video Wal-Mart Supercenter on hold in Franklin

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

Plans for a new Wal-Mart Supercenter are on hold, a Franklin town official said this week.
Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lucy Clark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2007

Judged:

I think the Super Wal-Mart would do a credit to Franklin.

We need more jobs not crime. We need our own Super Wal-Mart so we can stop driving over to Sylvia to buy from theirs. I know the people of Franklin spends a lot of money in out of town stores.

I think everyone should focus on the gangs we have in Franklin.

If people are worried about stores coming to Franklin. I have not heard anything about it.
I only hear good news. Everyone is excited about it. It a good thing.

What will destroy Franklin, is when anyone hears about any type of GANGS. I love to shop. I want my safety when I do. What will and is making a bad name for Franklin is the gangs. Its already losing (A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE). If crime continues as it is today. Twenty years from now it will be know as the gang town with high crime rates.

So lets have some nice places to shop and eat. I get tired of having to travel to Asheville to shop or eat. We could save on Gas also. If we could shop at home.

Plus we leave a lot of money in another city. That could be spent at home. We need a Olive Garden. Chills, Apple-bees, ECT.
Franklin Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

personally I don't go to Sylva or Clayton,Ga Super Walmarts -- ours has what I need and I support THIS community... for me its not a matter whether we get the Super Center its the idea of losing the ENTIRE center we ALREADY have -- all the stores in the current center have the option to move and close - breaking their leases should Walmart move..I have heard ALOT of people stating they don't want the super center in a new building and think Walmart should consider the proposal offered by the current leasing agent to expand the CURRENT location instead of creating an empty box eye sore of the current location...how can you think THAT will CREATE jobs??? Not everyone WANTS to work at Walmart...after all they don't exactly have a great reputation (do a search on Walmart practices and all the law suits its employees have going on for discrimination and various other complaints....)stop just thinking of short term gas savings and piddly part time jobs ..think of the BIGGER picture...loss of current businesses and the jobs they had created,the effect of the current center being EMPTY -- not an easy thing to find another business to lease,how will these things effect the community as a whole???

As for gangs -- I really don't think a few extra Walmart jobs will stop those -- be a bit realistic ..but losing all the businesses in the current center surely won't help either...but offer the kids/teens something besides the expensive Fun Factory as a place to hang out - I see so many kids dropped off their by parents and as soon as the parent is gone the kids are gone walking the neighborhoods...and getting into things ...people need to be more aware and involved in their kids lives so they aren't lead into gangs in the first place...

As for restaurants - try supporting the current ones we do have -- we have some great ones like Motor City Grill,Chef and his Wife,not to mention the lil diners we have (no not talking about just the huddle house) but the family owned ones, what about willies B B Que or any of the many others....so save your gas and support your hometown stores and restaurants....want big city then move to to one.....

not sure if post will show it but I am a current resident and business owner here in Franklin,NC ( no Walmart will NOT compete with my business as I am NOT in retail)
jwal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

Ive lived in several places that had this same debate. The Supercenter finally came and everything was alright. It brought with it a few more restaurants and small retail business, and everyone else stayed open. Reminds me of where I grew up. There was an attorney who owned the local grocery store. Whenever Food Lion would consider buying a property to build on, he would buy it. His prices in the local store are outrageous. Growth is inevitable, and as long as its done smart, Im all for it. Just because the first poster wanted an Applebees, Olive Garden, etc, doesnt mean they want Franklin to be a big city. Franklin will never be a big city, I dont care how much stuff you put here, its still going to be a very small town. I think people want some variety and there is nothing wrong with that at all.
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Did anyone consider the traffic congestion problems from the schools, along with the existing sewage problems along the river. What will traffic be like when school is beginning or letting out, that little two lane road can't handle the Middle School traffic, now there is the 5-6 School, then add a Super Center. Betcha the whole thing is about getting a new road built for the developer adjacent to the Library and SCC but how much will all that cost the taxpayers and how will the sewage, water and traffic problems be solved? Oh, increase taxes!
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

jwal wrote:
Ive lived in several places that had this same debate. The Supercenter finally came and everything was alright. It brought with it a few more restaurants and small retail business, and everyone else stayed open. Reminds me of where I grew up. There was an attorney who owned the local grocery store. Whenever Food Lion would consider buying a property to build on, he would buy it. His prices in the local store are outrageous. Growth is inevitable, and as long as its done smart, Im all for it. Just because the first poster wanted an Applebees, Olive Garden, etc, doesnt mean they want Franklin to be a big city. Franklin will never be a big city, I dont care how much stuff you put here, its still going to be a very small town. I think people want some variety and there is nothing wrong with that at all.
Wal Mart doesn't have "variety", in fact they are cutting back on selections, narrowing the choices with more mass buying.
Shopper

