Since: Aug 07

Chase City, Va

#21 Oct 15, 2007
Well, I finally met someone who left me completely speechless. It was an APMer who came by our booth on Saturday. Before I could even get Hello out of my mouth good I was all but verbally assaulted. I kind of laughed it off until he snarled WHATCHA GONNA DO IF THEY REMOVE THE SUBSIDIES FROM ETHANOL??? I spoke back in a calm voice "what will you do if they take them off petroleum"? He snarled "THERE"S NO SUBSIDIES ON PETROLEUM!!!!!!!!!! His wife then drug him off apologizing for hs behavior. For the first time since all this started I was left shocked, amazed, and speechless. This was a wake up call to me. It's easy to rationalize with people who are ignorant of facts, but you can't change stupid! And that my friends is just plain stupidity. To think there aren't supports, tax credits and subsidies on "Big Oil". Some basic math here. As off 7:52AM crude oil is going at $84.00 a barrell. A barrell is 33 gallons. We pay nearly $2.69 for regular at the pump. So $2.69 X 33gal =$88.77 per barrell. OK, so now we know, according to Mr. Stupid, the oil company is making a whopping $4.77 per barrell before shipping from over seas, refining, reselling to distributors, before the distributor making his cut, before delivery to a station, before the station making a cut. Not to mention sharing profits with stockholders and a ton of other things I don't have time nor inclination to write. A much simpler question I wish I'd been clever enough to ask is Why does the U.S. pay less than 3 per gallon and the rest of the world pay between $5.00 and $6.00 per gallon? Oh well, I've always heard stupidity is blissfull, He's blissfull. I'm still shocked that people actually think like Mr. Stupid. That's part of what CCP is up against.

Chase City, Va

#22 Oct 15, 2007
On a much lighter note I met with a few of the APMers during the fair. I had some really nice and cordial conversations with them. Once all the dust is settled I think we can all get together and start doing something positive together. I'd like to start off with maybe a crash course in basic world affairs and finance maybe for the slow ones like Mr. Stupid. Aside from that I think we can find some common ground. The fair experience was good, I think, for both orginizations.

Since: Jul 07

Dillwyn, VA

#23 Oct 15, 2007
I also witnessed this event at the both. Wile i dont entirely agree with calling someone Mr. Stupid I will go so far as to state that this is a prime example of a small group of people that are trying to make a point yet they do not have most of thier facts. I will also point out that the person in question called chasecityrez stupid to his face. While this is not a justification I do understand ccrez's position. How do you inform people on the issues yet you dont know that there are substities or tax breaks on big oil. I care not to get into a he siad she said as i have tried not to this whole time. But agian this is something worth mentioning. We do not want pepole to agree with us. THAT IS NOT THE POINT. We want you to have the facts. Visit our site www.ccprogress.com and thier site www.preservemecklenburg.com . Decide for yourself. Also pay close attention to the APM's disclaimer on thier site. Se what you think about it and how they can make such a disclaimer. Personally i am like everyone else in this area. I am TIRED OF THIS CLOSE MINDED NAME CALLING BULLS***. If you can not be educated enough to make you point and have all the facts to back it then dont make it at all. AND DONT RESORT TO NAME CALLING. WHAT are we still in SECOND GRADE. STOP ACTING LIKE IT!!! I also noticed that in typical fashion that the stories change as to why the plant has such opposition. First we hear trucks trucks trucks. Then we hear the trains. Then we hear about the danger to the lake but some of them would be ok if it was in clarksville closer to the lake. Namely around the Burlington plant. How can you be worried about the lake and be 6 miles from it but be ok with it only 1000 feet away!! Answer you ask, tell the people what they want to hear! Now we hear its not the plant but the location. While i will agree it is not the best location there is no other that has the Rail, gas line and access to the roads that they need. Plus there isnt one close enough to chase city to do it any good. Then they try to say that it will only bring 10 jobs. PROVE IT THEN! 65 jobs is what they filled. WE NEED JOBS unless you all want to move to china. THere is an aboundance of them over there for $2.00 a day. What are we going to do when we dont have anything over here and we rely soley on china. THIS IS BASIC ECCONOMICS FOLKS! Most of the people in this organization have made thier money. They are ready to retire. They dont need business anymore. Yet the ones of us like myself that are in the late 20's that want business need not worry about it. We will have a bunch of retired people that we can take care of. Im bouncing with JOY! And they wonder why thier kids dont want to stay around here with the family.

If Ethanol was so dangerous why have you been burning it in your car for at least 5 years. If it smelled so bad how do people work at these plants and not have to be medivaced out.Why hasnt OSHA shut them down? These are the real questions to be asking.
Or a side note, I fell for the ones that are with in 1/2 mile of this plant. To them i say i understand your postion completely and would not challenge you on it. BUt also understand that the needs of the many out wiegh the needs of the few. You property is yours and defend it. But the county is all of ours and it needs industry and jobs. We will deffend that to the bitter end just like you. As i siad to some of you. We need to come together and get our officials to help improve or industrial parks. Get the rail, gas and electrical service to them that will attract the industry. Right now thier is nothing there to attract them. But i bet once this is all said and done you will fade away after the OSAGE plant is settled. Then the time will come again for a new industry and you again will do this all over again. Dont like what i just said. THEN PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!!!!!
frank the tank

United States

#24 Oct 28, 2007
ethenol is so sweet going. i love the way it taste on my lips"""

Dillwyn, VA

#25 Oct 28, 2007
?????? can we say wierdo? leave this crazy BS in the sherrif topic that you all have put crap like this in and destroyed. Are a bunch of high school kids that have no life and nothing better to do with it? This is for grown adults that can act as such. If you can contribute mature conversation then we welcome it. But if this is you and the best you can discuss then please spare all of us!!!!!!!

Since: Sep 07

United States

#26 Oct 28, 2007
Not the best time to stop taking your meds...

Good luck in the contest Old Man, hope you score!
frank the tank wrote:
ethenol is so sweet going. i love the way it taste on my lips"""
frank the tank

United States

#27 Oct 29, 2007
maybe the the new plant will blow-up"""
Stephen Hatcher Jr

Fort Mitchell, VA

#28 Oct 29, 2007
i have said it before and ill repeate it. "You can help ignorance but you just cant educate stupidity!" SORRY.

United States

#29 Oct 29, 2007
Like the "eco-friendly" bark plant that burned 3 times a year like clockwork?

Now they closed so who else is left to employ anyone who wants to work, unlike FTT who must be independently wealthy?

EDS actually has to import their required talent since the County has little in the way of technical or information technology resources (people). It is a dman shame that you can't even build broadband into the County since the officials seem to think that it is not a requirement for quality of life...

Just keep cutting trees, subdividing 100s of acres & placing trailers everywhere. The "problem" of unemployment & government overspending will fix themselves right?

How ignorant can people be? FTT proves quite a bit more than your imagination can stretch!
frank the tank wrote:
maybe the the new plant will blow-up"""

Dillwyn, VA

#30 Oct 29, 2007
well said BB4A. WELL SAID
frank the tank

United States

#31 Oct 30, 2007
Stephen Hatcher Jr wrote:
i have said it before and ill repeate it. "You can help ignorance but you just cant educate stupidity!" SORRY.
please tell me that you made that up'' that has got to be the dummest saying in history"""

Chase City, Va

#32 Oct 30, 2007
I agree with Stephen Hatcher,Jr tanked frank. It's true, you can help ignorance but you can't educate stupidity and the fact you may not understand the saying says scores.
Stephen Hatcher Jr

Fort Mitchell, VA

#33 Oct 30, 2007
cant be any dumber than "ethenol is so sweet going. i love the way it taste on my lips""" . Please tell me that you have at least an IQ. This is my last corrispondence with you. I will not waste my time on such ignorance. Go find a post that will listen to this crap and have a coke, a smile and a nice day!!!!
frank the tank

United States

#34 Oct 30, 2007
Stephen Hatcher Jr wrote:
cant be any dumber than "ethenol is so sweet going. i love the way it taste on my lips""" . Please tell me that you have at least an IQ. This is my last corrispondence with you. I will not waste my time on such ignorance. Go find a post that will listen to this crap and have a coke, a smile and a nice day!!!!
you promise"""

United States

#35 Oct 31, 2007
I think you have to have about a 45 IQ to breath so unless Yank the Crank is a robot, he likely does have a minimal IQ.

However, even an inanimate machine would make more sense...
native livivng in raleigh

United States

#37 Oct 31, 2007
national geographic aug. issue read it its about ethanol and the effects on local enviroment.but i guess the people from the magizine are conspiring against chase city to right? you are all a bunch of idiots"""have a nice day""'

United States

#38 Oct 31, 2007
What affects? Care to elaborate? Help us see the error of our ways, as you get a magazine once a month & many of us have researched the subject a bit more than once a month.

Besides, it is not like I can jump in my truck & get a copy of NG at a news stand anywhere around here...

Not like NG has any hidden agenda, i.e. enviro-muffanage, right?
native livivng in raleigh wrote:
national geographic aug. issue read it its about ethanol and the effects on local enviroment.but i guess the people from the magizine are conspiring against chase city to right? you are all a bunch of idiots"""have a nice day""'
native living in raleigh

Durham, NC

#39 Oct 31, 2007
broadband4all wrote:
What affects? Care to elaborate? Help us see the error of our ways, as you get a magazine once a month & many of us have researched the subject a bit more than once a month.
Besides, it is not like I can jump in my truck & get a copy of NG at a news stand anywhere around here...
Not like NG has any hidden agenda, i.e. enviro-muffanage, right?
<quoted text>
ethanol delivers 30 percent fewer miles a gallon than gasoline. since the us has no major pipelines for ethanol,transportation by truck,rail,or barge drives up the price.most ethanol plants burn natural gas or,increasingly,coal to create the steam that drives the distillation.the amount of fossil energy used to make ethanol versus the energy it produces suggest that ethanol is a losers game.should i go on?

Dillwyn, VA

#40 Oct 31, 2007
actually you should go on. Obviously you have only read the con side of the issue. Perhaps you should read all the studies. They actually go both ways. No matter how you cut we need to do something. At $94.00 per barrel for oil at todays closing you do the math. Besides there is also the jobs that it will bring and the increased tax base. If it isnt here it will be somewhere else and they get the taxes not us. 2.4 Million in saleries is not something to laugh at around here. 174 million in construction cost contributes to. What this boils down to mainly is "not in my back yard". Well sorry but your back yard does not pay for the schools. Your back yard does not provide jobs. Your back yard does not bring economic stability. Now the back yard thing isnt realy geared to you native living in raleigh. But hopefully you get my point.

Also your 30 percent reflect corn ethanol and you are entirely correct. But the new methods with barly and other crops such as switch grass is changing the equation. Then you go into celulosic
and it changes the equation even more. Here is a link to help you out as it seems you have not seen all the data http://genomicsgtl.energy.gov/biofuels/benefi...

http://www.ccprogress.com/index2.htm here are some more links to help you out as well and i will be adding more. So shall I go on.

I welcome your debate. It would be nice to have someone else to throw the ideas back and forth so please do not think i am looking down on you. I respect you opinion. I would love to hear more from you to continue this debate and who knows you may be able to provide me with something i have missed. At this point no one has been successfull. Maybe you can change that. Be like Christopher Columbus, take the chance and we will find out. Untill then i remain and look foward to hearing from you.
native living in raleigh

United States

#41 Nov 1, 2007
but we are not talking about barley or swith grass.this plant will be processsing "corn" that is what i have a problem with. it is not going to helpfull for the environment if we use "corn".if they say okay we are going to process other alternative plants then yes lets give it a chance.i understand the need for jobs,thats why i left mecklenbug county, but you cant justify harming the enviroment for future generations for a quick fix on a long term problem like unemployment.the local government has to say okay what else can we do to bring business to this area.but thats not going to happen until there is a new generation of locals running for the positions of town council,town manager,and mayor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chase City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where do i go to get a free background check? (Nov '13) Dec '13 Will 2
How do you look up someone's Work History? (Dec '13) Dec '13 voxovalorehy 2
Does anyone know a better downloading source th... (Dec '13) Dec '13 lamobusibev 2
men (Mar '13) Mar '13 goo goo girl 1
Mecklenburg County School Board (Mar '13) Mar '13 Judy Lewis 2
Only in Mecklenburg County (Jan '13) Jan '13 WhoReallyCares 1
Comcast availabilty in chase city (Jun '12) Jun '12 Jess 1
Chase City Dating
Find my Match

Chase City Jobs

Chase City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chase City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chase City

Personal Finance