3 Arrested In South Boston Stabbing D...

3 Arrested In South Boston Stabbing Death

There are 35 comments on the CBS 5 story from Aug 11, 2008, titled 3 Arrested In South Boston Stabbing Death. In it, CBS 5 reports that:

Three men have been arrested in connection with the June stabbing death of a 27-year-old man in South Boston.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS 5.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
former resident

Cambridge, MA

#1 Aug 12, 2008
South Boston is a dump

the people there are the worst trash of Boston
dmc

United States

#3 Dec 3, 2008
The crime was committed in South Boston by men who were from JP. Crime happens all over the city "former resident", don't slander an entire community because 3 thugs came from another part of the city and stabbed someone, it's just plain ignorant.
jeannie

Ophelia, VA

#4 Dec 11, 2008
"former resident"... Were you originally from Southie, or did you grow up in Belmont and move there for a few months? Obviously you are not a "real" South Boston Resident. Because those of us that were fortunate to grow up there when it was a tight community know that back then it was a nice neighborhood. It has indeed changed. I agree. But it has changed...Most of the times you hear about crime that is committed there, it's usually by someone that is NOT from Southie, but rather someone from another Boston neighborhood that is "residing" in the projects. Funny enough I complained about the ongoings in the project and was told that "waves could not be made"... and I quote: "It will just cause racial tensions" ... So believe me when I tell you first hand... It was NOT always like this. If you blow up the projects, it's a pretty nice neighborhood.
Dave Orlando Florida

United States

#5 Dec 23, 2008
I had a great time growing up in Southie in the 50's. I was born on 5th street between K and L, our block was filled with kids, we had a great time at the Boys Club, the Boys "L", Castle Island, Kellys Landing, Frog Pond, and Franklin Park Zoo. It was a tough neighborhood, lots of fights between us Italians and the Irish kids, but we never heard of kids killing each other even though there were Polish, German, Irish, Italian, Greek and a whole lot of other nationalities mixed in. My friends growing up were all from different cultures. I recently went back for a visit and couldnt believe it when I was told the house I was born in sold for over $300,000.00. My father paid about $2500.00 in the 40's. Southie was a good place to live at one time. As the saying goes "all good things must end sooner or later"
Maureen Downs

Boston, MA

#6 Jan 26, 2009
I am a life-long resident, and let me tell you, the bashing and trashing we have been taking in the Boston Globe on behalf of SOME of our new residents is infuriating, to say the least. Coming from wonderful, Greatest Generation parents, and choosing to stay with my husband and raise our children in SB (YES, we can move if we want, we bought our house in the 80's, it's worth about 5x what we paid for it), reading what people who don't know us are willing to say about is disgusting.
I try not to let it make me judge all of my new neighbors - we had a great couple across the street who were transferred to Chicago, who my teenaged daughter baby-sat for. They hated to leave and we hated to see them go. Why all the nasty, horrible things said? I don't get it.
South Boston

Boston, MA

#7 Jan 30, 2009
I too am from South Boston "Southie" and I am of a later generation and when I was growing up times were different there was no crime, nothing like today. Southie was a great place to live, everyone knew each other, there were kids playing everywhere, the streets were safe. The "Projects" were not always like they are now; it used to be an Irish Community safe just like the rest of South Boston. Then they let in all the outsiders, crime was of the normal, drugs became dominant over all the kids it all changed, and we as South Boston Lifelong Residents were left with nothing to do, most of us moved, some stayed, its sad, I wish everyone could have stuck together and fought to get all the Crime and Drugs out, it was a never ending battle. It is sad that Our Community is now a disgrace, I would love to move back with my husband and daughter my husband too grew up in South Boston, but fear has made me choose other. So stop bashing South Boston, it is truly a "Beautiful Community" its just that outsiders intruded and ruined a once tight nit community. Will Southie ever be like it used to be? My guess is no, but I feel bad for all the people who chose to stay and not be driven out by the outsiders, and do not get me wrong, we welcomed outsiders, but please do not bring the crime and drugs. My parents also were life long South Boston Residents, as were my fathers parents and so on. I Love South Boston, just OI do not Love what it has become. Even the Schools have changed, South Boston High used to be a great High School, now it is made up into three schools, my parents both went there, and a majority of my friends as well, and I look at the Year Books of my parents and it was an amazing school, now I am at a loss fro words as to what it has become. Never mind all the Catholic Schools Closing; it truly saddens me to see a once Wonderful Community turn in to a Ghetto Community: Is it to late to try and fix South Boston? I say everyone who once lived there and who live there now pull together and drive all the nonsense out. I will always Love South Boston. And hopefully one day it can be what it used to be, people used to Love to live there.
South Boston

Boston, MA

#8 Jan 30, 2009
former resident wrote:
South Boston is a dump
the people there are the worst trash of Boston
No it is not a dump; it is the dumpy people that moved in that are trash, so please rephrase that.
Nick D 765

