Albemarle Supervisor Dumler Pleads Guilty to Sexual Battery

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

An Albemarle County supervisor has pleaded guilty to sexual battery. Thursday, Chris Dumler entered into a plea agreement that will allow him to stay on the Board of Supervisors.

Comments (Page 6)

Showing posts 101 - 120 of142
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Concerned Citizen

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Common Sense wrote:
Attention simple minded self righteous Puritans! If a prosecutor accepts a plea of 30 days/misdemeanor from an individual charged with a 5 year minimum/felony, it is because the prosecutor knows that the case is unwinable.
"Common Sense" It is more COMMON for some victims to agree to a plea because of a long drawn out trial having them living the crime over and over again. They would just like to get it over with. Not everyone is strong enough to take the mental strain. And this case could have gone on for two years, or longer with appeals. This may be the reason the other two cases were not taken to trial. Whatever, I think Dumler should resign. He has been an embarrassment to Scottsville and Albemarle County.
Concerned Citizen

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Cvillian wrote:
The Albemarle County Democratic Party should be ashamed of themselves for not pressuring this convicted sex offender to quit his position on the Board of Supervisors immediately! This man has already abused three women...which makes him a serial sex offender. Waiting years until his term of office is up is just a dishonor of the people who elected him. Furthermore, there is no "recall vote" in Virginia, meaning that he cannot be recalled. He would be removed if he admitted to a felony, but he did not, so he stays in office on a technicality. Only large numbers of outraged women showing up at the next BOS meeting will get any attention from our party leaders. Shame on you Chairman Valerie L’Herrou!
Shame on you Vice Chairman Cynthia Neff, you who bailed out this self-avowed and convicted sex offender.
Shame on you Secretary Diana Mead!
You are women who should standing up for women in our community, not protecting this sex offender. You are clearly out of integrity on this one, and you all should resign and let someone else run the party in Albemarle. I am sickened by this.
Cynthia Neff isn't worrying about Dumler right now. She's in her own HOT WATER awaiting her hearing this month (February) on a DUI arrest.
fluco citizen

Barboursville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

What about the victims? I have heard these charges were similar to others while he was in college. Two other people were willing to press charges. Heard multiple others were willing to testify the same had happened to them. Heard Dumler’s father is an attorney. Dumler is associated with the JAG School. Looks like he knew enough people to find the right loop holes to crawl through. Wonder why lawyers have such bad reputations? This is a prime example. Hats off to the victims who stepped forward. This took much courage. I am glad you stood up for yourself and possibly other victims both in the past and in the future. I pray that this will stop this abuse. As for the Scottsville citizens, this is not what our good people will condone. I don’t want this man around my family or our town.
Ridiculous

Lyndhurst, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

I am not in the Scottsville area, but I AM in Alb County and I can't BELIEVE he did not step down. He is an embarrassment in my opinion, and it sickens me to think that we don't hold politicians "on many levels" accountable for their actions. I wouldn't have to wait for the next election if I was Dumler to know when I need to go. It's a disgrace that he is representing Albemarle County!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Ridiculous wrote:
I am not in the Scottsville area, but I AM in Alb County and I can't BELIEVE he did not step down. He is an embarrassment in my opinion, and it sickens me to think that we don't hold politicians "on many levels" accountable for their actions. I wouldn't have to wait for the next election if I was Dumler to know when I need to go. It's a disgrace that he is representing Albemarle County!
Well now! Bill Clinton was impeached as a sitting President and remained in office for the druation of his term with full benefits for life. So why the sudden demand for this man to step down because of this little hooha! My guess....someone is pissed about something and is having a little spite party.
same ol

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now! Bill Clinton was impeached as a sitting President and remained in office for the druation of his term with full benefits for life. So why the sudden demand for this man to step down because of this little hooha! My guess....someone is pissed about something and is having a little spite party.
Simple,Bill Clinton's impeachment by the house is akin to an 'indictment' That charge requires a trial in the senate. When he was tried in the senate, 2/3 majority is required to convict, and only 50 senators voted for conviction, 17 short of the 2/3.
Ridiculous

Lyndhurst, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now! Bill Clinton was impeached as a sitting President and remained in office for the druation of his term with full benefits for life. So why the sudden demand for this man to step down because of this little hooha! My guess....someone is **** about something and is having a little spite party.
Not a sudden demand. Just voicing my opinion in this case.
Petition the Circuit Cour

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe...
Cvillian wrote:
The Albemarle County Democratic Party should be ashamed of themselves for not pressuring this convicted sex offender to quit his position on the Board of Supervisors immediately! This man has already abused three women...which makes him a serial sex offender. Waiting years until his term of office is up is just a dishonor of the people who elected him. Furthermore, there is no "recall vote" in Virginia, meaning that he cannot be recalled. He would be removed if he admitted to a felony, but he did not, so he stays in office on a technicality. Only large numbers of outraged women showing up at the next BOS meeting will get any attention from our party leaders. Shame on you Chairman Valerie L’Herrou!
Shame on you Vice Chairman Cynthia Neff, you who bailed out this self-avowed and convicted sex offender.
Shame on you Secretary Diana Mead!
You are women who should standing up for women in our community, not protecting this sex offender. You are clearly out of integrity on this one, and you all should resign and let someone else run the party in Albemarle. I am sickened by this.
twinmom

Wytheville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now! Bill Clinton was impeached as a sitting President and remained in office for the druation of his term with full benefits for life. So why the sudden demand for this man to step down because of this little hooha! My guess....someone is **** about something and is having a little spite party.
The moral thing to do would have been for Clinton to resign as soon as the investigation started, ACCEPTED RESPONSIBILITY for his bad conduct since he knew he was guilty, saved the taxpayers the cost of the proceedings, saved our country (and himself) from global ridicule and embarrassment, and set a good example of how you should act when you make mistakes. Instead he chose to blame the fictional "right-wing conspiracy", and hope that he had covered his tracks well enough. Just because Clinton's behavior was despicable, doesn't give Dumler an excuse to be equally despicable, and it doesn't give the citizens a reason to excuse Dumler's bad behavior.

I am tired of this slap-him-on-the-back, atta-boy, just-sowing-some-wild-oats attitude when it comes to sexual misconduct. Bravo to the courageous women who came forward! From what I read elsewhere in the news, it will take ~ 350 signatures from registered voters in the Scottsville District to start proceedings towards removal from the BOS. Even if that is not successful, it would send a very clear message to him that his behavior will no longer be tolerated in our community. Maybe then he would come to his senses and resign.
whateva

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Concerned Mom wrote:
I cannot believe he is going to keep his job!!!
I cannot believe he is only serving 30 days when that little person who he damaged, will hurt for the rest of her life!!!!
amen concernd mom...this is the lawyers and money rubbing elbows...It makes me sick to think of it....It will resurface later, the old zebra will not change his stripes. Give him a year or two, he'll be back in the news again....
Sickened

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Hey Dumler, IT AINT OVER! I nearly threw up in my mouth when I watched the news video of you leaving the courthouse- such arrogance. A FELONY conviction was within reach but I understand that the victims were likely just relieved to avoid an emotional trial and further victimization. Disappointed you didn't get the higher conviction. You're disgusting!!! Embarrassed and ashamed our local govt doesn't seem bothered by keeping you on the Board of Supervisors...time will tell. You may not be in the sex offender registry but I assure you, no one will forget your filthy face.
Amanda

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Dumbler was spotted last night - not 12 hours after his guilty plea - laughing and drinking beer at the Free Enterprise Forum event with other elected officers.

Word is there isn't a bar or restaurant that will serve Mr. "Drinking Liberally" (a group he belongs to, believe it or not) but he can still tip 'em in Charlottesville.

