UVA Police Reports Dead Body Found on Observatory Hill - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spo...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

University of Virginia police report a dead body was found Friday morning just before 8:00 at Observatory Hill on grounds.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of61
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
smart one

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

reality bites wrote:
Considering Cville and UVA are crime free areas its a wonder we even were made aware of this, suspicious or not.
hence the reason it is not being investigated.
UVA Worker

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

Mary Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a precious life, whether a student or not. And if you're a UVA worker, if it weren't for the students, would you even have a job?
Mary Lou, you mark my comment as "mean" because I think myself and my fellow workers should be just as valued as the students and deserve the same respect and concern that they get? You have a weird way of looking at things.
Neighbor Jane

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

A girl in my neighborhood is gone, the UVA police have been here all day. Her car is parked at home. They haven't told us anything. She is a UVA student. there has been no sign of Charlottesville police. The UVA police have been hanging around her house all day long looking up at the house and taking pictures of her car. They have only questioned (barely) the next-door neighbors and the neighbors directly across the street. We were told we were in no danger and that is the only information we have gotten. The neighbors that were questioned were asked if they knew a girl named Sara Marshall (sp?). We assume this is connected to the body found. My prayers are with anyone who knows her and is grieving right now.
Neighbor Jane

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

If these situations are connected, it wasn't a motorbike. There are no motorbikes on this street.
Neighbor Jane

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

smart one wrote:
<quoted text> hence the reason it is not being investigated.
I'm pretty sure this is connected to the girl on my block, UVA police were very much "investigating" all day. There were around six UVA personnel on my street on and off during the day and the investigation definitely started on UVA grounds.
Sunshine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

wtf wrote:
<quoted text>really?? and murder is a crime! you think if it as murder or suicide someone is thinking of the 'uva' law?
It's called sarcasm.
Fast

Harrisonburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

Lots of coons runnin round there at night
GETCHUSUM

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Judged:

Morgan's KILLER????
gump

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

Judged:

Fast wrote:
Lots of coons runnin round there at night
Coons!?! I'll send my momma up there, she'll chase em off with a broom!
Momsy

Stuart, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

wtf wrote:
<quoted text>really?? and murder is a crime! you think if it as murder or suicide someone is thinking of the 'uva' law?
Um, I think poster was being facetious. Kinda the same as a joke.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

Oh, thanks! Now I don't have to look it up.
O-Hill_regular

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

Judged:

I'm a regular on O-hill where I walk my dogs. Yesterday evening while walking my dogs, I ran into another neighbor who also walks his dogs up there. He had spoken to our third neighbor who found the body, seated on a bench. So, I can corroborate the story KCville offers. According to this third-hand account, the body was a mid-thirties female seated on a bench, with a plastic bag over her head.
It sounds like a suicide. My first thought was that it was a mountain bike (not a motorcycle) wreck - I walk up there frequently after dark, and run into plenty of bikers who are trying to ride using headlamps. I think the "not natural causes" phrasing in the press release was much more ominous sounding than it needed to be...while I very much (as a UVa employee) appreciate Chief Gibson's incident notifications, I think this was kind of alarmist sounding, even with his "no apparent threat" addendum.
Of course, I read that and didn't have a second thought about going up there - even after dark. I think it's completely safe up there - and leaving my guns at home. There have been gunshot incidents adjacent to O-Hill, but they've been behind St. Anne's and U-Heights (high density rental housing...go figure!). Those are, of course, not "gun free zones" so I guess gunshots are unsurprising. On the other hand, in the areas which are actually UVa property, not so many violent incidents. Such silliness about "gun free zones" from cowboy wannabees...kind of like internet tough guys.
This is very sad, and will cast a bit of a cloud on that lovely bench, placed there by some of the regulars, two of whom are now deceased (of natural causes) and have commemorative plaques on the bench. It is a very peaceful beautiful spot at least.
KCville

Scottsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

Judged:

UVA Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
KCville, you seem to know a bit more then most. I don't need or want details but you have any assurances for us night workers up here that we're safe?
I know the fellow who found the body. We're part of a group of regulars who walk our dogs on OHill daily or near-daily. In fact, only because of a last-minute change in schedule I wasn't up there myself then. Until the police release details I don't want to repeat anything specific that he shared. The general appearance of things strongly suggested that the person committed suicide (no gun involved). A couple of items found with the body point toward the likelihood that the death was planned, not a rash on-the-spot decision. It seems to have been an isolated incident and nothing that poses a danger to anyone. It's more sad than it is anything else.
bee

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

i know a lot of folks do bird watching up there early in the morning...wondered if anyone of them saw anything
virginia native

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

Judged:

way to go, 29. a " dead body?" does anyone edit this stuff?
Luv

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

Judged:

Rusty wrote:
<quoted text>
That or Murder...I do know a gun was not used b/c UVA is a gun free zone.
Really, employees not only have then in their cars some carry inside to work with them.
bee

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

any of the regular birders up there when the body was discovered?
CvilleGordo

Buena Vista, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

Judged:

UVA Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
KCville, you seem to know a bit more then most. I don't need or want details but you have any assurances for us night workers up here that we're safe?
Are you for real?

Yes, oh pathetic, clueless UVA worker-sheep; there are sharks in the ocean; and yes, there are indeed bad people in the world who want to harm you.

In fact, it would seem lately that there are actually people in the world who want to EAT you.

My advice to you: stay barricaded indoors for the rest of your life and have all your meals brought in by Domino's. Design a slot in the door for the pizzas to slide through. Write a book about your 150-lb weight gain in a couple years and get rich.
CvilleGordo

Buena Vista, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

Judged:

GETCHUSUM wrote:
Morgan's KILLER????
Yes, stupidity, drugs and alcohol could indeed have claimed another young female victim. You might be on to something.
cville

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

I like how the cops said "there is no threat to the community" when they say that Iam going be on my toes I walk around uva every morning around 6 or 6:30 going keep my cell phone close

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of61
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Charlottesville Forum right now

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Wed abe 1,349
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
Altria, Cville Businesses Against Proposed Ciga... Apr 10 Mugs mahone 1
Carlos Untied: Behind the Scenes at the Newsplex (Aug '10) Apr 5 truerer 2
student sues abc thugs Apr 2 civilliberty 4
Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) Mar 30 panhandler 133
Oakhill Market Breaking and Entering Suspect Ar... (Oct '11) Mar '14 Who are you to judge 28
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance