Chelmsford selectmen rip recall petition

Chelmsford selectmen rip recall petition

There are 35 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 26, 2010, titled Chelmsford selectmen rip recall petition. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Selectmen last night joined in voicing opposition to a looming petition to recall two members of the Planning Board.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Townie - Rep

Haverhill, MA

#1 Oct 26, 2010
Why should he be granted an extension, after all the damage this man has done?
I would recommend to all Chelmsford residents, watch what you put your signature to, make sure you get a complete statement in writing what the petition is for before you put a pen to any paper. Ensure in writing what is being asked of you, not just a verbal account of what the peition is for.
Remember all of the good work these members of the planning board have done for you. Remember that there first and foremost consideration of their position is the uphold the town's by-laws and to protect the residents of Chelmsford.
BOS Clueless

Lowell, MA

#2 Oct 26, 2010
absolutely amazes me that these people are suprised we want them recalled for "one little mistake"... HELLO?? you circumvented dozens of bylaws and state laws to "give" a valuable piece of town real estate to a former buddy and you cry at microphone that you did nothing wrong??
If the Board of Selectmen spent as much time on this project 9 months ago instead of hiding, we wouldnt have this issue....or maybe we would, but we'd have more names on the recall petition!!
jake

Princeton, MA

#3 Oct 26, 2010
It seems that politicians never want to be held accountable for their actions. A recall petition is a last gap measure to unseat those who either are doing a bad job or have in some way offended the voters. The voters have every right to do this. The BOS in this case has no standing, and by all that is right and holy should be keeping their mouths shut and allow the voters to decide. If the BOS isn't careful they too may find themselves out of a job come election day or maybe sooner.
Roland Van Liew

Lowell, MA

#4 Oct 26, 2010
George Dixon calls this a "petty sqabble?" A pattern of malfeasance is not a petty squabble. A recall is by no means inappropriate, as Matt Hanson stated. It's a last resort by residents whose concerns about growth, finances, open space, quality of life, services, and integrity in government have been ignored, in fact disrespected, for years. The new Master Plan is further evidence of that.

The Selectmen refused to vote to uphold the law and bring the Epsilon matter before Land Court for objective interpretation and enforcement. Instead they arbitrarily decided to vote that the deed restrictions are not being violated -- a question they are not qualified to answer and which the residents made it clear they wanted a court to answer.

In any case, the Preservation Restriction belongs to every resident of the town. Unfortunately, Mass. law requires the BOS to sue on our behalf. Since they refuse, it's no wonder they advocate for lack of accountability.
Lousy logic

Dallas, TX

#5 Oct 26, 2010
Absolutely the voters have a "right" to do this, but your rationale is truly one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this site, and that's saying something.

You say that elected officials risk recall if they are "doing a bad job or have in some way offended the voters."

Every single vote that every single elected official in this town takes "offends" at least a couple of people. We should be constantly circulating recall petitions!

Let's be honest: the conspiracy theorists have a strangle-hold on people in Chelmsford. All it takes is a mailing or two...
jake wrote:
It seems that politicians never want to be held accountable for their actions. A recall petition is a last gap measure to unseat those who either are doing a bad job or have in some way offended the voters. The voters have every right to do this. The BOS in this case has no standing, and by all that is right and holy should be keeping their mouths shut and allow the voters to decide. If the BOS isn't careful they too may find themselves out of a job come election day or maybe sooner.
BOS Clueless

Lowell, MA

#6 Oct 26, 2010
10% of the town's voters are not "a couple of offended voters!" Some town elections are lucky to get 10% turnout; let alone 10% who are willing to sign a recall petition; YOUR logic is seriously flawed! Furthermore, the BOS order "special elections" at the drop of a hat (no 10% voter approval required) and bill the taxpayers accordingly. In this case, over 2500 voters will be asking for a special election to recall incompetent Board members.
jake

