Cheektowaga-Sloan Students Punished f...

Cheektowaga-Sloan Students Punished for Drinking

There are 777 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 3, 2007, titled Cheektowaga-Sloan Students Punished for Drinking. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

There will be no football games or any other school activities for eight John F. Kennedy High School students after they admitted they drank alcohol Saturday night before attending the high school homecoming ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 39
Next Last
Dave

Dunkirk, NY

#1 Oct 3, 2007
Big deal. I rather hear about teens having a beer or two rather than getting mixed up with meth or something really serious.

A 30 day suspension seems a bit much, especially since they seem to have been co-opertaing right along.
Rusty

Athol, MA

#3 Oct 3, 2007
You do the crime, you get the time. It called taking responsibility for your actions, Dave. They signed the pledge NOT to drink and they all readily admitted breaking the pledge. At least they are honest. Maybe they should get into politics?
Mike

Wellsville, NY

#4 Oct 3, 2007
Rusty,
You need to get a grip. There are alot more pressing issues to tackle in our schools then a couple of kids having a few brews.
Rusty

Athol, MA

#5 Oct 3, 2007
Mike wrote:
Rusty,
You need to get a grip. There are alot more pressing issues to tackle in our schools then a couple of kids having a few brews.
Your right Mike, I was Trying to be funny. This story was just humorous to me after reading about tolls, the election, the casino, and the deaths. I'll try to keep it light, thanks.
Allan

Dunkirk, NY

#6 Oct 3, 2007
There is another fine example of authorities going after hard core crimminals teenagers.

I wonder how many teens were out doing real crimes (Like guns or cocaine) while valuable resources were wasted on this trivial nonsense.
Buffalonian

Buffalo, NY

#7 Oct 4, 2007
did you know there's crack at the bar at the end of Halstead in Sloan?
Croc Hunter

Dunkirk, NY

#8 Oct 4, 2007
Buffalonian wrote:
did you know there's crack at the bar at the end of Halstead in Sloan?
that crack in the wall has been there for years
LatinMassCatholi c

Buffalo, NY

#9 Oct 4, 2007
Our teens need to be monitored so that they will learn how to become responsible adults. They are still kids, and this indeed is even MORE important for police to address, because it is a step towards deterring future criminal activity, not to mention hopefully discouraging alcholhalism and it trappings. Do not make the mistake that we are to minimize any offense which teens do just because they are teens; discipline them now, and pray they will learn from it.

It is never a waste of a valuable resource to shape the morals of our kids by intervention; let them smoke and drink and run around, and more than likely one or more of them will commit a serious crime in the not so distant future, or end up in a gutter. It could be mine or even your child;
discipline is certainly needed in our society!

Don't keep light what is the beginning of major - intervention now is better than chasing them down later for killing, shooting or driving drunk, wouldn;t you say???
Heloise

Hinsdale, NY

#10 Oct 4, 2007
Drinking under the age of 21 is "AGAINST THE LAW" whether you are a football player or a tennis star. Just like dog fighting, murdering your wife and not using a car seat for your baby are also against the law... Stop protecting youth who break the law, maybe they will learn that "star status" does not entitle you to do what you want. Thank you to the Superintendent and the Pricipal for standing your ground!!!
JFK

Hinsdale, NY

#11 Oct 4, 2007
Perhaps the news should check its facts on the stories. Also, the new principal is having quite the time making his feelings known. This is simply a case of a person of power making an example, equivalent to fighting someone on the first day of imprisonment. To deny that driking occurs at high schools is terribly ignorant. More focus should be put on the more serious crimes going on. The fact that the students accused were atheletes is irrelevant and too much focus is being placed on their status as athletes.

Talk to those involved and find out the true story rather than read what the press has to say.
Lynn

Tonawanda, NY

#14 Oct 4, 2007
Agree with JFK, Houghton, NY. Someone should check the facts with the kids involved. They did not voluntarily take the breatalizer, they were singled out and are now being threatened to get kicked out of school for wearing protest tee shirts to school. I agree they shouldn't have been drinking and going to a school function but from what I know more than half the dance was drunk and only 8 got caught. Next dance, breathalize EVERYONE before they enter and see how many kids show up.
JFK Alumni

Tonawanda, NY

#15 Oct 4, 2007
LatinMassCatholic wrote:
Our teens need to be monitored so that they will learn how to become responsible adults. They are still kids, and this indeed is even MORE important for police to address, because it is a step towards deterring future criminal activity, not to mention hopefully discouraging alcholhalism and it trappings. Do not make the mistake that we are to minimize any offense which teens do just because they are teens; discipline them now, and pray they will learn from it.
It is never a waste of a valuable resource to shape the morals of our kids by intervention; let them smoke and drink and run around, and more than likely one or more of them will commit a serious crime in the not so distant future, or end up in a gutter. It could be mine or even your child;
discipline is certainly needed in our society!
Don't keep light what is the beginning of major - intervention now is better than chasing them down later for killing, shooting or driving drunk, wouldn;t you say???
I went to JKF, went to football, basketball games in our days and drank beer and did not drive, kill anyone, ever get arrested, never got in a fight in my life and live my life as an adult now no worse off. I smoke to! I'm not out shooting someone for their cigarettes. You need a reality check
LTP

Hinsdale, NY

#16 Oct 4, 2007
I think it is so funny on how many wrong statements were said in this article, i have been made aware by very good sources the students were forced to take breathalizers and had no choice. I know for a fact that no students admited to drinking alcohol in any way that night. People need to get the RIGHT facts and talk to the people involved with the incident and get the story straight. Of course it was the wrong thing to do, but everyone makes bad choices some times. The punishment is rediculous and to much for such actions. The school is making it very hard for these students to even want to attend school beacuse of all the ignorant things teachers have to say about them, when they dont know the whole story.
jfk

Buffalo, NY

#17 Oct 4, 2007
I go to the school, im attending right now and there are students going around protesting the fact that the football players cant play foot ball. they shouldn't be allowed to, its their own fault for showing up to a school function drunk. someone even brought a bottle with them, and what i want to know how they got to the school in the first place. its one thing to drink at your house, its another to go to school with more than the legal amount of alcohol in your system. there is no reason the students should not be punished.
JFK 1985

Tonawanda, NY

#18 Oct 4, 2007
Maybe the "new" principal should stop in at Four Stallions or Vinny's someday "after" a game and see their coaches in action. Granted, they are adults and of age, but they are also suppose to be role models for the students. Can't imagine where these kids get the idea that going out with your buddies and having a couple drinks is "fun"
Truth Seeker

Sardinia, NY

#19 Oct 4, 2007
I believe that this situation should have been handled in a totally diffrent manor. From what i have heard, these aren't your average trouble makers acting up and misbehaving. Some of these students are Student council members, athletes, and good students in school. Everyone makes mistakes, its part of life. To take away everything these kids worked for there entier highschool career especialy being seniors is just wrong. There are many other ways the school could have handled this situation. I believe that it is also unfair for this article to have been published without having both sides of the story first. The only side we have heard form is the schools' superintendent who is one person as opposed to the eight students who were punished. The superintendent is one of the worst people to get the story from, considering that he was not present at the dance, But i mean come on lets be real whos going to believe kids over High power school officials. The administration has already made up its mind, and rather quick if you dont mind me saying.(Since the punishment was givin less then 48 hours after it had happen with one point of view and that was there OWN!!)
yuck

Flushing, NY

#20 Oct 4, 2007
JFK 1985 wrote:
Maybe the "new" principal should stop in at Four Stallions or Vinny's someday "after" a game and see their coaches in action. Granted, they are adults and of age, but they are also suppose to be role models for the students. Can't imagine where these kids get the idea that going out with your buddies and having a couple drinks is "fun"
so.. because you work in a school you cannot drink or go to a bar? an of age adult in a bar having a drink with a friend.
oooohhhh.. the shame of it all.
Bob

Dunkirk, NY

#21 Oct 4, 2007
JFK 1985 wrote:
Maybe the "new" principal should stop in at Four Stallions or Vinny's someday "after" a game and see their coaches in action. Granted, they are adults and of age, but they are also suppose to be role models for the students. Can't imagine where these kids get the idea that going out with your buddies and having a couple drinks is "fun"
Both Vinnys, Stallions and any other establishment these coaches go to, is after hours, on their own time and not on school property and all of JFK's coaches are over 21. So whats your point???
Jim

Angola, NY

#22 Oct 4, 2007
It's truly amazing how many people that have responded to this story, choose to diminish the act at hand. To dismiss it by saying that there are more important issues to tackle, is blatently irresponsible and truly ignorant. I would imagine that most of the people I am describing are either students or former students that practiced the same thing and think nothing of it. Tell that to the families of those 4 kids that were killed earlier in the week in that car crash!

How many parents or siblings out there that are reading this, would continue to "defend" these kids if one of them had driven a car that night and hurt or killed one of your loved ones? Too many people are "coming to the rescue" of these kids because it didn't have a direct affect on them. But they would be singing a very different tune if it had!

I certainly hope that none of these irresponsible respondants are parents! If a parent feels that this issue should be simply overlooked, then they should never have had children. Having the attitude that this is some sort of right of passage, or that "everybody does it", would be parental negligence.

One of the underlying issues here is that many of today's youth have that immortal attitude that they can do whatever they wish and "how dare the authorities try to intervene". Life is full of decisions that must be made every day. But when we make a poor decision, we need to stand on our own two feet and accept the responsibility rather than whine about the consequences.
Heloise

Sardinia, NY

#23 Oct 4, 2007
IF PARENTS WOULD TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THEIR OWN CHILDREN AND MONITOR THEIR FRIENDS, WHERE THEY ARE GOING AND WHAT THEY ARE DOING MAYBE WE WOULDN'T BE READING THESE ARTICLES.
AND, THE LAST TIME I LOOKED, THE SCHOOL BELL RANG AT 3:15PM, WHAT A COACH OR PARENT DOES ON HIS OR HER OWN TIME IS THEIR BUISNESS. THESE ARE RESPONSIBLE ADULTS, NOT CHILDREN CAUGHT DRINKING ILLEGALLY!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 39
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cheektowaga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 24 min Mary beth 20,662
News Why Charlotte Reacted to Shooting with Protests Fri Homeboynot 5
Alleged Mafia Activity in Buffalo, Niagara Fall... (Mar '16) Fri Nicklecity 19
Worst areas of Buffalo (Sep '12) Thu Eastside Ryda gang 50
Crane Accident South Buffalo Thu SkyCrane 1
Trump is just stupid white trash Wed punK 11
Do black lives really matter? Wed punK 60

Cheektowaga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cheektowaga Mortgages