Moving to Chattanooga
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ursula

Naples, FL

#1 May 24, 2006
I was wondering if I could get some pros and cons of your city. We visited about a month ago and fell in love witht the area. We do have a child who is going into 6th grade so any school info would be wonderful.

Thank you
Ursula
Ursula

Naples, FL

#2 May 25, 2006
Anything?:)
clifford

Auburn Hills, MI

#3 May 26, 2006
chatt..it depends on skin color...north off chatt,,,one of best areas left in usa....north ga..plenty of work..north of chatt lower living exp...chatt city schools black...county schools white....but over all ...a race friendy city...very little race issue....but changing rapildy due to mexican inflex...we have gangs forming...mexicans have brought drugs..rape..theft..to a new level...and started dog fighting and several other things not before seen in this area...and wages have been cut allmost in half..in past 10 years..
Ursula

Naples, FL

#4 May 26, 2006
Thanks for the info Clifford. Sucks about the illegals moving in, that's what I was hoping to get away from. I have lived in NM and now in FL so you can imagine how used to it I am at this point. I do have to say that when we visited a few months ago I took notice that the amount of illegals was way lower than what I am used to seeing. We also looked at Signal Mountain, but I thought the whole area was just beautiful.
clifford

Auburn Hills, MI

#5 May 26, 2006
signal mountain is one of the better places...but real expensive...the prices there are many times higher than any where in this area....compared to new mexico it would be heaven...i spent several years in that miserable state....a lot of my neighbors live in tn...part time...and spend the winter in florida...tn is just about equal with fla.
Ursula

Naples, FL

#6 May 26, 2006
lol yeah anywhere is better than NM... Well the mountains are beautiful, and downtown Santa Fe where I worked for many years is pretty cool and funky, but well... It kinda sucks when even as a Chippewa you are a minority lol... FL, now Jimmy Buffett ain't all wrong, it is paradise. However it is a concern when my son goes to school with kids who take away class time because they can't speak English in the 5th grade. TN is still the better deal when it comes to house price, for sure. When you say Signal is expensive have ya check prices in Naples? A cheap condo goes for well over 300k... Give me a break. lol

Where in NM did you get stuck? lol You mean to tell me you don't miss the 4 inch centipedes, and juniper?

Ursula
clifford

Auburn Hills, MI

#7 May 26, 2006
i worked all over new mexico...from cutting timber in pie town thats this side of arizona border to the oil fields in hobbs..got two boys in carlsbad they live there...worked with navajho in dattel saw milling...worked around santa fa some...believe me you would love tn..compaired to santa fe...if you move to tn..you will find a lot of chippewa lives here
Ursula

Naples, FL

#8 May 28, 2006
A lot of Chips? That's cool :) I do believe you TN is gorgeous, the mountains, and the rivers. Funny how much I miss tall green trees lol. You can't get the Michigander outta this girl.

Looks like you where all over NM, now from what I understand there ain't much in Pie Town, well other than good pie. I did spend some time in AZ also, out in Lake Havasu. Pretty area out there too.

Ursula
clifford

Auburn Hills, MI

#9 May 29, 2006
let me know if you are coming to tn. i can tell you where every thing is..the good parts of town and the bad,,,also if you are native american where the contacts are
Ursula

Naples, FL

#10 May 29, 2006
Well if you could let me know the parts of town to stay away from that would help. At the moment I can only go online to see what houses are for sale, and don't know the areas all that well. We are still waiting for our place in FL to sell before we move, so once we have an offer things will go pretty quick.

Thanks again for all your help.
Elaine

Chattanooga, TN

#11 Jun 17, 2006
Hi, Ursula...

I moved here just a few weeks ago myself and deliberately chose one of the "less desirable" areas because of the low price of a home. Despite the outward appearance, I find my neighborhood very friendly, close-knit and ridiculously convenient to everything. This POV is probably because my last residence was in suburban Atlanta, where you had to drive for hours to get anywhere. We are very happy here, so far. I do have a teenager who will start at Brainerd HS in August and we're deeply curious to see how that turns out. Good luck wherever you choose to move.
Elaine

Chattanooga, TN

#12 Jun 17, 2006
Ursula, you would probably want North Chattanooga, Signal Mountain, Red Bank, Hixson, Soddy Daisy, East Ridge or Ooltewah. Highland Park (zip code 37404) is very close to town and currently a totally mixed bag -- some beautiful old homes going dirt cheap in some cases but in dire need of fixing up. After the fix-up, the values go up considerably. But still, it varies from block to block in this part of town. Avoid zip code 37407 at any cost - virtually every ugly news headline comes out of that area. Hope this helps.
clifford

Auburn Hills, MI

#13 Jun 18, 2006
north chatt is all right..my mom lived there till she died..signal mt..over priced...red bank cops live off writing tickets..hixson or soddy best choice..north chatt depends on the street..closer to blvd..better..ooltewah parts pretty good but some areas are high theft ...soddy daisy would get you best home for the money,,but you would be much better in dayton..which is a 45 min drive to chatt..lower living expence..and all the shopping area without taxs and cost of living in chatt.
Ursula

Naples, FL

#14 Oct 11, 2006
I know it's been a while, but thanks for the info.
Urs
Vicki

United States

#15 Dec 9, 2006
Ursula, have you moved to TN yet? I live in FL, too (Pensacola area) and our family will be moving to Chattanooga in June 2007. I have been researching the area as much as possible online. We have four children, oldest in 6th grade, so the schools are a big part of our decision on where to live. Leaning toward Soddy Daisy or Oolewah schools. How about you?
overtaxed

Orlando, FL

#16 Jun 6, 2007
The little bit of Chattanooga that i have seen is awesome. I love the downtown. How are the neighborhoods close to downtown? DOes it get worse in any direction heading away from the downtown,.. north, south east or west????
The crime rate seems high. Any areas with particularly hi-crime to aviod???
Cici

Mosheim, TN

#17 Jul 19, 2007
Maybe you aren't interested in hearing from me, but here goes. I'm a realtor. Hixson & Soddy Daisy (North of town), Signal Mountain (not all are out of price range (West of town), Ooltewah & Benton (East of Town) and Tiftonia (South of town)are some of my personal favorites. They are pretty, friendly and more like neighborhoods from my childhood!
Gunther

Birmingham, AL

#18 Jul 19, 2007
Am coming to Nooga a few Sundays from now to meet up with some old friends A reunion of sorts. We'll do the aquarium, of course, but would also like to hit the shops downtown and across the river in the arts district. Can anyone tell me if we'll be sorely disappointed by lots of stores being closed because it's a Sunday? Thanks!
Simon

Lynwood, CA

#19 Oct 19, 2007
Good to see rasism is alive and well in the old South...I'm so glad I got away from you backward-ass rednecks!
clifford wrote:
chatt..it depends on skin color...north off chatt,,,one of best areas left in usa....north ga..plenty of work..north of chatt lower living exp...chatt city schools black...county schools white....but over all ...a race friendy city...very little race issue....but changing rapildy due to mexican inflex...we have gangs forming...mexicans have brought drugs..rape..theft..to a new level...and started dog fighting and several other things not before seen in this area...and wages have been cut allmost in half..in past 10 years..
Simon

Lynwood, CA

#20 Oct 19, 2007
PLEASE STAY IN FL! I'm encouraging all of the single-minded bigots that I encounter to move there. It's a heinous place to begin with, and now, the rest of us will know where all of you are.
Ursula wrote:
Thanks for the info Clifford. Sucks about the illegals moving in, that's what I was hoping to get away from. I have lived in NM and now in FL so you can imagine how used to it I am at this point. I do have to say that when we visited a few months ago I took notice that the amount of illegals was way lower than what I am used to seeing. We also looked at Signal Mountain, but I thought the whole area was just beautiful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chattanooga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lake Winnie. Should I go strapped 22 hr Vanilla Vice 1
i still love you Jul 27 Eternal truth 2
Ditty (Feb '14) Jul 26 Ditty 4
You are your own fan Jul 25 Dancer 1
Review: Everclear Pool & Spa (May '11) Jul 25 Timar 49
News Channel 9 (Jan '13) Jul 24 albert 15
Messianic Jewish Fellowship (Nov '06) Jul 21 Sully81 111

Chattanooga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance