Billerica teen settles suit vs. town,...

Billerica teen settles suit vs. town, police

There are 47 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 16, 2007, titled Billerica teen settles suit vs. town, police. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The parents of a 17-year-old Billerica boy have settled a federal lawsuit against the Billerica police and the town after claiming that police officers struck and choked their son after he was arrested.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

In the know

Lowell, MA

#22 Nov 8, 2007
often times municipalities will settle suits out of court despite the fact that they would win a case in court. To those of you who whine about tax dollars, you are being done a favor. The cost incurred by the town to fight the case, for example, lawyers fees, and overtime to those involved for testifying, and depositions would far exceed that of he settlement. Only the ignorant blindly beleive everything they read. Furthermore, the public would be very interested to know where exactly the "victim" is located right now. I am not at liberty to say, but i'm sure you can connect those dots yourselves. Hopefully the money is used to seek treatment for the problems that lead to his numerous interactions with law enforcement.
former resident

Dover, NH

#23 Nov 8, 2007
I grew up in Billerica and as much as I think this kid is a punk, I also think the BPD is a disgrace and needs to be fixed. I have seen first hand how those officers walk around like arrogant tough guys and I always thought something like this would happen. But it is apparently much worse then I ever thought.
And no - I have never been arrested or in trouble with the law.
former resident

Dover, NH

#24 Nov 8, 2007
Between this case, the Kennedy's, and the harrassment case pending.....it is obvious that this dept needs an overhaul and these officers need to be retrained or removed.

Since: Oct 07

Massachusetts

#25 Nov 8, 2007
I have to agree that far too many officers do have inflated egos and seem to think they are above following the same laws we all have to follow.

Since discovering this site, not too long ago, I've read about the Hudson officer caught drunk hiding in the woods after he led police on a chase through 3 towns, hitting things in his path.

Then there were the Dunstable and Reading officers that nearly shot the neighbor of one while drunk and firing rounds out the bathroom window.

Methuen is in a wreck right now too. First they discover 5 of 7 officers on duty watching a Patriots game while the other two patroled. Now the police chief is suspended and no one knows what's going on.

There's also a video on YouTube, I think it's Bad Cop or Cop gone wild, something like that. But it shows an officer behaving horribly to a young man he came in contact with.

Please understand I don't say they're all that way. I know and have come in contact with many, what I would call, Good Cops. But at the same time I've come across many that don't deserve to wear the badge.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's time to weed out the bad ones...they're giving the good ones a bad name.

BTW, I raised two great young adults and I didn't have to beat them. So the theories of if their parents don't do it the cops have to doesn't fly with me. Whether he is a punk or not isn't the issue, they shouldn't have hit him. If they did there has to be consequences.
booyaaaaa

Ypsilanti, MI

#26 Nov 10, 2007
Indeed you reap what you sow. bahwahwahaaa
Wow

Matawan, NJ

#27 Nov 16, 2007
In my humble opinion wrote:
I have to agree that far too many officers do have inflated egos and seem to think they are above following the same laws we all have to follow.
Since discovering this site, not too long ago, I've read about the Hudson officer caught drunk hiding in the woods after he led police on a chase through 3 towns, hitting things in his path.
Then there were the Dunstable and Reading officers that nearly shot the neighbor of one while drunk and firing rounds out the bathroom window.
Methuen is in a wreck right now too. First they discover 5 of 7 officers on duty watching a Patriots game while the other two patroled. Now the police chief is suspended and no one knows what's going on.
There's also a video on YouTube, I think it's Bad Cop or Cop gone wild, something like that. But it shows an officer behaving horribly to a young man he came in contact with.
Please understand I don't say they're all that way. I know and have come in contact with many, what I would call, Good Cops. But at the same time I've come across many that don't deserve to wear the badge.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's time to weed out the bad ones...they're giving the good ones a bad name.
BTW, I raised two great young adults and I didn't have to beat them. So the theories of if their parents don't do it the cops have to doesn't fly with me. Whether he is a punk or not isn't the issue, they shouldn't have hit him. If they did there has to be consequences.
No Dunstable police officers were involved in that incident, please get your facts straight.

As for this settlement.....some of you people take every news story as gospel. This particular person has serious issues and frequently abuses himself, no one from the police department abused him. The settlement was agreed to as a dollar savings for taxpayers, it's that simple.

Since: Oct 07

Massachusetts

#28 Nov 17, 2007
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
No Dunstable police officers were involved in that incident, please get your facts straight.
As for this settlement.....some of you people take every news story as gospel. This particular person has serious issues and frequently abuses himself, no one from the police department abused him. The settlement was agreed to as a dollar savings for taxpayers, it's that simple.
Yes, you're absolutely right it wasn't a Dunstable officer. The other officer is a Middlesex County Sherrif's Deputy who lives in Dunstable. I apologize for my error.

I haven't seen an update thread on that story but they've already lessened some of the charges, so 'll be curious how it works out.

So far as this story I'm a little confused as to why they would settle if they know they did nothing wrong? Wouldn't that then open the door for many more suits, in the long run costing the town more money?

I don't know any of the parties involved so can't really have an opinion as to whether this boy was abused or not. But, I do think if they know they didn't do anything wrong, the more responsible thing would be to fight this issue. If they don't trust the process will allow the truth to prevail...how are we expected to?
Wow

Matawan, NJ

#29 Nov 17, 2007
In my humble opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you're absolutely right it wasn't a Dunstable officer. The other officer is a Middlesex County Sherrif's Deputy who lives in Dunstable. I apologize for my error.
I haven't seen an update thread on that story but they've already lessened some of the charges, so 'll be curious how it works out.
So far as this story I'm a little confused as to why they would settle if they know they did nothing wrong? Wouldn't that then open the door for many more suits, in the long run costing the town more money?
I don't know any of the parties involved so can't really have an opinion as to whether this boy was abused or not. But, I do think if they know they didn't do anything wrong, the more responsible thing would be to fight this issue. If they don't trust the process will allow the truth to prevail...how are we expected to?
I'm inclined to agree with you but the reality is that the settlement was probably so small it wasn't worth the effort.
BDN

Rockport, MA

#30 Nov 17, 2007
Oh well, give the little pukes some spending cash, they go get all doped and boozed up and the whole cycle starts again.
Billerica Resident

Burlington, MA

#31 Nov 20, 2007
what up wrote:
fcuk the police!
OR WILLIAM ASHTON
Anonymous

Grosse Pointe, MI

#32 Nov 29, 2007
2 cents wrote:
Sounds like the Billerica Police department is run by a bunch of angry tough guys. I have heard nothing but bad things about them in the news. Someone in charge needs to fix this problem. I used to feel safe when thinking about police, now I feel scared. That's not how it's supposed to be.
Sounds like you only know what you read in the papers. And the Lowell Sun doesn't report good press. There are so many problems with this family. The Sun didn't report that the 17 year and his friend jumped the cop, he kick the cop in the head. Oh and that copy was hospitized with a concusion. Also did you know that the family moved to Lowell a few years back however the kids still go to Billerica Schools - your taxes hard at work for you.
disgusted in billerica

Dracut, MA

#33 Nov 9, 2008
yeah talking about billerica can you believe the liquor store in pinehurt at the plaza with their toothless employees on drugs and speeding around with their nose runnig so please do not think everyone doesn't know who you are and what your doing and that every Billerica residents does not notice that. We need people like this to go leave this town. Unbelievable we put up with this. What kind of drugs are they on?!
Totally disgusted in Billerica!
cop or hairdresser

Haverhill, MA

#34 Nov 10, 2008
Wow! Comments on every string that mentions the Kennedys on a Sunday night for blogs that haven't been touched in months. Someone got their booze in on Sunday. Let me guess - drunk cop just in from the Center or a hairdresser with Monday off?
miserable billerica

Gloucester, MA

#35 Dec 17, 2008
i know these kids, very well so i dont think todd or any of u people talkin shit right now about them, SHUT YOUR FUCKIN MOUTHS cuz u dont even know them, those kids have never done not one thing wrong, and i know alot of kids who do alot of bad stuff, but these kids are not the ones, they dont even smoke pot, just because their family has a bad history they cops have to watch the kids and harass them, im sorry but ive gotten stopped by the billerica police department plenty of times and ive gotten ripped out of my car at age 15 and i wasnt even driving, his name was timothy mckenna by the way from the billerica police department, after he ripped me out of the car he asked me where the fuckin gun, IVE NEVER OWNED A GUN IN MY LIFE, ive also got searched multiple times, ive gotten my head slammed against my fort in the woods near my house when i was 13 years old because i reached for my cellphone to call my dad, ive been held in billerica police cells for almost 10 hours, as im being told im going home then send me to a weekend facility at age 15 for defending myself and my 11 year old rother from two 21 year old kids shooting at us with paintball guns, everytime ive been areested in billerica has be a false arrest and my lawyer has proven me not guilty in every case, which in fact I WASNT FUCKIN GUILTY, SO MAYBE THE BILLERICA COPS NEED TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS AND REALIZE, THE PEOPLE IN OUR TOWN ARE THE WAY WE ARE BECAUSE OF THEM, I CAN HONESTLY SAY IM SCARED OF THE COPS IN BILLERICA AND IF I EVER HAD A PROBLEM I WOULD HANDLE IT MYSELF AND THAT IS A SAD STORY MY FRIENDS, SO BEFORE YOU GO OPENING YOUR MOUTHS ABOUT PEOPLE YOU DONT EVEN FUCKING KNOW THINK ABOUT IT FIRST BECAUSE YOU DONT LIVE IN THE ATMOSHERE WE LIVE IN, AND LOOK I CANT EVEN FUCKIN SPELL BECAUSE I WAS KICKED OUT OF BILLERICA SCHOOLS WHEN I WAS 15 AND TOLD I COULDNT GO BACK TO ANY SCHOOL IN BILLERICA, I SHOULD BE SUEING THESE FUCKIN PIGS
miserable billerica

Gloucester, MA

#36 Dec 17, 2008
Sounds like you only know what you read in the papers. And the Lowell Sun doesn't report good press. There are so many problems with this family. The Sun didn't report that the 17 year and his friend jumped the cop, he kick the cop in the head. Oh and that copy was hospitized with a concusion. Also did you know that the family moved to Lowell a few years back however the kids still go to Billerica Schools - your taxes hard at work for you.

and now im here to tell the truth , just to let you know buddy i was there and the papers dont even tell you the truth, officer strunk, tried to break my dylans arm and hes was only 14 thats why he got fuckin beat, cause he was fucking with the wrong people, you think your above the law, LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING """"YOU AINT"""" """ if one of yous tried to break my arm, there would be more then a fuckin concusion, ud be takin a fuckin dirt nap 6 feet deep, cuz like somebody said in this chat, you were fuckin trained to arrest people, SO DO IT RIGHT, OR GET YOUR ASS BEAT, FUCKIN HARDASS, so always remember mr officer, anything you do to us is gonna come back down on you ten times harder, i kno people at the station, i know people everywhere, you'll be suprised what im capable of, so watch who your talkin about, or ull be catchin anotha law suite, this time from me, cause i have emotional damage now, i cant even call my hometown police station if i need help, ive acually tried and this cop michelle something short little lady, sucks by the way, i called and she came, somebody had fucked up my car, and you know what she says when she comes , what was it over drugs?????????? so i basically told her to go fuck herself and id handle it in my own way, the moto on the side of the police cars are :people helping people: not people beating people, or trying to find anyway hto screw people, i cant stress it enough BILLERICA POLICE SUCK, ive acually had some pretty cool cops in lowell, boston,
miserable billerica

Gloucester, MA

#37 Dec 17, 2008
Sounds like you only know what you read in the papers. And the Lowell Sun doesn't report good press. There are so many problems with this family. The Sun didn't report that the 17 year and his friend jumped the cop, he kick the cop in the head. Oh and that copy was hospitized with a concusion. Also did you know that the family moved to Lowell a few years back however the kids still go to Billerica Schools - your taxes hard at work for you.

the annonamous officer wrote this by the way
The truth

Dracut, MA

#38 Dec 19, 2008
Cindy wrote:
Did anyone ever think that maybe a kid with that many infractions, came up with a story. Mommy and Daddy believe him and now the Cops look bad. Someone should look into this kids history and see if anything else is going on. I firmly believe this will not be the last time he is heard from, people like this cause trouble all the time. And with all the cameras that police stations have what evidence does this family have.
I'm the kid was 13 or 14 and look at his parents- he stays in bllerica he ha no chance.
Guess What

Lowell, MA

#39 Dec 19, 2008
No one cares about this anymore, with the exception of the irrelevant Kennedy clan. Ignoring them drives them crazy thats why they chose to resurrect this thread after over a month without any comments. Michelle, Brian, Billy, and son's, give it a rest no one really cares. Oh and have a Merry Christmas.
billerica teen

Lowell, MA

#41 Sep 24, 2009
miserable billerica wrote:
i know these kids, very well so i dont think todd or any of u people talkin shit right now about them, SHUT YOUR FUCKIN MOUTHS cuz u dont even know them, those kids have never done not one thing wrong, and i know alot of kids who do alot of bad stuff, but these kids are not the ones, they dont even smoke pot, just because their family has a bad history they cops have to watch the kids and harass them, im sorry but ive gotten stopped by the billerica police department plenty of times and ive gotten ripped out of my car at age 15 and i wasnt even driving, his name was timothy mckenna by the way from the billerica police department, after he ripped me out of the car he asked me where the fuckin gun, IVE NEVER OWNED A GUN IN MY LIFE, ive also got searched multiple times, ive gotten my head slammed against my fort in the woods near my house when i was 13 years old because i reached for my cellphone to call my dad, ive been held in billerica police cells for almost 10 hours, as im being told im going home then send me to a weekend facility at age 15 for defending myself and my 11 year old rother from two 21 year old kids shooting at us with paintball guns, everytime ive been areested in billerica has be a false arrest and my lawyer has proven me not guilty in every case, which in fact I WASNT FUCKIN GUILTY, SO MAYBE THE BILLERICA COPS NEED TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS AND REALIZE, THE PEOPLE IN OUR TOWN ARE THE WAY WE ARE BECAUSE OF THEM, I CAN HONESTLY SAY IM SCARED OF THE COPS IN BILLERICA AND IF I EVER HAD A PROBLEM I WOULD HANDLE IT MYSELF AND THAT IS A SAD STORY MY FRIENDS, SO BEFORE YOU GO OPENING YOUR MOUTHS ABOUT PEOPLE YOU DONT EVEN FUCKING KNOW THINK ABOUT IT FIRST BECAUSE YOU DONT LIVE IN THE ATMOSHERE WE LIVE IN, AND LOOK I CANT EVEN FUCKIN SPELL BECAUSE I WAS KICKED OUT OF BILLERICA SCHOOLS WHEN I WAS 15 AND TOLD I COULDNT GO BACK TO ANY SCHOOL IN BILLERICA, I SHOULD BE SUEING THESE FUCKIN PIGS
actually. the kennedys have done plenty of bad things. my cousing hangs out with these "gangster" kids and he told me this one kid was a good kid. that kid was arrested a few weeks ago for armed robbery with a 12 gauge shot gun.

they do smoke pot. the police here suck. i know. ive gotten in trouble too for a freaking crank call. but the kennedys arent good kids.
I Know

Billerica, MA

#42 Mar 13, 2011
Billerica Tax Payer wrote:
Same story, different family. Both families re-direct the blame to someone else. They'll be more bad parents with bad kids trying to sue Billerica police, because obviously these retarded judges are finding in favor of them.(Judge Judy would have threw the book at him) Thats the reason these kids are out of control. Because THEY ARENT HELD ACCOUTABLE for their actions and their parents are always blaming someone else. Sure the cops probably hate him, cuz he's probably a wise mouth punk who dont respect the law and his parents dont address it and they're tired of him. I bet he should have had TIME OUTS when he was 3 instead of his mommy & daddy making up excuses for him like "he's having a bad day" or "he missed his nap"! I'm tired of paying to defend cops who are trying to keep these kids in line. If you dont dicipline your kids THATS WHAT HAPPENS!(and the square bottle he was drinking from? That should be more of a focus with his parents too instead of who smacked him!) That bottle will do just as much harm if not more than a cop could!
I dont get beaten up by the Billerica cops, wanna know why? CUZ I OBEY THE LAWS!!!!!
DID YOU ACUALLY REFRANCE JUDGE JUDY???Taking a guess here,but,Is your name Timothy McKenna?Holy Crap!!! It "IS TIMOTHY McKenna"!! Unbafuckinlievable!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chelmsford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Mon jay murphy 18,330
Low Frequency Hum - Industrial Noise? (Mar '10) Aug 15 hilda33 58
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Aug 13 Redhead 348
News Kung found guilty of murder (Apr '10) Aug 4 Lil SteemeR 15
News Arrest made in double murder (Dec '09) Aug 4 Copwatcher 47
Robbery. Millpond road Aug 4 hammerhead 2
Billerica Music Emporium (Oct '12) Aug 3 Musikologist 15

Chelmsford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chelmsford Mortgages