Brasstown, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Bi-LO) prices and congestion there will be less,Yippee.
imfromthere

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2010

that shopping center is so bad....when it rains I bet there are 50 buckets catching the leaking water im Wal-Mart, it's not safe to shop...that's not the only tennant with that problem either, ask the other renters what it's like in their space...Look how long it took to repair the road in front of Ingles, I can't beleive Ingles have stayed this long.
Liberal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

The jobs that a super walmmart will bring are not that great. Walmart is not an employer that treats it's people good nor do they pay them well. And yes it will hurt locally owned buisnesses. Walmart always does.
Freedom

Brasstown, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

Wal-Mart is already in Franklin and the only harm the wm superstore will do is lower grocery prices at bi-lo and ingles.
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

Judged:

Part-time jobs with minimum wages and not benefits, wheeeeee, Great Jobs!
sharon

Townsend, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

do not know if anyone wants to know how Wal-Mart prices their items....but when ordering an item..the dept.manager is told to double the bottom price before putting the item on the shelf to sell. Now this price is what is set...that the corp. headquarters"thinks" the buyer will pay for it...not the actual cost of the item in "whatever" country the item was made for....."child labor" , etc. Then those "sell" prices.....just look at the season changes....when any item is maked down to it'sloswest level.......take a shirt....marked down to 2.00.....if you were to realy know that this shirt actualy cost 1.25 to make.....you would never pay the first price of 19.79...or the following "marked downs".....then when the mark downs hit bottom....the stuff"disappears"... ..no it is sent to Robs' stores. Rob's is a discount store......all merchandise goes. In olden times the mark downs not wanted were tossed out the back into the dumpsters.....but people turned this in to news media.....then along came the Rob's plan. Dog food that was broken, that used to go into the trash, now goes to shelters. These changes did not happen overnight....no years for this to happen.
Emploees that were being paid little to nothing for all their hard work, complained about all the waste. Somethings were changed for the better.
Wal-Mart always wants to build a "new" store, where the old one would do just fine. This is their way. This does not make it good, or right, it is just the Wal-Mart way.After Sam died , the new CEO stated .....it is all about the bottom line.Profit. This is why the employees have had to fight for rights. In Wal-Marts thinking....the "employees" take away from the bottom line. Things like Insurance , Cobra, sick time, vacation time. All takes away from the profit. Go into a store...see if the employees seem happy to be a work, or are they complaining.....then you will know what type of manager is over them. Deside if you want to spend "your" money there. If a "new" building is built, same folks will be at the "new" one. Is this an improvement? Is it a plus for the area?
The add the road work, changes, congestion,safety..is it teill worth a "new" store?
Freedom

Brasstown, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

Go buy at local dept stores or wherever and the same pricing within reason is practiced and the clothing are made by the same people. The employees at most mom and pop dept stores wages and benefits also compare to Wally World.
sharon

Townsend, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Freedom wrote:
Go buy at local dept stores or wherever and the same pricing within reason is practiced and the clothing are made by the same people. The employees at most mom and pop dept stores wages and benefits also compare to Wally World.
This is true. Also the trift stores are great to.
Capitalist Pig

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Oh cry me a river you dirty headed liberal. If it is sold retail it is made the same way walmart's is made. It pisses off those who work hard for a living hear about how lifes not fair and and those who dont have anything need your help. To damn bad. Grow up get a job and if it is minimum wage ask yourself "What am I doing wrong?". I built a business from nothing. Why? Because I decided to do something with my life. Get off welfare, food satmps and what ever scam you got going and earn your way by sweat.
sharon wrote:
do not know if anyone wants to know how Wal-Mart prices their items....but when ordering an item..the dept.manager is told to double the bottom price before putting the item on the shelf to sell. Now this price is what is set...that the corp. headquarters"thinks" the buyer will pay for it...not the actual cost of the item in "whatever" country the item was made for....."child labor" , etc. Then those "sell" prices.....just look at the season changes....when any item is maked down to it'sloswest level.......take a shirt....marked down to 2.00.....if you were to realy know that this shirt actualy cost 1.25 to make.....you would never pay the first price of 19.79...or the following "marked downs".....then when the mark downs hit bottom....the stuff"disappears"... ..no it is sent to Robs' stores. Rob's is a discount store......all merchandise goes. In olden times the mark downs not wanted were tossed out the back into the dumpsters.....but people turned this in to news media.....then along came the Rob's plan. Dog food that was broken, that used to go into the trash, now goes to shelters. These changes did not happen overnight....no years for this to happen.
Emploees that were being paid little to nothing for all their hard work, complained about all the waste. Somethings were changed for the better.
Wal-Mart always wants to build a "new" store, where the old one would do just fine. This is their way. This does not make it good, or right, it is just the Wal-Mart way.After Sam died , the new CEO stated .....it is all about the bottom line.Profit. This is why the employees have had to fight for rights. In Wal-Marts thinking....the "employees" take away from the bottom line. Things like Insurance , Cobra, sick time, vacation time. All takes away from the profit. Go into a store...see if the employees seem happy to be a work, or are they complaining.....then you will know what type of manager is over them. Deside if you want to spend "your" money there. If a "new" building is built, same folks will be at the "new" one. Is this an improvement? Is it a plus for the area?
The add the road work, changes, congestion,safety..is it teill worth a "new" store?
American

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Capitalist Pig wrote:
Oh cry me a river you dirty headed liberal. If it is sold retail it is made the same way walmart's is made. It pisses off those who work hard for a living hear about how lifes not fair and and those who dont have anything need your help. To damn bad. Grow up get a job and if it is minimum wage ask yourself "What am I doing wrong?". I built a business from nothing. Why? Because I decided to do something with my life. Get off welfare, food satmps and what ever scam you got going and earn your way by sweat.
<quoted text>
Barring inheritance and physical-mental problems we are all where we are due to choices we made.We all made our bed and now we have to sleep in it,wahhhhhhh.
Ghost Dog

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Capitalist Pig wrote:
<quoted text>
You had a business, that's laughable! Why did you go broke?
Capitalist Pig

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

It is have and I do well because of WORK ethic. I get paid well for my service. We live in a sick world when hard work and success is a bad thing.
BTW walmart competes with me and yes they have some lower prices. Its my reputation and word keeps customers happy.
Ghost Dog wrote:
<quoted text>You had a business, that's laughable! Why did you go broke?
sharon

Townsend, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Capitalist Pig wrote:
<quoted text>
Usualy I would not respond to someone who knows nothing about me , or the fact I have and still do work very hard, and have never been on food stamps........but realy..........
As far as sweat........everyday......... .
As far as dont have........I have what I need. Thank you very much.

So..........were you talking about yourself? Why do you use the name "pig" in you name?
Several of my family's friends have had pigs and they are very
intelligent..........what happened to you?
sharon

Townsend, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2010

Aug 17-2010

Looks like Franklin gets its' "new" Wal-Mart.

Oh- the residents voicing their concern where told , they had no concerns of value........

Wasn't that just soooooooooooo thoughtful??????

The next article was about how jobs are and will be cut.......not enough money.........

Choices, choices, choices.....seems the county will make ALL the decisions for everyone........
Are you ready for their next ones?
Freedom

Brasstown, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2010

Yippeee, you anti-capitalist can pound sand.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 4 hr Franklin 58,264
Remembering chief Dennis Wolf (Aug '10) Thu niteowl4 10
Debate: Marijuana - Robbinsville, NC (Aug '10) Aug 19 bikefix 9
looking Aug 19 bikefix 1
heritage Aug 17 citizen 3
Select Homes Property Management Company Aug 14 Seth Ashford 2
Amanda Sutton Aug 13 anonymous 9

Search the Cherokee Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Cherokee Jobs

•••