Man struck and killed by police cruiser in Chelsea

Full story: Lowell Sun 31
A Chelsea man has been struck and killed by a police cruiser. Police said in a statement that the officer was responding to a call on Broadway at about 11:15 on Thursday night when the cruiser hit the 56-year-old pedestrian. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Arte

Cambridge, MA

#1 Aug 20, 2010
You know dam well this cop will get nothing, you or I, that is another story. I can only imagine he was speeding to a call, like a cat in a tree os something and then killed someone. At most he will get paid time off.
wow

Wilmington, MA

#2 Aug 20, 2010
If the emergency light wasn't on, he will definitely be in trouble.

Maybe his eyes was not on the road.
Bad Arte

Tyngsboro, MA

#3 Aug 20, 2010
Yes Arte you are right. It was a cat in the tree call, the cop was speeding, and he'll get nothing. You are a genius and a psychic. Truth is you know NOTHING about the facts. So do us all a favor and be a police hater by yourself in your own perfect little world.
Arte wrote:
You know dam well this cop will get nothing, you or I, that is another story. I can only imagine he was speeding to a call, like a cat in a tree os something and then killed someone. At most he will get paid time off.
12 the 3

Salem, MA

#4 Aug 20, 2010
HAHA Arte u are amazing lol
The One

United States

#5 Aug 20, 2010
I have heard from numerous sources, some reputable, others not, that he was not responding to a call at all, but going to Everett (speeding, might I add).

As I said, this is what I have heard, but let's just hope that the truth comes out when the time comes for an explanation from said cop.
Maggie

Amesbury, MA

#6 Aug 20, 2010
According to the evening news - a witness says the officer was responding to an emergency call with both lights and sirens working. The witness also said the officer was very upset and kept saying "Wake up, please wake up" Sound like he was in shock. Maybe the victim had on earphones or osmething and did not hear the cruiser. We'll find out within a few days.
Compassion

United States

#7 Aug 21, 2010
An unfortunate situation for all involved. My prayers for the man killed and the cop too.
Why bother

Lowell, MA

#8 Aug 21, 2010
Gotta love the cop hating hero's on this board. They know nothing of the facts yet got all the answers. Nameless cowards, right Arte you modern day American hero.
Hash Browns

Lowell, MA

#9 Aug 21, 2010
Some considerations to focus on. Night time crash. Poor lighting in area. Emergency vehicle responding to crime in progress. Pedestrian in Street w dark clothing. Pedestrian state of mind. Pedestrian walking or running. Road configuration. Size of vehicle. Size of pedestrian. Weather conditions. Surrounding hazards. Parked MV's in area. Yes this needs more investigation before conclusions can be made.
Arte

Cambridge, MA

#10 Aug 21, 2010
Why bother wrote:
Gotta love the cop hating hero's on this board. They know nothing of the facts yet got all the answers. Nameless cowards, right Arte you modern day American hero.
OK jack Arses,

I have 2 closed friends killed on seperate occaisions both by Police responding to a call. One was responding to a false alarm, the other responding to back up for smeone pulled over. Both times the police got off with nothing.

I have a scanner, so yes, I know more than you claim that I do not know. This guy had no reason to be responding in high speed to a back up call in another town. Also, after the cop hit the guy instead of admin care he pulled at him and began shaking him, maybe its just me, but that is not how its done. Absolute unprofessional and I am not a hater, but a realist. You need to read other newspapers, this happens much more than you think.

PS I am not a nameless coward, my name is Arte, duh.
worldwatcher

Boston, MA

#11 Aug 21, 2010
I have seen pedestrians many times crossing streets when a police car siren is on and the vehicle is approaching. I feel bad for the victim, and the cop too; who knows what happened really. No good to rush judgment until getting the facts.
Get the facts first

