Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
TSF

Wake Forest, NC

#41208 Jul 23, 2013
Yes, there are a few rotten apples in every barrel. The idea that it is difficult to fire incompetent , immoral, addicted, etc teachers is pure BS. Precious few teachers have negotiated contracts. Teachers have to work a minimum of 3 years before tenure is even considered. Without tenure, their employment is at the will of supervisors. Nothing wrong with that unless the supervisors start hiring incompetent relatives and political allies in the place of skilled, experienced and dedicated professionals. Prevention of nepotism is the primary reason tenure was established in the first place. Most teachers are hard working ,dedicated professionals trying to educate with meager resources. There are those who shouldn't be there. They do not last long. I too had a very few horrible teachers, particularly in grade school. I did not transfer my hatred for those few onto all the excellent others.
Dang wrote:
<quoted text>I guess there is no way they are just crappy teachers? Yeah, and Lincoln wanted to ship all blacks to English colonies after the Civil War, check the Kew Museum. My point being, your Lincoln reference was reaching for the topic of teachers.
TSF

Wake Forest, NC

#41209 Jul 23, 2013
And therein lies the solution to the dilemma. If ALL certified teachers refused to work without a negotiated contract, the state could either give them the contract or the teachers could work in other more profitable areas. Most of the teachers I know are competitive individuals and would do actually better outside the rat race of public schools or the dungeons of private schools. Public schools would suffer in quality until the pendulum swings back into a more intelligent direction, if that is even possible for NC . Who knows, it has happened before.
As for Wal-Mart employment, I think you would be surprised to know the number of teachers who ALREADY work there to supplement
their meager income.
waco1909 wrote:
Doesn't matter that the superintendent makes what he does.The contract was agreed to.I've never had tenure at any job I've ever had.If I can live without it, so can they.No one forces someone to teach.Wal.Mart is hiring.

“Vote”

Since: May 12

Houston

#41210 Jul 23, 2013
NC won't allow collective bargaining for teachers.The state will offer teachers a certain amount of money.If a teacher decides that money is not enough, that teacher can search for employment elsewhere.That is their right. in America today more and more people work multiple jobs. more and more, prosperity seems to be out of reach for the common man. Morally militarily and economically America is in a state of decline. this may never be reversed'
Dang

Greer, SC

#41211 Jul 23, 2013
TSF wrote:
How many teachers have negotiated contracts for extended years and dismissal protection like that of the $150,000 + contracts of superintendents ? Teachers sign standard, mostly non negotiated yearly contracts with no dismissal protections . The public's perception of teacher employment conditions being the same as a superintendent's is totally inaccurate.
<quoted text>
Never said they were the same and never thought they were the same. My point was employment should be based on performance. Teachers choose the profession for various reasons. http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/humanreso... I going to read through this little bit of "policy" and get informed on the teacher contracts.
Taxpayer

Hertford, NC

#41212 Jul 23, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
NC won't allow collective bargaining for teachers.The state will offer teachers a certain amount of money.If a teacher decides that money is not enough, that teacher can search for employment elsewhere.That is their right. in America today more and more people work multiple jobs. more and more, prosperity seems to be out of reach for the common man. Morally militarily and economically America is in a state of decline. this may never be reversed'
I worked 3 jobs for over 25 years. One I liked the others I hated. But I wanted my family to do well and I provide for them. I did not ask the government to steal from others that work for their families and give to me. That is not what teacher want and the is not what they teach our kids. They teach and be leave they are entitled.

“Vote”

Houston

#41213 Jul 23, 2013
Wow.Just checked out the teachers pay and perks.Damn, they get great benefits! People should check this out!
TSF

Wake Forest, NC

#41214 Jul 23, 2013
It seems we are in total agreement in that employment should be based on performance. Teacher tenure assures that. Basing employment on your kinship , political party, physical attractiveness, sexual cooperation, gossip or failure to break/bend rules for school board member's children are some of the things tenure prevents.
Dang wrote:
<quoted text>Never said they were the same and never thought they were the same. My point was employment should be based on performance. Teachers choose the profession for various reasons. http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/humanreso... I going to read through this little bit of "policy" and get informed on the teacher contracts.
Amy

United States

#41215 Jul 23, 2013
TSF wrote:
<quoted text>It seems we are in total agreement in that employment should be based on performance. Teacher tenure assures that. Basing employment on your kinship , political party, physical attractiveness, sexual cooperation, gossip or failure to break/bend rules for school board member's children are some of the things tenure prevents.
I totally agree!!!
TSF

Wake Forest, NC

#41216 Jul 24, 2013
Almost everyone agrees that education is the way out of NC's economic slump. Technology has replaced our antiquated production methods and their unskilled labor intensive requirements. The modern economy needs technicians, mathematicians, engineers, technically savvy managers, economist with statistical and analytical knowledge, etc.. Children cannot acquire the basic knowledge prerequisite for the learning of these intellectually complex fields from under educated under paid unqualified baby sitters.
The backward and self destructive republican attack on public education is a serious mistake for which our state, its citizens and children will suffer, economically, intellectually and socially for years to come.
Dang

Greer, SC

#41217 Jul 24, 2013
TSF wrote:
Almost everyone agrees that education is the way out of NC's economic slump. Technology has replaced our antiquated production methods and their unskilled labor intensive requirements. The modern economy needs technicians, mathematicians, engineers, technically savvy managers, economist with statistical and analytical knowledge, etc.. Children cannot acquire the basic knowledge prerequisite for the learning of these intellectually complex fields from under educated under paid unqualified baby sitters.
The backward and self destructive republican attack on public education is a serious mistake for which our state, its citizens and children will suffer, economically, intellectually and socially for years to come.
OK, so now what are Republicans "attacking"?

