Moving to Chase City
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joanna

Rockaway Park, NY

#1 Apr 1, 2009
My husband and I are moving to Chase City in August. I'm a nurse and he's a farmer. How are the sports programs in the schools? Is there a problem with crime or drugs? Sometimes asking a forum will give you honest answers. We understand it is a sleepy community and that is what we are looking for.
voice of reason

Wicomico, VA

#2 Apr 1, 2009
Welcome to town. CC is a sleepy little town. I don't think they have any more problems than most places do. The sports programs are available, AA school and competes in the Southside District. I think you will find most folks to be friendly. Welcome!!!
Joanna

Rockaway Park, NY

#3 Apr 1, 2009
voice of reason wrote:
Welcome to town. CC is a sleepy little town. I don't think they have any more problems than most places do. The sports programs are available, AA school and competes in the Southside District. I think you will find most folks to be friendly. Welcome!!!
Thank you so much. True all places do have problems. The one thing I appreciate about small towns is the fact...most people know who the problems are. I'm glad to hear there are sports programs. I have four small children. My concern is their safety. I live in a large town and long to hear the sounds of crickets and birds. Nature at its finest.
formercc resident

Danville, VA

#4 Apr 1, 2009
why in the world are you moving to chase city?!?!
There is nothing to do there. I lived there.
Also farming is on the way out. Bluestone HS is ok,but the principal which is great is retiring, I think, hope you don't plan on going to Parkview, Ben Taylor is a jerk!
Good luck you are going to need it
voice of reason

Wicomico, VA

#5 Apr 1, 2009
Don't let former cc discourage you, he, or she, is always huge on negativity.... All gripe, no solution.....
Joanna

Rockaway Park, NY

#6 Apr 1, 2009
voice of reason wrote:
Don't let former cc discourage you, he, or she, is always huge on negativity.... All gripe, no solution.....
It doesn't. Farming will never be on the way out. It will always remain the backbone of America...not only for food but, now for biodiesel. Our farmers have become quite involved in international trade...exports and domestic.
I come from a long line of farmers...horse and cattle. It's a wonderful way of life. I'll take it over living in a city any day.
Joanna

Rockaway Park, NY

#7 Apr 1, 2009
formercc resident wrote:
why in the world are you moving to chase city?!?!
There is nothing to do there. I lived there.
Also farming is on the way out. Bluestone HS is ok,but the principal which is great is retiring, I think, hope you don't plan on going to Parkview, Ben Taylor is a jerk!
Good luck you are going to need it
Thank you for your input.
As far as nothing to do...I'll always find something to do. Whether it be my hobbies, taking care of my children, sight-seeing, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc. Life is what you make of it.
cc res

Boones Mill, VA

#8 Apr 2, 2009
Dont listen to formercc. I live in Chase City and raised a child in this town. If you have small children there is no better school in the county than Chase City Elem. Personable teachers and great principle. As far as high schools. Mr. Palmer might be great but he NEEDS to retire. Mr Taylor might be a jerk but he knows each and every name and child's face that graces his hall ways which is more than I can say for Palmer. Mr Palmer is burnt out, and former ccres likes to complain about EVERYTHING on here. He doesnt live here anymore so I dont know why he feels he has to bash the town like he does. If your kids love nature than this is the place to be. Most of the bad stuff happens in town.
countriboi

Corona Del Mar, CA

#9 Apr 2, 2009
Chase City is a great town!!! I was raised in Skipwith my self and used to hang out in Chase City. The towns people are very friendly but also snakes in the grass too. But nevertheless WELCOME and if you need anything go to Lil Whits place which is a great place to get your automobile work done.
Joanna

Rockaway Park, NY

#10 Apr 2, 2009
What type of crime happens in town? Is shopping okay during the day? And what are snakes in the grass? I'm coming down this weekend. We are in the process of buying a home and hoping to be in by August the latest.
countriboi

United States

#11 Apr 2, 2009
Oh yeah you can go shopping during the day. Everything is fine there not alot of crime,just your every city or small town stuff. No murders! You have your little knuckleheads running around being manish and a little wanna be drug dealers,but for the most part chief of police has got them little punks in check. Chase City has got the best in municple work. The Fire Dept.is thte best on that end of the county.And Cheif Jay Jordan of the police dept.knows everyone by name and is a good guy in uniform or not.He gets the upmost respect from the town and from me.
Joanna

Rockaway Park, NY

#12 Apr 2, 2009
countriboi wrote:
Oh yeah you can go shopping during the day. Everything is fine there not alot of crime,just your every city or small town stuff. No murders! You have your little knuckleheads running around being manish and a little wanna be drug dealers,but for the most part chief of police has got them little punks in check. Chase City has got the best in municple work. The Fire Dept.is thte best on that end of the county.And Cheif Jay Jordan of the police dept.knows everyone by name and is a good guy in uniform or not.He gets the upmost respect from the town and from me.
Thank you. That's such a relief to hear. It's nice the chief knows the residents. I'm looking forward to my visit this week and will soon be a resident also.
chasecityrez