Boston, MA

#13 Aug 21, 2010
I have lived in Chelsea only 6 years. It is not only Chelsea that things happen it is in other towns and cities as well. Tragedy strikes wherever and whenever.
This could have happened anywhere. So it happened in Chelsea. The police officer was responding to a mutual aid call. I used to work dispatch in a town years ago. You have to ask questions from callers so you know how many police, fire engines or EMS vehicles to send. It is based on the information first received from a caller. No one knew why that officer was going fast. No one knew what type of call he was going too. All the information came out after the incident.
I still do not understand what the fuss is over going over the speed limit? Ummm. fire, police and EMS have the right to go over the speed limit to protect a life at risk. Sirens and lights are there for people to be warned that an emergency vehicle is on the way to a call. A lot of people do not even pull over when they see an emergency vehicle approach.
Members of emergency services are also putting their lives at risk also by driving fast and do not know if a pedestrian maybe walking in the street or a car will not pull over for them and they will have to go around it and may cause an accident with on coming traffic.
What gets me if the people who really did witness something or "heard" something why did they not call 911? They knew by hearing something there was an emergency. "I saw a shoe flying up". Well instead of getting on your phone and calling 911, you take pictures?
The witnesses got their 10 minutes of fame on TV. Witnesses who claimed that the police officer did not do anything. Did you see the windshield? He could have smashed his head into that windshield and could have been killed as well. He probably most likely went out for a brief moment and then woke up. Did anyone go to see if the officer was OK? NO! Any concerned person who saw a damaged window like the one on the K-9 truck would have gone to see if the officer was OK. That was a pretty big impact from the picture.
Taxi drivers drive worse than anyone. Put a taxi driver in place of the police officer. It would have turned out the same way.
Instead of trying to blame the CPD understand that they are probably feeling bad too. The officer had every right to go beyond the speed limit as he deemed the original call for help was warranted for it. Like I said a 911 call just that a call for help. If someone says their stove is on fire but the flames have gone up to another apartment the dispatcher does not know that.
Jeez people. Stop trying to find fault and fix blame. Put yourself in the position of a dispatcher, EMS, firefighter or police officer. They are only getting information from a trained dispatcher who can only go by the word of the caller.
Since when did everyone all of a sudden become forensic scientists?
mikr

United States

#14 Aug 23, 2010
Get The Facts First... the windshield was smashed by the impact of the victims body, not the cops head...
pissed off

Chelsea, MA

#15 Aug 23, 2010
GET THE FACTS FIRST,
You are right, no one has a clue. How many of these so called witnesses actually saw what happened? NONE
Maybe the officer turned the person over because he didn't have a pulse (did anyone think of that?) everyone loves to point fingers without having the facts. JUST AN FYI, MOST OF THE NEWS IS NOT SOLID FACTS EITHER. One station said the officer was suspended and it's a fact, the officer is not.
HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW FAST THE OFFICER WAS DRIVING? That was never said on the news. There are experts that determine that and how long lights/sirens were on for. The officer was called to another city for an emergency, was in fact driving with lights and sirens on. AND WAS NOT SPEEDING......I understand a person lost their life but no one knows what state that individual was at or if in fact they were negligant. There should be a J WALKING LAW in Massachusetts because I see people walking out daily in front of cars. I also see them walking out in front of fire trucks, ambulance and police cruisers with lights/sirens on. WTF is wrong with people? DO YOU ALL UNDERSTAND THEY ARE GOING TO AN EMERGENCY? AND WHY NOT WALK IN A CROSSWALK AND NOT JUST RUN IN THE MIDDLE OF ON COMING TRAFFIC???
No one ever looks at how many lives these people save each day, or how many people they help. They only look at the negative things or if something unfortunate happens. It was an accident and now this officer has to live with that their entire life. Does anyone care about that?
NOT FOR NOTHING, I KNOW THE SO CALL IT WITNESSES WHO SPOKE ON TV AND ONE IS A CRACK HEAD AND THE OTHER ONE CHANGED HER STORY 3 TIMES. WOW CREDITABLE WITNESSES WHO NEVER ACTUALLY SAW WHAT HAPPENED. THE NEWS AND PAPERS ARE SO WONDERFUL. I am convienced they just grab the first idiot they see and put them on tv. I really wish more people had the integrity that police officers have.
The West Newton Kid

Marlborough, MA

#16 Aug 23, 2010
Hash Browns wrote:
Some considerations to focus on. Night time crash. Poor lighting in area. Emergency vehicle responding to crime in progress. Pedestrian in Street w dark clothing. Pedestrian state of mind. Pedestrian walking or running. Road configuration. Size of vehicle. Size of pedestrian. Weather conditions. Surrounding hazards. Parked MV's in area. Yes this needs more investigation before conclusions can be made.
You're right; there are many questions that need to be answered before any blame can be given.

Questions such as "Was the Officer under the influence of any drugs or alcohol as he mowed down an innocent pedestrian"?

Just ealier this month in Indianopois IN a cop on duty ran his cruiser into a group of motorcycles; and killed a few people. And, he was apparently under the influence of alcohol at the time. Twice the legal limit.

Yes, indeedie; there are many unknowns here....
pissed off

Chelsea, MA

#17 Aug 23, 2010
The West Newton Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right; there are many questions that need to be answered before any blame can be given.
Questions such as "Was the Officer under the influence of any drugs or alcohol as he mowed down an innocent pedestrian"?
Just ealier this month in Indianopois IN a cop on duty ran his cruiser into a group of motorcycles; and killed a few people. And, he was apparently under the influence of alcohol at the time. Twice the legal limit.
Yes, indeedie; there are many unknowns here....
YES INDEEDIE THERE ARE MANY UNKNOWNS BUT JUST BECAUSE THAT HAPPENED TO ONE OFFICER DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE ALL GUILTY OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE.
The West Newton Kid

Marlborough, MA

#18 Aug 24, 2010
pissed off wrote:
<quoted text>
YES INDEEDIE THERE ARE MANY UNKNOWNS BUT JUST BECAUSE THAT HAPPENED TO ONE OFFICER DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE ALL GUILTY OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE.
I am not saying that just because an officer in Indianapolis was apparently slobbering drunk while on duty and he managed to slam into a group of motorcycles; spreading death and disaster; it means that all cops are automatically guilty of the same thing.

But, I do say this; ANY COP INVOLVED IN AN ON DUTY ACCIDENT RESULTING IN DEATH MUST HAVE AN ADMISSABLE DRUG AND ALCOHOL TEST PERFORMED. This is just in case a cop is either indulging in drugs or alcohol while on the clock; or he shows up at work with drugs and alcohol in his system from the prior nights fun and merryment.

Does that clear things up for you?
Maggie

Amesbury, MA

#19 Aug 24, 2010
For all the critics out there. It was an ACCIDENT folks. These things happen. The officer had his lights and sirens on -so what what the other guy was doingor thinking is anybody's guess.
Gates

Springfield, MA

#20 Aug 24, 2010
Obamas Cell Phone wrote:
I have no information regarding this incident. But, I think that the Chelsea Police acted Stupidly. In the end, it's all George W. Bush's fault. Now stop calling me, I'm on vacation!
LMAO!

Can we have a Beer Summit to discuss this?
The West Newton Kid

Marlborough, MA

#21 Aug 24, 2010
Maggie wrote:
For all the critics out there. It was an ACCIDENT folks. These things happen. The officer had his lights and sirens on -so what what the other guy was doingor thinking is anybody's guess.
I still say that common sense tells all of us that when you give someone a gun; and you let them blast down your streets at very high rates of speed; you better make damn well sure that they are not under the influence of any substances. Either legal substances or illegal substances.

So, it makes a whole lot of sense to administer mandatory drug and alcohol testing to any cop (local, city or state) who is involved in a fatal accident while on duty. It is common knowledge that alcoholism is much higher in law enforcement than it is in the general public; so, the odds are higher than the norm that a cop may have alcohol in his system while on duty. And, this may be a result of consuming drugs or alcohol while on duty; or it may be the result of residual drugs or alcohol, or both, in a cop's system.

Needless to say; any mandatory testing would have to be performed by an impartial third party. The cops are VERY CREATIVE when it comes to dodging responsibility for much of anything; vehicular homicide included.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chelsea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Capital Waste Scum on Cleaveland Ave 3 hr new years is next 3
Turnpike toll collectors help save man's life 6 hr reality is a crutch 1
Routines upended as demand rises in Boston's sh... 10 hr reality is a crutch 1
Mr. and Mrs. Carlo DeMaria Seeking Special Permit Thu concerned resident 19
Nearly 1,000 gather to honor slain Brighton woman Thu Steve Ruell 2
Human traffiking? Thu glenravi 7
Merry Christmas Wed Old Timer 1

Chelsea News Video

Chelsea Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chelsea People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chelsea News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chelsea

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:30 pm PST