Northern Michigan's landscape marked ...

Northern Michigan's landscape marked by man's handiwork

There are 30 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids story from Apr 28, 2008, titled Northern Michigan's landscape marked by man's handiwork. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids reports that:

“I think that we have an advantage where we can ship large components”

Tom Moran knows that he just can't please everybody. That fact is magnified when it comes to the massive pieces of art he makes each year for the Onaway Fourth of July parade. via WOOD-TV Grand Rapids

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Onaway Citizens

Southfield, MI

#1 Sep 9, 2008
Tom should seriously consider throwing his hat in the ring and run for Mayor of Onaway, or at least a seat on the city commissioners. He has proven himself as leadership material.
Presque Isle Co Resident

Southfield, MI

#2 Oct 7, 2008
If I'm not mistaken Tom Moran lives in Cheboygan County and has his business in Cheboygan County, that is where all his tax base is. If he wants to run for office he would have to run in his own township or for a Cheboygan County seat.
answer

AOL

#3 Oct 20, 2008
not ot blow it out of the water or anything but I think Gary is doing a fine job! We don't need Tom, besides he has his company to run, and the way it looks it is running down hill at the moment.
Someone whos been there

Southfield, MI

#4 Oct 22, 2008
This whole subject is silly.Would Tom Moran make a good mayor? Most likely,he has been very sucessful at most every thing he has attempted.That said could he or anyone else for that matter do anything much different than the current commission? I doubt it. There is only so much government can do.
This is a case of people looking for a hero to ride in and save everone from all their problems.
This isn't reality.
The only ones who can really change a community are its residents collectively.
The current Mayor and comission have been successful in bringing a great deal of positive change to Onaway.
None of it could have happened though without the backing of the citizens.
John M

Coldwater, MI

#5 Oct 22, 2008
Whomever owns the iga grocery store up there needs a god store manager torun it. I have been in grocery management for 24 years and would be happy to assist if the pay was right. I would make that store very profitable again. whomever own;s it should get ahold of me. I turned around the big lots in Big Rapids and I could do it for that store too. If interested give me a hollar.
Presque Isle Co Resident

Southfield, MI

#6 Oct 23, 2008
John M wrote:
Whomever owns the iga grocery store up there needs a god store manager torun it. I have been in grocery management for 24 years and would be happy to assist if the pay was right. I would make that store very profitable again. whomever own;s it should get ahold of me. I turned around the big lots in Big Rapids and I could do it for that store too. If interested give me a hollar.
Onaway, Michigan does not have an IGA grocery store. Are you talking about Onaway, Alaska perhaps?
answer

AOL

#7 Oct 23, 2008
Hey guess what?! Tom's Family Market use to be the IGA and sometimes I still call it that! Toms has a good manager yet the same so sorry to burst your bubble. Hope he does something soon with the store because I am a resident of Onaway and I would rather spend the gas and go somewhere where I can get good deals and things I need instead of buying it at the Family Market!
Respond

Southfield, MI

#8 Oct 27, 2008
Tom has turned that store around, from someone who looks at the ads for Glen's, Ken's and Tom's.
Tom is equal to the prices compared to Ken's and even better on somethings and much better prices than Glen's. I see people from Rogers City at Tom's quite a bit.
Onaway

Detroit, MI

#9 Nov 2, 2008
Respond wrote:
Tom has turned that store around, from someone who looks at the ads for Glen's, Ken's and Tom's.
Tom is equal to the prices compared to Ken's and even better on somethings and much better prices than Glen's. I see people from Rogers City at Tom's quite a bit.
**Cough Cough** Bullsh*t
Toms jacks their prices to line um...now what the sh*t is that guys name again....Oh yea TOM MADDISON

Can o Beans in Glens .89-.99 Kens .89-1.09 Walmart .79-.99 Toms 1.39
Former Resident

Tucson, AZ

#10 Nov 3, 2008
I used to live in Onaway and just so everyone knows.....when Carter's burned several years ago, (the building Tom just bought and moved into) Tom jacked up his prices so high while Carter's was out of business that many people were forced to drive to Cheboygan for groceries. Now that Carter's has gone under due to employees and customers stealing so much Tom has a monopoly in town and he knows it. Shame on him for doing that to the town that has kept him in business for so many years.
confused

Southfield, MI

#11 Nov 4, 2008
What does Tom's Family Market have anything to do with Tom Moran and his 4th of July art work, which is what this started out to be.
yawns

Detroit, MI

#12 Nov 5, 2008
Maybe Tom Moran's stuff is tired thats why they are talking about other things.
I Agree

Sun Prairie, WI

#13 Nov 6, 2008
I grew up in Onaway too, and MOST of the time my family shopped at Carters, however, now that Tom's is the only place to shop unless it is an emergency my parents go to Cheboygan to shop. Like a lot of Onaway Citizens they are on a tight budget and every penny counts, so when they go to a Doctor appointment they stock up! It is unfortunate that people have to drive to get groceries instead of keeping the money in the community.
onawayer

Southfield, MI

#14 Nov 6, 2008
yawns wrote:
Maybe Tom Moran's stuff is tired thats why they are talking about other things.
You are absolutely correct in calling it "stuff". Only the un-educated and ignorant call it "art". He produces giant versions of work that has already been created - nothing original. Statue of Liberty Head, Torch, the list goes on.
blech

Gaylord, MI

#15 Nov 7, 2008
I've driven around northern michigan visiting various family and friends and I've seen these giant... things sitting around. The last thing I'd call it is 'art'. They're god awful eye-sores. I wish someone would get rid of the damn things. Do business owners really think these things make their site look good?

"Yay lets put a giant deformed head outside! That'll get everyones attention!"
big giant head

Southfield, MI

#16 Nov 7, 2008
LMAO! My brother in law calls Onaway the "Land of the Big Giant Heads!" I think its kind of a joke to downstaters.
big giant head

Southfield, MI

#17 Nov 7, 2008
AND they tried to sell the camo head at auction for charity and no one would bid on it 'cept for Moran's pop.
yawns

Alger, MI

#18 Nov 7, 2008
well maybe there is something 2 them, ya are all still yaking about them.

start a new thread
Former Resident

Tucson, AZ

#19 Nov 9, 2008
Not that I am a huge fan of Tom Moran or anything, but he has been making these things for almost 20 years...give him a break on originality ok? In the past he has made a giant frog that sticks its tongue out, a rifle that actually fires, an HUGE fish tank with sturgeon in it, a giant ax, a large butterfly that flaps its wings and lots more. If not for him, no one would go to Onaway for the 4th of July parade since it is nothing but logging trucks and race cars now!
There Ya GO

Clarklake, MI

#20 Nov 10, 2008
Former Resident wrote:
Not that I am a huge fan of Tom Moran or anything, but he has been making these things for almost 20 years...give him a break on originality ok? In the past he has made a giant frog that sticks its tongue out, a rifle that actually fires, an HUGE fish tank with sturgeon in it, a giant ax, a large butterfly that flaps its wings and lots more. If not for him, no one would go to Onaway for the 4th of July parade since it is nothing but logging trucks and race cars now!
No truer words were spoken.
agreed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cheboygan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement reports rece... (Jul '11) Jun '16 muessig1 2
Detroit Jun '16 David 1
News Crusty brown algae mats growing in pristine Mic... Apr '16 focus 1
Local Politics Do you approve of John Wallace as Commissioner? Apr '16 John Thompson IR MI 2
News Did you ever rock out at Castle Farms in Charle... (Feb '09) Dec '15 John 40
News S.A.N.E. makes 26 arrests (Mar '08) Nov '15 Sneaky Pete 12
Ignore (Nov '15) Nov '15 None 1

Cheboygan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cheboygan Mortgages