War Vets Honored at Eyes Wide Open Ex...

War Vets Honored at Eyes Wide Open Exhibit - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 19 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 9, 2012, titled War Vets Honored at Eyes Wide Open Exhibit - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Hundreds of shoes lined the south lawn at the University of Virginia Friday. The exhibit displayed 196 pairs of boots representing military casualties in Virginia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

gracey

Richmond, VA

#1 Nov 9, 2012
It is also an "anti-war" statement, I think. The cost of the wars is too great and cannot be justified. The AFSC, that developed the exhibit has worked for peace for more than 90 years. Founded during WW1, it has opposed all wars since then. I think the exhibit is meant to mourn the dead and to show the cost of war.
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#2 Nov 10, 2012
gracey wrote:
It is also an "anti-war" statement, I think.
If it were an anti-war statement, the "array" of shoes representing Iraqi and Afghani deaths would be a giant pile.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#3 Nov 10, 2012
gracey wrote:
It is also an "anti-war" statement, I think. The cost of the wars is too great and cannot be justified. The AFSC, that developed the exhibit has worked for peace for more than 90 years. Founded during WW1, it has opposed all wars since then. I think the exhibit is meant to mourn the dead and to show the cost of war.
I will agree with you. People have forgotten the reason we got into both of those wars. I love how after 9/11 everyone was ready to go to war. But shortly after it begun those very same people began to criticize how we were in a war.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
twinmom

Farmville, VA

#5 Nov 10, 2012
If you want to honor veterans for their service, then honor veterans. Don't turn it into a cheap anti-war political statement. There may be a time and a place for a protest, but don't confuse it with recognizing the brave young men and women who fight our enemies so that you can stay home and enjoy freedom of speech.
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#6 Nov 10, 2012
twinmom wrote:
If you want to honor veterans for their service, then honor veterans. Don't turn it into a cheap anti-war political statement. There may be a time and a place for a protest, but don't confuse it with recognizing the brave young men and women who fight our enemies so that you can stay home and enjoy freedom of speech.
Could you be any more sanctimonious?

"...it is a way to bring awareness and pay tribute."

Note the _tribute_.
gracey

Richmond, VA

#7 Nov 10, 2012
It is not a cheap tribute. And yes, the cost of war is tremendous, too great to be justified. The man, Bales, who is on trail now for killing 16 or more people int he middle of the night in Afgh. while he was drunk, had been to war is Iraq four times, then Obama sent him to Afgh. In these tragic wars, no one is defending "freedom." This is a tragic and misguided and dangerous abstraction. And yes, the Iraqi and Afghan shoes should be a tremendous pile, much bigger than soldiers' boots. But it is an American display. The AFSC also has exhibits on photos and stories of mostly Iraqis and Afghans. God have mercy on our souls. Grief and anger at the horrible losses.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Nov 10, 2012
I'm a freakin veteran of VN and believe me, when people say thank you for your service I want to puke in their face. Its despicable the excuses this corrupt country uses to justify sending young men and women off to be sacrificed so corporations can profit with DOD contracts. The only valid war we entered was WW2 and maybe WW1, all the rest have not even been declared wars. People in this country are clueless about the motivations behind our involvement in the middle east. Its sickening. 5000 gone in Iraq another 2000 now in Afghanistan, the only thing we've accomplished over there is giving those folks a reason to hate us, thats really helping the war on terrorism, sure is.
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

#9 Nov 11, 2012
This isn't an honor at all....Typical Charlottesville.
Paratrooper82 173

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Nov 11, 2012
This is typical Charlottesville.
To mock veterans day with such a display and to garner the publicity with a complicit rationalization by a local media outlet is a disgrace. Enjoy your free speech and the liberty to be asinine.
Paratrooper82 173

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Nov 11, 2012
thinking free wrote:
I'm a freakin veteran of VN and believe me, when people say thank you for your service I want to puke in their face. Its despicable the excuses this corrupt country uses to justify sending young men and women off to be sacrificed so corporations can profit with DOD contracts. The only valid war we entered was WW2 and maybe WW1, all the rest have not even been declared wars. People in this country are clueless about the motivations behind our involvement in the middle east. Its sickening. 5000 gone in Iraq another 2000 now in Afghanistan, the only thing we've accomplished over there is giving those folks a reason to hate us, thats really helping the war on terrorism, sure is.
Adjust your tin foil hat there skippy, and other than laughing at your sanctimonious diatribe, I have the big answer for you missed... "they" have hated the US since 1947.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Nov 11, 2012
Paratrooper82 173 wrote:
<quoted text>
Adjust your tin foil hat there skippy, and other than laughing at your sanctimonious diatribe, I have the big answer for you missed... "they" have hated the US since 1947.
Common, when you can't stand the truth call it a name like diatribe, and comparing then to now is slumming, stand on your ego if you wish, it won't stop the next American kid from getting killed for old fat white guys like you.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#14 Nov 12, 2012
thinking free wrote:
You sir, were obviously a draft and not a volunteer. As us volunteer troopers truly believe in what we have to fight for. I'm guessing your MOS was 11B? Plain old dumb grunt who had no better knowledge or training to get a better MOS? The people that thank you are actually thanking not you, but the spirit in which you served, and what you fought for. They sleep better at night knowing there are people out there ready to defend their freedom and fight for them. They sadly confuse you for a real soldier who is willing to do their job at defending freedom.