Princeton, MA

#7 Oct 26, 2010
Lousy logic wrote:
Absolutely the voters have a "right" to do this, but your rationale is truly one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this site, and that's saying something.
You say that elected officials risk recall if they are "doing a bad job or have in some way offended the voters."
Every single vote that every single elected official in this town takes "offends" at least a couple of people. We should be constantly circulating recall petitions!
Let's be honest: the conspiracy theorists have a strangle-hold on people in Chelmsford. All it takes is a mailing or two...
<quoted text>
A recall petition is not something that just happens. it requires voters to sign a petition to get the recall before the rest of the voters. Yes elected officials make bad decisions which upsets some voters some of the time. However when it reaches a state where people are willing to sign a petition for a recall it rises to a much higer level. It should never be dismissed as just a few people being upset. Let the majority decide.
portly

Hinesburg, VT

#8 Oct 26, 2010
Roland Van Liew wrote:
George Dixon calls this a "petty sqabble?" A pattern of malfeasance is not a petty squabble. A recall is by no means inappropriate, as Matt Hanson stated. It's a last resort by residents whose concerns about growth, finances, open space, quality of life, services, and integrity in government have been ignored, in fact disrespected, for years. The new Master Plan is further evidence of that.
The Selectmen refused to vote to uphold the law and bring the Epsilon matter before Land Court for objective interpretation and enforcement. Instead they arbitrarily decided to vote that the deed restrictions are not being violated -- a question they are not qualified to answer and which the residents made it clear they wanted a court to answer.
In any case, the Preservation Restriction belongs to every resident of the town. Unfortunately, Mass. law requires the BOS to sue on our behalf. Since they refuse, it's no wonder they advocate for lack of accountability.
I'm certainly not one of your fans, but at least this letter wasn't a rambling mess like the other ones.

So, when are you going to discuss how the building of your house isn't part of the problem you complain about? Yours is a gerrymandered lot. There are deed restrictions on the land your sub-division was built on.

Why was that ok?

Maybe now would be a good time to discuss some of your published un-popular views as well. Do you want to clear up your comments?
jake

Princeton, MA

#9 Oct 26, 2010
Furthermore a recall initiative is one of the means to protect the residents and voters from bad decisions and acts as a tool to keep elected officials in check. Most towns have some sort of recall mechanism in place and sometimes excerise the option before the next election. Afterall it is the peoples government and not any one elected official.

I am sorry you feel that this rational is dumb. The voters apparently do not as they voted in the recall option.
The Observer

Lowell, MA

#10 Oct 26, 2010
Roland keep up the good work. What these elected officials don't realize is that they were elected to office to do what the majority of the people want, as long as it's not illegal. There are those people that once elected follow their own agenda and forget what the voters want. I was there at the meeting the night votes were taken by the town selectmen who didn't care how all those people got up and spoke against the building now being constructed behind the North Road firehouse. That building could only hold so many people and it was overflowing that night. Doesn't that send a message? The people didn't want the construction. The selectmen voted the opposite of what the people were asking for. Can these people especially Dixon be recalled? As for Dahlberg, you can see his writing on the wall. He wants to now run for higher office. Hey the selectman's job was only a stepping stone to a bigger elected position. Yeah eric you have the voters' best interest at heart when you were elected.
Roland keep up the good work......
The Observer

Lowell, MA

#11 Oct 26, 2010
Sorry I forgot to ad that the people will remember those that wouldn't listen to their concerns come voting time and HOPEFULLY GET RID OF THEM by voting new people in.
Mike

Montgomery, AL

#12 Oct 26, 2010
Roland Van Liew wrote:
George Dixon calls this a "petty sqabble?" A pattern of malfeasance is not a petty squabble. A recall is by no means inappropriate, as Matt Hanson stated. It's a last resort by residents whose concerns about growth, finances, open space, quality of life, services, and integrity in government have been ignored, in fact disrespected, for years. The new Master Plan is further evidence of that.
The Selectmen refused to vote to uphold the law and bring the Epsilon matter before Land Court for objective interpretation and enforcement. Instead they arbitrarily decided to vote that the deed restrictions are not being violated -- a question they are not qualified to answer and which the residents made it clear they wanted a court to answer.
In any case, the Preservation Restriction belongs to every resident of the town. Unfortunately, Mass. law requires the BOS to sue on our behalf. Since they refuse, it's no wonder they advocate for lack of accountability.
It's clear you have an agenda and will not be happy until it is fulfilled. Why do you not just run for office instead of trampling on the character of volunteers? If your're such a big shot, run for office and make the changes you complain need changing.
Elected Official

Chelmsford, MA

#13 Oct 26, 2010
Who cares what the people want? I know best. If you don't agree with me, me and my buddies will close a school, fire station, or a library. Just shut up ad be happy that I'm willing to volunteer my valuable time, and stuff my (and my friends) pockets with loot.

