Teachers cut access to students

Teachers cut access to students

There are 396 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 27, 2010, titled Teachers cut access to students. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

As contract negotiations continue to stall, the Chelmsford Federation of Teachers is sending school officials a message by cutting student and parent access to class assignments online and canceling class field trips.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
CHS Parent and Proud

Chelmsford, MA

#394 Nov 3, 2010
portly wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh ... ok ...
And this is what, a concession that you're incorrect?
Perfect. I accept.

This string has run its course people - and for anyone whose knee-jerk reaction is to correct the "its" in that sentence, it's correct. It's one of the only times (if not the only case) where the apostrophe "s" does not indicate possession, but instead takes the place of the "i" in "is." Thought I'd save you some time portly, as you try to save face. Don't bother.
Adios teacher wannabes!
NOPE

Chelmsford, MA

#395 Nov 5, 2010
Not true. Lowell is paid more than Chelmsford, and Dracut is another town that is underpaid compared to surrounding towns. I don't remember how Tyngsboro sized up.
Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! Chelmsford salaries are pretty good compared to surrounding towns like lowell, dracut and tyngsborough though. But it's nice to know that someone gets it. Oh but the part about copying, they should be doing that, it's part of the job.
Hater

Gardner, MA

#396 Nov 7, 2010
yes, lowell is more..my bad. but you are correct about the others
Get Real

Billerica, MA

#397 Nov 7, 2010
Unions in education Su**. Get the unions out of education.

Until we do our kids and our country,are screwed.
everyonesfacts

Salem, MA

#398 Nov 7, 2010
Get Real wrote:
Unions in education Su**. Get the unions out of education.
Until we do our kids and our country,are screwed.
Please see my previous posts from 181-200 to see why this is not true.

Best,
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#399 Nov 8, 2010
Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
And how do you argue that it's not funded? As long as there are teachers, it will be paid into.
"Paid into" and "funded" are not the same thing. 2008 did a lot of damage to your pension system. Teachers are not the only people funding the pension system. For example, in order for Middlesex County to meet funding requirements by 2028, contributions will have to be increased by 4.5% annually and investment returns will have to average 8.25% annually. Good luck with that.
Chris from Lowell

Boston, MA

#401 Nov 16, 2010
Teachers have to put up with all the kids; the good students and the nasty bastards that will never amount to anything. They have to have an education and be willing to make less than they could elsewhere in order to teach the youth of the community. You can't pay them enough. I'm well-educated and I passed the teaching certification for Massachusetts, but I refuse to teach because I can't stand the idea of dealing with the average student in Lowell. Teachers should be paid for teaching PLUS they should be paid for Day Care.
been there

Tewksbury, MA

#402 Nov 16, 2010
Chris from Lowell wrote:
Teachers have to put up with all the kids; the good students and the nasty bastards that will never amount to anything. They have to have an education and be willing to make less than they could elsewhere in order to teach the youth of the community. You can't pay them enough. I'm well-educated and I passed the teaching certification for Massachusetts, but I refuse to teach because I can't stand the idea of dealing with the average student in Lowell. Teachers should be paid for teaching PLUS they should be paid for Day Care.
Chris, thank you for realizing that teaching is not for you. So many teachers only teach because they couldn't get a job or make it in their field. They are miserable and they do more damage to the students.
I personally don't have the patience or talent for it myself. That's why I have a high respect for those teachers who are really good. It is NOT an easy job.
no more union looting

Dracut, MA

#403 Nov 16, 2010
MassMom wrote:
<quoted text>
Make a reasonable argument. In the meantime stop thinking you're so entitled just because you're a teacher.
Good luck w/ this effort. These folks aren't reasonable and don't make arguments. They just spout the union talking points which, as you can see, aren't the least bit convincing of anything (except their cluelessness)
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#404 Nov 17, 2010
Chris from Lowell wrote:
They have to have an education and be willing to make less than they could elsewhere in order to teach the youth of the community.
You do realize that teachers get paid until they die don't you?
Very few teachers could make more money in the private sector and the retirement benefits in the private sector are no match for the deluxe package our educators get.
Chelmsfordmom

Portland, OR

#405 Nov 18, 2010
Lets get this strait, Chelmsford teachers Union has voted on taking only McCarthy Middle School 8th grade students on a class trip to Canada, and have decided to exclude Parker Middle School 8th grade students from this trip????. I would like to know why this opportunity is not being made available to ALL 8th grade students in town. I would also like to know how the School Committee would allow this to happen-Shouldn’t ALL students be given the same opportunities, I guess it really does matter what side of town you live on. The redistricting of our students really did make a difference. No middle school dances or field trips for Parker students but McCarthy have dances, field trips and a trip out of the country? Half of the teachers ARE posting homework online, half are not. Teachers you do not appear to be “united” at all – You are hurting the students and the students alone.
John

Keene, NH

#406 Nov 18, 2010
72K for a teacher. Keep bankrupting the state. Look at Chelmsford tax rate. The tax collector is forced to apparaise property values at way above what they are worth. This will catch up with Chelmsford soon and everyones property values will decline. Stupid liberals.
Nab wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you really just suggest teachers work PART TIME? We may only get paid for 6 1/2 hours a day, but 90% of us work 8 or more.
I may not agree with everything Chelmsford teachers have decided on during this contract negotiation, but I certainly understand their frustration.
Libertarian

Bedford, MA

#407 Nov 18, 2010
Chelmsfordmom wrote:
Lets get this strait, Chelmsford teachers Union has voted on taking only McCarthy Middle School 8th grade students on a class trip to Canada, and have decided to exclude Parker Middle School 8th grade students from this trip????. I would like to know why this opportunity is not being made available to ALL 8th grade students in town. I would also like to know how the School Committee would allow this to happen-Shouldn’t ALL students be given the same opportunities, I guess it really does matter what side of town you live on. The redistricting of our students really did make a difference. No middle school dances or field trips for Parker students but McCarthy have dances, field trips and a trip out of the country? Half of the teachers ARE posting homework online, half are not. Teachers you do not appear to be “united” at all – You are hurting the students and the students alone.
Lady who gives a shit about the Canada trip, I mean really. Its a school!
They spend around 2K to go to the stupid thing while people are unemployed. It is just a trip for the teachers outside of their regular vacations and summers off, all the kids know it, its BORING! Some of these retired teachers get compensated up to 1 million dollars plus in benefits and pensions, that alone is going to bankrupt the town in less than 10 years. It doesn't take a frikken genius to realize that the unions have to be taken down or taken out of the schools all together or the whole town will be BROKE.
Chelmsford Taxpayer

Bedford, MA

#408 Nov 19, 2010
Chelmsfordmom wrote:
No middle school dances or field trips for Parker students but McCarthy have dances, field trips and a trip out of the country?
I do not know (or care) about the Canada trip, but dances are paid for and organized by PTO (as things like this should be). Sounds like your compain should be addressed to Parker PTO...
Lowell Teacher

Chelmsford, MA

#409 Nov 19, 2010
If you don't teach, what do you know about the average student in Lowell? I do happen to teach in Lowell, and I love my job,and mostly because I happen to enjoy and appreciate my students. Are there some challenging students to deal with? You bet there are, but the average student in Lowell is a great kid!
Chris from Lowell wrote:
Highland Grammar Queen

Cambridge, MA

#410 Mar 1, 2011
Sick of Unions wrote:
I don't loath the teachers, I loath the union that forces them to do things that most teachers don't support. My beef is with the union and if the teachers don't get control of the 20% that forces everyone to tow the union hardline then they will be treated in a harsh way. Welcome to the real world folks. Most of the Chelmsford teachers are great, its the few radicals that ruin it for everyone, those ignorant teachers should be fired.
<quoted text>
Make your case for the ignorance of others while you use loath for loathe, "tow the line" for toe the line, hardline is not a word.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chelmsford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dracut senior housing inches closer, but with a... Tue Patricia Russell 1
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Tue Bob KA-58 18,233
News Domestic assault charges dropped against former... May 22 hammerhead 1
do you remember? (wilmington style) (Aug '08) May 19 Airgoz 359
Camp Saint Mary's (Jan '09) May 15 Amyboorie 37
News Ex-Billerica man sues over medical treatment in... (May '08) May 8 Smirk 186
Low Frequency Hum - Industrial Noise? (Mar '10) Apr '17 Darrell Dammen 55

Chelmsford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chelmsford Mortgages