Judge Reduces Drunk Driver's Prison S...

Judge Reduces Drunk Driver's Prison Sentence

There are 178 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Oct 20, 2009, titled Judge Reduces Drunk Driver's Prison Sentence. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

A Tulsa family is devastated after a judge reduced a prison sentence for a drunk driver who killed their relative, then ran from the wreckage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Juror

Tulsa, OK

#172 Oct 24, 2009
truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder so many people get off in jury trials with people like you on them. However, since you are so proud of being a juror let's look at it. He was drinking and driving and left the scene. The attorney said he was in shock and that is why he ran away. Funny, everytime a person who has been drinking, has a wreck and runs from the scene they lawyer says they were in shock. Does booze make you go into shock during a wreck, the vast majority of people who have wrecks in this country don't run from the scene in shock. I guess being in shock is very convienent when you don't want to have your blood alchol level tested though. Lawyers are paid liars. That is what they do. They are trained to twist facts to get people to ignore truths and see things their way. Drinking and driving is against the law. If you do it and don't get caught there are no penalties. If you do it and get caught you should pay the price. If you do it and kill someone, your fault, their fault no ones fault you pay the price. You chose to drive drunk. If you break the law by robbing a store and someone gets shot and killed you get charged with murder even if you did not mean to kill anyone because you knew there was a possiblity it could happen when you took in the gun. When you break the law by driving drunk you know there is a possibilty you could be in a wreck and someone could die. MURDER! Lawyers are great at making jurors forget what the case is really about. Take the cob out of your but and pat your self on the back for having done your duty. I'm sure you think you are the only person on this thread that has ever been on one.
He did not receive a unanimous vote of guilt from the jurors. I was not the only one that favored rehab and probation. This guy was 27 years old, educated, SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRINKING AND DRIVING,a man made a left turn on red in front of him and an accident happened. There was no intent. Now he will come out not rehabilated, middle aged, no place to work. But, he had learned the ways of the true criminals, how to make meth etc. This is playing with fire. Our system creats criminals. Vengence will make you a very bitter and unhappy person. Let go, don't forget, but forgive. He will remember this terrible accident the rest of his life.
truth be known

Tulsa, OK

#173 Oct 24, 2009
Juror wrote:
<quoted text> He did not receive a unanimous vote of guilt from the jurors. I was not the only one that favored rehab and probation. This guy was 27 years old, educated, SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRINKING AND DRIVING,a man made a left turn on red in front of him and an accident happened. There was no intent. Now he will come out not rehabilated, middle aged, no place to work. But, he had learned the ways of the true criminals, how to make meth etc. This is playing with fire. Our system creats criminals. Vengence will make you a very bitter and unhappy person. Let go, don't forget, but forgive. He will remember this terrible accident the rest of his life.
If it was only about rehabilitating people I might agree with you, however, it is also about punishment and setting the example. If everyone else knows if you get caught DUI the penalty is horrible you will have less people risking it. I personally don't believe the death penalty is a deterrent because people are not thinking about it when they kill but knowing years in prison are waiting on you will make you think twice about DUI. If you are so drunk that you don't think about it maybe the people around you will realize the penalty is to stiff to let a friend risk it. Telling people to stop others from driving drunk because they might kill someone is to abstract and no one thinks it will happen in their world. If they know even a traffic stop will send you to prison they are more likely to stop a friend from DUI. So in my opinion when someone does die in a wreck involving a drunk driver the drunk must be made an example of since it is the worse case scenario that can happen while DUI. It is also justice for the people that lost the loved one. Those who leave the scene of accident to avoid DUI charges, while hard to prove, should get an even stiffer penalty.

“Taste the Rainbow”

Since: Jul 08

Houston, TX

#174 Oct 26, 2009
If he didn't cause the accident, then he shouldn't be sitting in jail for manslaughter or whatever. Yes he was drunk, he should get something for that and for leaving the scene, but not for killing anyone. Rehab would have done this man more good than sitting in prison for something that he shouldn't be in there for.
The Real McCoy

Tulsa, OK

#175 Oct 26, 2009
He is an accident that was waiting to happen!
He must put in time for his actions and not let his Mama keep fighting his battles! He's a man?
YTELLU

Claremore, OK

#176 Oct 26, 2009
JustaRandomGirl wrote:
If he didn't cause the accident, then he shouldn't be sitting in jail for manslaughter or whatever. Yes he was drunk, he should get something for that and for leaving the scene, but not for killing anyone. Rehab would have done this man more good than sitting in prison for something that he shouldn't be in there for.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. The man killed someone, it was his fault or he wouldn't have been on trial in the first place. You're believing the postings of ONE person who just continually changes his/her name over and over in this forum and just keeps trying to maintain this guy's innocence. I'll bet dollars to donuts this same person is a family member or a wife, or a lover of the man sitting in jail right now. He was convicted by a jury of his peers, if he wasn't the cause of the death, he wouldn't be in jail right now. Obviously there was ENOUGH evidence to prove he caused the death, therefore, he pays for the crime he has committed. Rehab would be beneficial to him, yes, I agree there, but he needs to have received that treatment while serving his time.

