currently services "corporate" jets, they land and take off all the time servicing the FEW people that the taxpayers get to support. Only 3 companies were mentioned by the mayor, 3! The Macon County taxpayers have already spent about $10 Million for the airport and subsidize it every day, it has never produced "profits" to county. Why is it that governments always support the "Fat Cats" with taxpayer dollars taken from the working folks? If these "Fat Cats" want a bigger airport so they can get bigger private jets, well, let them pay for it. Drake, at one time, took over the airport on a lease but gave it back when it drained too much money, it is a bottomless pit, sort of like buying a boat or airplane, they just keep sucking up money for the privilege of a few!

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#4 Feb 20, 2009
justice4abgnc@yahoo.com and I will be glad to send letters out to whomever wishes to join in a fax-a-thon to prevent this.
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#5 Feb 20, 2009
Ghost Dog wrote:
Why does the airport need to be lengthened? The aiport currently services "corporate" jets, they land and take off all the time servicing the FEW people that the taxpayers get to support. Only 3 companies were mentioned by the mayor, 3! The Macon County taxpayers have already spent about $10 Million for the airport and subsidize it every day, it has never produced "profits" to county. Why is it that governments always support the "Fat Cats" with taxpayer dollars taken from the working folks? If these "Fat Cats" want a bigger airport so they can get bigger private jets, well, let them pay for it. Drake, at one time, took over the airport on a lease but gave it back when it drained too much money, it is a bottomless pit, sort of like buying a boat or airplane, they just keep sucking up money for the privilege of a few!
You never know when BUSH might want to come calling on his number one fan...you! obama might want to bring in airforce one for a look at the artifacts they find. You always look at the negative side of life,...but I guess if I was you I would be negative also.
Ghost Dog

Springfield, MO

#6 Feb 20, 2009
Bush Daddy visited Highlands but he landed in Asheville. "The negative side of life"? Questioning why Macon County needs to waste millions of dollars on an airport that services so few people? Questioning why several million dollars more need to be spent to satisfy the desires of a few "Fat Cats" who want bigger jets than they already have? Why don't they just buy a helicopter, store it in Asheville and then their larger jets could land there and their helicopter could bring them to Highlands or Franklin where it could land at their company or at their mansion and the taxpayers could use that subsidizing money for the over priced schools and other facilities being built over the objections of the citizens who voted down the bond issues and were told by the commissioners "we will build anyway and raise taxes to pay for them"! How is that negative to want accountability and conservative spending in government, to ask for concientious care with the tax dollars taken in? What is negative about that. Why is it OK with you Repugs to do things for the rich and powerful, like bailing out the Wall Street crooks and friends of Bush and Paulson but not the poor folks who lost their jobs to Reaganomics which encouraged moving their jobs overseas, and subsequently lost their homes? Same thing here, supporting rich folks over Indian Heritage and the taxpayers.

“www.coppertoken. com”

State of Confusion

#7 Feb 20, 2009
Ghost Dog wrote:
Bush Daddy visited Highlands but he landed in Asheville. "The negative side of life"? Questioning why Macon County needs to waste millions of dollars on an airport that services so few people? Questioning why several million dollars more need to be spent to satisfy the desires of a few "Fat Cats" who want bigger jets than they already have? Why don't they just buy a helicopter, store it in Asheville and then their larger jets could land there and their helicopter could bring them to Highlands or Franklin where it could land at their company or at their mansion and the taxpayers could use that subsidizing money for the over priced schools and other facilities being built over the objections of the citizens who voted down the bond issues and were told by the commissioners "we will build anyway and raise taxes to pay for them"! How is that negative to want accountability and conservative spending in government, to ask for concientious care with the tax dollars taken in? What is negative about that. Why is it OK with you Repugs to do things for the rich and powerful, like bailing out the Wall Street crooks and friends of Bush and Paulson but not the poor folks who lost their jobs to Reaganomics which encouraged moving their jobs overseas, and subsequently lost their homes? Same thing here, supporting rich folks over Indian Heritage and the taxpayers.
Ghost dog I cant say I always agree with you but this time I do. Every politician should stand accountable for their decisions that effect the people they represent. Seems to be they worry too much about political parties even after getting in office then they do worrying about the welfare of the people.

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#8 Feb 20, 2009
bruce wayne wrote:
Why do these heritage people wait until the airport wants to extend the runway to voice their complaint? I'm sure that indian artifacts could possibly be found anywhere you dig in western north carolina, since the cherokee lived here for centuries before the new settlers moved here. Why are they just now bringing this up when such a small piece of land is involved?
Bruce, I've got to disagree. The airport property was inaccessible till they submitted plans to expand the strip. At that point a required survey of the intended site was done for any possible historic value. You have a point about finding arrowheads anywhere but a village with burials other than in mounds is unique.