Mathews, VA

#13 Apr 2, 2009
I can only repeat what countriboi has already said. The snakes in the grass he referred to are the folks who are disgruntled and seem to gripe and snip at anything that doesn't siut them. No more or less that snakes from any town or city. If you've read these blogs you'll already have spotted a few that hide behind the blog names. By the way, my real name is Charles Willis and I welcome you and your family to Chase City. There are a few places I'd like to mention that you might find useful since you're new to town. Moving is a pain and you might want to eat out rather than cook a time or two while moving. Del Ray's is a nice family friendly, 50's style restaurant. Good food, fair prices. It's located on the south end of Main Street. Lois's Kitchen is also a nice place with fair prices. It's located about a mile out of town on West Second Street (aka Barnes Junction road) just up the road from on the left, from Newcomb-Allgood Funeral Home. If you want to buy a few house warming items, flags, decorations, there's a really nice gift shop on Main Street called Lady Bug Junction. The owners are really great folks and Mr. Caknipe is a local historian. When you talk to him about the history of CC it's almost like he has been here for over a hundred years. Really good folks! I could go on, but you'll find out when you get here. And again, Welcome
Joanna

Rockaway Park, NY

#14 Apr 3, 2009
chasecityrez wrote:
I can only repeat what countriboi has already said. The snakes in the grass he referred to are the folks who are disgruntled and seem to gripe and snip at anything that doesn't siut them. No more or less that snakes from any town or city. If you've read these blogs you'll already have spotted a few that hide behind the blog names. By the way, my real name is Charles Willis and I welcome you and your family to Chase City. There are a few places I'd like to mention that you might find useful since you're new to town. Moving is a pain and you might want to eat out rather than cook a time or two while moving. Del Ray's is a nice family friendly, 50's style restaurant. Good food, fair prices. It's located on the south end of Main Street. Lois's Kitchen is also a nice place with fair prices. It's located about a mile out of town on West Second Street (aka Barnes Junction road) just up the road from on the left, from Newcomb-Allgood Funeral Home. If you want to buy a few house warming items, flags, decorations, there's a really nice gift shop on Main Street called Lady Bug Junction. The owners are really great folks and Mr. Caknipe is a local historian. When you talk to him about the history of CC it's almost like he has been here for over a hundred years. Really good folks! I could go on, but you'll find out when you get here. And again, Welcome
Thank you Mr. Charles Willis. We are leaving tomorrow night and will be staying for the week. I've written down the name of the restaurants you've suggested. It sounds like a cozy town and friendly people. We will be returning next Friday April 10th. I hope to be an asset to the community. I'll report back upon my return.

Since: Apr 09

Tappahannock, VA

#15 Apr 9, 2009
Hi and welcome! I moved from New York. And I made some really good friends in Chase City. I heard the schools are pretty good. I don't live in town so I really don't know what is going on except for what I hear. I think we have a drug problem wherever we live and should try to clean it up or just deal with it the best we can. Living in a City and then moving to a small town is hard. I find that people I never met know me. But I lived in a small town in upstate NY so I am used to that. I spend alot of time with my horses which keeps me pretty busy. And I keep busy in general. The best thing to do if possible is to come to Chase City and check it out for yourself. And you decide if you want to live here or not. Talk to the folks and go check out the schools, buy the local papers and walk into the stores and talk to different people in town and then you decide if this is where you want to live. Best of luck!!!
justcheckingin

Wicomico, VA

#16 Apr 11, 2009
Hello there. Welcome to Chase City! Hope you will like it here. So you area nurse. LPN or RN? We have two doctors offices here in town but hard to get a job these because they nurses just don't leave. Also a long term care facility just outside the town limits. I here it is very nice working atmosphere. A hospital is in South Hill about 22 miles away along with offices and long term care as well as South Boston about 32 miles away. You won't have any trouble getting a job once you get here. Hope to meet you in person once you get moved in!
formerccresident

Danville, VA

#17 Apr 23, 2009
The reason we left is there was nothing to do, no culture, shows, movies etc. If you wanted to go to a decent club you had to drive to RDU area. There is nothing in South Boston either. We got tired of all the small town nosey busy bodies and small town politics and we grew up here. I hope it works out for you and there are some nice people, but some of these nice people will talk about you like a dog behind your back. Just read some of the other posts on here.
Ann

Bay Shore, NY

#18 Dec 29, 2009
Hello Joanna -
My husband and I are considering a move to Chase City and we were just wondering what made you decide on Chase City as a good place to live. We are also from New York
thanks
doobii

Danville, VA

#19 Dec 30, 2009
hey...no worries! i moved here from brooklyn (clinton hill) three years ago and havent had any desire to look back. i also went to bluestone high school and it was pretty cool. come on and enjoy!
Beenthere

Angier, NC

#20 Apr 12, 2010
bluestone lets kids slip through the cracks easily. Drugs are all over the town..mainly crack. Marijuana is there but thats not as "bad". Gotta keep a close eye on your kid if they hang out in the town when they get older. Nothing to do in the area...no jobs. So drinking and drugs are the favorite pasttimes for the high school kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chase City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Feb '16) Feb '16 Patient X 1
Kelly (Peade,Puckett ) Culpepper (Sep '15) Sep '15 pops 1
where do i go to get a free background check? (Nov '13) Feb '15 Monique 3
How do you look up someone's Work History? (Dec '13) Dec '13 voxovalorehy 2
men (Mar '13) Mar '13 goo goo girl 1
Mecklenburg County School Board (Mar '13) Mar '13 Judy Lewis 2
Only in Mecklenburg County (Jan '13) Jan '13 WhoReallyCares 1

Chase City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance