Ice Skating rinks in Chattanooga

Posted in the Chattanooga Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jean

Ringgold, GA

#1 Jan 1, 2009
Why are there no ice skating rinks in Chattanooga? Knoxville has two and we can't support one? I am tired of driving to Kennesaw and to take my kids skating, It would be nice to spend my money here instead.
Iceland

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Jan 2, 2009
Built it, ran it and closed it-no support.
Hixson

Chattanooga, TN

#3 Jan 2, 2009
I grew up skating at the Choo Choo ice skating rink. Just recently I've been thinking about the rink too-- and wishing there was an ice rink around here.

Iceland, are you saying you were the owner of the Choo Choo rink? Neat. Refresh my memory-- how many years was it open?

I would guess that Chattanooga is now in a place and time where it would and could support an ice rink once again!
Iceland

Chattanooga, TN

#4 Jan 2, 2009
Not owner. You are pushing my memory very hard but I think it was finished in 1979 or 80 and was openned for about 3 years, John was the manager of the rink and a gal from Atlanta, I believe was the pro. We also had a minor leage hockey team!

Chattanooga is a very finkle city regarding this type of venture be careful. The capital cost and the operating cost (power) are high, had some fun times on that ice!
Cassie

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jan 15, 2009
It would be lovely to have a rink in Chattanooga. I've been skating since I was tiny, and I've almost always lived somewhere that it wasn't a problem, until we moved to Dalton. Since then, I've skated maybe twice in four years. My family just can't go to Kennesaw often.
Whit

Tullahoma, TN

#6 Jan 27, 2009
I go to UTC and I am from Knoxville and just today was asking around to see if there was an ice rink here in Chattanooga...I can't believe ya'll don't have one? I worked at the newest one in Knoxville (The Icearium) for three years when it opened. I moved from Canada and figure skated competitively so I definitely consider that my recreational activity when I have free time. Where is Kennesaw from campus and is it worth my time to drive there?
iceland

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Jan 27, 2009
from my poor old memory , I believe this rink to be to competition specifications, good place.
jean

Ringgold, GA

#8 Jan 30, 2009
The rink in Kennesaw is called Iceforum and it is about 1 hour 15 minutes from Chattanooga. It is easy to get to and is worth the drive. I used to skate in California at a rink called Iceland in Paramount (home of the zamboni!). I really miss skating and would love to have a local rink. I think Chattanooga could support one now if it was advertised correctly and put in a accesible area, off I-75 near the mall.
paj

Goodlettsville, TN

#9 Mar 10, 2009
Does anyone remember who built Iceland? Or who the owners and investors were? I practiced there and skated there in the summers when the rinks in Huntsville and Nashville would close. I coach in Nashville now but all my family lives in Chattanooga. I'd love to see a rink built in Chattanooga. I'm sure Chattanooga could support one. We're the only major city in Tennessee without even one rink! If anyone has any ideas who to contact to even get started, I'd love to be involved!
jean

Ringgold, GA

#10 Mar 11, 2009
You could contact the Chattanooga Figure Skating club, maybe they could give us some direction on how to get a rink here. I have written to the mayor but got no reply. I have even thought about contacting the paper and seeing if they could run a article on it. I am glad to see more people are interested in skating here!
paj

Memphis, TN

#11 Mar 12, 2009
Do you know who ran the Chattanooga Figure Skating Club? When I look on the UFSFS website at the club listings, there is no Chattanooga Figure Skating Club. Could be they just were independent and not USFSA affiliated. Thanks!
Lauralie

Richmond, KY

#12 Mar 12, 2009
I'm 14 and when I was 7 and 8 I ice skated in Eastgate and I loved it. I even took lessons there and went to 2 competitions, then Eastgate closed down. I was really upset.
A few months ago I went to Sugar Mont. with my youth group and they had an ice rink there. When I got on the ice I almost cried because of how much I missed the ice.
I think more than anything that we need one here.
William

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Mar 12, 2009
I used to live in Virginia, but for 3 years have lived in Taos, NM. We have a FREE public rink at the Youth and Family Center, Pee-Wee and Tyke hockey at all levels, and HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY - Taos Ice Tigers - STATE CHAMPS 2008-2009 - all in a town of about 6000 people and county (Taos County) population of about 35,000. We play schools in Los Alamos, Santa Fe and Albuquerque, the latter 135 miles to the south.

We are about 45 miles from the Colorado line, and do not interact with any Colorado schools.

How could this BE you are wondering? Through a generous gift from Taos' most famous citizen, Julia Roberts... the Y&FC also has a world-class Olympic pool with ozone water purification system!
jean

Ringgold, GA

#14 Mar 19, 2009
You have to google Chattanooga Figure Skating club and search for it, Topix won't let me post the address. They don't have a website.
paj

Memphis, TN

#15 Mar 24, 2009
Too bad Julia Roberts doesn't live in Chattanooga! How awesome that would be to have a rink built just like that!
Kim

Auburn, CA

#16 Mar 25, 2009
There use to be an ice skating rink in Chattanooga when I was growing up there. We use to go to the roller rink every Friday night and one night my dad decided to take us to the ice skating rink. Maybe it was temporary. I want to say this was probably around 1978.
Diane

Athens, GA

#17 May 26, 2009
I skated at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo rink in the mid 1980s, and now live in Atlanta. On one hand it was fantastic because there were very few people on the ice. On the other hand, without paying customers, it didn't appear to be a very viable business. Times have changed and the correct promotion of a rink would be helpful. I don't recall the names of the pros that were there at the time, a husband and wife team. They had really tried to get things going. The Chattanooga Figure Skating Club disbanded when the rink closed. It had been associated with the ISIA rather than the USFSA. I don't know if another group has formed; without the rink, many of the former members associated themselves with other clubs.
ElectricFlow

Gallatin, TN

#18 Jul 7, 2009
I just graduated college this year, and was looking at a job opening in the area. First thing i did was search for an ice rink :( . I am interested in the job, but don't want to be that far from an ice rink.
No ice rink in Chatt TN

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Sep 20, 2009
We just move to Chattanooga and can't believe there isn't an ice rink. Chattanooga seems to have a lot of out door things to do but not a lot of things for people with out door allergies. Skating is such a great sport for children. I am from up North and it was great to see so many teenagers ice skating all the time. I am still wondering what the teenagers do in Chattanooga if they have out door allergies. I wish there was a rink here, it is a great family activity. The ice rinks are packed up north all year long so I think if it is ran correctly it will do well. My daughter skated for at least 2 sessions Monday - Saturday all year round for 5 years. Parents put a lot of money into the ice rink. We spent between $20,000 - $30,000 per year on ice skating and there were other parents who spent a lot more than us. The summers were very busy at the ice rink since the kids could skate even more. It was a great place for kids to make friends and hang out. The teenager also worked at the ice rink. We miss having an ice rink so much. It makes me want to move to GA or back up north.
shelli

AOL

#20 Oct 9, 2009
My husband has gotten a great job offer in chattanooga, so the kids and I would be moving there after schools out and or we sell the house. We now live in western new york and our 12yr old son plays hockey and has since he was 4. I really hate the thought of him having to give up hockey because there are no rinks in chattanooga. what is the closest rinks. TN way or GA way. HELP concerned hockey mom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chattanooga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 16 Known Dead From Storms In Tennessee (Apr '11) 20 min Stray- Dog 28,849
Does Chattanooga have a Hispanic gang problem. Thu deportthebadones 1
some of our local SWINGERS who wish to remain a... (Feb '12) Thu Kinky 27
i hate black men but i love their thick big boo... Thu A Perm For BM 7
Mixed race playing the race card Feb 21 ThomasA 5
Chattanooga is the worst city in Tennessee (Sep '10) Feb 19 guest 52
There's a fix for that pain Feb 19 Father 1

Chattanooga Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance