No school-calendar change for mountai...

No school-calendar change for mountain schools

There are 17 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Apr 1, 2009, titled No school-calendar change for mountain schools. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

RALEIGH A N.C. House committee Wednesday rebuffed Western North Carolina legislators seeking to exempt their local school systems from the state school-calendar law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

greenman

Asheville, NC

#1 Apr 2, 2009
That's wonderful news. Our schools miss school for snow when there is hardly any snow to begin with.
ModerateOne

Murphy, NC

#2 Apr 2, 2009
What a dumb law!! Each school system should be allowed to decide when it starts and stops school!! This is crazy.

As far as missing school with hardly any snow. Well, I don't know about that. I don't get up and drive every road in the county at 5:00 AM. I do know that sometimes it snows more in one part of our county than it does in others. Maybe greenman is "green" in this area!!
disappointed

Piedmont, SC

#3 Apr 2, 2009
Obviously, greenman and others in the legislature feel that the children and parents don't come first, that the lobbyists for travel and tourism should decide how to educate our students. I am disappointed that this change was made in the first place, 180 days in school is 180 days in school whether it falls earlier in August or not. There aren't any businesses that have profited from this calendar change. I'd rather go vacationing in June than August anyway, and it does not make me feel good about giving "tourism and travel" my business.
Standing on the sidelines

United States

#4 Apr 2, 2009
Kudos to Phil Haire for trying to push the bill forward. It is very frustrating as a parent to have to deal with the late start date and the myrid of snow days, possible cancellation of spring break, and carryover of the semester into January. The likes of David Huskins do not know what is best for school children. Hopefully, the recession will show the tourist industry that the world does not revolve around it when tourism is significantly down this year because people will not have money to take vacation.
Unimportant children

United States

#5 Apr 2, 2009
So once again our children are put on the back burner and money, money, money is all you people think about. Maybe when you get old and these kids grow up the will just take away your nursing homes except for certain times of the year as well as all of the other things that we need as we get older just as the kids need things as they grow. What is it to you to decide if you are not where the snow is then follow your rule and let the mountain area do what it has to.
seriously

Piedmont, SC

#6 Apr 2, 2009
I wonder how many other states base their school calendar on tourism?
Ignorance is No Excuse

Maxton, NC

#7 Apr 2, 2009
I posted this yesterday and I will say it again. Sorry, but this whole issue is a crock. This has NOTHING to do with the schedule and EVERYTHING to do with control. It's stictly a power trip by the local school administrators who want to

--Start schools around August 1
--Have as many needless teacher work days as possible during the year
--Close school at the drop of a snowflake
--And still extend school into early June.

How did the school start date go from late August (or early September, as is still the case in many states) years ago to early August, and yet school gets out no earlier with the same number of days of instruction? How is it some states don't start school until late August or Labor Day and yet get out by early June?
Paranoia Will Destroy Ya

Maxton, NC

#8 Apr 2, 2009
Unimportant children wrote:
So once again our children are put on the back burner and money, money, money is all you people think about. Maybe when you get old and these kids grow up the will just take away your nursing homes except for certain times of the year as well as all of the other things that we need as we get older just as the kids need things as they grow. What is it to you to decide if you are not where the snow is then follow your rule and let the mountain area do what it has to.
How does any of this hurt kids as long as they receive 180 days of instruction?
We'd be better off anyway with year-round schools. If you want to really help education, push for that.
Lance

Hoschton, GA

#9 Apr 2, 2009
When I was a kid, they managed to get all the school days close to on time. If I recall, they just used the unnecessary Teacher "Work" Days. You'd think, with Global Warming, there would be even fewer missed days.
Unaka Man

Micro, NC

#10 Apr 2, 2009
How does this hurt the students?
1) HS students have to return to school after Christmas break to take exams. This ALWAYS lowers scores and affects college entrance.
2) Students (and parents) trying to save money by enrolling in college dual enrollment programs while they're in high school are impeded because now the college and high school calendars don't match. These programs save parents and students thousands of dollars in future tuition costs.
3) College summer semesters start before students graduate from high school. This restricts financial aid and causes unecessary impediments to the students trying to enroll during the summer, in many cases to get a jump start on theri college careers.

Folks, the real issue here is that the needs of the students have been ignored and placed secondary to the needs of the tourist industry, and there is no evidence to suggest that the tourism industry would be negatively affected if the mountain schools were allowed an exemption from this egregious law.