Cambridge, MA

#9 Feb 4, 2009
Just because "everybody knew everybody" in South Boston, doesn't make it a great place to live. There are plenty of places where "everyone knows everyone" that are far better than South Boston. All you residents, or former residents of Southie are so used to defending your neighborhood and sugar-coating it, that you don't see the forest for the trees. In fact, South Boston was one of the most insular, arrogant, racist, corrupt, crime-ridden, drug-laden, thug-producing neighborhoods in all of Boston and New England. I know adults who grew up in South Boston and the stories they tell me of how it was growing up there in the 60's and 70's are unbelievbably shocking. Gangs, mobsters, drug deals, stabbings, beatings, rapes, murders, etc., etc. It was all kept quiet by the locals because that was "the code." Shameful and disgusting. South Boston residents were the loudest and most violent opponents to school and public housing integration when that came about in the 70's and 80's. Black families on the public housing waitlist had to wait for an open apartment in another neighborhood (sometimes for years), even when there was an opening in a public housing facility in South Boston, because the local Southies were so hostile toward blacks. Fortunately a federal order changed that eventually. Read Michael Patrick MacDonald's book, "All Souls: A Family Story from Southie." This will tell you the REAL story of South Boston. After the publishing of his book, MacDonald received death threats from local South Boston residents for revealing the truth about South Boston. More of the "code of silence." More despicable behavior. Whitey Bulger was from South Boston. Need I say more? It's slowly changing now, for the BETTER, but I would not have wanted to live or grown up in Southie for all the money in the world. For all those Southie folks who say "you don't understand," Oh yes we do, perhaps more than you do. You can have it.
Nick D 765

Cambridge, MA

#10 Feb 13, 2009
You can't blame all of South Boston's troubles on the "outsiders" who moved in there "later." That is a cop out. Southie was bad even in the 60's and 70's. See my comment entry on the post for more of my opinion.
ron

Warwick, RI

#11 Feb 13, 2009
south boston is the nicest and best part of boston ive ever seen if i could live in boston i would live in south boston if any tourist came to boston i would reccomend south boston a vacation spot the best and nicest
Nick D 765

Cambridge, MA

#12 Feb 24, 2009
ron wrote:
south boston is the nicest and best part of boston ive ever seen if i could live in boston i would live in south boston if any tourist came to boston i would reccomend south boston a vacation spot the best and nicest
Are you blind, or just plain silly??
ron

Warwick, RI

#13 Feb 24, 2009
im not blind south boston rules i go to south providence a lot i know south boston is nicer you could make a good life for your self it is so nice
Nick D 765

Cambridge, MA

#14 Mar 9, 2009
ron wrote:
im not blind south boston rules i go to south providence a lot i know south boston is nicer you could make a good life for your self it is so nice
You obviously haven't been around very much, if all you have to compare South Boston to is South Providence. I have lived all over the world. South Boston is not any place I'd want to live. Period.
Alice

Brookline, MA

#15 Mar 19, 2009
South Boston wrote:
<quoted text>
No it is not a dump; it is the dumpy people that moved in that are trash, so please rephrase that.
It's funny, but you can always tell a person from South Boston who has only a high school diploma, if any at all. Is it the public school system or are they just products of their environment?
ron

Warwick, RI

#16 Mar 30, 2009
south boston is one of my favorite spots in boston
Joseph Leader

Brockton, MA

#17 Apr 1, 2009
I Lived Is Southie All My Life Up Till 2006 When I Became Ill I Then Moved To Whitman Where My Sister Now Cares For Me. I Was The Dj At The Martin F. Mcdonough Post For Over 20 Years. Went To School During The Busing. Dropped Out Of The 8th Grade. I Now Take The Commuter Rail Into South Station On Warm Days And Spend The Day With Friends
SouthBostonYuppi e

Brockton, MA

#18 Apr 18, 2009
I've been in Southie for 3 years now and us yuppies love it! We love relaxing on Castle Island, we love the yuppie hangouts (Playwright, Beer Garden and the new Franklin cafe), we love how we can get to South End in 5 mins to enjoy find dining, 10 mins to Back Bay.

And every spring bring more and more yuppies to Southie!
Brendan

Boston, MA

#19 Apr 27, 2009
south boston sucks! cronie retards who have never been out of massachusetts live there. congrats on all your success.
ron

Warwick, RI

#20 Apr 27, 2009
south boston is my kind of environment
Shamrockamps

AOL

#21 Jun 21, 2009
I have great memories of Southie. I spent every summer for almost 20 years at my cousins in Old Colony projects. I never met more people with that type of pride and talk about tough holy shit those kids from Southie were beyond tough. I feel like it's part of me. I have tons of stories of "Whitey" and all the other guys that should have stuck by the people of Southie. Everyone blames Kevin Weeks for being a Rat but Whitey was the Rat all along. And as for being racist just remember how old ladies were not robbed and houses were safe. Both my parents were from Southie and even thoe my farther passed,my mother still talks about her days in Southie.Carson Beach,Kelly's Landing and Southie's Day was all great times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chelsea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mayor going to Italy on our dime 35 min Rug Doctor 17
Murderers in Malden 4 hr dub dub 4
News The Boston Olympics are dead; the year 2024 is ... 5 hr passer 2
George Washington University Ditches Standards ... 10 hr Culture Auditor 1
State Police will pocket millions from the Call... (Jan '14) 11 hr What a wonderful ... 116
News Medford officer on leave after video shows him ... Tue Resident 1
The beginning of the end Mon Highest bidder 52
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chelsea Mortgages