Governor: Virginia Homeless Rate Down...

Governor: Virginia Homeless Rate Down 8% - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 18 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 15, 2012, titled Governor: Virginia Homeless Rate Down 8% - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The rate of homelessness in Virginia has declined by eight percent since 2010. Gov. Bob McDonnell made the announcement Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

UVA fan

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Nov 15, 2012
This is encouraging news. The governor and the president have promoted programs that provide supportive housing, rapid-re-housing among others. But the job is not completed.
Families and individuals still face the possibility of losing shelter.
Kudos to this governor for pushing this.
thinking free

Richmond, VA

#2 Nov 15, 2012
An impossible statistic all things considered. Like our chamber of commerce stating that the housing maeket is rosy.
Really

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Nov 15, 2012
Anyone been on the downtown mall lately?
UVA fan

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Nov 15, 2012
thinking free wrote:
An impossible statistic all things considered. Like our chamber of commerce stating that the housing maeket is rosy.
I dont think that this has to do with the sale of housing. This has to do with keeping people in their homes or getting back into housing quickly. I was wondering why this was an impossible statistic?
UVA fan

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Nov 15, 2012
Really wrote:
Anyone been on the downtown mall lately?
Well if you really knew anything about the downtown mall you would know that some of those individuals are now in their own housing and paying for it. Also this statistic covers families as well, something that you dont see on the Dtwn Mall.
Dude

Marshall, VA

#6 Nov 15, 2012
Really wrote:
Anyone been on the downtown mall lately?
Well, that's the most scientific survey I've ever heard of. Today is colder than average, IT MUST BE AN ICE AGE COMING!!!!!
Slippy Slope

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Nov 15, 2012
I think it's funny that so many uninformed people make judgements on the homeless. It was found that a third of them are veterans from active wartime duties having PTSD, so a lot of these people fought to give you a voice. Not only that, a majority of the homeless have mental illness that they can't help. Although, strangly, it was the first thing Mcdonnell cut when the ressesion started begining with Western State. So, with mental health facility's being cut, and war veterans with crippling mental issues, I would love to know HOW the homelessness rate is going down and where they are sending these people. And when did republicans care about homelessness?
Really

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Nov 15, 2012
Nice. We give them housing at the end of the mall and then they hang out all day and bum money while we put a roof over their heads at night. What's the difference?
thinking free

Richmond, VA

#9 Nov 15, 2012
Slippy Slope wrote:
I think it's funny that so many uninformed people make judgements on the homeless. It was found that a third of them are veterans from active wartime duties having PTSD, so a lot of these people fought to give you a voice. Not only that, a majority of the homeless have mental illness that they can't help. Although, strangly, it was the first thing Mcdonnell cut when the ressesion started begining with Western State. So, with mental health facility's being cut, and war veterans with crippling mental issues, I would love to know HOW the homelessness rate is going down and where they are sending these people. And when did republicans care about homelessness?
With the exeption of WW2 vets there are no vets out there that foght to to give me anything. The fought and sacrificed their lives for the "company store".
Dude

Marshall, VA

#10 Nov 15, 2012
Slippy Slope wrote:
I think it's funny that so many uninformed people make judgements on the homeless. It was found that a third of them are veterans from active wartime duties having PTSD, so a lot of these people fought to give you a voice. Not only that, a majority of the homeless have mental illness that they can't help. Although, strangly, it was the first thing Mcdonnell cut when the ressesion started begining with Western State. So, with mental health facility's being cut, and war veterans with crippling mental issues, I would love to know HOW the homelessness rate is going down and where they are sending these people. And when did republicans care about homelessness?
It's true, liberal estimates is that 12:100 of US Americans are veterans. 1:4, or 25:100 homeless are veterans. It's an alarmingly disproportionate statistic. Also, veterans committed suicide at the rate of between 18.7 to 20.8 per 100,000, compared to other Americans, who did so at the rate of 8.9 per 100,000.
.
Next time you thank a homeless vet, remind the bum to get a job.
Dude

Marshall, VA

#11 Nov 15, 2012
thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>With the exeption of WW2 vets there are no vets out there that foght to to give me anything. The fought and sacrificed their lives for the "company store".
Sure, but that's not a debate for this thread. I acknowledge that we didn't fight for any liberties, but we volunteered, we put on the uniform, and we followed orders. It also is a disservice to those who idealistically was conned into sacrificing their lives "for the country store," in the name of liberty and security. It's also insulting to their buddies, shipmates, the families and friends that mourns their loss.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Nov 15, 2012
thinking free wrote:
An impossible statistic all things considered. Like our chamber of commerce stating that the housing maeket is rosy.
What? You're not going to blame this on Bush as well? Party Hack.
Slippy Slope

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Nov 15, 2012
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, but that's not a debate for this thread. I acknowledge that we didn't fight for any liberties, but we volunteered, we put on the uniform, and we followed orders. It also is a disservice to those who idealistically was conned into sacrificing their lives "for the country store," in the name of liberty and security. It's also insulting to their buddies, shipmates, the families and friends that mourns their loss.
Yeah, but most veterans I've met don't really understand the goverment wanting to "fix" these nations that obviously are corupt and deeply backwords in thinking. When, well, we have a very corupt and backwords thinking goverment that needs fixing. Corporate owned puppets are still in power, sorry dems. And it was the same on the other end, sorry repubs.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Nov 15, 2012
Slippy Slope wrote:
<quoted text>
Corporate owned puppets are still in power, sorry dems. And it was the same on the other end, sorry repubs.
then there's israel
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Nov 15, 2012
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, but that's not a debate for this thread. I acknowledge that we didn't fight for any liberties, but we volunteered, we put on the uniform, and we followed orders. It also is a disservice to those who idealistically was conned into sacrificing their lives "for the country store," in the name of liberty and security. It's also insulting to their buddies, shipmates, the families and friends that mourns their loss.
Off topic to be sure but hey, I like to get my licks in anywhere I can, nothing like stirring the muddy water, never fails to raise somebodies blood pressure. We lost 58,000 good souls for zip and the American people have still learned nothing, maybe instead of mourning they should ask questions.
Once Again

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Dec 20, 2012
You want to knock the people of being homeless. I quote, untill you been in those shoes. You need to understand what homlesssness. Educated youselves.
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Dec 20, 2012
Once Again wrote:
You want to knock the people of being homeless. I quote, untill you been in those shoes. You need to understand what homlesssness. Educated youselves.
I only knock people who stay in that rut. I wasn't always where I am today, but I used opportunities. I see the same tired faces on the street every day. The opportunities are still around, but the backpackers show up every day with their cardboard signs and their cigarettes. Some of them have no intention of getting back on their feet. I'm happy to help anyone who shows forward motion, but I have no sympathy for those who won't try.
thinking free

Richmond, VA

#18 Dec 20, 2012
Once Again wrote:
You want to knock the people of being homeless. I quote, untill you been in those shoes. You need to understand what homlesssness. Educated youselves.
Like a lot of issues its not so clear cut, but, there is a large percentage of the homeless who prefer to be that way, its a career for them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tutors in Fishersville Va Mon Ashbell 1
News Teen guilty of video charge (Sep '06) May 21 Kim P 2
Shenandoah Acres???? (Jun '06) May 11 BipolarBear 281
Regal Theatre Against Military May 11 Regal Against Mil... 1
News Goochland Animal Rescuer Charged with Animal Cr... (Apr '13) May 4 The Sock 5
john know Apr '15 mama bear 1
yall niggdddasd is fakkkddkkeee Apr '15 Rick James 2
More from around the web

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]