Tropical depression swirls off East C...

Tropical depression swirls off East Coast; expected to become t...

There are 23 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 31, 2007, titled Tropical depression swirls off East Coast; expected to become t.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A tropical depression gained speed early today off the East Coast between Bermuda and Massachusetts and was expected to briefly become a tropical storm.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
margaritanlime

Denver, CO

#24 Aug 1, 2007
Cinda wrote:
This really should have been a blog. I agree that page 1 headline is a bit much. I grew up in Florida and never saw so much hype about the weather. Weather conditions change all the time but over reporting can be dangerous too. I worked in a company that for several weeks straight we evacuated the building because of a bomb threats. Finally after so much evacuation the management decided not to evacuate. Over reporting can cause complacency if you are not careful.
If after the 2004-2005 hurricane season you don't recognize that storm season is here then you must be living on the moon.
When you bring up the Sentinel, you get links to many stories, many sections. If you don't like to read about what's going on in the tropics, don't click on the link, very simple.
There are stupid people here, who don't prepare, don't pay attention and when the storm comes, they are the ones crying because the govt isn't right there with their free ice and water. It's called teaching to the lowest.
Lake County

Saint Petersburg, FL

#25 Aug 1, 2007
to margaritanlime:

yes, a hurricane headed for CFL is something newsworthy. a tropical depression headed here is absolutely nothing to worry about, re: tropical storm/depression bonnie which hit august 12th, 2004. NOBODY seems to remember that one, and why? it was nothing to worry about, the news mentioned it in passing, well be getting some rain from what is tropical storm bonnie today.

Now were scaring everyone about tropical depressions 1500 miles away?

yes, i remember when CFL got hit with three hurricanes in 2004, its still no reason to go crazy over three inches of rain and 20 mph winds. its just another way to scare the crap out of us all.

life is alot more mundane and boring that the media would like you to think.
margaritanlime

Denver, CO

#26 Aug 1, 2007
Lake County wrote:
to margaritanlime:
yes, a hurricane headed for CFL is something newsworthy. a tropical depression headed here is absolutely nothing to worry about, re: tropical storm/depression bonnie which hit august 12th, 2004. NOBODY seems to remember that one, and why? it was nothing to worry about, the news mentioned it in passing, well be getting some rain from what is tropical storm bonnie today.
Now were scaring everyone about tropical depressions 1500 miles away?
yes, i remember when CFL got hit with three hurricanes in 2004, its still no reason to go crazy over three inches of rain and 20 mph winds. its just another way to scare the crap out of us all.
life is alot more mundane and boring that the media would like you to think.
No, there is no reason to go crazy, but there is nothing wrong with keeping people informed. I have not seen any newscast. or any article in this newspaper, since this season started where the weathermen were going crazy. I've seen "we are watching the system located at ...." . There is nothing wrong with reporting it's there. I've not seen anyone go crazy this year. Every forecast I've seen has stated "it's not bad, not near us but bears watching", what's wrong with that?

The reason, in my opinion, that it was like this in 2005 was because of the storms the year before, and that it was also a very active season. The same thing happened in So Fla the year after Andrew.

When it comes close to us, it's hyped, but most of us are intelligent enough to weed out the bull and take what we can use. The thing about hurricanes and tropical storms is that you can't know for sure what will happen. It can be just a rainstorm one day and all of a sudden it changes course, it gets stronger, etc. I'd much rather listen to the hype than not know. I lost my home in a hurricane, there wasn't anything I could have done to prevent that, but I pay attention now and listen. If they wait till it's too late, then everyone is screaming about that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chatham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama Tees Off on 1st Full Day of Martha's Vine... Aug 12 barefoot2626 49
News Beached Shark Gets a Life-Saving Tow Jul '15 flbadcatowner 4
News Hotel on North: Pittsfield's first boutique hot... Jun '15 cops are liars an... 3
News Can You Paint Ceramic Tile? (Jan '15) Jan '15 Leachmark707 1
News Hyannis man charged with rape of teenager (Sep '14) Dec '14 The Girl 2
Ewww (Dec '14) Dec '14 Shakira 1
Irish cyclist, in a coma since 2013 accident on... (Dec '14) Dec '14 DianeR 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chatham Mortgages