Death of a Community
Orig Rez

Winchester, VA

#1 Jan 18, 2008
When i was just a kid growing up in Chase City this was an idyllic community. On Friday nights my dad would give me and my brother a couple of bucks each and we would walk to the Mecca. We could pay to get in, get a soda and some popcorn and catch the latest movie. After that we'd walk home with a group of friends all our own age and no one worried about our safety. Those days are long gone.

Back then if I needed school supplies or wanted to get a matchbox car or maybe even a Whoopie Cushion I could drop into Dick's Dime store. When I needed new shoes or jeans or a new shirt my mom would take us to Leggets or the Men's Department Store. There was a store in every store front on main street.

All my parent's friends worked at Jonbil or Craddock and Terry or the Shirt Factory or over in Clarksville at Burlington. Others worked for the state or the county or the town. People had jobs and they had places to spend their money locally. All that began to die in the late 80's and NAFTA effectively killed what remained. What you transplants don't see is the once bustling, thriving community that we that grew up here knew and loved.

Who can we blame for the demise of our once dear town. We aren't the only ones hurting. Just cross the state line and see what Oxford and Henderson and a thousand other small communities are going through as well.

I don't have the answers but I do know that if any company has any desire to locate here and employee locals then we should be open to the offer. We should give them tax incentives and utility incentives and strive to welcome all with open arms. I dream of a day when I can walk down main street in Chase City and actually shop again. I'd LOVE for our kids to be able to go see a movie without having to drive at least 30 miles to get to a theater that was outdated 15 years ago.

I don't have the answers but I wish I did. We have (aside from the current drought) some of the best water in the south east. Why couldn't a Brewery or Soda factory set up an operation here? Why shouldn't Chase City have a state of the art Web site that promotes our community...a community of hard working smart citizens willing to learn new trades and promote a renaissance in the quality of life that Chase City used to be known for....

Peace
keeping the peace

Mount Pleasant, SC

#2 Jun 25, 2011
maybe we should model ourselves after Southg Hill?

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3 Aug 15, 2011
keeping the peace wrote:
maybe we should model ourselves after Southg Hill?
Maybe you should open a small business instead of sitting around in a clump?
ccbizowner

Phenix, VA

#4 Oct 17, 2011
Beware, there is a penalty for opening a business in cc. You get doubled taxed for your first year of revenue, and not because it is written in the town ordinance. Actually, what folks need to do is take up residence in the store fronts, afterall Mr. Reese is kind enough to turn his head and let them use the business parking for their residential parking lot, and even park on the street for months end to end with for sale signs on the car. And this is what our city tax dollars pay for, a town manager that won't do anything, even when approached by the CoP. My fear is that I may not get anywhere with the town council either. If they let the manager continue to draw from the piggy bank that is fraudulently funded, they must be head-turners too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chase City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
James "Don" Harris Nov '17 Billy 1
where do i go to get a free background check? (Nov '13) Mar '17 Lynn 4
Virginia Medicaid Expansion (Feb '16) Feb '16 Patient X 1
Kelly (Peade,Puckett ) Culpepper (Sep '15) Sep '15 pops 1
men (Mar '13) Mar '13 goo goo girl 1
Mecklenburg County School Board (Mar '13) Mar '13 Judy Lewis 2
Only in Mecklenburg County (Jan '13) Jan '13 WhoReallyCares 1

Chase City Jobs

Personal Finance

Chase City Mortgages