Who do you support for Sheriff in Nor...

Who do you support for Sheriff in North Carolina (Swain County) in 2010?

Posted in the Cherokee Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fair and Balanced

Franklin, NC

#1 Oct 13, 2010
He has done a wonderful job, the office has a policy of getting rid of as many durgs as they can in Swain. If you go look at the court records you can see that is what they are doing. Awesome job!
Insightful

United States

#2 Oct 13, 2010
John will be an sheriff for all the people. He is a bright young man with vision and dedication. He will bring leadership and direction to the department.
saddened

United States

#3 Oct 14, 2010
Insightful.. I certainly agree with you. John reaches out to people and listens to what they have to say which I think he would be an asset to Swain County.
THE DEMS

United States

#4 Oct 15, 2010
Insightful wrote:
John will be an sheriff for all the people. He is a bright young man with vision and dedication. He will bring leadership and direction to the department.
May be, but will he be A sheriff?

Since: Mar 09

Asheville, NC

#5 Oct 15, 2010
I know both candidates personally, and like both of them. However, Cochran's tenure as Sheriff has proven that he is in over his head. That's not to say Ensley will be better, but I believe he will do a better job at following the law. For voters who are unsure, go check out the Sheriff and his deputies work as witnesses. How many people charged with crimes in Swain County have had their cases dismissed because of illegal pullovers, illegal searches and just bad police work? That's the kind of thing that isn't making it into the local paper that should.
night train

Bryson City, NC

#6 Oct 17, 2010
keep up the good work
Archie

United States

#7 Oct 22, 2010
Fair and Balanced wrote:
He has done a wonderful job, the office has a policy of getting rid of as many durgs as they can in Swain. If you go look at the court records you can see that is what they are doing. Awesome job!
That is true but you should look at how many of those cases were thrown out of court because of the lack of expirence we need someone who will use expirienced peaple as deputies and investigators not peaple who have been fired from other counties John Ensley for Sheriff
icu812

Coudersport, PA

#8 Oct 25, 2010
Lets see in one hand we have Cochran, and the other Ensley. I sure hate to pick between Cat Shit and Dog Shit. Looks like the next four years are going to be shity no matter who wins.
Maiden Hope

Franklin, NC

#9 Oct 26, 2010
You never really know how they will do until they get the office. Alot of folks like myself have supported Curtice in the past, he became cruel and careless. I stopped supporting him when I saw him start using churches in the area for his politics and when I saw him do things that were down right mean. I think the position of Sheriff is a difficult one, but an honerable position. John Ensley may do a pretty good job, don't know till they get into the office. But an old man told me a story about the kindness that a man had shown him one day while he was out working, I was glad to know that people still cared about the old folks. John Ensley was the man who had been kind to that old fellow. He has my vote.
Too Dam old

United States

#10 Oct 26, 2010
In my 76 years of living in Swain County I have never seen a sheriff that has worked the funerals like Cochron. I have reached the time in my life where I have to attend too many funerals. He has been at every one that I have had to go to. Even on the reservation. He has been at some that the family didnĎt want him there. Please understand me I think when CC knows the family he should go. I just donít think he should use county funds to attend funerals. He should go off the clock and take his private car, wear a suit, work the morners and get his votes on his personal time. I know the policy on deputies helping at funerals. Let Deputies do it unless the families ask for the sheriff. Deputies are not up for election every four years, just their boss so they should try to make a good appearance. I just donít like people taking advantage of folks that are grieving, at a time when it is just hard to make a decision. This county does not need a professional mourner. It needs a professional Sheriff. Thatís why this Republican will be voting for John Ensley. CC will not get this old vote again. I just think it is tacky trying to obtain votes at funerals.
Old Democrat woman

United States

#11 Oct 27, 2010
Too Dam old wrote:
In my 76 years of living in Swain County I have never seen a sheriff that has worked the funerals like Cochron. I have reached the time in my life where I have to attend too many funerals. He has been at every one that I have had to go to. Even on the reservation. He has been at some that the family didnĎt want him there. Please understand me I think when CC knows the family he should go. I just donít think he should use county funds to attend funerals. He should go off the clock and take his private car, wear a suit, work the morners and get his votes on his personal time. I know the policy on deputies helping at funerals. Let Deputies do it unless the families ask for the sheriff. Deputies are not up for election every four years, just their boss so they should try to make a good appearance. I just donít like people taking advantage of folks that are grieving, at a time when it is just hard to make a decision. This county does not need a professional mourner. It needs a professional Sheriff. Thatís why this Republican will be voting for John Ensley. CC will not get this old vote again. I just think it is tacky trying to obtain votes at funerals.
I voted for Curtis, he has a HEART for everyone in Swain county!!!!! He has done the a GOOD JOB for the last four years! And yes i am a Democrat!!!!!!!
Old Democrat woman

United States

#12 Oct 27, 2010
I voted for Curtis, he has a Heart for everyone in Swain county!!!! He has done a GOOD JOB for the last four years! And yes i am a Democrat!!!!!!!
Too Dam old

United States

#13 Oct 27, 2010
Old Democrat woman wrote:
I voted for Curtis, he has a Heart for everyone in Swain county!!!! He has done a GOOD JOB for the last four years! And yes i am a Democrat!!!!!!!
No you are a DINO, Democrat In Name Only. Just trying to keep some of your family in a state or county job. Most all of my Republicans friends know about your kind of back door Republicans that claim to be Democrats. CC has let people escape he is the worse Sheriff I have seen in my 76 years. And that is saying something because the Democrat sheriffs have been nothing to write home about. This is a free forum and I don't plan on shutting my mouth. Some of you voters need to use your head when you vote and not your emotional heart.
JOHN ENSLEY

United States

#14 Oct 28, 2010
We must have a change in our Swain County Detention Department. Lawsuits, escaped inmates, with the help of detention employees, rudeness of leader and employees and lack of knowledge and leadership of the
law has cost the county many dollars plus much heartache and pain.
We must put John Ensley in as our Swain County Sheriff. John is trained in law enforcement and leadership(unlike our present sheriff) and can train and lead his employees (unlike our present sheriff) in the right direction. John is so involved with our entire county...not just one area...and will be an asset for our people.
maroon

United States

#15 Oct 28, 2010
JOHN ENSLEY wrote:
We must have a change in our Swain County Detention Department. Lawsuits, escaped inmates, with the help of detention employees, rudeness of leader and employees and lack of knowledge and leadership of the
law has cost the county many dollars plus much heartache and pain.
We must put John Ensley in as our Swain County Sheriff. John is trained in law enforcement and leadership(unlike our present sheriff) and can train and lead his employees (unlike our present sheriff) in the right direction. John is so involved with our entire county...not just one area...and will be an asset for our people.
I don't know where you get the idea that john ensley is so well trained. how many years has it been since he was a detention officer in florida?He is no more involved in this county than a lot of other people.Cochran has been a good sheriff and he has my vote.
saddened

United States

#16 Oct 30, 2010
maroon... you sound like a broken record. your jibber jabber is always about the same. why don't you go soak your head for awhile maybe a couple a months and maybe you can come up with a little better crap to yap about. John Ensley has more knowledge about how to treat people, knows how to run a successful business knows more about being a sheriff than Curtis Cochran ever will be. John Ensley is a very nice man. He is friendly and kind to people even when he wasn't running for Sheriff, unlike cc. cochran is nice to people when he thinks there may be a vote in it for him. He is a shinny example of a Wolf in Sheeps clothing.
maroon

United States

#17 Oct 31, 2010
saddened wrote:
maroon... you sound like a broken record. your jibber jabber is always about the same. why don't you go soak your head for awhile maybe a couple a months and maybe you can come up with a little better crap to yap about. John Ensley has more knowledge about how to treat people, knows how to run a successful business knows more about being a sheriff than Curtis Cochran ever will be. John Ensley is a very nice man. He is friendly and kind to people even when he wasn't running for Sheriff, unlike cc. cochran is nice to people when he thinks there may be a vote in it for him. He is a shinny example of a Wolf in Sheeps clothing.
I have as much right to post my opinion as you do.I knew cochran before he ever considered being sheriff.he was always courteous and friendly.I have never said that ensley wasn't a nice person or unfriendly.His successful business is based on selling mtn. property to out of state buyers.Just because he has an impressive office and waterfall on the corner of town doesn't make him a succcess.Most of the law enforcement officers in this county are more qualified to be sheriff than he is.I don't think he is more qualified than cochran who has done an outstanding job.He has made a lot of enemies because he has arrested a lot of drug dealers and law breakers.CC has my vote.
saddened

United States

#18 Nov 1, 2010
curtis cochran has chosen the drug dealers he wanted to arrest. Just because he has made some arrest doesn't mean they will be convicted. wonder how many cases will get dismissed because of unlawful arrests or sloppy police work. There are lots of good officers in Swain County but If beating the crap out of a handcuffed man and allowing some of his deputies to do the same makes cc a good sheriff then I guess he is the best. cc will not get my vote. Johnny Ensley will.
Gabriel Clark

United States

#19 Nov 2, 2010
Curtis is a joke...I can't believe he got voted in for a second term. He should really go to prudential real estate in bryson and thank them for helping elect him. I truly can not fathom the idea as to why the citizens of swain county would willingly vote for him. Maybe it was the fact that he used the sheriff dept cars to haul INMATES to the polls to vote...hmmmmmmm wonder how an INMATE is going to vote. Well i guess Curtis going to nearly every funeral visitation worked in his favor in getting votes. Good lord people...please wise up. It is obviously to late for this election...maybe by next election people will see Curtis for what he is and not for the facade he portrays.
Whatever

Coudersport, PA

#20 Nov 2, 2010
I have read about Sheriff Cochran using the funerals to campaign. What if he did? But, what if he felt like it was his obligation to pay respects, afterall, he is the highest ranking Officer, and most likely the most powerful person in the county. Oh yea, and have you thought that just maybe it takes the load off the road officers having to lead the funeral procession? I compliment the Sheriff for doing it. You talked about him using the sheriff dept cars to haul inmates to vote?? there was over a thousand vote margin!! I dont think there are that many inmates. not only that, he was driving his own personal car today!!
I feel like the county has spoken, and no matter who is in office, someone is not going to like how things are ran. I think Sheriff Cochran has been an asset to the county. He tries to get his officers whatever they need to do their jobs, he listens to their concerns and acts on them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ghosttown In the Sky (Feb '11) Sun jody2015 8
Terry Arvey-Embezzlement Charges (Oct '12) May 30 wombieroo 10
Drug Dealers (Aug '08) May 29 hahah 43
Anybody find any Morels/ Dry Land Fish yet (Apr '13) May 27 Buford 9
No one cares what florida people want May 24 Sup 2
News Public perspectives on Corridor K (May '11) May 10 Native 12
News Wedding: Brittney Solesby & Charles Surrett May 10 ApePeeD 1
More from around the web

Cherokee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE