Man struck and killed by police cruiser in Chelsea

Full story: Lowell Sun 31
A Chelsea man has been struck and killed by a police cruiser. Police said in a statement that the officer was responding to a call on Broadway at about 11:15 on Thursday night when the cruiser hit the 56-year-old pedestrian. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
duke

Clarksville, MD

#22 Aug 24, 2010
Ironic ...cop kills person sworn to protect...yet in many opinions expressed here the innocent pedestrian was at fault . The cop screwed up big time !!! Let him go to court and defend himself like the rest of us would have to do , a cop is supposed to defend the law ...NOT BE ABOVE THE LAW !!!!!!!!!!
Arte

Dracut, MA

#23 Aug 24, 2010
duke wrote:
Ironic ...cop kills person sworn to protect...yet in many opinions expressed here the innocent pedestrian was at fault . The cop screwed up big time !!! Let him go to court and defend himself like the rest of us would have to do , a cop is supposed to defend the law ...NOT BE ABOVE THE LAW !!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, they will go to court and he will be paid while off duty and we will pay for the lawyer to represent him too and then we will pay when they settle with the family.
The West Newton Kid

Marlborough, MA

#24 Aug 25, 2010
duke wrote:
You bring up a great point; I noticed the same thing: The cops and their faithful supporters are jumping in and saying that it must be the pedestrians fault!

Unreal; this bunch just cannot take responsibility for ANYTHING; if they can get away with it!

A few times a year here in Mass; some cop dies while on duty. Chances are it was his own careless driving that leads to his demise; and once in a while a cop gets mowed down by an inattentive motorist. Whenever one of these things happens; the cops and their faithful supporters are all over the story; ranting and raving about the tragedy of it all and also the grave dangers of the job.

But, when a hapless pedestrian gets his life taken away by a speeding cop; the cops and their faithful supporters QUICKLY dismiss the whole thing as an honest mistake. And, in this case these same boobs start posting that the pedestrian must have been at fault.

Anyone old enough to notice such things can probably remember countless examples of cops driving like blithering idiots; either with their lights on; or off. Jeeze; you can hardly drive down one of our highways without seeing a Mass State cop driving within 12 inches of some unlucky motorists back bumper; as they force car after car out of their way; in their quest to drive at 100 mph for no good reason.

It is high time to reel these boobs in; and hold any of them responsible for reckless homicide; if the shoe fits.
Chelsea City Manager

Danvers, MA

#25 Aug 29, 2010
Wow, got to love all the speculation about an unfortunate incident. Now, here are some facts. Responding to a mutual aid call in another city (which is a good thing to do)- lights and siren activated (as is policy)- looks like he was driving within a reasonable speed. Don't understand how people can be so negative about police officers who risk their lives all the time to save ours. Are there some bad apples, I suppose. But, by and large, there are so many decent men and women trying to make our lives safer.
tHE wEST nEWTON pUNK

Lowell, MA

#26 Aug 30, 2010
Like clockwork The West Newton Clown has something negative to say w/o the benefit of facts to support his opinion. Coward Arse clown.
Darn Tootin from W Newton

Marlborough, MA

#27 Aug 31, 2010
Chelsea City Manager wrote:
Wow, got to love all the speculation about an unfortunate incident. Now, here are some facts. Responding to a mutual aid call in another city (which is a good thing to do)- lights and siren activated (as is policy)- looks like he was driving within a reasonable speed. Don't understand how people can be so negative about police officers who risk their lives all the time to save ours. Are there some bad apples, I suppose. But, by and large, there are so many decent men and women trying to make our lives safer.
Folks, I must jump in here. Anytime someone posts the ol' "all cops are risking their lives for us everyday" bunch of hogwash, I have to straighten them out.

Here is the accurate version of the same statement: "on occasion, some officers may find themselves in a potentially life threatening situation". Why is this the accurate version? Because we all know that in every town and every city here in the US; MORE COPS ARE WORKING AT JOBS SAFELY WITHIN THE 4 WALLS OF THE STATION HOUSE THEN HAVE JOBS OUT ON THE STREETS. This is a fact, folks. So, unless a cop slips and falls on some jelly that falls out of a donut during the weekly "all you can eat donut feast" at the Station; striking his head on the floor and killing himself; or unless he tilts too far back in his chair while catching up on the weekends sporting events with his policemen pals; striking his head on a the corner of a filing cabinet and killing himself; or unless he chokes to death on a pickle while eating his daily Big Mac as his desk in the Station; I am at a complete loss as to how in hell he is risking his live for us; every single day.

Besides, statistical data proves that being a cop is the 11th most life threatening job in the US. There are 10 jobs that result in loss of life more often then the job of a cop, including Truck Drivers; Farm Workers; Electrians; Structural Steel Workers; Fishermen; Cab Drivers; Construction Laborers; Roofers and a few others. So, clearly THESE are the people who are actually risking their lives for us each day.

And, how can we possibly forget the FACT that Cab Drivers come in at number one in our nation for dying on the job as a result of homicide; NOT COPS. Again Folks, this is a documented fact. Most cops die in accidents; most often as a result of driving like fools......
Hash Browns

Lowell, MA

#28 Aug 31, 2010
Hey West Newton Clown stop changing your name you coward.
Darn Tootin from W Newton wrote:
<quoted text>
Folks, I must jump in here. Anytime someone posts the ol' "all cops are risking their lives for us everyday" bunch of hogwash, I have to straighten them out.
Here is the accurate version of the same statement: "on occasion, some officers may find themselves in a potentially life threatening situation". Why is this the accurate version? Because we all know that in every town and every city here in the US; MORE COPS ARE WORKING AT JOBS SAFELY WITHIN THE 4 WALLS OF THE STATION HOUSE THEN HAVE JOBS OUT ON THE STREETS. This is a fact, folks. So, unless a cop slips and falls on some jelly that falls out of a donut during the weekly "all you can eat donut feast" at the Station; striking his head on the floor and killing himself; or unless he tilts too far back in his chair while catching up on the weekends sporting events with his policemen pals; striking his head on a the corner of a filing cabinet and killing himself; or unless he chokes to death on a pickle while eating his daily Big Mac as his desk in the Station; I am at a complete loss as to how in hell he is risking his live for us; every single day.
Besides, statistical data proves that being a cop is the 11th most life threatening job in the US. There are 10 jobs that result in loss of life more often then the job of a cop, including Truck Drivers; Farm Workers; Electrians; Structural Steel Workers; Fishermen; Cab Drivers; Construction Laborers; Roofers and a few others. So, clearly THESE are the people who are actually risking their lives for us each day.
And, how can we possibly forget the FACT that Cab Drivers come in at number one in our nation for dying on the job as a result of homicide; NOT COPS. Again Folks, this is a documented fact. Most cops die in accidents; most often as a result of driving like fools......
Chelsea City Manager

Danvers, MA

#29 Aug 31, 2010
Forgive me for not fully explaining out my thought. I will do so a bit more to accomodate Newton. For the 80% of our police who are out on the beat every day, in an urban environment, where there are guns, gangs, bank robbers, fast driving cars and other hazards, they are putting their well-beings on the line regularly. Having clarified that, it's great when some can be so cavalier about the sacrifices that others make. Please don't diminish the significant contributions to our better society they make with stereotypes and inaccuracies that don't reflect the danger they face. And, thanks to those in the other fields you mention. There are many dangerous jobs out there. It is a shame when anyone is hurt or killed.
Darn Tootin from W Newton

Marlborough, MA

#30 Sep 1, 2010
Chelsea City Manager wrote:
Forgive me for not fully explaining out my thought. I will do so a bit more to accomodate Newton. For the 80% of our police who are out on the beat every day, in an urban environment, where there are guns, gangs, bank robbers, fast driving cars and other hazards, they are putting their well-beings on the line regularly. Having clarified that, it's great when some can be so cavalier about the sacrifices that others make. Please don't diminish the significant contributions to our better society they make with stereotypes and inaccuracies that don't reflect the danger they face. And, thanks to those in the other fields you mention. There are many dangerous jobs out there. It is a shame when anyone is hurt or killed.
I enjoyed reading your post. It is well written and it is rational. But, I have to ask you: Where did you come up with your figure of 80% of the cops are out on the streets; risking their bacon?

Is this just your hunch? I don't buy it for a moment. If, as you are claiming; you ARE a Chelsea City Manager; please share with me and the other Readers the following info:

1) Where did you get your number of 80% for officers out on the streets.

2)How many cops in total are currently on the headcount in Chelsea.

3) How many Chelsea cops are currently out for a "job related injury".

4) How many cops are working the streets of Cheslea.

5) How many Chelsea cops are Desk Jockies; who are basically working safely within the 4 walls of the Station House, day by day.

I look forward to your response. You and I could easily share plenty of friendly banter on this subject.

As I pointed out Readers; statistical data collected by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that the job of being a cop comes in at number 11 in the US; for jobs resulting in loss of life. And, this same data shows that most cops die as a result of accidents; and not as a result of homicide.

For Readers who are curious; the job of Firemen comes in at number 15 on this same list.
West Newton DB

Malden, MA

#31 Sep 1, 2010
Where have you been buddy? We miss your stuff, so insightful. What was it you did for work again? Was that you saving those kids from the burning building? Keep it up buddy we love it. What's an IP address?
The West Newton Kid

Marlborough, MA

#32 Sep 2, 2010
West Newton DB wrote:
Where have you been buddy? We miss your stuff, so insightful. What was it you did for work again? Was that you saving those kids from the burning building? Keep it up buddy we love it. What's an IP address?
Thanks for the heartfelt "welcome back". It was very sporting of you. And, it is great to hear from you, as well.

If I remember things right; you are the boob who thinks that all cops are selfless heroes; who are risking their bacon for us all, day after day.

Hey, have you been following the story out of New Orleans? Apparently; immediately after Hurricane Katrina; a cop lost his cool and he fired upon a group of unarmed citizens. He managed to kill a few innocent men; and he blew the arm off of an innocent woman. So, he quickly went into "cover your A$$ mode". He planted a phony gun at the scene of his murders; and he held a few group huddles with his policemen pals to cobble up his phony version of the events; knowing that he would easily get the support from a group of his fellow officers. But, somewhere along the line; the ugly details of this big poopie pie started to spill out. And, the cops involved began acting like so many cops do under the same circumstances. They started to rat out their fellow officers, in order to keep their bacon out of the fire. It's a real mess, alright. It looks like a cop or two could easily face jail time; for murder and for scrambling to lie and cover the whole mess up.

I'll see if I can stop by and visit you over on your Forum. I really have missed our friendly banter and good times.

The Kid

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chelsea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr Brian Awbrey (Oct '10) 9 min A and H 531
Holiday Tips 5 hr Maldencanrot 3
Navarra as DPW Chief?? 5 hr Rug Doctor 10
Wynn election night party at EHS 5 hr Rug Doctor 4
Mr. and Mrs. Carlo DeMaria Seeking Special Permit 15 hr concerned citizen 15
Priest says all are welcome in his church (Jun '11) 16 hr Fa-Foxy 3
Mass Concepts are changing fast! (Nov '13) 19 hr joe 2

Chelsea News Video

Chelsea Dating
Find my Match