Do you wish to volunteer all of WNC, NWSC, NG, and ET both public and private land for surveying? As it stands now a formality to construction is the only reason this site was found. Can you tell me that if the oldest foundation to a settlers cabin was found there that you wouldn't be on board with holding paving for a bit to see what of value could be there. No, I am not asking a racial, but a heritage question. I just wanted to make that clear because I know you're not making a racial issue here.
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#9 Feb 21, 2009
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
Bruce, I've got to disagree. The airport property was inaccessible till they submitted plans to expand the strip. At that point a required survey of the intended site was done for any possible historic value. You have a point about finding arrowheads anywhere but a village with burials other than in mounds is unique.
Do you wish to volunteer all of WNC, NWSC, NG, and ET both public and private land for surveying? As it stands now a formality to construction is the only reason this site was found. Can you tell me that if the oldest foundation to a settlers cabin was found there that you wouldn't be on board with holding paving for a bit to see what of value could be there. No, I am not asking a racial, but a heritage question. I just wanted to make that clear because I know you're not making a racial issue here.
I'm all for finding anything that pertains to the heritage of the original dwellers of this land and if the evidence is there then they should dig up every square inch of the land. My argument is, no matter where they intend to build or enlarge the airport, these same people will make the same argument and we go back to square one. One word of advice with the artifacts,...make sure they do not have MADE IN JAPAN somewhere on them.

“www.coppertoken. com”

State of Confusion

#10 Feb 21, 2009
bruce wayne wrote:
<quoted text> I'm all for finding anything that pertains to the heritage of the original dwellers of this land and if the evidence is there then they should dig up every square inch of the land. My argument is, no matter where they intend to build or enlarge the airport, these same people will make the same argument and we go back to square one. One word of advice with the artifacts,...make sure they do not have MADE IN JAPAN somewhere on them.
Well if you are for it there is a fight going on to protect the graves. If not leaving them to rest in peace then to have them moved elsewhere with respect.
Letters are being faxed and if you would like copies you can email me at justice4abgnc@yahoo.com
and I will attache the letters in a reply.
All letters are to me are kept confidential.
WNC

Hayesville, NC

#11 Feb 24, 2009
please pray for our valley and our way of life to be preserved.....

“www.coppertoken. com”

State of Confusion

#12 Feb 24, 2009
WNC wrote:
please pray for our valley and our way of life to be preserved.....
Prayer and action.

“Warning I misspell Get over it”

Since: Aug 07

Asheville NC

#13 Feb 24, 2009
This is sad that a few people would even try to disturb the dead, and disrespect the local heritage.

This really enrages me to no end, we need to meet at the site and voice our opinions in person. Tell the local media to be there at that time, blog get people involved.

Where is all the outrage? When they built the Wal mart in Oakley, people from woodfin and all over Asheville came and protested caused a stink over something that wasnt in their community.

Yet very little outrage over the Desecrating of a Native American Gravesite. That is depressing.

Is there a fax number? Or do I use our congressman? Are we faxing the Govenor? I think we should, those people in Raliegh need to know that the State doesnt stop West of Statesville.
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#14 Feb 25, 2009
mystery logger wrote:
This is sad that a few people would even try to disturb the dead, and disrespect the local heritage.
This really enrages me to no end, we need to meet at the site and voice our opinions in person. Tell the local media to be there at that time, blog get people involved.
Where is all the outrage? When they built the Wal mart in Oakley, people from woodfin and all over Asheville came and protested caused a stink over something that wasnt in their community.
Yet very little outrage over the Desecrating of a Native American Gravesite. That is depressing.
Is there a fax number? Or do I use our congressman? Are we faxing the Govenor? I think we should, those people in Raliegh need to know that the State doesnt stop West of Statesville.
How is this going to disturb the dead?

“www.coppertoken. com”

State of Confusion

#15 Feb 25, 2009
mystery logger wrote:
If you write justice4abgnc@yahoo.com I set that up just for this project. I can email you letters and the addresses and fax numbers are on there. Senators have more pull right now since it is a federal law which is likely being broken by the county.

Asheville NC

#16 Feb 25, 2009
bruce wayne wrote:
<quoted text> How is this going to disturb the dead?
Building of the runway over the cemetary. If that is cool with everyone I know of A few Cemeteries in town that would make some prime Real estate since its cool to build over graves.

Asheville NC

#17 Feb 25, 2009
Ravenz Moon wrote:
<quoted text>
If you write justice4abgnc@yahoo.com I set that up just for this project. I can email you letters and the addresses and fax numbers are on there. Senators have more pull right now since it is a federal law which is likely being broken by the county.
I will get a letter to you as soon as I can write one to join the fight.

Thank you!
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#18 Feb 25, 2009
mystery logger wrote:
<quoted text>
Building of the runway over the cemetary. If that is cool with everyone I know of A few Cemeteries in town that would make some prime Real estate since its cool to build over graves.
I still don't see how this is going to bother the dead. It will bother those living, but the dead won't say one word in protest, never have, never will.

Asheville NC

#19 Feb 25, 2009
bruce wayne wrote:
<quoted text> I still don't see how this is going to bother the dead. It will bother those living, but the dead won't say one word in protest, never have, never will.
Its respect. Respect for the dead.
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#20 Feb 25, 2009
mystery logger wrote:
<quoted text>
Its respect. Respect for the dead.
That's correct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How safe is Bryson City? (Apr '13) Oct 22 alexandra 38
curious about tribal bingo (Sep '13) Oct 19 bumper 4
Cherokee Bingo Oct 19 bumper 1
Review: Bowed Up Archery LLC Oct 17 Former Customer 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Sylva, NC (Aug '10) Oct 14 Brian_G 19
Ghost town open? Oct 2 common sense 3
New Commercial Playground Equipment Business (Nov '09) Oct 1 dianacole 5
Cherokee Dating
Find my Match

Cherokee Jobs