Fire guts Harwich Port Dairy Queen

There are 7 comments on the Cape Cod Times story from Jan 15, 2006, titled Fire guts Harwich Port Dairy Queen. In it, Cape Cod Times reports that:

A fierce blaze ripped through the Harwich Port Dairy Queen last night causing an estimated $500,000 in damage to the landmark building.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cape Cod Times.

Greg Caiola

Sicklerville, NJ

#1 Sep 18, 2006
As a vacationer in Harwichport and West Dennis for 49 yearsI was devastated to hear of the fire.

DQ has always been one of THE destination points on that portion of 28...much like the Lincoln Lodge was before it was sold years ago. I walked to it as a kid and brought my kids to it for years before the fire.

I hope they rebuild. Part of the charm of Harwichport will be lost if it becomes another cluster of over-priced homes.
Harwich DQ

Harwich, MA

#2 Jan 11, 2007
Hi,

My name is Kevin and for the past 3 years have been co-owner of said DQ. I found this site by searching about the Harwich Port fire on google and thought I should mention that we indeed intend to rebuild.

Unfortunately, due to many delays with the town, insurance and IDQ, we still haven't been able to strike ground yet. Demolition, however, was completed over a month ago.

Good news though! I have heard today from the builder (Northern Heritage Builders - Hyannis) that, if the town comes through today, new footings and foundation will be started tomorrow.(Jan 12, 2007). Opening slated for early June :)

Take care and see you this summer.
Harwich DQ

Harwich, MA

#3 Jan 11, 2007
Ps. If you have any questions/concerns about the Harwich Port Dairy Queen, please email me at: harwichdairyqueen@comcast.net
Anne

United States

#4 Feb 16, 2007
Great news about plans to re-build the Harwichport DQ!!!! I have summered in Harwichport for the past 35 years and my family and I were devastated at the loss. My father and mother used to take my sister and I there after dinner when we were just kids. It is as much of a small town fixture as Dr. Gravity's Kite Shop and Bonnatt's Bakery. Long live the Melt-A-Way and the Dairy Queen!
Greg Caiola

Sicklerville, NJ

#5 Mar 13, 2007
Great news Kevin. We'll see you in August.
Greg Caiola

Sicklerville, NJ

#6 Jun 20, 2007
I'd drive up today for a chocolate cone with sprinkles if i could get off work for 12 hours.
Chatham Chuck E

Ashford, CT

#7 Jun 25, 2007
Will visit this weekend when I'm on the cape.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chatham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can You Paint Ceramic Tile? Jan '15 Leachmark707 1
News Hyannis man charged with rape of teenager (Sep '14) Dec '14 The Girl 2
Ewww Dec '14 Shakira 1
Irish cyclist, in a coma since 2013 accident on... Dec '14 DianeR 1
town regeneration project (Aug '14) Aug '14 victoria 1
News North Adams Adding 100 Properties to... (May '14) May '14 Some Guy From Adams 7
News Habitat for Humanity raises walls for two house... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Aleta Azarian 1
More from around the web

Chatham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]