Looking for members of Thompson Family

Looking for members of Thompson Family

Posted in the Cherokee Forum

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#1 Jan 22, 2011
I recently after 38 years found my biological family after being adopted at an early age. Linda Thompson (whom has since remarried) is my biological mother. I have uncles Jerry and Ray Thompson and aunts also. I am part Cherokee. I have family living in Cherokee.

I am looking to reach out to any family that I had to find connections and hopefully someone that has a picture of my biological father, Dee James Morrow. He was killed when I was 6. I will be planning a trip this coming summer to Cherokee to try to connect with anyone I have left.

Any help would be appreciated. My mother's father was a full blooded Cherokee and a former chief.
FBI

Cullowhee, NC

#2 Jan 22, 2011
Everyones grandprents are Full blooded Cherokee
Hat-head

Sevierville, TN

#3 Jan 31, 2011
We all have heard the jokes about everyone's grands being full-blooded Cherokees, even chiefs, Cherokee princesses, etc., however this was not the place for that comment to have been made.

Miss NotYourHuckleberry, who is adopted, is in the probably fragile --- and possibly intimidating -- position of looking for her blood relatives. To answer her sincere inquiry with a snippy remark was uncalled for and inappropriate...
fbi

United States

#4 Feb 1, 2011
What are you? The internet police?

Location hidden

#5 Feb 1, 2011
Hat-head wrote:
We all have heard the jokes about everyone's grands being full-blooded Cherokees, even chiefs, Cherokee princesses, etc., however this was not the place for that comment to have been made.
Miss NotYourHuckleberry, who is adopted, is in the probably fragile --- and possibly intimidating -- position of looking for her blood relatives. To answer her sincere inquiry with a snippy remark was uncalled for and inappropriate...
My husband Jody was adopted in 1976. His birth parents were Linda Thompson and Dee James Morrow. We are told that both the mother and father's side have family that live in Cherokee. His mother and father were both half Cherokee, and the mothers father or grandfather was a former chief, Chief Littlefoot is what his mother told us. Her brothers Lee and Raymond Thompson were both in the area and we are told have pictures of Jody's birth-father. Jody's father Dee was shot and murdered in Virginia when Jody was 6, and was adopted before that happened so he has not seen his looks or anything of his real dad.

We are tying to connect with any family he has left to fill the missing pieces of his life. Dee Ledford we are told was one of his decendants from that area.

Thanks for your message. We are just trying to fill in the blanks.
Hat-head

Whitesburg, TN

#6 Feb 1, 2011
NotYourHuckleberry wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband Jody was adopted in 1976. His birth parents were Linda Thompson and Dee James Morrow. We are told that both the mother and father's side have family that live in Cherokee. His mother and father were both half Cherokee, and the mothers father or grandfather was a former chief, Chief Littlefoot is what his mother told us. Her brothers Lee and Raymond Thompson were both in the area and we are told have pictures of Jody's birth-father. Jody's father Dee was shot and murdered in Virginia when Jody was 6, and was adopted before that happened so he has not seen his looks or anything of his real dad.
We are tying to connect with any family he has left to fill the missing pieces of his life. Dee Ledford we are told was one of his decendants from that area.
Thanks for your message. We are just trying to fill in the blanks.
-----

What have you done so far to try to find some of these relatives? Perhaps the Bureau of Indian Affairs or the tribal office in Cherokee could direct you. Ask the folks at the Cherokee One Feather (newspaper). News people tend to know lots of "stories" about people as well as know of many families in the area. There are quite a few Thompsons in Jackson County (next to Cherokee and county seat is Sylva). I've always heard they are part Indian. You could also look at the website of the Jackson County Genealogical Society. At their office, they have two huge volumes on the people of Jackson County. The entries were submitted by anyone who wanted to, and there is an index of names. Also, have you posted inquiries to any of the genealogy websites, e.g. ancestry.com ? Have you googled the names you have? Do you have Dee's death certificate? There are national adoptee organizations that help locate relatives, but I don't know the names. You could find them online. You could place inquiries in the local newspapers for Bryson City (next to Cherokee) and Sylva as well as Cherokee. Good luck!
caring citizen

Coudersport, PA

#7 Feb 1, 2011
Hat-head, I think you have earned the kindness award for your posts. I agree, FBI 's remarks were uncalled for and inappropriate. You made
great suggestions and I hope and pray NotYourHuckleBer ry finds the relatives. Good luck
Hat-head

United States

#8 Feb 2, 2011
Thank you.

If NotYourHuckleberry does locate any of these relatives, I hope that we will hear about it.
fbi

United States

#9 Feb 3, 2011
go smoke some pot you dirty hippeis
Mucho Dinero

United States

#10 Feb 4, 2011
fbi wrote:
go smoke some pot you dirty hippeis
Go learn how to spell Troll.
Dr Bob

United States

#11 Feb 4, 2011
Mucho Dinero wrote:
<quoted text>Go learn how to spell Troll.
GO BACK TO MEXICO TACO BILL.
Mucho Dinero

Asheville, NC

#12 Feb 4, 2011
Dr Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
GO BACK TO MEXICO TACO BILL.
I will as soon as you give me my free rectal exam that I was promised.
Dr Bob

Cullowhee, NC

#13 Feb 7, 2011
Bend over I'll drive

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#14 Dec 9, 2011
Jody,My name is Tina and we are related I have lots of records about the family (morrow)my father was nicky morrow son of postell and wiley your grandfather was the brother of postell.would love to talk to you,I evan have copies of photos of our gg grandmother and gg grandfather from tn.

Since: Dec 12

Somerset, KY

#15 Dec 1, 2012
Thank you Hat Head, we had to make a new account because we could not access the old one.. We are still actively searching for Thompsons. I found a lot on my fathers side, but still missing things, but my mothers side is still completely missing information all I have are two names of my mothers parents, that is it.. i have input everything i have into ancestry.com but my moms side is still empty.. i have been doing research for a while, i am hoping the info you gave me will give me some new avenues.. Thank you.

Location hidden

#16 Dec 1, 2012
We managed to get our account back up, so am not active again, will try and keep postings updated. If you would like to add us on facebook, send me a personal message

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wildlife within the town limits Jan 9 Fire Engine Red 3
Quinty INN Motel in Cherokee N.C (Jan '16) Jan 6 OuttaTowner 2
News Swain man charged with child sex crimes (Apr '10) Jan 6 Maggie 9
News Swain at last makes foray into animal control (Oct '09) Jan 6 Maggie 18
p.o.s with stds and on drugs. (Mar '14) Jan 6 Maggie 5
I love Bojangles (Sep '16) Jan 6 Maggie 3
Canton Jukebox (Jul '12) Dec 25 Musikologist 19

Cherokee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance