Last chapter for Depew printing plant

Apr 24, 2011 Full story: Buffalo News 26

Business Dave Witt is shown in this 2008 photo stacking some finished printed novel covers.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pressroom Joe

Buffalo, NY

#1 Apr 25, 2011
Thanks Smith for screwing up the plant.
KJC biggest mistake was making you GM.
dvm

Buffalo, NY

#2 Apr 25, 2011
Pressroom Joe wrote:
Thanks Smith for screwing up the plant.
KJC biggest mistake was making you GM.
Wake up Joe !!!
I am not a Dave Smith fan but he had NOTHING to do with the plany closing.
Head Man

Buffalo, NY

#3 Apr 25, 2011
dvm wrote:
<quoted text>
Wake up Joe !!!
I am not a Dave Smith fan but he had NOTHING to do with the plany closing.
I think Pressroom Joe was saying he screwed up the plant. Yes, he did not have a vote in the plant closing. His boss controlled the future of the plant and his as well. Everybody knows that his management style was a little strange. Yes he was not a KC. His red face would turn off anyone followed by the yelling making you feel like a no body. No one really ever trusted the man. Hope he finds a good job but Quad should not place him anywhere they produce books; customers are turned off by his personality, character, behavior, qualities, and persona.
sparky

Alden, NY

#4 Apr 25, 2011
Head Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Pressroom Joe was saying he screwed up the plant. Yes, he did not have a vote in the plant closing. His boss controlled the future of the plant and his as well. Everybody knows that his management style was a little strange. Yes he was not a KC. His red face would turn off anyone followed by the yelling making you feel like a no body. No one really ever trusted the man. Hope he finds a good job but Quad should not place him anywhere they produce books; customers are turned off by his personality, character, behavior, qualities, and persona.
What personality were you looking at.Sure he got mad from time to time, but only in his effort to keep the doors open.I think everyone was frustrated from time to time.In the end he had to do some white lying in order to not start rumors or create chaos.As far as customers not liking him, you do not know that as a fact.He tried his best, Quad does not want us, and there was little that Smith could have done about it.He did not vote on the snap back. We did.
booky

Buffalo, NY

#5 Apr 25, 2011
sparky wrote:
<quoted text>
What personality were you looking at.Sure he got mad from time to time, but only in his effort to keep the doors open.I think everyone was frustrated from time to time.In the end he had to do some white lying in order to not start rumors or create chaos.As far as customers not liking him, you do not know that as a fact.He tried his best, Quad does not want us, and there was little that Smith could have done about it.He did not vote on the snap back. We did.
We who ????
pica

Ransomville, NY

#6 Apr 25, 2011
THREE people is the answer. ME MYSELF and I
dvm

Buffalo, NY

#7 Apr 25, 2011
"Snap back" made no difference !

North Tonawanda, NY

#8 Apr 25, 2011
Quad is the only one to blame for us closing as no one at the plant had a say as to whether or not it stayed open or was to close. It's business remember, our jobs meant nothing to them as our lives don't either. Tax breaks to the rich were suppose to create jobs if you remember our government stating that. Quad took our jobs away......and they did get the tax breaks. I think they have bit off more than they can chew also.

Since: Nov 09

Elk Grove Village, IL

#9 Apr 26, 2011
I honestly don't think that Quad/Graphics is the right place to blame for what's happening to Depew.

The downfall began years ago, under Quebecor in general and that little prick Pierre Karl Péladeau in particular.

Other legacy Worldcolor plants (such as Corinth and Mount Morris) HAVE had their work "appropriated" by legacy Quad plants.
chain smoker

Edmonton, Canada

#10 Apr 26, 2011
Billy_ wrote:
I honestly don't think that Quad/Graphics is the right place to blame for what's happening to Depew.
The downfall began years ago, under Quebecor in general and that little prick Pierre Karl Péladeau in particular.
Other legacy Worldcolor plants (such as Corinth and Mount Morris) HAVE had their work "appropriated" by legacy Quad plants.
I think you have it all wrong ,the end was when old man Péladeau
died he had class and skill to make money not only spend . Kids with no brains sound the same ?
Sparky

