Tropical depression swirls off East C...

Tropical depression swirls off East Coast; expected to become t...

There are 23 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 31, 2007, titled Tropical depression swirls off East Coast; expected to become t.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A tropical depression gained speed early today off the East Coast between Bermuda and Massachusetts and was expected to briefly become a tropical storm.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
St Paul

Kissimmee, FL

#1 Jul 31, 2007
everybody flee, the storms are coming!
Fed Up

Oviedo, FL

#2 Jul 31, 2007
...on my way out !!! Hold the gates...
Whateva

Whitwell, TN

#3 Jul 31, 2007
Oh my goodness, stop the presses! It's headed into a large body of water! How long do you suppose it will be until we blame it on "global warming"?
frankie

Cape Coral, FL

#5 Jul 31, 2007
repent repent the end is near,what has man done!!!!!!!!!!
margaritanlime

Denver, CO

#6 Jul 31, 2007
Not one of you has ever lost your home to one of these have you?

This article does nothing more than report that there is a storm out there and luckily, LUCKILY, it isn't headed towards you.
adm

Clearwater, FL

#7 Jul 31, 2007
how embarrasing for the sentinel to put this as front page news story

Since: Nov 06

Chicago, IL

#8 Jul 31, 2007
Adm, we discussed for a while this morning whether we were being "alarmist." It's one reason we made sure text mentions not a threat. To me, the importance of storm forming is that it is (perhaps) an indication that the cycle of such storms has started for the summer, and could be sign of things to come. Guess we'll see. John Cutter, online news editor, OrlandoSentinel.com
Jake

Winter Springs, FL

#9 Jul 31, 2007
Funny how prior to the global warming hoopla, storms weren't named unless they had become a full-fledged tropical storm. In an effort to hide the overblown storm predictions of 2007, a new "category" of "sub-tropical" storms are now worthy of official naming. In the past it would have gained a number at best, not a name. Soon we'll have names for "storms" producing winds of 10mph and rains lasting 60 seconds or greater..........
margaritanlime

Denver, CO

#10 Jul 31, 2007
Jake wrote:
Funny how prior to the global warming hoopla, storms weren't named unless they had become a full-fledged tropical storm. In an effort to hide the overblown storm predictions of 2007, a new "category" of "sub-tropical" storms are now worthy of official naming. In the past it would have gained a number at best, not a name. Soon we'll have names for "storms" producing winds of 10mph and rains lasting 60 seconds or greater..........
This wasn't named until it became a full-fledged tropical storm. There are certain criteria that make them tropical, sub-tropical or extra-tropical. Instead of making fun, how bout learning about them. The knowledge may save you someday.
margaritanlime

Denver, CO

#11 Jul 31, 2007
John Cutter wrote:
Adm, we discussed for a while this morning whether we were being "alarmist." It's one reason we made sure text mentions not a threat. To me, the importance of storm forming is that it is (perhaps) an indication that the cycle of such storms has started for the summer, and could be sign of things to come. Guess we'll see. John Cutter, online news editor, OrlandoSentinel.com
Make no apologies, John. Some of us want to know these things. I never take them lightly, never will. I hope some of these bone heads who think it's a joke never find out what can really happen, like with a Cat 5.
bebe

Windermere, FL

#13 Jul 31, 2007
I need to get some food and batteries.

Chicago, IL

#14 Jul 31, 2007
margaritanlime: thanks. I will say some editors are disagreeing with our choice about play. It is one of the things about journalism, we don't all think alike, despite the stereotype. John Cutter, online news editor, OrlandoSentinel.com
Lake County

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15 Jul 31, 2007
come on, for 40 years nobody in orlando gave a crap about hurricanes. suddenly we get hit with a few and now a tropical storm in the north atlantic is the top headline.

where were the headlines when we got hit with tropical storm bonnie in 2004, one day before charlie hit? NO WHERE.

in 2005, we got hit with a tropical depression, the media would have made you believe you were better off committing suicide than live through a tropical depression.
Take it easy

Altamonte Springs, FL

#16 Jul 31, 2007
If you are wondering why this is news, look back to 2004. Charley did not go where it was supposed to go and people were caught off guard. This is a good reminder that now is the time to get ready for a storm - while this one is heading off somewhere else.

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 31, 2007
to Take it Easy: some have mentioned same thing about Charley, though this seems unlikely here. As you note, time to get ready. Also, to Lake County, I've lived in Florida in 1985, and worst storm for me was some no name storm when I lived in Pinellas. John Cutter/Online news editor/OrlandoSentinel.com
bebe

Windermere, FL

#18 Jul 31, 2007
I hope we get some action, nothing major, I just like the excitment ;-)
Cinda

Northbrook, IL

#19 Jul 31, 2007
This really should have been a blog. I agree that page 1 headline is a bit much. I grew up in Florida and never saw so much hype about the weather. Weather conditions change all the time but over reporting can be dangerous too. I worked in a company that for several weeks straight we evacuated the building because of a bomb threats. Finally after so much evacuation the management decided not to evacuate. Over reporting can cause complacency if you are not careful.

If after the 2004-2005 hurricane season you don't recognize that storm season is here then you must be living on the moon.

Chicago, IL

#20 Jul 31, 2007
Lots of rain now in Orlando...not (obviously!) from Chantal.
Lake County

Saint Petersburg, FL

#21 Jul 31, 2007
Hey John, do you remember back on 2005, there was a tropical storm coming through CFL, and govt offices closed, offices closed, and we got what we knew was coming all along: 3 inches of rain and maybe 20 mph winds. the media got so out of hand and overboard, it was nothing more than a rainy day. its ridiculous now. and its not just the paper either, the evening news has 6 weather updates, one every 10 minutes for crying out loud, and to top it off they run the weather on their promos: "TUNE IN AT 10 TO SEE WHAT I'M TRACKING IN THE TROPICS!" its obviously nothing to worry about if youre waiting til after I go to bed to tell me. its out of control.

5 years ago, a storm 1000 miles away would never have made the top headline in the paper, so why today? Is it that the sentinel is REALLY interested in reporting storms now because of whats passed, or is it just to sell more papers or get more hits?
margaritanlime

Denver, CO

#23 Aug 1, 2007
Lake County wrote:
Hey John, do you remember back on 2005, there was a tropical storm coming through CFL, and govt offices closed, offices closed, and we got what we knew was coming all along: 3 inches of rain and maybe 20 mph winds. the media got so out of hand and overboard, it was nothing more than a rainy day. its ridiculous now. and its not just the paper either, the evening news has 6 weather updates, one every 10 minutes for crying out loud, and to top it off they run the weather on their promos: "TUNE IN AT 10 TO SEE WHAT I'M TRACKING IN THE TROPICS!" its obviously nothing to worry about if youre waiting til after I go to bed to tell me. its out of control.
5 years ago, a storm 1000 miles away would never have made the top headline in the paper, so why today? Is it that the sentinel is REALLY interested in reporting storms now because of whats passed, or is it just to sell more papers or get more hits?
Do you remember back in 2004 when we got hit with 4 hurricanes and a tropical storm?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chatham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Where the Obamas, Trumps are vacationing new Aug '17 Red Crosse 44
Chatham dune buggy racing in the early '70s? (Oct '07) Apr '17 Mph 7
People who work at Stop & Shop here are stupid!! (Mar '17) Mar '17 Kathy 1
News Police: 2 runaway calves on the lam in Cape Cod... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Kathy 1
News Wolf considering Democratic run for governor in... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Kathy 1
News Orleans District Court (Aug '09) Nov '16 Q-Ball posse 23
News Man Paints Dog (Sep '16) Sep '16 Marley Honey 18

Chatham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chatham Mortgages