Trashing Garbage Cans?

Trashing Garbage Cans?

There are 91 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Jan 7, 2008, titled Trashing Garbage Cans?. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

Mohamed Khalil of Cheektowaga could not understand why he would he was missing garbage cans and garbage totes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Jennifer

Buffalo, NY

#26 Jan 8, 2008
Accidental?! Eight trash cans belonging to one person and they determine it's accidental?! I find that hard to believe. Glad I don't live in Cheektowaga!
Jennifer

Buffalo, NY

#27 Jan 8, 2008
Karen in West Seneca wrote:
<quoted text>
You sir don't even make sense. The people employed by the Town of Cheektowaga are paid to do a service for the town residents. It is included on a separate line on their taxes. However, the people employed by the Town to do this service ara a rude uncaring bunch. The block streets, throw cans every which way - in streets etc., sand if a bag of trash is dropped they leave it for the homeowner to pick up. They need lessons in courtesy and proper ways to pick up trash. They are paid very well and receive excellant benefits. The residents should get the courteous service they pay for. I have never experienced the same problems in West Seneca. The trash collectors work one side of the street and then the other. Cars are waived by, and not once have I had to pick up garbage laying on the street since I moved here like I occasionally had to in Cheektowaga. I will sday those who pick up the recycles in Cheektowaga are much more courteous and considerate. Perhaps the trash collecters paid by Cheektowaga should take instructions from the contracted out recycle service.
Town of Tonawanda sanitation workers do an excellent job. They are efficient and are normally courteous to other motorists, waving us by when it's safe. I read occasional complaints in the local "blow off your steam" - bag might get spilled, or garbage can left in a bad spot, but overall (especially after reading some of these comments) it is obvious we are lucky to have what we have. Their job is not an easy one, and for the most part, they do it efficiently.
AKJ

Atlanta, GA

#28 Jan 8, 2008
So much for tax $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Sorry A$$ workers.
Dwayne

United States

#29 Jan 8, 2008
Looking at the picture, Mr. Mohamed Khalil does not miss too many meals.
Jen

North Tonawanda, NY

#30 Jan 8, 2008
I live in Williamsville and I don't think our garbage men are too fond of my house. Since moving in we've had a few cans broken and for some reason they always put our extra one in the official town ones. Anyhoo ... my point is to those saying stop whining ....
If you don't like your job as a sanitation engineer then get a different one. Don't expect me to say woe is you. Give me a break. Do your job and stop complaining. You know what you signed up for. And let's be honest. It's nowhere near as difficult as it used to be.
gene

AOL

#31 Jan 8, 2008
these guys do a good job. try walking behind one of those trucks all day, or in the middle of winter when your garbage is frozen or snow covered
Saveit

United States

#32 Jan 8, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
Town of Tonawanda sanitation workers do an excellent job. They are efficient and are normally courteous to other motorists, waving us by when it's safe. I read occasional complaints in the local "blow off your steam" - bag might get spilled, or garbage can left in a bad spot, but overall (especially after reading some of these comments) it is obvious we are lucky to have what we have. Their job is not an easy one, and for the most part, they do it efficiently.
I agree wholeheartedly. Kenmore/Town of Tonawanda has excellent service. They pick up almost everything that is thrown out. When we gutted out our entire second floor, I called the sanitation department to see how many boxes of the old plasterboard I could throw out. The supervisor took my address and told me I could use the entire length of my home and to get rid of it all in 1 pick-up. Not only did they pick it all up (a pile of 4 x 20 feet), they came by with a sweeper to get all the drywall material off the road. I could not believe it. Makes paying these taxes a little easier.
Taxpayer

East Hampton, CT

#33 Jan 8, 2008
Well if I had an education that made me collect trash, I would have an attitude also. I wouldnt care whose trash cans I threw around.
Oh Please

Hamburg, NY

#34 Jan 8, 2008
gene wrote:
these guys do a good job. try walking behind one of those trucks all day, or in the middle of winter when your garbage is frozen or snow covered
It's their job! That's what they get paid for!
bob

AOL

#35 Jan 8, 2008
well, i live by union and losson in cheektowaga,and our sanitation dept does an excellent job.
Ron

Niagara Falls, NY

#38 Jan 8, 2008
Hey, now this is good video for our site www.ipranked.com . OMG, I am laughing my a s s off. I am he sees this comment and decides to upload the video to our site www.ipranked.com . LOL

Ron T
Founder
www.ipranked.com
Omniscient

Buffalo, NY

#39 Jan 8, 2008
This doesn't surprise me, ALL garbage workers are exactly what they pick up: GARBAGE.
Is it any surprise they do the job, it's the only job they could find.
Jennifer

Buffalo, NY

#40 Jan 8, 2008
Saveit wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree wholeheartedly. Kenmore/Town of Tonawanda has excellent service. They pick up almost everything that is thrown out. When we gutted out our entire second floor, I called the sanitation department to see how many boxes of the old plasterboard I could throw out. The supervisor took my address and told me I could use the entire length of my home and to get rid of it all in 1 pick-up. Not only did they pick it all up (a pile of 4 x 20 feet), they came by with a sweeper to get all the drywall material off the road. I could not believe it. Makes paying these taxes a little easier.
Yep! Not many places get that kind of service every week of the year! I still don't like the totes, and think they could've gotten by with enforcing the old covered garbage law (saving money at the same time) but such is life. You can't have everything! I do agree we do get a lot for our tax dollars - more than many other communities.
Jennifer

Buffalo, NY

#41 Jan 8, 2008
Oh Please wrote:
<quoted text>
It's their job! That's what they get paid for!
But they don't get paid to deal with all those who don't follow the rules (or common sense)regarding disposal of certain items that endanger them - used needles, glass, chemicals, etc.- and that happens all too often.
Bookey the Elephant

Alfred Station, NY

#42 Jan 8, 2008
Cheektowaga is so corrupt!
James

Buffalo, NY

#43 Jan 8, 2008
If people are employed to collect trash they should probably receive some training as to the major differences between the trash and the trash containers.
Peter Griffin

Buffalo, NY

#45 Jan 8, 2008
EVERY municipal service should be put out to bid on a regular basis. If the service is presently done in-house (Cheektowaga sanitation) that department MUST ALSO bid on the job. The lowest bid wins! Guess how many municipal in-house departments would remain?
rszski

Buffalo, NY

#46 Jan 8, 2008
How hard is it to dump the garbage and put the can back where you found it? No one is asking them to take them back to the owners garage or anything. This is basic. If you can't get that part right, quit. I know it isn't an easy, glamorous job, but you are compensated quite well for this. Do it right!!
fred

Buffalo, NY

#48 Jan 8, 2008
I think a garbage job is one step above driving school bus, I usually tip my garbage guys who work for waste management and they do a good job.
It's a thankless job, be nice and show some respect to others. they have no reason to toss the garbage cans unless they too looked like garbage. lol
fred

Buffalo, NY

#49 Jan 8, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
Accidental?! Eight trash cans belonging to one person and they determine it's accidental?! I find that hard to believe. Glad I don't live in Cheektowaga!
Are you saying one person has Eight trash cans? How on earth do they have that much garbage? One tote per person should be allowed, that person is filling all the landfills himself

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cheektowaga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The real deal about blacks 13 hr Scotty Steiner 62
Do black lives really matter? 14 hr alex 45
what happened with the case? (May '10) 16 hr dradnats 4
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr Hipocrit 20,505
Tim Demler (Jun '15) 23 hr Pollster 101 31
News WIVB-TV News4 Buffalo, NY |Federal agents raid ... (May '08) Fri Rhogrebe 931
trump luvver (Feb '16) Fri PeterCheeks 28

Cheektowaga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cheektowaga Mortgages