The ONLY REASON this man received a reduced sentence had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with who/what happened in the accident. It was because of his "glowing" reviews from the DOC. The judge took into consideration the words of the people he is interacting with, and felt the sentence was harsh. Nothing to do with the crime in it's self. Everyone seems to be overlooking that part of the report. It had absolutely nothing to do with the facts of the case.
YTELLU

Claremore, OK

#177 Oct 26, 2009
Juror wrote:
<quoted text> He did not receive a unanimous vote of guilt from the jurors. I was not the only one that favored rehab and probation. This guy was 27 years old, educated, SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRINKING AND DRIVING,a man made a left turn on red in front of him and an accident happened. There was no intent. Now he will come out not rehabilated, middle aged, no place to work. But, he had learned the ways of the true criminals, how to make meth etc. This is playing with fire. Our system creats criminals. Vengence will make you a very bitter and unhappy person. Let go, don't forget, but forgive. He will remember this terrible accident the rest of his life.
I don't believe for a MINUTE you were a juror. You are the same person posing as THE FACTS, and other names on this forum. You said it all when you stated "SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRINKING AND DRIVING". NO, he shouldn't have been, he killed a man because of his actions and his choice to drink and drive. Period!! I guess if he didn't want to spend the time in jail for killing someone he should have never put the keys in the ignition of his vehicle and take off into the streets as a killing machine. Driving while intoxicated IS INTENT to KILL! He intended to get drunk, he intended to drive a vehicle while drunk, thereby he had intention of possibly killing. We all know drinking and driving kills! You say he's "educated". Then he knew he could possibly kill someone when he drove in the condition he was in. Face THE FACTS! He DID have intent! He DID drive drunk. He DOES deserve as much time as the law allows. The family of the dead man will never have their family member with them. Job or no job, rehab or no rehab, why? Because he was killed by a DRUNK DRIVER!
YTELLU

Claremore, OK

#178 Oct 26, 2009
Juror wrote:
If what you're saying is true,(and I highly doubt the validity of your comments because you change your names so many times in this forum and continually try to pretend you are different people), there would be a "hung" jury or a mis trial. So, obviously there was an "agreement" reached by the jury. If you didn't agree with the verdict, there wouldn't have been a verdict. Again, I'll repeat, there would have been a hung jury or a mistrial. We're not all as stupid as you sound.

“Taste the Rainbow”

Since: Jul 08

Houston, TX

#179 Oct 27, 2009
YTELLU wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. The man killed someone, it was his fault or he wouldn't have been on trial in the first place. You're believing the postings of ONE person who just continually changes his/her name over and over in this forum and just keeps trying to maintain this guy's innocence. I'll bet dollars to donuts this same person is a family member or a wife, or a lover of the man sitting in jail right now. He was convicted by a jury of his peers, if he wasn't the cause of the death, he wouldn't be in jail right now. Obviously there was ENOUGH evidence to prove he caused the death, therefore, he pays for the crime he has committed. Rehab would be beneficial to him, yes, I agree there, but he needs to have received that treatment while serving his time.
The ONLY REASON this man received a reduced sentence had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with who/what happened in the accident. It was because of his "glowing" reviews from the DOC. The judge took into consideration the words of the people he is interacting with, and felt the sentence was harsh. Nothing to do with the crime in it's self. Everyone seems to be overlooking that part of the report. It had absolutely nothing to do with the facts of the case.
I see what you are saying. It's not that I believe that person, but I think if what that person says IS true, then the man shouldn't be in prison...

I sure wish they had more rehabilitation in prisons.
Mother of three

Pass Christian, MS

#180 Oct 28, 2009
Disgustedbyignorance wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to Kimberly Graham who was sentenced to 107 yrs for killing while drinking and driving! Think they'll knock her sentence down?? This guy out in 12 yrs?? RIDICULOUS!
Very well put. I dont think I could have said it any better myself. If you ask me he should have gotten more time than what he did. The law states that drunkeness is no excuse and that you still have to be punished. A lot of our pansy *** judges need to grow a freakin back bone.......
Serious

Tulsa, OK

#181 Nov 6, 2009
The Real McCoy wrote:
McGrew doesn't drink-Period. He is an independent cab driver, thus being at two places that night. Remember he is a victim that almost died.
He's the one that turned left in front of the other vehicle. Maybe he was doing drugs, Brown had previous drug charges. We will never know, he wasn't tested. However; if he had not made that left turn Brown would be alive today. McGrew testified that he made his turn on a red light. Get out of the box and think straight.
The Real McCoy

Tulsa, OK

#182 Nov 6, 2009
Serious - Did you hear the evidence a year earlier--- if so you should of commented then, not now!
Where has it ever been mentioned about previous drug charges? The jury made their decision and some people will never be happy with this sad outcome of our court system. Quit whining and move on!
Serious

Tulsa, OK

#183 Nov 6, 2009
TZC wrote:
The judge, Hon. Clancy Smith, sentenced him to 14 + 9 for first degree manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident with injury. An arm of the DOC, Tulsa County Community Corrections, filed a report for a judicial review hearing of the incarceration of the scumbag, GB'head. The author of the report, Nellie Williams, gave a glowing report of the scumbag. She recommended that the sentences, 14 + 9, should run concurrently, and all but the first 12 years be suspended. The judge agreed. It is not right. He killed someone. He learned how to manipulate the system through his attorney, that was paid for by momma.
You can't blame him for having a rich momma. If it was Cathy Joe, your child, would you not help? Brown spent time in prison for ALCHOL AND DRUGS. You are incorrect on the sentencing. Are you enjoying the "blood money" or did you donate it to MADD? You call people names, your just stupid. Get off your pitty party.
Serious

Tulsa, OK

#184 Nov 6, 2009
The Real McCoy wrote:
Serious - Did you hear the evidence a year earlier--- if so you should of commented then, not now!
Where has it ever been mentioned about previous drug charges? The jury made their decision and some people will never be happy with this sad outcome of our court system. Quit whining and move on!
Go to oklahoma offender search and use doc#263099 and that is just the tip of the iceberg on Richard Lee Brown.
FYI

Tulsa, OK

#185 Nov 6, 2009
truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention all the booze that would not get bought if DUI's were really enforced.
Richard Lee Brown; his momma Edna paid for all of his ALCHOL and DRUG CHARGES.Was Richard not a man? Momma paid for him. The family was happy when he got out of prison early.
The Real McCoy

Tulsa, OK

#186 Nov 6, 2009
The past is the past-We are talking about teh court situation involving the actions and date of the evening of March 8, 2008 and the drunk ran from the scene and the other one died with a seat belt on, getting a ride, not operating a weapon as BH did!He's out in 11 years!
FACT

Tulsa, OK

#187 Nov 8, 2009
The Real McCoy wrote:
The past is the past-We are talking about teh court situation involving the actions and date of the evening of March 8, 2008 and the drunk ran from the scene and the other one died with a seat belt on, getting a ride, not operating a weapon as BH did!He's out in 11 years!
The fact is if McGrew had not failed to yield on a left turn,(bh was 3/4 of the way through the intersection on impact and hit the fron half of the Dodge) Brown would be here today. TPD did not test him for drugs or alchol,TPD broke their policy by not doing this.Think about it. Do your math. BH was traveling 38mph at impact, how many feet a minute is that? The black box indicated by the reading that he did not have time to break. His foot was off the excelerator, he tried. Absoultly nothing or no one that could have saved Brown. BH got out of his vehicle, walked to the car, put his hands on his head, turned and WALKED away, all witnesses testified to that also. Get your facts correct, he walked, the accident was on March 8, 2007, everytime you get behind the wheel you operating a weapon if that's the way you want to look at it. You are not a good person. Remember karma. I'm out of here.
The Answer

Tulsa, OK

#188 Nov 9, 2009
Approximately 63 feet per second.
JARED

Tulsa, OK

#189 Nov 15, 2013
I WOULD LIKE TO OPEN THIS STATEMENT BY SAYING FIRST, THE DECISION TO DRUNK AND DRIVE IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND DANGEROUS, PUTTING LIFES IN DANGER AND RUINING FAMILIES FOR A LIFE TIME. THE DECISION GREG MADE THAT NIGHT WILL FOLLOW HIM FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE, AS WELL AS THE FAMeILY OF THE VICTIM. BUT I ASK ANYONE ON THIS POST HAVE YOU EVER GONE OUT AND DRANK, THEN DROVE HOME OR RODE HOME WITH SOMEONE WHO WAS DRINKING AND DRIVING?OR ALLOWED ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS OR FAMILY MEMBERS TO GET IN THEIR CARS AND DRINK AND DRIVE? IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO ANY OR ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO PASS JUDGEMENT ON A MAN THAT MADE A VERY POOR DECISION COSTING SOMEONE THEIR LIFE. WHILE YOU ARE PASSING YOUR JUDEGEMENT THIS VERY WELL COULD HAVE BEEN YOU OR SOMEONE YOU LOVE;"UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN HIS SHOES." TO THE FAMILY OF THE VICTIM I AM VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSE. HOPE THAT ONE DAY GOD BRINGS YOU PEACE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chelsea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
theda muller (Nov '15) Jul '17 Dr Kildeer 16
News Oklahoma receives Real ID extension Jul '17 michael 1
mcgee investments Jun '17 gene henderson 1
News DA Approves Felony Charge In Oologah Police Imp... (Jul '10) Apr '17 OMG 82
News Chelsea seeking to fill job of chief (Oct '08) Jan '17 Friendne 42
News Chelsea Police Chief Arrested On Drug Complaints (Aug '10) Oct '16 Alvin Boss 307
Debate: Gay Marriage - Chelsea, OK (Aug '10) Jul '15 e. w. 4

Chelsea Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chelsea Mortgages