If I were Dumbler, I wouldn't be seen enjoying myself in public on the eve of my SEXUAL BATTERY CONVICTION -- let alone DRINKING, which seems to be the source of a lot of his problems.

What an arrogant idiot.
ScottsvilleRes

Austinville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Agnes wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, Scottsville Res. You have friends who have pled guilty to crimes they didn't commit because working to prove their innocence would be "a hassle?" If I were accused of a crime I did not commit I would never, ever, under any circumstances, plead guilty. Because it would not be the TRUTH. Pleading guilty would be a LIE. So by Dumler's own admission...he is either guilty or sexual battery, or he is a liar for pleading guilty to a crime he did not commit. Either way, he needs to resign his post and spare his community the further embarrassment of having to force him to step down.
Yawn. Your self-righteous indignation notwithstanding, I know first-hand how expensive lawyers can be. Dumler's Board position nets him $14k a year, and I know from his campaign his legal practice pretty much only does indigent criminal defense and pro bono cases. You must be very fortunate to be in a position where you can put up $100,000 for a good legal defense, but it seems Dumler wasn't. I hope you're never in the unfortunate position of having to put a price tag on how much clearing your name is worth though - it sounds like an unenviable position to be in.

And - just so you know - attorneys tend not to accept moral outrage as legal tender, so if it does happen, I hope you have cash.
Sure

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

twinmom wrote:
<quoted text>
The moral thing to do would have been for Clinton to resign as soon as the investigation started, ACCEPTED RESPONSIBILITY for his bad conduct since he knew he was guilty, saved the taxpayers the cost of the proceedings, saved our country (and himself) from global ridicule and embarrassment, and set a good example of how you should act when you make mistakes. Instead he chose to blame the fictional "right-wing conspiracy", and hope that he had covered his tracks well enough. Just because Clinton's behavior was despicable, doesn't give Dumler an excuse to be equally despicable, and it doesn't give the citizens a reason to excuse Dumler's bad behavior.
I am tired of this slap-him-on-the-back, atta-boy, just-sowing-some-wild-oats attitude when it comes to sexual misconduct. Bravo to the courageous women who came forward! From what I read elsewhere in the news, it will take ~ 350 signatures from registered voters in the Scottsville District to start proceedings towards removal from the BOS. Even if that is not successful, it would send a very clear message to him that his behavior will no longer be tolerated in our community. Maybe then he would come to his senses and resign.
I am right there with you. Many of our politicians are rascals and should be removed from service. I hope the residents of that district can garner the signatures to proceed with removal. I would think there would be that many women that are willing to step up to the plate!
Agnes

Callaway, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

ScottsvilleRes wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn. Your self-righteous indignation notwithstanding, I know first-hand how expensive lawyers can be. Dumler's Board position nets him $14k a year, and I know from his campaign his legal practice pretty much only does indigent criminal defense and pro bono cases. You must be very fortunate to be in a position where you can put up $100,000 for a good legal defense, but it seems Dumler wasn't. I hope you're never in the unfortunate position of having to put a price tag on how much clearing your name is worth though - it sounds like an unenviable position to be in.
And - just so you know - attorneys tend not to accept moral outrage as legal tender, so if it does happen, I hope you have cash.
Court. Appointed. Attorneys. Your assertion that he cannot "afford" to defend himself is specious. He can have an attorney, for free. And someone with Mr. Dumler's connections would likely have access to whatever funds were necessary for his defense, as proven by the alacrity with which his bail was so generously provided. "Moral outrage" - really? Because I believe that an individual who has pled guilty to a sexual offense should not serve in public office? To me, that is just common sense.
ScottsvilleRes

Austinville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Agnes wrote:
<quoted text>
Court. Appointed. Attorneys. Your assertion that he cannot "afford" to defend himself is specious. He can have an attorney, for free. And someone with Mr. Dumler's connections would likely have access to whatever funds were necessary for his defense, as proven by the alacrity with which his bail was so generously provided. "Moral outrage" - really? Because I believe that an individual who has pled guilty to a sexual offense should not serve in public office? To me, that is just common sense.
Maybe you aren't aware of how low one's income has to be in order to qualify for a court-appointed attorney - I suggest you research it. And though I suspect I know just about as much as you do of "Mr. Dumler's connections" (that is, nothing, really), I imagine a mid-20s pro bono attorney who moved here seven years ago and doesn't have family in the area isn't exactly schmoozing it up at the Boar's Head and Farmington to line the coffers of his legal defense fund.
Missy

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Out of the Army wrote:
<quoted text>
He is a reservist and wasn't on active duty. No UCMJ jurisdiction, so no court-martial or NJP. Now, let me engage in some speculation. I'd say his career in the Army Reserve is done with. Probably already lost his security clearance, and will probably also get a letter of reprimand in his file, if he hasn't already. And I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't this trigger the Lautenburg amendment, so he can't carry a weapon and can't be deployed? Last time I checked, even JAG officers have to qualify and carry an M-9. Makes him a pretty useless officer, if they can't deploy him. I'm guessing the public apology and counseling double as both elements of the plea deal and sanctions imposed by the VA Bar for him to keep his license, so at least there's that. But 30 days in jail are probably the least of this guy's problems now.
I so hope your speculation is accurate ... he should not receive military benefits in any way, shape or form. Being married to an honorably discharged military officer, I know the character and honor loyalty exhibited by our military ... Mr. Dumler brings neither character nor honor to the military.
Saywhatnow

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

wwtjdo wrote:
Once you take a plea deal, you're admitting guilt. End of discussion. As for those in here that say to take the so called "Light" sentence, you're saying your life isn't worth the money to spend on your innocence? I'd sell everything I own including my soul if I were innocent of any charges brought up against me that I know I didn't do. If you're found not guilty then you file a defamation of character suit & a suit against the DA for bogus charges. Never give in when falsely accused of something. Never!!!
I agree--except I would not sell my soul-- Hell is way too hot!

If you are offered a plea then that means there must be something you did to make you look guilty. I don't think folks should worry about this. Not saying don't speak out, please do--he is toast! His next job will be as a Walmart greeter.
Staunton Mom

Staunton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

ScottsvilleRes wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you aren't aware of how low one's income has to be in order to qualify for a court-appointed attorney - I suggest you research it. And though I suspect I know just about as much as you do of "Mr. Dumler's connections" (that is, nothing, really), I imagine a mid-20s pro bono attorney who moved here seven years ago and doesn't have family in the area isn't exactly schmoozing it up at the Boar's Head and Farmington to line the coffers of his legal defense fund.
Simple solution for Chris - stop sexually assaulting and/or raping women, and he won’t have to worry about getting a lawyer; paid for, appointed, or otherwise.

And it appears as though you know him (or just a really big fan?) Would you kindly ask him, on behalf of everyone, to no longer rape or forcibly sodomize any more women.

Thanks a bunch…
Beta Blocker

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Typical leftwing lech with personality disorder. This non-sentence empowers and incentivizes predators. I hope Haislip got second victim's consent before vanquishing her claims. Scottsville citizens should picket Dumler's home and sue Board of Supervisors for harboring a known sexual batterer. In the new degraded America, we're going to see more of these creepy ditzes rearing their pathologically empty heads into politics since narcissistic personality disorder renders most unfit for legitimate employment.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101 - 120 of142
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Charlottesville Discussions

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 14 hr abe 1,350
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
Altria, Cville Businesses Against Proposed Ciga... Apr 10 Mugs mahone 1
Carlos Untied: Behind the Scenes at the Newsplex (Aug '10) Apr 5 truerer 2
student sues abc thugs Apr 2 civilliberty 4
Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) Mar 30 panhandler 133
Oakhill Market Breaking and Entering Suspect Ar... (Oct '11) Mar '14 Who are you to judge 28
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance