Albemarle Supervisor Dumler Pleads Guilty to Sexual Battery

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

An Albemarle County supervisor has pleaded guilty to sexual battery. Thursday, Chris Dumler entered into a plea agreement that will allow him to stay on the Board of Supervisors.
Comments
121 - 140 of 142 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2013
Go Army

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Officers are subject to the provisions of the Lautenberg Amendment like any other soldier. Officers may request release from active duty or submit an unqualified resignation under AR 600-8-24, Officer Transfers and Discharges.

However, his conviction (remember, he pleaded guilty) should result in the revocation of his security clearance. A quick reading of Army Regulation 600-8-24 (section 1-22) indicates that Dumler would likely get a discharge "Under Other Than Honorable Conditions" characterization of service (OTH).

The Army regulation can be found here: http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r600_8_24....
Whatever

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Petition the Circuit Cour wrote:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bi n/legp504.exe?000+cod+24.2-233
<quoted text>
Did you even read that? Dumler wasn't convicted of a drug charge, or a hate crime. That leaves "neglect of duty, misuse of office, or incompetence in the performance of duties when that neglect of duty, misuse of office, or incompetence in the performance of duties." If you want to see incompetence in the performance of duties, I suggest you take a careful look at Kenny Boyd. He shows up half drunk for half of the BOS meetings--isn't that neglect of duty? Was Dumler screwing these women while on company time? NOPE. So good luck with that petition buddy. The anti-Dumler crowd is this thread remarkable brainless. We've got people saying he's a rapist when he wasn't charged with rape. We've got people calling him a registered sex offender when he won't have to register as a sex offender. We've got people insisting he resign when he's under no obligation to do so. And now we've got a petition going to remove him from office under a statute that is totally inapplicable in this case. Don't let the facts get in the way of your personal opinions on the matter though--that's the true strength of the weak minded.
Lighten up Francis

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

If you haven't had a consensual sexual encounter that went a little wrong, then you haven't been living. Might be time for some of these posters to rethink their missionary-only lifestyles. Cheers!
ThinkHarder

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Since Sexually abusing and manipulating women in his district isn't an impediment to office, how about not showing up ever anywhere for any important public discussion for three months? He's already been neglecting his office and it's gonna get worse. If you don't like the petition, don't sign it.
Typical Politician

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Doug wrote:
He's actually a very good supervisor in my experience. Incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, always gets back to constituents right away, and fair. No one will ever know if he is truly guilty or innocent, so whatever you think says much more about YOU than it does about Mr. Dumler.
Politicians like to smile in your face and stick it in your ---
why

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Amanda wrote:
Dumbler was spotted last night - not 12 hours after his guilty plea - laughing and drinking beer at the Free Enterprise Forum event with other elected officers.
Word is there isn't a bar or restaurant that will serve Mr. "Drinking Liberally" (a group he belongs to, believe it or not) but he can still tip 'em in Charlottesville.
If I were Dumbler, I wouldn't be seen enjoying myself in public on the eve of my SEXUAL BATTERY CONVICTION -- let alone DRINKING, which seems to be the source of a lot of his problems.
What an arrogant idiot.
Chris is just like Drew Peterson he thinks he is above the law
next time it will be rape or even murder
Agnes

Callaway, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

ScottsvilleRes wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you aren't aware of how low one's income has to be in order to qualify for a court-appointed attorney - I suggest you research it. And though I suspect I know just about as much as you do of "Mr. Dumler's connections" (that is, nothing, really), I imagine a mid-20s pro bono attorney who moved here seven years ago and doesn't have family in the area isn't exactly schmoozing it up at the Boar's Head and Farmington to line the coffers of his legal defense fund.
So...are you unaware of who paid his bail? Of what that person's connections and loyalties are - what that person's assets are? His connections, to be perfectly clear, are those of the political party he represents in Central Virginia - at least until they decide to cut their losses and throw him under the bus as a lost cause - should they ever chose to do so. Also - lest you think I am not paying attention - you implied in your earlier post that he was a poor public servant who made a mere $12k in his position on the board and whose personal resources would be a mere pittance because of all of the charitable work he does. So either he is a model civil servant, impoverished by his own generosity, who would easily qualify for a court appointed attorney - or he has enough money to pay for one himself- or one of his connections could pay his attorney's fees for him. Let me drag this topic kicking and screaming back from the path it strayed down...if he was innocent, he should not have pled guilty. He is either guilty, or he lied by pleading guilty. Either way, again, he has no place in public office.
Agnes

Callaway, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even read that? Dumler wasn't convicted of a drug charge, or a hate crime. That leaves "neglect of duty, misuse of office, or incompetence in the performance of duties when that neglect of duty, misuse of office, or incompetence in the performance of duties." If you want to see incompetence in the performance of duties, I suggest you take a careful look at Kenny Boyd. He shows up half drunk for half of the BOS meetings--isn't that neglect of duty? Was Dumler screwing these women while on company time? NOPE. So good luck with that petition buddy. The anti-Dumler crowd is this thread remarkable brainless. We've got people saying he's a rapist when he wasn't charged with rape. We've got people calling him a registered sex offender when he won't have to register as a sex offender. We've got people insisting he resign when he's under no obligation to do so. And now we've got a petition going to remove him from office under a statute that is totally inapplicable in this case. Don't let the facts get in the way of your personal opinions on the matter though--that's the true strength of the weak minded.
Mr. Dumler pled guilty to sexual battery, which is defined in part in Va Code 18.2-67.4 as follows: "An accused is guilty of sexual battery if he sexually abuses, as defined in 18.2-67.10,(i) the complaining witness against the will of the complaining witness, by force, threat, intimidation, or ruse..." Rape is defined in Va Code 18.2-61 in part as follows: "If any person has sexual intercourse with a complaining witness, whether or not his or her spouse, or causes a complaining witness, whether or not his or her spouse, to engage in sexual intercourse with any other person and such act is accomplished (i) against the complaining witness's will, by force, threat or intimidation of or against the complaining witness or another person;..." You are parsing words, and you sound a bit hysterical in your rhetoric. People who choose to insult and belittle the opinions of others rather than engage in reasoned discourse often do so because their own position is, in fact, indefensible. I encourage you to step back for perspective and re-consider whose coat you are choosing to hold in this scuffle.
Disappointed

Greenbelt, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Not much else to say. He was getting some things done that will improve the lives of many. It's just sad that he allowed himself to be caught up in something like this. C'mon Chris.....we and you deserve better.
Whatever

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Agnes wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Dumler pled guilty to sexual battery, which is defined in part in Va Code 18.2-67.4 as follows: "An accused is guilty of sexual battery if he sexually abuses, as defined in 18.2-67.10,(i) the complaining witness against the will of the complaining witness, by force, threat, intimidation, or ruse..." Rape is defined in Va Code 18.2-61 in part as follows: "If any person has sexual intercourse with a complaining witness, whether or not his or her spouse, or causes a complaining witness, whether or not his or her spouse, to engage in sexual intercourse with any other person and such act is accomplished (i) against the complaining witness's will, by force, threat or intimidation of or against the complaining witness or another person;..." You are parsing words, and you sound a bit hysterical in your rhetoric. People who choose to insult and belittle the opinions of others rather than engage in reasoned discourse often do so because their own position is, in fact, indefensible. I encourage you to step back for perspective and re-consider whose coat you are choosing to hold in this scuffle.
Whatever dude. Don't lecture me about "parsing words" while you're selectively quoting two little bits and pieces of two purposely different statues and twice adding the caveat "defined IN PART." You don't get charged with "part" of a crime. You get charged with either the whole thing, or nothing. That's how it works. Like I said, don't let facts get in the way of your opinion. If the DA thought there were grounds to charge him with rape, Dumler would've been charged with rape. He wasn't charged with rape--and that's what we in the reality based community call a F.A.C.T. What in the effin world is so hard to understand about that? If you think he's a rapist, that's your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to. BUT, based on the FACTS of the case at hand, the state of VA--visa vis the professional cops, detectives, and prosecutors who are privy to much more information about this than either you or I--disagrees with you.
Allen Cole

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

30 days on weekends, and not registering as a sex offender though guilty of sexual battery?

