Albemarle Supervisors Talk Schools, Overtime and Texas Trip - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Soaring overtime costs, school money and a trip to Texas topped talks at Albemarle County Board of Supervisors meeting Wednesday.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Dec 6, 2012
No Doubt

Keswick, VA

#1 Dec 5, 2012
Not surprised Boyd is headed to Austin for a FREE weekend of food and booze thanks to the tax payers. Here's an idea, invite local people who have lived in Austin or visited the town for coffee and ask them what their thoughts are on change. I've traveled to Austin several times and I can tell you for FREE, Cville is not Austin and never will be. Waste of tax dollars.
OMG

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Dec 5, 2012
Let's hear who proposed the Austin idea and then let us hear who the staffers are who are going. This, like many county frills are a joke!!!! They have to physically go there? Gore invented the Internet so you don't have to leave your seat and Google gave us the Google man on the map so you can be on location, virtually.

I also wonder if that half mill for OT was for actual calls or sitting and waiting. Sounds like the fox is watching the hens.
twinmom

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Dec 5, 2012
Next time we get the call from the PTO that the schools are in dire straits again, and all the parents need to show up and tell the supervisors we want to raise taxes so we don't have, omg! teacher lay-offs, I am going to laugh in their faces.
Yes, there should be a modest reserve fund,but I would greatly appreciate it if the school administration would stop playing Chicken Little every year and just tell us the truth about their real budget needs.
antisocial

Palmyra, VA

#4 Dec 5, 2012
twinmom wrote:
Next time we get the call from the PTO that the schools are in dire straits again, and all the parents need to show up and tell the supervisors we want to raise taxes so we don't have, omg! teacher lay-offs, I am going to laugh in their faces.
Yes, there should be a modest reserve fund,but I would greatly appreciate it if the school administration would stop playing Chicken Little every year and just tell us the truth about their real budget needs.
wouldn't it be easier to just close the schools, lower our property taxes and if you want your child educated, pay tuition!!!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Dec 5, 2012
OMG wrote:
Let's hear who proposed the Austin idea and then let us hear who the staffers are who are going. This, like many county frills are a joke!!!! They have to physically go there? Gore invented the Internet so you don't have to leave your seat and Google gave us the Google man on the map so you can be on location, virtually.
I also wonder if that half mill for OT was for actual calls or sitting and waiting. Sounds like the fox is watching the hens.
Buyer beware!

1. They didn't just hire two. They hired many and there are many more to be hired.

2. The county plans to take over Fire/EMS in all the county so they can bill all of their citizens whom they have collected tax dollars already to fund their operations to further fund their plans (new ambulances, new buildings, more people!) Why bill Pantops 6a-6p and Hollymead/Monticello 24/7 when you can bill all the county 24/7.
citizen

Rice, VA

#6 Dec 5, 2012
Hopefully the Charlottesville City Council can talk to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and learn how they handle career drunks, druggies and felons that like to beg on malls and at intersections. Hint: TDCJ doesn't allow a person to rack up one, two or three hunded cases in a district court website.
Rush Maddow

Hardy, VA

#7 Dec 5, 2012
thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>

2. The county plans to take over Fire/EMS in all the county so they can bill all of their citizens whom they have collected tax dollars already to fund their operations to further fund their plans (new ambulances, new buildings, more people!) Why bill Pantops 6a-6p and Hollymead/Monticello 24/7 when you can bill all the county 24/7.
This is the only intelligent, wise thing I've ever read from you.
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Dec 6, 2012
OMG wrote:
Here's a treat: the Austin idea was floated by--get this--a local travel agent who then, of course, won the job to arrange the trip to Austin through his travel agency.
Other than begin a liberal college town, Austin is so far removed from Cville that it is laughable to even go there. For example:

--Austin's metro population is around eight times that of Cville's.
--Austin is a state capital, which creates an automatic economic base (despite the fact that many state cap cities are going bankrupt, but that is mostly due to corrupt administrations).
--The college population of universities and colleges in Austin is around three times that of Cville's student population.
--The Austin Music Scene has, in large part, benefitted from the huge mass popularity of country music. As country music has morphed into rock music with a twang and an accent, more and more artists have flooded Austin (Nashville is huge, nasty and cut-throat) in the past two decades, creating a huge, vibrant music scene that has been cultivated. People around here think one successful band from Cville makes us Austin or Athens. Not so. Local pols think that creating one music festival will put us on the map. Not so. We are eons behind.

Other than those "minor" differences, hey, we are just like Austin! I don't think Ken Boyd is of the mindset that he creams his jeans over a free three-day trip to Austin. I do find it interesting that they are planning to go Feb. 26-28, which is a few days before a major festival/event is happening in Austin. You'd think they'd want to be there to see first-hand how the city runs a major event.

R.I.P.: Howie Epstein
Carryin Cavalier

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Dec 6, 2012
You could cut costs by making the trip to Texas one-way.
Waste not want not

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Dec 6, 2012
As a County employee I received a one percent raise which comes to $160.00 increase PER YEAR as that is all that the County said that they could afford - REALLY??? Disgusting!
Cut out the junkets, all of the waste and pay your hard working employees a decent wage! Why does the County not recognize the Living Wage?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Albemarle seeks input on changing rules for rur... Aug 26 Buffalo jim 3
NAACP Urges People To Bring Cameras Wherever Ar... Aug 26 Rock 6
Another Example Of A No Tollerence Antis, This ... Aug 22 Clyde Frawg 1
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) Aug 20 Heatherstamper 3
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert Aug 19 Shantane 4
3rd man sentenced in theft of Va. Guard equipme... (May '12) Aug 18 firsthandknowledge 13
Scottsville Man Arrested for Homicide, Child Abuse Aug 13 test 1
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••