Honor or AP curve points count towards HOPE scholarship

Posted in the Chatsworth Forum

Worried Student

Chatsworth, GA

#1 Aug 25, 2009
Does ANYONE know if the honors or AP curve points count towards HOPE Scholarship. It seems noone can tell me for sure. Please let me know because if not, I'm going to change from all honors to barely any. I wouldn't have taken them all if I knew if they did when I signed up for classes. ONLY RESPOND IF YOU ARE 100% SURE!!!!
Out There

Dalton, GA

#2 Aug 25, 2009
Your final Academic Class grade is what counts - The system does not say you made a 93 and have 7 points as a curve. The system shows that your grade is 100. There are different levels of diplomas in most systems and I think Murray is the same way now. The one thing that Murray does not do is weight grades over 100 and other systems do. If you are planning on attending college then the AP and Honors Classes do make a difference.

Since: Aug 09

Dalton, GA

#3 Aug 25, 2009
If you take an AP class and pass the final exam with a 3 or higher then you'll earn college credits for passing the exam, which means you won't have to take that class in college unless you choose to do so.

I'll say this, English 1101 is about the same as 9th grade High School Honors. English 1102 is about the same as 10th + 11th grade honors classes. If you take honors English, you'll actually have an advantage in college as you've already read most of the required reading for the classes.

Hope scholarship is based entirely off your GPA, regardless of what type of class it is.

If you're taking honors, I highly recommend AP calculus. My experience with college math professors has always been bad.
Out There

Dalton, GA

#4 Aug 25, 2009
It is your GPA but only certain electives count in your HOPE GPA. There have been students that thought they were eligible because their electives and PE's were high grades and when they graduated they were not HOPE eligible. Check with your counselor and get a decisive answer on what classes count in your HOPE GPA. They should know the answer to this.
Mr T

Knoxville, TN

#5 Aug 25, 2009
The Smart Guy has it right. The more AP tests you can pass the better. Even if you only pass one (as I did, many many years ago), the time you'll open up for yourself in college will more than pay you back both financially and educationally for the hard work you invest in AP classes.
BUBBA

Dalton, GA

#6 Aug 26, 2009
TALK DIRECTLY WITH THE COLLEGE THAT YOUR CHILD IS PLANNING TO ATTEND. SOME WILL NOT ACCEPT AP OR IB SCORES EQUALLY. IT IS UP TO YOU TO FIGHT FOR THE CLASS CREDITS AT THAT SCHOOL. THEN HOPE WILL FOLLOW ACCORDINGLY
Jennifer

Chatsworth, GA

#7 Aug 26, 2009
Worried Student wrote:
Does ANYONE know if the honors or AP curve points count towards HOPE Scholarship. It seems noone can tell me for sure. Please let me know because if not, I'm going to change from all honors to barely any. I wouldn't have taken them all if I knew if they did when I signed up for classes. ONLY RESPOND IF YOU ARE 100% SURE!!!!
My child just graduated from MCHS and is an Honors student. It looks great to colleges and if you're in Honors & AP classes stay with it.
To answer your question the curve is NOT counted for HOPE.
Jennifer

Chatsworth, GA

#8 Aug 26, 2009
Worried Student
I am 100% sure on this.
Again don't give up your classes because of HOPE. Many colleges are willing to award academic scholarships if you don't qualify for HOPE but you have kept passing grades in your honors/AP classes.
Elwood

Redmond, WA

#9 Aug 27, 2009
Is it also true that you can convert your AP curve points into frequent flyer miles?
Orville

Redmond, WA

#10 Sep 2, 2009
I used my AP curve points on my Subway card.I'm that much closer to getting a free sandwich.
Macey

Milledgeville, GA

#11 Feb 4, 2012
It all depends on how your school inserts the grades. Our school puts them in so that we'll get to keep our Honor's points. I was worried at first because I had a lot of 92s which would turn into 89.
Ugastu

Ashburn, VA

#12 May 30, 2012
No your honors, ap, and IB extra points are removed. If that takes your a to b, b to c, or c to f then you add .5 to the gpa, but only for ap and IB classes. If the grade remains an a the. You have a 4 for that class and you don't get to add the .5. All of which is completely unfair we took harder classes and should get the points
Even

Ringgold, GA

#13 May 30, 2012
I see why Hope takes off all honors point and only adds a .5 for AP classes. Do understand some school systems award 3 points (.3 gpa) for honors and 5 points (.5 gpa) for AP classes. Or 0 points for honors and the 5 for AP. I really do believe Murray county should't have such high curves for the honors and AP classes. I believe a slight curve for honors and no more than 5-7 points for AP. The classes are not very strenuous anyways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chatsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cindy 4 hr dennisdidduffy 3
Chatsworth. 4 hr dennisdidduffy 6
teens taking cold pills called triple cs in cha... 4 hr dennisdidduffy 17
Kentucky heathens 4 hr dennisdidduffy 5
Unsettled Science 8 hr HaHaReally 60
henderson-garmley forum 17 hr brandon 73
Holly Creek vs First Baptist 20 hr well and 8

Chatsworth News Video

Chatsworth Dating
Find my Match