First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Buffalo, NY

#62 Aug 31, 2013
thenycommie wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in the Harlem Genesee section near Queen of Martyrs Church. The best way I can describe it is that a wave of destruction started in the center of Buffalo and then slowly worked its way east. Back in the day, we would go for a fish fry at Benny's and then walked to the Bailey theater with my parents to catch a movie. I'm sure Buffalo will come back, but certainly not in my lifetime.
The Commie
The Bailey theater was one of my regular destinations and we used to sneak in the side door from the alley. It was on the right side of the theater as you were looking at the screen. Remember throwing flattened popcorn boxes at the screen during intermission? That would get you thrown out of the place if you go caught. We used to buy fish every Friday from a place a few blocks up Genesee and bring it back for dinner.

I think Buffalo will be back real soon.
Lance Boyles

Germany

#63 Aug 31, 2013
We all share similiar memories.
I was a Courier Express paperboy on Bissel between Genesee and Ferry. Washed dishes at Beckers rest. on Genesee and Ivy. Roast beef from Bailo's, Fridays fish fry from Trautweins on Grider.
Went to the Sat matinee at the Genesee show.
I loved growing up in Buffalo, but the Buffalo that I remember is long gone. The people made the neighborhoods, and they left in the 60's. Some to the suburbs, some to all corners of the
States, and some beyond.
rose

Dunkirk, NY

#65 Aug 31, 2013
i lived on the coner of sycamore and fillmore. my parents owned a pizzeria and grocery store there. the streets were lined with trees, i shopped at sattlers on broadway, walked, roller skated everywhere by myself as a teenager. now my old house is torn down and the lot is empty. i dont even fel safe driving down there anymore. we lived in alot of areas in the city, near fillmore broadway, mills street, walden bailey area when my kids were little. now all of it is ghetto. houses are boarded up, burned out or being used to house drug traffickers. the city will never ever be what it was. i am glad i remember when though. parades used to pass our house and on broadway, i worked selling balloons and toys for the vendors and worked on comission at 12 years old. to come home with $10 in those days was like you were rich. there aren't fun opportunities for our youth like that now. everyone is afraid to trust anyone. modern technology took personal interaction and now kids have pre arranged playdates. what is this horse shit? i'm glad there are some people left who remember the good old days when you went downthe street and knocked on your friends door to see if they could come out to play. i wish it was then!
Jim

Derby, NY

#67 Sep 7, 2013
Mary Lounsberry
Dab3443

East Aurora, NY

#68 Feb 12, 2014
Still wondering if anyone knows the name of the instrumental song that WNIA played at sign off at 12:30? It had an accordion in it, possibly clarinet too, it was not Midnight mood, this was a different song they played just before they signed off for the night.
Thanks
Dab3443

East Aurora, NY

#69 Feb 12, 2014
Bash wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that it was an instrumental and French accordion music sounds right. Any further info anyone?
Wondering about this one myself
Bob Bell

Buffalo, NY

#70 Feb 12, 2014
I worked for Mary Lounsberry for a short time when she was station manager at WNIA.
Does anyone know if she was related to Ike Lounsberry- one of the founders of the old BBC- Buffalo Broadcasting Company. Ike virtually started the broadcasting industry in Buffalo.
Rich Stettenbenz

Chappaqua, NY

#71 Jun 15, 2014
11:00 was Thoughts Of You by Denny Vaughn. 12:00 was Midnight Mood by Richard Maltby. Both should be on Youtube.
cybrsaylr

East Amherst, NY

#72 Oct 18, 2014
12:00 theme Midnight Mood by Richard Maltby.
cybrsaylr

East Amherst, NY

#73 Oct 19, 2014
I listened to WNIA all the time in the 60s and remember hearing this song being played nightly at 11PM.

Joe Baschnagel

Lockport, NY

#75 Jun 28, 2015
There was also a song they played at 11:00 everynight
Joe

Lockport, NY

#76 Jun 28, 2015
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
FRANK or anyone:
Midnight Mood was at 12:00 but I remember in 64-68 time frame another song was played every night at 11:00 PM. Do you remember what it was?
I thought it was Twilight Time
Sissy Hagelstein

Buffalo, NY

#77 Jun 28, 2015
I listen to the oldies on WJJL, AM 1440 Niagara Falls and they play Midnight Mood quite often
Michael Seneca

United States

#78 Jun 12, 2016
This song reminds me of my dad too. He worked full time for F N Burt in Cheektowaka and moonlighted delivering booz for a liquor store on Seneca Steeet in Buffalo. It was like pizza delivery today. I would ride with him on Saturday evenings. The store closed at midnight. He would listen to WNIA, and Midnight Mood would be playing on the radio as we drove home.

What's amazing is the number of people from WNY that have such fond memories of this song!! I miss the old WKBW, WYSL, WNIA, WUFO, and WBLK!!
Norb

Detroit, MI

#79 Jul 16, 2016
rose wrote:
i have been searching for the name of a song and artist for years now, it used to be played on wnia in the 60's at 12:00 midnight every night. it was instrumental and my dad listened to it almost every night. he is gone now and i would sure like to hear it again for the sake of memories. someone once told me it was from a foreign artist. does anyone remember this?
The song was a instrumental called the Midnight Mood played every midnight by Disc Jockey Mike Melody
rose

Buffalo, NY

#80 Jul 20, 2016
Michael Seneca wrote:
This song reminds me of my dad too. He worked full time for F N Burt in Cheektowaka and moonlighted delivering booz for a liquor store on Seneca Steeet in Buffalo. It was like pizza delivery today. I would ride with him on Saturday evenings. The store closed at midnight. He would listen to WNIA, and Midnight Mood would be playing on the radio as we drove home.

What's amazing is the number of people from WNY that have such fond memories of this song!! I miss the old WKBW, WYSL, WNIA, WUFO, and WBLK!!
what's even more amazing is the fact that I posted this question and comments 5 years ago and people are still responding. I think it's hilarious that even though the correct answer was given at least 10 times, people still keep adding their own 2 cents. We've established the fact that it's midnight mood by Richard maltby and there was a video and soundtrack included so we could make a positive decision about this response being correct. I still listen to this song when I feel a little blue and it makes me feel a little better because I think of my dad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cheektowaga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
slumlords in buffalo (Jan '09) 45 min Shorty420 63
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Inspector tiny ta... 20,694
News Carjacking & police chase in Hamburg (Jun '08) 8 hr sirianniregdosbut... 30
News WIVB-TV News4 Buffalo, NY |Federal agents raid ... (May '08) Thu Toocoolforschool 923
lawyers to fight CPS (Mar '11) Thu Chad 18
Trump for President, He will win. watch Wed Scotty Steiner 9
News Grand Island Fire Co. hosts live burn exercise Nov 30 Robert J Miskines... 1

Cheektowaga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cheektowaga Mortgages