And how do you proffer a public apology while maintaining your innocence?
ScottsvilleRes

Austinville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Agnes wrote:
<quoted text>
So...are you unaware of who paid his bail? Of what that person's connections and loyalties are - what that person's assets are? His connections, to be perfectly clear, are those of the political party he represents in Central Virginia - at least until they decide to cut their losses and throw him under the bus as a lost cause - should they ever chose to do so. Also - lest you think I am not paying attention - you implied in your earlier post that he was a poor public servant who made a mere $12k in his position on the board and whose personal resources would be a mere pittance because of all of the charitable work he does. So either he is a model civil servant, impoverished by his own generosity, who would easily qualify for a court appointed attorney - or he has enough money to pay for one himself- or one of his connections could pay his attorney's fees for him. Let me drag this topic kicking and screaming back from the path it strayed down...if he was innocent, he should not have pled guilty. He is either guilty, or he lied by pleading guilty. Either way, again, he has no place in public office.
It's fairly obvious you're not an attorney, and have no experience with or in the criminal justice system, so let me point you in the direction of a few studies and interesting blog posts that might enlighten you:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/When_...

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2007/09...

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judge-h-lee-sar...

Now, as I said earlier, I hope you're never in a position as unfortunate as the one the criminal justice system puts so many individuals in - having to put a price on what it's worth to clear your name, and realizing maybe you can't afford or aren't willing to pay that price.

Perhaps you should have brought whatever firsthand information you clearly think you have about the alleged crime to the prosecutor, and maybe he would have pushed forward with the felony. If, on the other hand, you weren't in the room and possess no such firsthand knowledge, I think it's reasonable to say that "being guilty" represents one of many reasons why he or anyone else would have chosen to take such an offer. I'm not saying he isn't guilty of forcible sodomy - just that your judgmental and conclusory attitude likely say more about your political persuasions than what happened between these two individuals.
Agnes

Callaway, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever dude. Don't lecture me about "parsing words" while you're selectively quoting two little bits and pieces of two purposely different statues and twice adding the caveat "defined IN PART." You don't get charged with "part" of a crime. You get charged with either the whole thing, or nothing. That's how it works. Like I said, don't let facts get in the way of your opinion. If the DA thought there were grounds to charge him with rape, Dumler would've been charged with rape. He wasn't charged with rape--and that's what we in the reality based community call a F.A.C.T. What in the effin world is so hard to understand about that? If you think he's a rapist, that's your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to. BUT, based on the FACTS of the case at hand, the state of VA--visa vis the professional cops, detectives, and prosecutors who are privy to much more information about this than either you or I--disagrees with you.
Hi Whatever. You have missed the fact that prosecuting attorneys will often take into consideration the wishes of the victim when offering plea bargains to offenders. It is entirely possible that the charges were lessened and the plea bargain was reached because it would be too painful or costly for the victim to go through the process. Victims of sexual assault are often maligned by defense attorneys and the media. Your assertion that the only reason the plea bargain was reached was because of a lack of evidence is flawed.
Agnes

Callaway, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

ScottsvilleRes wrote:
<quoted text>
It's fairly obvious you're not an attorney, and have no experience with or in the criminal justice system, so let me point you in the direction of a few studies and interesting blog posts that might enlighten you:
http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/When_...
http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2007/09...
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judge-h-lee-sar...
Now, as I said earlier, I hope you're never in a position as unfortunate as the one the criminal justice system puts so many individuals in - having to put a price on what it's worth to clear your name, and realizing maybe you can't afford or aren't willing to pay that price.

Perhaps you should have brought whatever firsthand information you clearly think you have about the alleged crime to the prosecutor, and maybe he would have pushed forward with the felony. If, on the other hand, you weren't in the room and possess no such firsthand knowledge, I think it's reasonable to say that "being guilty" represents one of many reasons why he or anyone else would have chosen to take such an offer. I'm not saying he isn't guilty of forcible sodomy - just that your judgmental and conclusory attitude likely say more about your political persuasions than what happened between these two individuals.
Hi Scottsville Res. No - no first hand evidence...just the same story that you read in the media, in which Mr. Dumler pled guilty to sexual battery. I quoted the statutes you mentioned "in part" because I didn't think you would be interested in reading the entire code - but please, feel free to do so - that is why I provided the references as well. I'm not an attorney, but I have worked for attorneys in the past, and have worked in D.C. translating proposed bills into common English. And this should have nothing to do with politics. I believe that people convicted of violent crimes should not hold public office. I don't think that is a wildly inappropriate or inflammatory position. He now stands convicted of sexual battery. How have I been judgmental? Do you believe it is judgmental to say someone convicted of a violent crime should not serve in public office? If that is too judgmental for you, then where do you personally draw the line? Or do you at all?
Dawn J

Ruckersville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

This is just plain crazy! I dont even know what to say about this. Basically they just let a sex offender free and walk to continue hds life. I just dont get it. This is why people do the stupid sh** they do these days b/c 95% of the time they get away with it.
Cvillian

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Is no one even a little bit outraged that the women of the Albemarle County Democratic Party are protecting this convicted sexual abuser? Cynthia Neff, the Vice Chair bailed him out with a $50,000 guarantee for his bail. The Chairman and the Secretary are both great liberal women and yet not one of these leaders has publicly admonished Dumler nor asked for his resignation! His girlfriend tried to bail him out at his first hearing but couldn't raise the money. She's an employee of Payne Ross advertising whose owner is Susan Payne, wife of L F Payne, former Congressman (D), and Mrs. Payne and her company was one of the largest contributors to Dumler's campaign ($2,350). As a Democratic activist, contributor, and fundraiser for Democratic candidates, why didn't she denounce his conviction? The Scottsville Magisterial District Chair and the Dumler's local Precinct Chair are both women, and all we hear is silence. How can women in Charlottesville/Albemarle feel protected against sexual battery or assault if their own women political leaders are protecting the abuser?
Cvillian

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

I meant to say, "denounce him upon his conviction."
mom of 3

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

So why is he still an Albemarle County Supervisor? Anyone else that has been convicted of a misdemeanor can't work for the county!! Sounds like a double standard to me!
Just Curious

Dillwyn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Common Sense wrote:
Attention simple minded self righteous Puritans! If a prosecutor accepts a plea of 30 days/misdemeanor from an individual charged with a 5 year minimum/felony, it is because the prosecutor knows that the case is unwinable.
Or because the victim wanted to be spared having her name in the press, being dragged through the mud, and putting her children through hell. Maybe she was willing to get a guilty conviction and mea culpa and get on with her life.
Just Curious

Dillwyn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

ScottsvilleRes wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you aren't aware of how low one's income has to be in order to qualify for a court-appointed attorney - I suggest you research it. And though I suspect I know just about as much as you do of "Mr. Dumler's connections" (that is, nothing, really), I imagine a mid-20s pro bono attorney who moved here seven years ago and doesn't have family in the area isn't exactly schmoozing it up at the Boar's Head and Farmington to line the coffers of his legal defense fund.
Cynthia Neff sure as hell put her house up for him no questions asked. It's idiotic to say he no connections willing to help him out with his defense?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Charlottesville Forum right now

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) 4 hr Jefferson Tea Party 135
Gov. McDonnell Says GOP Must Broaden its Base -... (Nov '12) Jul 27 swedenforever 74
UVA Medical Researchers Develop New Antibiotic Jul 25 samhan 1
Charlottesville is Happy Jul 22 Dick Hurtz 1
Review: Bellair Cleaning Services Jul 20 Harry Balls_n_Busta Nut 2
Albemarle seeks input on changing rules for rur... Jul 17 bulk 2
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••