Tax Dollars At Work: Cops Ordered to ...

Tax Dollars At Work: Cops Ordered to Visit 5-Year-Old Girl's Home to Collect Overdue Library Books

There are 3 comments on the bostinno.com story from Jan 4, 2012, titled Tax Dollars At Work: Cops Ordered to Visit 5-Year-Old Girl's Home to Collect Overdue Library Books . In it, bostinno.com reports that:

Tax Dollars At Work: Cops Ordered to Visit 5-Year-Old Girl's Home to Collect Overdue Library Books [Video] Hey folks, want to see your tax dollars at work? Our boys in blue were sent to the Charlton, MA home of 5-year-old Hailey Benoit to collect library two books that were several months overdue, reports CBS News .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at bostinno.com.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#1 Jan 4, 2012
Cherche la mère.
Justin

Richmond, VA

#2 Jan 4, 2012
[..We follow our standard procedure of phone calls and/or emails to remind patrons to return their materials. A bill is sent out once an item is overdue for a month. Sending out the police is a last resort effort to get back some of our most valuable items. The police visited 13 families whose outstanding balance totaled $2634.00 in library materials..]

I agree that sending police to collect library books is not necessary and a waste of tax payer money. However, if the folks ignore phone calls and hold the books for six months (like this family did), then I wouldn't blame the library for charging their credit card or dinging their credit report. That tends to get folks attention real quick.
Newt s Gimlet Rage

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jan 4, 2012
If the cops were to go out to make sure the people were not all dead or something it would sense. Otherwise, standard collection agencies...which can be less pleasant than inappropriate cops in some ways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
David Larochelle (Jun '07) Mar 10 Debbie 26
Review: Mr Response Electric Inc (Aug '09) Feb '17 LOCAL ELECTRICIAN 28
News State's largest landfill accused of fouling nei... Dec '16 MakeSouthbridgeYo... 1
News Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service... (Aug '13) Oct '16 Old vet too 8
George that was stationed in Ft Lajeune NC (Aug '14) Oct '16 Not me 2
News Hells Lounge proposed for Summer Street locatio... (Mar '10) Oct '16 Kevin Hegarty 61
News Table Hoppin': For Meiji Asian Cuisine owner, i... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Lisa Spooner 2

Charlton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlton Mortgages