The Powe-Marshall house, located at 143 McIver St., Cheraw, is headed to auction on Jan. 23-24.

Jan 4, 2010 Full story: Richmond County Daily Journal 7

Owning a piece of Civil War-era Americana is one thing but owning a home from which Gen.

Read more
Why bother

Sumter, SC

#1 Feb 13, 2010
why would I want to own a part of something my parent, grandparents, etc were slaves in. Please keep your History correct and honest. But, maybe its fun to think how you use humans in those days and now.It may be History for you but hardship for African American.
An American

Acworth, GA

#2 Feb 15, 2010
You have a point so I guess your not butying this house. I spent six months of my life in Africa. Ever been there? Did not think so. Not a nice place. You should really stop using the term African American. We you trace back for family tree and you discover you are really from a tribe from Africa then I agree call yourself an African American or whatever. You are an American. Period.
An American

Acworth, GA

#3 Feb 15, 2010
You have a point so I guess your not buying this house. I spent six months of my life in Africa. Ever been there? Did not think so. Not a nice place. You should really stop using the term African American. Whene you trace back your family tree and you discover you are really from a tribe from Africa then I agree, call yourself an African American or whatever. You are an American. Period.
terririch

Amelia, OH

#4 Feb 15, 2010
To An AMERICAN, I agree,I get tired of hearing africian american,and these people think we owe them something and the U.S. has let them get by with it,what a joke,I'm a INDIAN, you never hear us claiming raciest everyday
An American

Acworth, GA

#5 Feb 16, 2010
terririch,
Believe it or not, most people agree that hyphenating your name is stupid. Sort of like people who get married and hyphen their name.
I knew a lady once who named her kid "ESPN". Stupid huh?
But.......that is the great thing about this country; you can do what you want, when you want and where you want. Try any of this in just about any country.
Here is another rant....If anyone thinks this country is jacked up...then maybe you should move. Try going to France, England, any country in Africa and demand this, give me money, call me that, don't call me that, Oh you disagree with our Chosen one....you're a racist. What the heck America, get with it. Our military is taking it in the shorts fighting for your rights to complain. So, WhyBother.....go ahead and complain, gripe and wail. It's your right....Next time you see a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine…Thank them for what they do….
Black American

Sumter, SC

#6 Feb 22, 2010
You have the right to buy or not buy.you have the right to express your point of view. I am one of those SODIERS that went to war for this country so one can express himself.
terririch

Amelia, OH

#7 Apr 2, 2010
Thank You Soliders!!!! And Thanks to your families for all they went thru also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cheraw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Principal placed on administrative leave (Jul '06) Mar 21 But plug 16
Looking for Carol Potter (Oct '09) Mar 14 Allison Smith 2
Boro Feb '15 R Cornell 1
Hartsville Music Forum (Nov '12) Feb '15 Musikologist 12
Good jobs in Hartsville? Jan '15 Planning ahead 1
News Brother & Sister Have 4 Kids:Want Incest Legalized (Mar '08) Jan '15 Alice 220
christmaslights in hartsville,SC Dec '14 zapper-01 1
Cheraw Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Cheraw People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]