Go back to sleep, I'll tell you when you need to pay attention.
MacDonald

Montgomery, AL

#14 Oct 26, 2010
Recall petitions are for misconduct, not for a vote you didn't like so now you're going to go and cry about it. If you don't like someone's votes you don't re-elect them. To have someone in a constant state of campaigning causes officials to pander to the public instead of do an honest job. People sign petitions all the time when they have no clue what they're signing, and some have admitted they don't even follow the issues but were so moved by RVL - the same guy who has lied in just about every one of his mailings. Way to go ... Why anyone would run for office in Chelmsford is beyond me. It's the same reason you get knuckleheads running at all levels of government - it takes a masochist or someone with a personal agenda to want to serve in politics, especially in a volunteer job that doesn't pay. Do I want to help my town, absolutely, but I'll join a grass roots club like Open Space Stewards and leave my reputation in tact thanks ...
Volunteers are Great

Lowell, MA

#15 Oct 26, 2010
as long as they dont commit misconduct!! fraud, incompetence, ignorance, arrogance, etc, etc, as in the 9 north road case. Recall means that their acts were sooo egregious, we cant even stand the sight of them until the next election. Its Democracy in Action, Knucklehead!
portly

United States

#16 Oct 26, 2010
Recall is no easy feat. If 2,300 people sign a petition for a recall in 14 days, then there's a problem that must be addressed.

As for the reason people run for office ... Why do you think Phil ran? What do you think he got out of it?$$$$$$ That's what. The higher you go the more $ you can get. And to get it, you need to surround yourself with stupid people that will do your bidding and not realize what you're getting out of it. Think Jim Lane .. Think Pat Wojas ... I don't know what to think of Loew.

One thing is for sure, the election next week will change nothing in this town.

That may sound cynical, but look around ... Asking Harry Reid how he got so rich being in Congress was not a hit below the belt. Its right on target with why we all think these guys are crooked.
Chelmsford Voter

Lexington, MA

#17 Oct 26, 2010
I have no problem with the petitions if that is what Roland wants to do. However, if I am asked to sign one I will not!
Libertarian

Bedford, MA

#18 Oct 26, 2010
The selectmen are ripping the recall petition? Why? Is there something to hide? I am pretty sure it is this mans right to do this and if he gets the signatures, something must be amiss? That is the first reaction when somebody is guilty, to go on the defensive. As for the selectmen, if they are above reproach as they should be, then there is nothing to worry about.
Light of Truth

Chelmsford, MA

#19 Oct 26, 2010
Why would the planning board spend money for signs to stop a recall? Why are the selectmen suddenly so outspoken and "up in arms" about the recall? Why is the town being threatened with reduced services to pay for the recall? Where was the outrage when Scanlon quit, forcing a special election?

Something stinks, and the cockroaches are scattering.
portly

Hinesburg, VT

#20 Oct 26, 2010
Chelmsford Voter wrote:
I have no problem with the petitions if that is what Roland wants to do. However, if I am asked to sign one I will not!
That's exactly what this process is about. If they don't get the signatures, then there is no election and the town is out $450 for printing costs and having the lady stay until 5:30 to get the certification out to Roland.

Wow !!! Did she ever go above and beyond on that one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chelmsford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) 1 hr Bob KA-58 18,139
Low Frequency Hum - Industrial Noise? (Mar '10) Feb 22 jazzdc 54
Tommy Ellis - Ding Ding (Nov '10) Feb 18 Highlands kid 19
News Billerica man held in alleged assault (Jul '08) Feb 18 Billyrica 33
News Police arrest log (Dec '10) Feb 13 sammy 9
News Respect government workers (Sep '10) Feb 13 Mr-Harrington 8
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Feb 13 Fiona 805

Chelmsford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chelmsford Mortgages