"Power trip by local school authorities"? That's the most absurd comment I've seen yet on this issue. I've been in education for 20 years. Believe me, "power trips" are the last things on the minds of responsible educators.
A Parent

Maxton, NC

#11 Apr 2, 2009
Unaka Man wrote:
How does this hurt the students?
1) HS students have to return to school after Christmas break to take exams. This ALWAYS lowers scores and affects college entrance.
2) Students (and parents) trying to save money by enrolling in college dual enrollment programs while they're in high school are impeded because now the college and high school calendars don't match. These programs save parents and students thousands of dollars in future tuition costs.
3) College summer semesters start before students graduate from high school. This restricts financial aid and causes unecessary impediments to the students trying to enroll during the summer, in many cases to get a jump start on theri college careers.
Folks, the real issue here is that the needs of the students have been ignored and placed secondary to the needs of the tourist industry, and there is no evidence to suggest that the tourism industry would be negatively affected if the mountain schools were allowed an exemption from this egregious law.
"Power trip by local school authorities"? That's the most absurd comment I've seen yet on this issue. I've been in education for 20 years. Believe me, "power trips" are the last things on the minds of responsible educators.
So how is it we went from starting school in late August or around Labor Day not too long ago, to needing to start in early August? And how is it many states can still do it, and their students don't suffer?
A Parent

Maxton, NC

#12 Apr 2, 2009
Unaka Man wrote:
What makes you think all educators are "responsible"? Yikes.
Unaka Man

Micro, NC

#13 Apr 2, 2009
A Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think all educators are "responsible"? Yikes.
Parent, please don't put words in my mouth. The word, "all" is nowhere in my last post.
More to the point, prior to the legislation that changed the school calendars, the colleges and school calendars were aligned. Scheduling and registration of classes went very smoothly.
Comparison to other states and how they do it is really irrelevent, here. The point, again, is that the students were not the primary consideration in this whole mess, and they should have been.
Manager

Maxton, NC

#14 Apr 2, 2009
Ignorance is No Excuse wrote:
I posted this yesterday and I will say it again. Sorry, but this whole issue is a crock. This has NOTHING to do with the schedule and EVERYTHING to do with control. It's stictly a power trip by the local school administrators who want to
--Start schools around August 1
--Have as many needless teacher work days as possible during the year
--Close school at the drop of a snowflake
--And still extend school into early June.
How did the school start date go from late August (or early September, as is still the case in many states) years ago to early August, and yet school gets out no earlier with the same number of days of instruction? How is it some states don't start school until late August or Labor Day and yet get out by early June?
Probably because they dont have a teacher work day everytime they turn around.Yes use to we had several weeks out of school for summer break..then the optional teacher work days grew..and grew..till school was out nearly the middle of june and back in early august. Now that is the crock!
A Parent

Maxton, NC

#15 Apr 2, 2009
Unaka Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Parent, please don't put words in my mouth. The word, "all" is nowhere in my last post.
More to the point, prior to the legislation that changed the school calendars, the colleges and school calendars were aligned. Scheduling and registration of classes went very smoothly.
Comparison to other states and how they do it is really irrelevent, here. The point, again, is that the students were not the primary consideration in this whole mess, and they should have been.
I did not mean to put words in your mouth. My apologies.(However, I do believe that some educators are not responsible.)

So you are saying that schools started in late August/early September BEFORE the school calendars were aligned with the community colleges calendars, and that's the reason that school starts much earlier now than 20 years ago when I was in school?

And the point about how other states do it is very relevant. Do they not align calendars with community colleges? You can't just dismiss it by saying it's not relevant.
a teacher

Clyde, NC

#16 Apr 2, 2009
Aligning public school calendars with community college calendars is not necessary--if community colleges and universities begin a few days before public schools begin, nothing stops students from attending those classes before their public school classes.
Unaka Man

Princeton Junction, NJ

#17 Apr 2, 2009
a teacher wrote:
Aligning public school calendars with community college calendars is not necessary--if community colleges and universities begin a few days before public schools begin, nothing stops students from attending those classes before their public school classes.
Theoretically, you're correct. The reality is that, especially in the fall, by the time students return to high school, the registration dates for college classes have passed. Of course, extra efforts by the parents and college staff in terms of early registration, etc. can seek to minimize this problem, but it would be easier and more efficient for all parties if the problem didn't exist in the first place. It's an unnecessary barrier, put in place by decisions made without regard to what's best for the student.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swain County Sheriff Dept. Officers & Irrespons... (May '12) Aug 13 Anonymous 31
Tribal Bingo (May '10) Jul 23 Jane Doe 21
Nathan Burchfield Jul 19 Squaw 2
Little cuties that work at Pop's Jul 19 Stupid people 1
Need some women!!! Jul '17 Stupid people 1
Theresa braham Jul '17 Jade 1
Swing shift at mill Jul '17 thirstyman 1

Cherokee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cherokee Mortgages