Alden, NY

#11 Apr 26, 2011
Billy_ wrote:
You are correct Billy. The milking of buffalo at the employees expense started with Pierre, he had it on his agenda to close Buffalo right from the start.KC and his sunshine boys kept us open as long as they could, but the lack of true investment by Quebecor and lack of upgrades to the fascility,were the beginning of the demise of what was once a great place to work for.The new plan to integrate work into West Virginia and Massachusettes from Buffalo, is only for the reason that Quad would have to spend money to bring Buffalo back to competitiveness. So they killed 2 birds with one stone, got rid of the union workers, and upgraded the other fascilities.Bottom Line , World Color/Quebecor initiated the whole deal, not Quad.I hope Quad fires all the ex World Color execs eventually, before they turn Quad in to Quadecor.
Raul

Niagara Falls, NY

#12 Apr 28, 2011
now that the plant is closing can i have my personal file. What will they do with my info
Revolutionist

United States

#13 Apr 29, 2011
Raul wrote:
now that the plant is closing can i have my personal file. What will they do with my info
you can have a copy of ur personnel file anytime u want. They will copy it for u. Anything that u signed u can get copies of...if u didn't sign because of a disagreementu can't copy,, such as write up or bad evaluation
Buffalo News Editional

Lockport, NY

#14 May 1, 2011
Another economic blow
The closing of Quad/Graphics plant ends proud printing tradition in Depew

It’s tough to see longtime Buffalo companies disappear or relocate, which is the case with Quad/Graphics.

The Depew printing plant is set to close by the end of the year, and when it does about 400 workers will lose their jobs. That’s another hit to Buffalo’s economy and another loss of a company that over the years employed thousands under various names.

The plant was part of J. W. Clement when Arcata Graphics acquired Clement in 1965. In 1993, Quebecor World acquired Arcata Graphics. Quebecor World filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2008 and emerged from bankruptcy as Worldcolor Press.

Last August, Quad/Graphics acquired Worldcolor Press and, at the time, executives said the move would benefit the company by offering a more diversified product line. With those encouraging words there wasn’t reason to worry, at least not much.

As a union official said at the time, the George Urban Boulevard location seemed well-situated and able to offer something unique to the company with its mass-market paperback production and its location next door to a distribution center for Harlequin, publisher of romance novels.

But, in the end, that didn’t seem to make much difference. In December the company announced it was eliminating 95 jobs at the Depew plant. Last week came the announcement that the plant would close in November.

It’s been a long road for a company with deep roots here. Meantime, Quad/Graphics plans to invest more than$15

million in its Martinsburg, W. Va., plant to strengthen the company’s book operations there. In addition, it will boost book manufacturing operations at its Leominster, Mass., plant and has announced multimillion-dollar capital investments in digital press technology at its book manufacturing facilities in Fairfield, Pa., and Dubuque, Iowa.

Every plant or business closing, relocation or repurposing is another blow to the local economy. Lives are not so easily transferable and salaries, especially in skilled areas, are not so quick to be replaced. Indeed, this is sad news for Quad/Graphics employees, their families and Western New York.
Kip Drordy

Buffalo, NY

#15 May 1, 2011
What does anyone know about the Harliquin branded e-reader that is in the works? Story is Harliquin is very upset about Quad's move out of Depew and plan to offer kindle type e-readers to their customers. For a contract to buy one book a month,for 24 months,the e-reader is "free".If this happens not only does HQ. not have to worry about getting physical books from W.V.they can begin to save money by winding down their own costs from warehouse/distribution. Any thoughts/inside knowledge?
Kip Drordy

Buffalo, NY

#16 May 4, 2011
Depew finally gets these Timsons presses going fairly well and guess what? The same damn butchers that put them together in the first place are the knuckleheads doing the disasambly. Along with the "clean-up" being done by temps,I can only wish the folks in W.VA.....good luck.I would not let any of these people mow my lawn. First J.W.Clement/Arcata/Quebecor/no vink/World Color/Quad Graphics reunion is slated for 11/11/11 at the old Urban Inn across the street.They also have a new name and owners,though I hear they are doing well and not going anywhere.
e books

Lockport, NY

#17 May 5, 2011
MAY 5, 2011

Amazon to Publish New Line of Romances

Amazon.com Inc. is expanding its fast-growing publishing business with a new line of romance books, its latest quest for original content to distinguish its print and digital bookselling services.

The imprint, Montlake Romance, will publish digital, physical and audio books and launch with an original new work, Connie Brockway's "The Other Guy's Bride," this fall.

In an interview, Jeff Belle, vice president of Amazon Publishing, said the online retailer will eventually publish books in other genres, including thrillers, mysteries and science fiction.

"Our customers are voracious readers of genre fiction, and romance is one of the biggest and fastest growing categories," said Mr. Belle.

Its moves are likely to exacerbate existing fears among some publishers that Amazon, the nation's dominant online bookseller, will use its marketing prowess to emphasize its own titles at the expense of books issued elsewhere.

"They can push their writers to the front and they have a decade of genre purchaser information," said one New York publishing executive who declined to named.

Mr. Belle said that Amazon believes that its move into publishing will benefit the entire publishing business by helping authors sell more books.

Amazon is increasingly battling traditional book businesses. The online retailer earlier this week sued the National Association of College Stores, which represents more than 3,000 college bookstores, over allegations made by the organization to the Better Business Bureau. The college stores say Amazon makes unsubstantiated claims about discounts offered on textbooks it sells. Amazon says its advertised discounts aren't misleading.

Amazon's plans for original content come as its Kindle electronic reader and store—introduced in 2007— faces fierce competition. Apple Inc.'s iPad and Barnes & Noble Inc.'s Nook e-reader have recently gained market share in devices and e-book sales.

Its publishing efforts also illustrate how the company is seeking to control some of its inventory more directly, competing with its suppliers. In recent years, for example, Amazon purchased Quidsi Inc., the parent of Diapers.com and Soap.com , as well as shoe retailer Zappos.com .

In 2009, Amazon launched its first imprint, AmazonEncore, with Cayla Kluver's self-published young-adult fantasy novel "Legacy." Its AmazonEncore business takes potentially hot digital titles, often self published, edits them and distributes them digitally and via print retailers. Its Kindle Direct Publishing is one of the world's largest repositories for self-published digital works.

The online retailer has also aggressively pursued exclusive content deals with publishers and authors. Arthur Klebanoff, chief executive of e-book publisher RosettaBooks LLC that has struck such deals, says Amazon provides "substantial site promotion" for the exclusive titles.

Amazon's publishing efforts could also lead to better economics for the e-commerce giant, allowing it to cut out paying third-party publishers.

Other booksellers have also entered the publishing business. Barnes & Noble, the nation's largest bookstore chain, has a long-established publishing program of its own that includes Sterling Publishing, a leader in how-to titles, and SparkNotes, a study guide series.

Ms. Brockway, a veteran romance writer, said in an interview that Amazon approached her after she announced publicly that she would be exploring self-publishing. "Amazon will do the things I'm not good at, including copy editing and marketing," she said.

Ms. Brockway's "The Other Guy's Bride," available for pre-order on Amazon.com , costs $9.49 for a paperback and $4.99 for the Kindle edition.
Raul

Niagara Falls, NY

#18 May 15, 2011
Is there any truth to the rummor that Quad is going to shut down Buffalo for 3 months then reopen the plant as a nonunion shop. This way they get rid of the unions and keep Harlequin happy with the books will still be printed next to them.
the militant

United States

#19 May 15, 2011
Raul wrote:
Is there any truth to the rummor that Quad is going to shut down Buffalo for 3 months then reopen the plant as a nonunion shop. This way they get rid of the unions and keep Harlequin happy with the books will still be printed next to them.
The work is already going to other plants. So whatever rumor you are talking about is just someone pissin in the wind.
dvm

Buffalo, NY

#20 May 15, 2011
They are also taking apart 1 of the newer presses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cheektowaga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Cry Baby 19,374
Bauerle and The Second Amendment 3 hr Fat Vidka 6
One Eyed Girlfriend 6 hr Fat Vidka 1
VIDEO PROOF of Dance, _____, Dance 7 hr The Wally Waltz 3
Wallys presidential campaign slogan: pick the b... 7 hr Selph of steem 34
Does Lief Coah enjoy Gay Sex? (Apr '14) 9 hr Fat Vidka 51
Man convicted of setting dog on fire found shot... 10 hr Fat Vidka 15
Cheektowaga Dating
Find my Match

Cheektowaga Jobs

Cheektowaga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cheektowaga News, Events & Info