“Vote”

Houston

#41218 Jul 24, 2013
I don't know how education can rescue NC from its current economic slump.With jobs becoming more and more specialized, one would think that perhaps technical schools would be the way to go.

“Vote”

Houston

#41219 Jul 24, 2013
We may also be overlooking the fact that the students actually have to WANT to learn.There are many things that can deflect the path of a good student these days.
TSF

Wake Forest, NC

#41221 Jul 24, 2013
The republikans have started dismantling public schools with $500 million in cuts. 4000 more teachers will be dismissed, 3800 teacher more teacher assistants will be dismissed, college tuition for 10,000 UNC system students will be raised. Tuition for community colleges will be raised and funds cut, the teaching fellows program is eliminated. Call Gov. McCorey today and tell him you want him to veto this budget. nine one nine -eight one four - two zero zero zero
Dang wrote:
<quoted text>OK, so now what are Republicans "attacking"?
TSF

Wake Forest, NC

#41222 Jul 24, 2013
NC has had one of the nation's most advanced and effective community college systems. Republikans are dismantling that also.
There is nothing else they could do to more effectively damage NC's future. Possibly we should require DNA testing instead of picture ID for voting . I am suspicious that many republican legislators and voters are not of this Earth.
waco1909 wrote:
I don't know how education can rescue NC from its current economic slump.With jobs becoming more and more specialized, one would think that perhaps technical schools would be the way to go.
Dang

Greer, SC

#41223 Jul 24, 2013
Transforming Education

Governor McCrory is following through on his commitment to transform education by empowering North Carolina’s hardworking teachers and expanding opportunities for students to get the necessary skills and knowledge for success. His recommended budget:

Increases investment in early childhood education. The governor's budget allocates an additional $52.4 million over two years to fund services for an additional 5,000 at-risk four year olds, to serve a total of 30,000 four year olds per year through NC Pre-K.
Hires 1,800 more full-time teachers. The McCrory administration prioritizes resources on hiring more full-time certified teachers throughout North Carolina over the next two years rather than classroom assistants to help our students succeed in the classroom.
Dedicates more resources for digital learning. Governor McCrory’s budget follows through on his commitment to expand digital learning initiatives and promote technology in the classroom with $43 million in additional funding over two years. Lottery funds are directed to support the purchase of reading tablets and technology to help address 3rd grade reading achievement and other high priorities.
Establishes the Center for Safer Schools. Following through on his commitment to protect North Carolina's children, the governor's budget provides $625,000 over two years for the Center for Safer Schools to provide training and technical support to educators, law enforcement agencies, and parents.
Continues the implementation of the Excellent Public Schools Act. Governor McCrory’s budget provides $28 million in additional funding to help improve third grade reading proficiency. Funds will be used for summer reading camps and reading plans for parents.
Dang

Greer, SC

#41224 Jul 24, 2013
Makes investments to ensure high school graduates are college and career ready. The governor's budget delivers on his vision of strengthening K-12 education and decreasing the need for remedial courses in higher education.$7.5 million is provided for diagnostics in grades 8-12 to identify students in need of assistance and provide individualized student instructional strategies to help ensure students graduate career and college ready.
Increases funding for high-demand courses in Community Colleges. The governor’s budget provides $32 million in additional funds over two years for resource-intensive community college programs in high demand by employers such as engineering, vocational and technology training.
Increases funding for technical education in Community Colleges. The governor's budget increases funding by $28 million over two years for technical education equipment and infrastructure in North Carolina's Community College system.
Supports university system’s effort to align higher education with changing market needs and current economic conditions. The governor's budget follows through on his commitment to promote enrollment in high-demand fields and align educational needs with the marketplace. It provides $63 million over two years to help fund the University of North Carolina’s Strategic Directions Plan, which will prepare students for workforce demands in various high-growth sectors.
Dang

Greer, SC

#41225 Jul 24, 2013
Dang

Greer, SC

#41226 Jul 24, 2013
This is from the 2012-2013 Budget from the Gov.'s office. What is "attacking" about it? The US education system needs "overhauling" as everyone knows, where do you start?

“Vote”

Houston

#41227 Jul 24, 2013
TSF it does seem as though "Dang"has rendered your posts to be embarrassingly inaccurate.Hiring 1800 more teachers, and full time ones at that! TSF you really should check your posts before you put them up.

“Vote”

Houston

#41228 Jul 24, 2013
Look TSF, just read Dangs' post that is headlined"transforming education". Do you like any of it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paper mill shuts down early (Aug '08) 18 hr Robert Thomas 58
Bobby Brooks off Sutton Branch 55y Child Molester Jul 27 Concerned for all... 1
meth (Feb '11) Jul 13 PatriciaAllyson 2
Beware of Julie - Hairdresser Jul 13 Wilma Jean 11
gclc Jul 12 GFU1031 3
H Clinton Demands USA Take 65,000 Muslim Refugees Jul 7 Preacher Man 1
Christin Willis Jul 6 Joc 4

Cherokee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance