Teachers cut access to students

Teachers cut access to students

There are 396 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 27, 2010, titled Teachers cut access to students. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

As contract negotiations continue to stall, the Chelmsford Federation of Teachers is sending school officials a message by cutting student and parent access to class assignments online and canceling class field trips.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Power Trip

Chelmsford, MA

#1 Oct 27, 2010
Kathy Chamberlain is on another power trip and needs to resign! She and her ego and stalling this negotiations. She doesnt care about the children or parents and only cares about money!! RESIGN KATHY and give the rest of your teachers a chance at getting this contract done!
Tony

Maynard, MA

#2 Oct 27, 2010
Unions are fighting question 3 and stating it will hurt the children. So what about this?
Over taxed

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Oct 27, 2010
Over 72K for a part time job and they are complaining.
Get a real job and work 8 hrs a day.
Nab

Concord, MA

#4 Oct 27, 2010
Over taxed wrote:
Over 72K for a part time job and they are complaining.
Get a real job and work 8 hrs a day.
Did you really just suggest teachers work PART TIME? We may only get paid for 6 1/2 hours a day, but 90% of us work 8 or more.
I may not agree with everything Chelmsford teachers have decided on during this contract negotiation, but I certainly understand their frustration.
Please

Nashua, NH

#5 Oct 27, 2010
we had a sales tax that was nearly half of what it was a year back, it is not needed for anything else but giving those teachers a raise!!!!!!!!!It makes me sick every time I see it on TV, its about the schools and the teachers and more money, not the kids!!!!!!!
get a life

Chelmsford, MA

#6 Oct 27, 2010
Good for them taking a stand. They shouldnt be negotiating with the school committee anyway. What do they know about bargaining? The teachers work hard and deserve to be paid well for dealing with our children day in and day out.
Time to go

Boston, MA

#7 Oct 27, 2010
Time to let the teachers go.

What a nice world they live in, can we all come and live in your dream?
union GREED ALERT

Dracut, MA

#8 Oct 27, 2010
Nab wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you really just suggest teachers work PART TIME? We may only get paid for 6 1/2 hours a day, but 90% of us work 8 or more.
I may not agree with everything Chelmsford teachers have decided on during this contract negotiation, but I certainly understand their frustration.
greed stinks
It is true

Boston, MA

#9 Oct 27, 2010
I don't think it was a suggestion, it was an observation. Can't spin the truth.
Nab wrote:
<quoted text>
union GREED ALERT

Dracut, MA

#10 Oct 27, 2010
get a life wrote:
Good for them taking a stand. They shouldnt be negotiating with the school committee anyway. What do they know about bargaining? The teachers work hard and deserve to be paid well for dealing with our children day in and day out.
re: They shouldnt be negotiating with the school committee anyway

who do u suggest then?

re: The teachers work hard and deserve to be paid well for dealing with our children day in and day out

re: day in and day out, as opposed to every few days?? wtf a u talking about?

we should, DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!
no more union looting

Dracut, MA

#11 Oct 27, 2010
BUST THIS GREEDY UNION!

bring in merit pay and merit hiring w/ LARGE layoffs

all admin must go! all aids!, all "paras"...

lean and mean we will be

cut the blubbery fat!
Disgusted with it all

Europe

#12 Oct 27, 2010
It is time to remove the unions and its negotiations. Most hard working people work without a contract and do our jobs just fine, without interruptions. Shame on you for using these kids to get what you want. I would have you know that if a parent would do that to a child they would refer that to using the child as a pawn. It is sad that you think you are above that. If it were my child you were doing that to, I would say it was a form of extortion? A judge in a custody hearing wouldn't allow it. You should be fired for your tactics.
You chose your profession now get to work.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#13 Oct 27, 2010
Nab wrote:
<quoted text>
Most professionals work 8 or more hours each day. Most professionals don't have 80% pensions, health care insurance and sick time buy-back when they retire years after a teacher can. Most professions work at least 245 days each year, some work many more. What's your point?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 Oct 27, 2010
Please wrote:
we had a sales tax that was nearly half of what it was a year back, it is not needed for anything else but giving those teachers a raise!!!!!!!!!It makes me sick every time I see it on TV, its about the schools and the teachers and more money, not the kids!!!!!!!
You've got that right. All of the Charlie Baker attack ads are funded by the unions. All of the vote no on 3 ads are paid for by unions, the teachers and the AFL-CIO. Excellent reason to vote for Baker.
Freddy Mac

Waltham, MA

#15 Oct 27, 2010
no more union looting wrote:
BUST THIS GREEDY UNION!
bring in merit pay and merit hiring w/ LARGE layoffs
all admin must go! all aids!, all "paras"...
lean and mean we will be
cut the blubbery fat!
You want merit pay and merit hiring w/ large layoffs?

Then get rid of the No Child Left behind act. Teachers are forced to teach children who are disruptive to the classroom and have behavioral problems but their parents don't want them in Special Ed. Because of the No Child Left behind act, these students bring down the rest of the classroom.

I'm sure teachers would be fine with merit hirings, and merit pay if they can throw the troublemakers out and only teach the kids who want to be there. But as of now they can't. Someone has to teach the remedial classes so teachers need a union to protect them when they're required to teach the kids who don't care enough about themselves to try
Buster Bob

Chelmsford, MA

#16 Oct 27, 2010
Isnt Chamberlain the same weirdo that was suing her nieghbors over rocks and trees and trying to take money from a family with small children? Now she is trying to take money from all Chelmsford family's that are struggling with the economy. Time for Chamberlain and the rest of the greed invested teachers stop thinking about money and start thinking about the good of Chelmsford instead.
fahque

Chelmsford, MA

#17 Oct 27, 2010
All public service union contracts should only be approved by the employers of the employees. THE TAX PAYERS!. Local and state contracts should be on the ballot for the taxpayers to decide on them.
If they dont like it they can get a job someplace else.
63 - 73 grand a year with at least 3 months off?
I dont make near that and I work all year.
Freddy Mac

Waltham, MA

#18 Oct 27, 2010
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Most professionals work 8 or more hours each day. Most professionals don't have 80% pensions, health care insurance and sick time buy-back when they retire years after a teacher can. Most professions work at least 245 days each year, some work many more. What's your point?
If it's that good of a deal why don't you become a teacher?

I love all these people who claim that teachers have the easiest job, and that they should be ashamed of themselves. If being a teacher were that easy then everyone would want to do it.
I'm not a teacher, because although I would like to have my summers off, and have the vacations that they do, I'm not willing to put up with kids all day to do it.
no more union looting

Dracut, MA

#19 Oct 27, 2010
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Most professionals work 8 or more hours each day. Most professionals don't have 80% pensions, health care insurance and sick time buy-back when they retire years after a teacher can. Most professions work at least 245 days each year
I imagine that teachers fall into 3 categories, basically:

1) those with consciences who know they are looting the taxpayers and, deep down in their greedy hearts, they feel bad about it

2) those w/out consciences who lap the money up readily

3) those who are too stoopid to know what a good deal they have - these are the one who probably couldn't feed themselves w/out their unions. the true, exemplary Union Dolts, like this poster
no more union looting

Dracut, MA

#20 Oct 27, 2010
Freddy Mac wrote:
<quoted text>
You want merit pay and merit hiring w/ large layoffs?
Then get rid of the No Child Left behind act. Teachers are forced to teach children who are disruptive to the classroom and have behavioral problems but their parents don't want them in Special Ed. Because of the No Child Left behind act, these students bring down the rest of the classroom.
I'm sure teachers would be fine with merit hirings, and merit pay if they can throw the troublemakers out and only teach the kids who want to be there. But as of now they can't. Someone has to teach the remedial classes so teachers need a union to protect them when they're required to teach the kids who don't care enough about themselves to try
I agree that No Child Left Behind is federal meddling and I oppose it - however it is hardly the cause of union looting! not by a long shot

re: I'm sure teachers would be fine with merit hirings

what planet do u live on?!!!! they spend millions of dollars to AVOID IT

sheesh, pay attention!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chelmsford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three-alarm fire engulfs Billerica home 9 hr hammerhead 1
News Billerica weighs smaller lot sizes to attract h... 9 hr hammerhead 1
News A day in jail for VA theft (Jun '10) 15 hr Not a fan 11
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Sat ray 17,955
News Is The Driving Age In MA Too Young? (Apr '06) Apr 29 Hypocrisy person... 324
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) Apr 29 NH_Native 109
News Lowell school budget cuts loom (May '10) Apr 27 Bob McHugh 32
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chelmsford Mortgages