Last chapter for Depew printing plant

There are 6 comments on the Buffalo News story from Apr 24, 2011, titled Last chapter for Depew printing plant. In it, Buffalo News reports that:

Business Dave Witt is shown in this 2008 photo stacking some finished printed novel covers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Buffalo News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Elk Grove Village, IL

#21 May 16, 2011
Raul wrote:
Is there any truth to the rummor that Quad is going to shut down Buffalo for 3 months then reopen the plant as a nonunion shop. This way they get rid of the unions and keep Harlequin happy with the books will still be printed next to them.

No truth whatsoever. The unions are NOT the reason for the shutdown. There is no longer enough work to justify keeping Depew open. Aside from that, it's illegal to bust unions like that.
My Opioion

Bowling Green, KY

#23 May 16, 2011
Look at what Quebecor did with Nashville shut it down and open back up a year later. So I don't know about it been illegal. But I don't see Quad doing this with Depew.

Since: Nov 09

Elk Grove Village, IL

#25 May 16, 2011
tbird19482 wrote:
<quoted text>There's no longer enough work because union labor has driven the pricing too high to remain competitive. All unions need to be busted!
Have a nice day.

I'm not union myself. There's not enough work in Depew because there's not enough work PERIOD. For one thing, Circuit City (which ran rotogravure in Depew and other plants) went bankrupt.

Paperback book volume has dropped, in part due to applications such as Kindle, but also just because a lot of people just don't read printed material the way people did a generation ago.

For a lot of us, the good days are long past. To single out unions as the reason for the passing of the good days is just not accurate. It's more accurate to blame past ownership for not maintaining and upgrading our once-state-of-the-art facilities.
anotherqwworker

Buffalo, NY

#26 May 17, 2011
Billy you are so right on. Had Pierre reinvested the money Depew and other plants made for him they would of been totally up to date with equipment. Being union had nothing to do with our plant closing and I really wish people would look past that. Our outdated equipment and the loss of work in the printing industry brought forth our demise. Eventually the printing industry as we knew and know it now will be no longer which is sad indeed.

“youbeateverythin g youknowthat ”

Since: Apr 07

Buffalo, NY

#27 May 17, 2011
Sometimes you have to turn the page and move on..
TOM MCANA

Gold, India

#29 Aug 17, 2014
Sorry i have no idea about this chapter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cheektowaga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Tom Waits 19,885
All Liberals Are Sociopaths (Jun '13) 10 hr Ibid 140
News Signs of Success (May '08) 18 hr credibility 34
News Buffalo NAACP: Stop naming things after Millard... Sat They 22
now who Sat the Ace of Spades 4
Frisbee Golf Course Ruining Chestnut Ridge Park (Dec '11) Sat djtpehnes 31
Review: TIM Hortons Ecmc Hospital Fri Buck Rohde 5
More from around the web

Cheektowaga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]