And if you even knew what it was like over there you would know they don't hate us. Most of the people over there are happy were are there and fighting for their freedoms. The women are finally able to show their faces and stop wearing hot stuffy burkas. There are now woman over there learning to read and going to school thanks to us over throwing the taliban and freeing Afghan. In Iraq the people were glad we freed them from sadams rule. Do you have any idea how proud they were during their first elections? People were actually walking up and shaking our hands and showing us their purple thumbs to prove they had voted. They were proud they had those freedoms and abilities to allow that. It sickens me that we have people in this country who don't even support it. Please do us all a favor and move to Canada.

But obviously I know nothing of the middle east and serving this great country. So please sir, educate us on the actual motivations in the middle east?
mitt lost big time

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Nov 12, 2012
FreelanceEMT wrote:
<quoted text>
You sir, were obviously a draft and not a volunteer. As us volunteer troopers truly believe in what we have to fight for. I'm guessing your MOS was 11B? Plain old dumb grunt who had no better knowledge or training to get a better MOS? The people that thank you are actually thanking not you, but the spirit in which you served, and what you fought for. They sleep better at night knowing there are people out there ready to defend their freedom and fight for them. They sadly confuse you for a real soldier who is willing to do their job at defending freedom.
And if you even knew what it was like over there you would know they don't hate us. Most of the people over there are happy were are there and fighting for their freedoms. The women are finally able to show their faces and stop wearing hot stuffy burkas. There are now woman over there learning to read and going to school thanks to us over throwing the taliban and freeing Afghan. In Iraq the people were glad we freed them from sadams rule. Do you have any idea how proud they were during their first elections? People were actually walking up and shaking our hands and showing us their purple thumbs to prove they had voted. They were proud they had those freedoms and abilities to allow that. It sickens me that we have people in this country who don't even support it. Please do us all a favor and move to Canada.
But obviously I know nothing of the middle east and serving this great country. So please sir, educate us on the actual motivations in the middle east?
Non of what you surmise is true, I enlisted, but no matter, all the rest of your propaganda serves only to justify your own war monger stance on this countries efforts of nation building and looking the other way when we bomb innocent women and children in the name of democracy. The real difference? You have to justify your existance, I don't, I just tell the truth which you can't handle. The middle east? Nothing more complicated than DOD contracts and a corrupt congress.
buyerbeware

Crozet, VA

#16 Nov 12, 2012
thinking free wrote:
Still grumpy that your "fellow citizens" didn't appreciate your service during VN at the time, unlike now? I for one will thank you for your service, regardless of what "popular opinion" is.
buyerbeware

Crozet, VA

#17 Nov 12, 2012
thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>Common, when you can't stand the truth call it a name like diatribe, and comparing then to now is slumming, stand on your ego if you wish, it won't stop the next American kid from getting killed for old fat white guys like you.
Plese list for us branch of service, years, occupational specialty...go ahead..enlighten us. You sound like a poser...
buyerbeware

Crozet, VA

#18 Nov 12, 2012
"a" key is not working.Ple se Ple se Please, there it goes...
buyerbeware

Crozet, VA

#19 Nov 12, 2012
mitt lost big time wrote:
<quoted text>Non of what you surmise is true, I enlisted, but no matter, all the rest of your propaganda serves only to justify your own war monger stance on this countries efforts of nation building and looking the other way when we bomb innocent women and children in the name of democracy. The real difference? You have to justify your existance, I don't, I just tell the truth which you can't handle. The middle east? Nothing more complicated than DOD contracts and a corrupt congress.
Wow, now the blame is switched to DOD and congress? What happened to " it's bush's fault?" Doesn't work for you anymore? So why did you enlist?
And give the Jack Nicholson histrionics rest..."you can't handle the truth"
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Nov 12, 2012
buyerbeware wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, now the blame is switched to DOD and congress? What happened to " it's bush's fault?" Doesn't work for you anymore? So why did you enlist?
And give the Jack Nicholson histrionics rest..."you can't handle the truth"
The only time I ever refered to Bush was to lable him a dupe for Rumsfeld, Cheney and the rest, Bush was and is an Idiot. Enlisting was the thing to do to insure you didn't come home in a body bag, eeven back then I was aware enough to know that VN was a bogus war, one that again has never been declared. Haliburton missed out on that one. Just when are you war mongers gonna realise that Eisenhower was right?
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Nov 12, 2012
buyerbeware wrote:
<quoted text>Plese list for us branch of service, years, occupational specialty...go ahead..enlighten us. You sound like a poser...
Got my DD214 and medals to boot, not gonna feed a troll with the rest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Should The Confederate Flag Be Rejected? (Sep '15) Jul 24 Kyle 2
Wes Bellamy's Criminal History? Jul 22 ConcernedCvillian 1
News Fluvanna Soccer Player Convicted of Assault in ... (Jul '12) Jul 22 Trump2016 71
News Judge Dismisses Case Against The Inn at Afton O... (Aug '12) Jul 22 Karen Jones 19
Moving to Charlottesville, Va Jul 18 Mary Larbre 1
Is Trump vinyard really the biggest vinyard on ... Jul 11 Wondering 1
Chinese tutor Jul 6 Kacart15 1

Charlottesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages