No school-calendar exemption for WNC ...

No school-calendar exemption for WNC schools

There are 47 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Apr 1, 2009, titled No school-calendar exemption for WNC schools. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Raleigh An N.C. House committee rebuffed Western North Carolina legislators' attempt to exempt their local school systems from the state school calendar law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pro students

Asheville, NC

#1 Apr 1, 2009
What ever happened to KIDS FIRST ? Are we putting tourism before our future generations? Thank you Mr. Goforth for trying.
Ronald Frobnitz

Maxton, NC

#2 Apr 1, 2009
This is a defeat for North Carolina families. This committee is saying the greedy tourism business is more important than our children.
Ottogirl

United States

#3 Apr 1, 2009
Putting tourism ahead of education is rediculous--these kids have a horrible school calender. Some of them graduate in January, but it is too late to get into WCU or the local community colleges. What is wrong with the lawmakers in Raleigh?

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#4 Apr 1, 2009
""...But opponents, who say the calendar mandate helps summer businesses' profits and parents' vacation schedules, won the day when a House local government committee voted against both bills...""

What a crock of pure bullchit. Pure bullchit!! Okay then, keep the schools open all year and run the busses everyday---snow or not...everyday!! These busses start crashing on icy mountain roads will get their damn attention and take their minds off tourism. Pure bullchit.
average bear

Ward, AL

#5 Apr 1, 2009
"We think this is a victory for the travel and tourism industry and also the parents across the state of North Carolina," said David Huskins, a lobbyist for Smoky Mountain Host.

Yes and a blow to the educational needs of students in WNC. Lobbyist David Huskins should high-tail back to whatever rock he crawled out from underneath and keep his nose out of the education business. I say this as a parent who does not feel victorious about having my child's school schedule dictated by the tourism industry.

Since: Mar 09

franklin,nc

#6 Apr 1, 2009
One solution,start the school year after the 4th of july.go till Christmas break.Take off Jan. and Feb. and part of March.Solves the snow problem.And also the kids passing around sickness.Then go till mid june and have a 2 week break and graduation.
ModerateOne

Murphy, NC

#7 Apr 1, 2009
Yes, it is a vicotry for the travel industry, but it stinks for Education. I think it is very poor judgement for Smoky Mountain Host to put the almighty $$ ahead of education in WNC. I agree with Phil Haire, October is tourism month in WNC. In August it is hot as hades!!!!!!
ModerateOne

Murphy, NC

#8 Apr 1, 2009
David Huskins should be forced to resign. I don't want anyone "that" opposed to education representing WNC in anything!!!!!!

Since: Feb 09

Asheville, NC

#9 Apr 1, 2009
I don't see why they don't run school year-round.
option 2 see post #6
Danny Pillsbury

Maxton, NC

#10 Apr 1, 2009
Pro students wrote:
What ever happened to KIDS FIRST ? Are we putting tourism before our future generations? Thank you Mr. Goforth for trying.
Why does everyone, including Mr. Goforth, think that the education children receive is quantitative? The number of days has very little to do with the quality of education a child receives. Let's quit worrying about 180 days (I know this is a state mandate) and focus on the quality of the education. When I was a child in the Buncombe County School system, I started school after Labor Day and got out of school before Memorial Day, and two degrees (BA & MA), I think I turned out alright.

Since: Feb 09

Mills River, NC

#11 Apr 1, 2009
You folks don't actually think anyone in Raleigh gives a flip about WNC do you, it's always been that way and won't change under the present dictator..BEV PURDUE. Get used to begging and digging for what we need here because no one listens in Raleigh.
aarp

Blackstock, SC

#12 Apr 1, 2009
I am so tired of doing everthing for the tourists. The school kids and their families are the ones that keep businesses going during the "off season". Our children's education should be top priority. Thank you to those who have tried to change the schdule.
west asheville

Sewickley, PA

#13 Apr 1, 2009
WTF do tourists have to do with kids going to school?
a teacher

Clyde, NC

#14 Apr 1, 2009
Maybe the bill passed, in part, because of tourism lobbyists but studies show that students who take end of course tests AFTER winter break actually score better than those who take their EOC test before Christmas. I think it is prudent to test students after the break when they are well rested. Too, students who graduate in January can apply to the college of their choice before January, be accepted and still attend in mid-January. Most universities and community colleges begin in mid-January anyway.
Drunk and Disorderly

Maxton, NC

#15 Apr 1, 2009
Ronald Frobnitz wrote:
This is a defeat for North Carolina families. This committee is saying the greedy tourism business is more important than our children.
Maybe the families like their summer vacations.
Buford T Justice

Boone, NC

#16 Apr 1, 2009
Pssh. They get more snow in Greensboro than they do in Murphy. Average annual snowfall is 8.6" vs. 7", respectively.

http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/h...
Ignorance is No Excuse

Maxton, NC

#17 Apr 1, 2009
aarp wrote:
I am so tired of doing everthing for the tourists. The school kids and their families are the ones that keep businesses going during the "off season". Our children's education should be top priority. Thank you to those who have tried to change the schdule.
Just curious, but exactly what else gets done for "the tourists"?

Sorry, but this whole issue is a crock. This has NOTHING to do with the schedule and EVERYTHING to do with control. It's stictly a power trip by the local school administrators who want to

--Start schools around August 1
--Have as many needless teacher work days as possible during the year
--Close school at the drop of a snowflake
--And still extend school into early June.

How did the school start date go from late August (or early September, as is still the case in many states) years ago to early August, and yet school gets out no earlier with the same number of days of instruction?

You people have been duped.
mayberry

Weaverville, NC

#18 Apr 1, 2009
Of course - the state gets alot of money from WNC - they will not risk losing tourist money for anything. Can we join South carolina? better taxes, better governor.
Jen Hooper

Maxton, NC

#19 Apr 1, 2009
Ignorance is No Excuse wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious, but exactly what else gets done for "the tourists"?
Sorry, but this whole issue is a crock. This has NOTHING to do with the schedule and EVERYTHING to do with control. It's stictly a power trip by the local school administrators who want to
--Start schools around August 1
--Have as many needless teacher work days as possible during the year
--Close school at the drop of a snowflake
--And still extend school into early June.
How did the school start date go from late August (or early September, as is still the case in many states) years ago to early August, and yet school gets out no earlier with the same number of days of instruction?
You people have been duped.
This has nothing to do with the tourists and everything to do with the profiteers who get rich from the fools who part with their money on vacations.
Weaver Bill

Maxton, NC

#20 Apr 1, 2009
mayberry wrote:
Of course - the state gets alot of money from WNC - they will not risk losing tourist money for anything. Can we join South carolina? better taxes, better governor.
I think this was mostly an eastern NC issue. They lobbied heavily for this several years ago when it was first passed. The tourism industry there is much more dependent upon summer business and summer student workers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hookers at harrahs (Mar '16) 12 hr hillary 10
Cherokee Cabs (Mar '13) Sat 2BeeFare 5
Beware of Julie - Hairdresser (Feb '16) Dec 4 Humpbrella Attack 15
Searching for my Cherokee bloodline Nov 24 Project TANASI 2
Remembering chief Dennis Wolf (Aug '10) Nov 17 Malo USMC 17
Blacks ( our own ISIS) Oct '17 Wetinpantyhose 2
News News-Record & Sentinel: Arrest report (Nov '07) Oct '17 jrgsc 9

Cherokee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance