Murder in Murray County
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
RESIDENT

United States

#1 Nov 25, 2012
Charles Oliver [email protected] m
An argument late Friday night left one Chatsworth man dead and three others charged in connection with his murder.

Murray County Sheriff Howard Ensley said several people had been drinking and playing pool at a house on White Oak Drive south of Spring Place off Ga. Highway 225 when an argument broke out.

“We still don’t know the specifics of what it was about,” he said.

Charles Milo Congden, 39, 746 Cherokee Road, left the house to walk home, according to Ensley. Dwane Louis Fowler, 36, 57 N. White Oak Drive, also went outside, where the argument resumed, Ensley said.

“That’s where Fowler stabbed Congden in the chest with a knife,” Ensley said.

Congden went to another house in the neighborhood and asked for help. Enlsey said the call to 911 came in around 11:30 p.m. Murray County EMS took Congden to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Ensley, detectives from the sheriff’s office and agents and crime scene technicians from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation spent the next several hours investigating the crime and interviewing witnesses.

Fowler was charged with felony murder on Saturday.

Randy Lee Campbell, 41, 57 N. White Oak Drive, and James Edward Patterson, 54, 259 N. White Oak Drive, have been charged with party to a crime.

Ensley said the two helped Fowler get rid of evidence allegedly used in the crime.
Just Wondering

Dalton, GA

#2 Nov 25, 2012
Such a shame this had to happen. It has been a while since we had a murder in Murray County. A tragic event that didn't have to happen.
DAN

Byron, GA

#3 Nov 26, 2012
Just some more average Murray County rocket scientist at work.
Buster Hymen

Dalton, GA

#4 Nov 26, 2012
Just Wondering wrote:
Such a shame this had to happen. It has been a while since we had a murder in Murray County. A tragic event that didn't have to happen.
I am suprised that their aren't more murders in this county. It's not that I want them to happen, but with all of the people who are out of work...they just have to much time on their hands.
Common Sense

Ringgold, GA

#5 Nov 26, 2012
DAN wrote:
Just some more average Murray County rocket scientist at work.
Of course Dan, another well thought out, researched response by yourself as is typical. Yes, things like this ONLY happen in Murray County, never in good old Dalton/Whitfield County. Uh, wait a minute, why does the name Sonny Neal come to mind??? And for some reason, when I think of Neal, I think May 2012? Can you tell me Dan, why does this name and date come to mind?
Doo

Canton, GA

#6 Nov 26, 2012
We need to open up a few more package stores around here and keep them stocked up. Then a lot more can make the News. Usually alcohol is involved in almost all killings and car wrecks. I think this alcohol should be banned everywhere along with tobacco. Just my opinion and I think I'm right. Both are totally useless dangerious things.
needless acts

Byron, GA

#7 Nov 26, 2012
I heard all three were on welfare, disability. This is where all of this needless free stuff will get you. They were dead beats.

“Roll Tide Roll!!”

Since: Nov 11

Chatsworth, GA

#8 Nov 26, 2012
Buster Hymen wrote:
<quoted text>I am suprised that their aren't more murders in this county. It's not that I want them to happen, but with all of the people who are out of work...they just have to much time on their hands.
Cool name haha
business as usual!

Manchester, GA

#9 Nov 26, 2012
Doo wrote:
We need to open up a few more package stores around here and keep them stocked up. Then a lot more can make the News. Usually alcohol is involved in almost all killings and car wrecks. I think this alcohol should be banned everywhere along with tobacco. Just my opinion and I think I'm right. Both are totally useless dangerious things.
Finally we agree on something!!!! Alcohol is useless and only leads to trouble.
Mediator

United States

#10 Nov 26, 2012
Do you have facts based on this statement?! Are you not innocent until proven guilty?! Regardless of this case, a life was lost you need to respect the families who are mourning awaiting answers!
needless acts wrote:
I heard all three were on welfare, disability. This is where all of this needless free stuff will get you. They were dead beats.
FriendOfAFriend

Dalton, GA

#11 Nov 26, 2012
I think the ones on here talking about welfare and disability are the ones that have too much times on their hands...Why get on here just to bash those involved, YES Dwane had NO RIGHT to play God or decide when Charlie's time was...But I happen to know that neither Randy or James we're on disability nor welfare! They have both worked for what they have especially Randy, he's worked his whole life for everything he has & all of this will be solved. I agree with Mediator on the respect of families, no one knows what actually happened besides Randy, James & Dwane. People are going to talk no matter what & will always think whatever they want to think & in no way will I ever take up for Dwane I have so much hate for him I could never explain it. All I ask is for people to have respect for the families that are suffering from some idiot thinking he has the right to play God and end someones life...That is all...
R U Blind or Just cant C

Dalton, GA

#12 Nov 27, 2012
i agree, respect for the ones whom care for these people, needs to be shown, obviously some people have never been taught any manners, nor adapted to just plain common sense in their lifetime. Unfortunately most of them wind up on here, such as, anyone that would name theirself buster hymen, and another "pawn" on down the line that would think that was a cool name, or needless acts with their needless ignorant remarks. What you all better remember is that "you reap what you sow" and have kindness for these people and their families in your heart, instead of the bitter, ugliness that shows when tragedy such as this strikes.

“Roll Tide Roll!!”

Since: Nov 11

Chatsworth, GA

#13 Nov 27, 2012
Cause someone had a funny name... I don't have any manners or common sense? At least I didn't kill anyone. Calling someone a pawn, which really is a disconnect in your whole rant there, isn't very good manners. A pawn of what, I ask. Of Mr. Hymen?
Sad

Palatka, FL

#14 Nov 27, 2012
RESIDENT wrote:
Charles Oliver [email protected] m
An argument late Friday night left one Chatsworth man dead and three others charged in connection with his murder.
Murray County Sheriff Howard Ensley said several people had been drinking and playing pool at a house on White Oak Drive south of Spring Place off Ga. Highway 225 when an argument broke out.
“We still don’t know the specifics of what it was about,” he said.
Charles Milo Congden, 39, 746 Cherokee Road, left the house to walk home, according to Ensley. Dwane Louis Fowler, 36, 57 N. White Oak Drive, also went outside, where the argument resumed, Ensley said.
“That’s where Fowler stabbed Congden in the chest with a knife,” Ensley said.
Congden went to another house in the neighborhood and asked for help. Enlsey said the call to 911 came in around 11:30 p.m. Murray County EMS took Congden to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Ensley, detectives from the sheriff’s office and agents and crime scene technicians from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation spent the next several hours investigating the crime and interviewing witnesses.
Fowler was charged with felony murder on Saturday.
Randy Lee Campbell, 41, 57 N. White Oak Drive, and James Edward Patterson, 54, 259 N. White Oak Drive, have been charged with party to a crime.
Ensley said the two helped Fowler get rid of evidence allegedly used in the crime.
so sad for the family, I hope they get some peace soon.
Rick

Lexington, TN

#15 Nov 27, 2012
I heard your stupid , people hear a lot of things don't they
FriendOfAFriend

Kingsport, TN

#16 Nov 27, 2012
I agree, you shouldn't believe everything you hear, but yes everyone is going to judge & talk it is human nature. Just wish people had more common courtesy to show some respect & let Charlie rest in piece & his family mourn in piece..There is very wrongful accusing in this situation, besides Dwane, who I believe deserves nothing but a death sentence for taking a life. He took a life from a man who was honestly changing his life & doing more for his son..& ruined the lives of 2 men who had no idea what was going on....Th charges have been lowered to tampering with evidence, meaning, they did not know Charlie had been killed..meaning they did not try & hide the evidence...Please, just keep in mind, innocent until proven guilty, besides that sorry p.o.s Dwane! I pray he rots in a cell!
Mediator

United States

#17 Nov 27, 2012
Point blank, an innocent life was taken! A son to a family mourning, a father to a family mourning! Lift these families in prayer instead of bashing! Respect is a key factor in life! Not everything you read in the tabloids is true, via internet as well!
FriendOfAFriend

Kingsport, TN

#18 Nov 27, 2012
Very much agreed Mediator.
butterfly65

Jasper, GA

#19 Nov 28, 2012
needless acts wrote:
I heard all three were on welfare, disability. This is where all of this needless free stuff will get you. They were dead beats.
I do not know where you get your info from but I know for a fact Randy is not a dead beat nor is he on welfare. He works every single day with a leg that he has had countless surgeries on and never once as asked for a dime from anybody. He takes care of his family and himself with a paycheck he earns every week. Maybe before you post things you know nothing about you need to check your facts.
FriendOfAFriend

Herndon, VA

#20 Nov 29, 2012
Thank you butterfly65! If you know what you say you do then I'm pretty sure I know you! But glad you're speaking out as well!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chatsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dupt 5 hr Freudian Slap 10
Tsunami at Carter's Lake!!!!! (Oct '14) 6 hr Josh 45
For Hire Sexy Decoy (Mar '14) Wed God is a bad ass 34
How about Murray County Department of Family an... (Jun '10) Mar 21 Billy Stanley 90
Inland Port (Oct '15) Mar 16 Concerned cannot ... 90
bad rental tenants / housemate warning Mar 12 thetimestheyareac... 4
Chatsworth Music Thread (Mar '14) Mar 9 Musikologist 26

Chatsworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chatsworth Mortgages