Barrett Early Learning Center to Close after 78 years

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

After 78 years, the Barrett Early Learning Center will close operations at the close of business on August 16th at 6:00 p.m. Founded in 1935 and formerly known as the Janie Porter Barrett Nursery, it is one of the oldest early childhood programs in Virginia.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of46
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Tyler

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Davenue wrote:
I'll be the first to admit my views are probably somewhat misguided and selfish, but that's how I feel none the less and me and my family have earned a right to my opinion.
"I'm probably wrong, but it's an opinion, and opinions are just as good as facts, especially since I've earned an opinion somehow."

No.
Davenue

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

I see after looking at their website that it has always relied on subsidies in one form or another: http://www2.lib.virginia.edu/exhibits/bdc/fun...
So basically someone like jogger is wondering at what point is it fair to continue to subsidize these types of things. Obviously back in 1935, it was fully necessary because the idea of someone like Obama being president would have been scoffed at to say the least, let alone a quality education for most black children. Of course he didn't propose it in the best way but regardless, there is what a lot of people out here are trying to express this type of question: At what point are people continuing to be considered at a disadvantage through actions not of their own doing? But it's a conversation that I guess we aren't ready to have yet.
Davenue

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
"I'm probably wrong, but it's an opinion, and opinions are just as good as facts, especially since I've earned an opinion somehow."
No.
What is this comment supposed to mean?
Tiffany Anne Shifflett

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Quiet, adults are talking.
....about spending tax dollars to subsidize child care for breeders who cannot/will not take responsibility to funding the care of their loin fruits.
Tyler

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Tiffany Anne Shifflett wrote:
<quoted text>
....about spending tax dollars to subsidize child care for breeders who cannot/will not take responsibility to funding the care of their loin fruits.
I see, you're from 4chan or something.
Tyler

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Davenue wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this comment supposed to mean?
It means what it says. You say you're very probably wrong but that you have just as much of a right to talk as everyone else. Which is true, but it doesn't make what you say relevant.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, you're from 4chan or something.
lol
Davenue

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Ok, you think you're slick, like I said with Sena, it's easy when you're opinions are in the majority. I guess opinions are only relevant by who can talk the loudest, sound the most educated, and agree with popular opinion.
Tyler

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Davenue wrote:
Ok, you think you're slick, like I said with Sena, it's easy when you're opinions are in the majority. I guess opinions are only relevant by who can talk the loudest, sound the most educated, and agree with popular opinion.
If my opinions were in the majority then we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place; Barrett would be funded and we would all learn something about empathy.
Davenue

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

This is the type of condescending rhetoric that many hard-working people are sick of hearing.
TL in Cville

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Sena Magill wrote:
I am saddened beyond believe over this, if this is not rectified my daughter will be in Barrett's last graduating class. She has had the same teachers for the last 3 years she has loved going to school and is prepared for kindergarten beyond my expectations. We have loved Barrett and to let this Charlottesville landmark of education and racial and economic diversity go dark will be a shameful mark on Charlottesville. Barrett is worth saving to preserve a part of our communities living history.
Well said.
tlclove

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

It's really about none of this. It's about children that have no say in the world that he or she has been brought into.
It is in perilous times that children will suffer. And who will help these children?
A parent may receive help in daycare. Individuals cannot receive care if he or she is not in school or working.
With the high cost of living an individual cannot afford quality daycare. It is very sad that we are judging individuals that are attempting to make their life, and the life or their children better.
Tyler

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Davenue wrote:
This is the type of condescending rhetoric that many hard-working people are sick of hearing.
And as many hard-working people are just as sick of having to repeat themselves to persons like yourself. Now go on, take off and wonder why the world is going to hell and why the younger generation doesn't have any respect for anything. We're going to do something about it.
ya think

Rocky Mount, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
And as many hard-working people are just as sick of having to repeat themselves to persons like yourself. Now go on, take off and wonder why the world is going to hell and why the younger generation doesn't have any respect for anything. We're going to do something about it.
Then write your check, and YOU take off... your spiteful words and condescending attitude are not helpful to anyone.
TL in Cville

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

The President, Treasurer and 3 Directors take no salary. Tuition in 2011 was $255,976 and PRIVATE grants were $10,364 (down from $11,734 in 2010). This is revenue of $266.340. Expenses were $292.399. Of the expenses $257.679 (88.1%) went to the programs and only $34,720 (11.9%) went to administration (including building maintenance). I think Mr. Armengol and his staff have done great to stay open this long.

Barrett doesn't receive any government grants.

Just thought you commenters should know some facts ( Guidestar.org ) while you are bashing each other about welfare and glorified child care. Many philanthropists have cut back their grantmaking over the past 3 or so years and unfortunately, organizations like Barrett Early Learning Center are suffering because of it, and so are their clients.
Tyler

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

It takes a lot more than a check to combat the kind of sociopathic apathy and lack of regard for our fellow human beings on display in these comments, but it's OK. The arc of the universe bends towards justice and compassion.
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Sena Magill wrote:
I would also like to clarify for all those out there assuming Barrett is a
"All in all, this was just a place for the a certain class of people to dump their kids off while the government paid for it.
It is time parents took responsibilities for their actions." (Thinking Free above)
I pay $165.00 a week to send my child here, it is the full tuition for the center. This is still cheap for Charlottesville. I work for a homeless shelter, I am well educated and so is my husband. Barrett is a wonderful amazing school, I am putting my real name here so I can stand beside my words those of you out there who Anonymously throw out vitriolic uneducated inflammatory rhetoric I name you coward.
What a bargain! Day care AND money left over for tofu! Is "Guest Advocate" something like a "Community Organizer?" Equally useless, I assume - if the parallel of the Great Organizer Himself, Barack Hussein-as-salaam-alaikum Obama (mm, mmm, mmm!) is anything to go by.

But seriously, why would you assume that vitriolic, inflammatory rhetoric would come only from an uneducated person?
ya think

Rocky Mount, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Tyler wrote:
sociopathic apathy and lack of regard for our fellow human beings on display in these comments
Are you the pot or the kettle? I remember your comments saying things like "quiet, adults talking" and "sick of having to repeat themselves to persons like yourself"...
Tyler

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

CvilleGordo wrote:
<quoted text>
What a bargain! Day care AND money left over for tofu! Is "Guest Advocate" something like a "Community Organizer?" Equally useless, I assume - if the parallel of the Great Organizer Himself, Barack Hussein-as-salaam-alaikum Obama (mm, mmm, mmm!) is anything to go by.
But seriously, why would you assume that vitriolic, inflammatory rhetoric would come only from an uneducated person?
Can it, Gordo, you're only impressing yourself.
Feed the Poor

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

Tyler wrote:
It takes a lot more than a check to combat the kind of sociopathic apathy and lack of regard for our fellow human beings on display in these comments, but it's OK. The arc of the universe bends towards justice and compassion.
Because someone does not choose to express their compassion in the same way you think it should be expressed does not make them an apathetic sociopath; nor will your opinion about those people that don't agree with you bring the universe any closer to bending towards justice and compassion.
Maybe if you opened your mind and heart to understand that. just because everyone does not agree with you doesn't make them evil. then the world could move closer to compassion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of46
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Charlottesville Discussions

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 10 hr abe 1,350
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
Altria, Cville Businesses Against Proposed Ciga... Apr 10 Mugs mahone 1
Carlos Untied: Behind the Scenes at the Newsplex (Aug '10) Apr 5 truerer 2
student sues abc thugs Apr 2 civilliberty 4
Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) Mar 30 panhandler 133
Oakhill Market Breaking and Entering Suspect Ar... (Oct '11) Mar '14 Who are you to judge 28
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance