No school-calendar exemption for WNC ...

No school-calendar exemption for WNC schools

There are 47 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Apr 1, 2009, titled No school-calendar exemption for WNC schools. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Raleigh An N.C. House committee rebuffed Western North Carolina legislators' attempt to exempt their local school systems from the state school calendar law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#41 Apr 2, 2009
ModerateOne wrote:
<quoted text>
And I know a little about tourism. And the month of October is the biggest tourism month in WNC. Two extra weeks of tourism in August at the expense of children is useless and asinine!!!!
You are correct, all the "leaf-lookers" stream in from states that don't have a season change. However, the lobbyists for the coastal counties and for tourism seem to have the upper hand in the legislature. Nobody in the legislature seems to understand the concept of "snow days" and who has them and who does not, and why the calendars should not be the same.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#42 Apr 3, 2009
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, all the "leaf-lookers" stream in from states that don't have a season change. However, the lobbyists for the coastal counties and for tourism seem to have the upper hand in the legislature. Nobody in the legislature seems to understand the concept of "snow days" and who has them and who does not, and why the calendars should not be the same.
It's really not a matter of who gets the most snow, it's that layer of ice that lingers. Anyone can drive on snow. In some of these hollows, the sun doesn't ever hit some of the dips and the roads stay frozen. I think they should be 'PC' and call it ice days!! lol Good morning Wiley.

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#43 Apr 3, 2009
Mtnbred wrote:
<quoted text>
It's really not a matter of who gets the most snow, it's that layer of ice that lingers. Anyone can drive on snow. In some of these hollows, the sun doesn't ever hit some of the dips and the roads stay frozen. I think they should be 'PC' and call it ice days!! lol Good morning Wiley.
Good morning to you, Mtnbred. You are indeed correct that it's the ice that's the problem. I guess the concept of "ice" is not known over on the coast. I really feel we need to contact our legislative delegation to put forth some legislation to allow the WNC counties to set their own school calendar.
Its Like This

Waterloo, Canada

#44 Apr 3, 2009
It is my understanding that school start dates are determined by how many school days were cancelled due to the snow. It is up to each district to file the proper paperwork and supporting evidence when asking for a change in their start dates. They simply aren't going to change it because mommie can't find a babysitter or because having to make up snow days has screwed up the family vacation.

The school calendar for the following school year in my county is sent home on the last day of school, allowing parents to plan ahead. My children's school started August 25 as indicated and will end on June 9, also as indicated. There are five teacher workdays figured into the calendar (not including those scheduled before and after students return or are out for the summer, nor including those worked into the holiday schedule: January 2 and 19). Three of the five scheduled work days come at the end of the grading period and there is one additional day during the fall semester and one during the spring.

I have zero problem with the schedule and I've never heard my kids complain about the schedule. I work, so its not like I'm lounging around the house with them all summer - once school is out, I do work 10 hours Monday-Thursday so I can be at home on Friday.

My oldest especially stays up late and sleeps in, then hangs out with his friends at the pool. My youngest goes to sports camps and works out if he feels like it. We barbecue often during the summer.

I think the schedule is perfect as it allows the kids more time to enjoy the summer.

Instead of complaining each time there is a snow day (and you know there will be and just because your road is clear, definitely doesn't mean all the others are too), maybe it is working to your advantage. Maybe if enough snow days are missed in consecutive years, you will get your wish, to allow your child to return to school early August and get out late May. But personally, I don't see what the big deal is if they get out on May 26 or June 9 ... that's what, ten extra days? Big deal!
community member

Waynesville, NC

#45 Apr 3, 2009
For those that think this late school calendar somehow increases kid's summertimes: Remember that since the calendar is 180 days, the length of summers is the same either way. With this ridiculous calendar for the mountain regions, kids have to sit and make up days until the middle of June. They could have been out 2 weeks earlier enjoying the nice comfortable summer days, and families could enjoy nice comfortable beach trips while it's still halfway comfortable in late May and early June. Tourism wins either way, so why does the calendar have to be decided by lobbyists instead of what is really best for children?

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#46 Apr 3, 2009
"""....But personally, I don't see what the big deal is if they get out on May 26 or June 9 ... that's what, ten extra days? Big deal!...""" "

My vacation falls on the first week in June and I don't like the make-up days and think they should go on Saturdays and thur Spring vacation...yep, works for me.
A Parent

Maxton, NC

#47 Apr 3, 2009
community member wrote:
For those that think this late school calendar somehow increases kid's summertimes: Remember that since the calendar is 180 days, the length of summers is the same either way. With this ridiculous calendar for the mountain regions, kids have to sit and make up days until the middle of June. They could have been out 2 weeks earlier enjoying the nice comfortable summer days, and families could enjoy nice comfortable beach trips while it's still halfway comfortable in late May and early June. Tourism wins either way, so why does the calendar have to be decided by lobbyists instead of what is really best for children?
Actually the length of the summer does vary depending upon the number of teacher work days and other breaks during the school year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hookers at harrahs (Mar '16) Thu Paula 8
Chisel Philips Sep 15 SomethingElse 2
Remembering chief Dennis Wolf (Aug '10) Sep 11 glhauser 16
Searching for my Cherokee bloodline Sep 6 John 1
What happen to spirit Bradley Sep 4 Yours truly 1
River Park Trailer Park (Aug '10) Aug 29 TLong 29
Cherokee Cabs (Mar '13) Aug 25 Gwy 3

Cherokee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance