What You Need to Know for Election Da...

What You Need to Know for Election Day - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 74 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 5, 2012, titled What You Need to Know for Election Day - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Tuesday is Election Day, and election officials all over the battleground state of Virginia are gearing up to make sure things run as smooth as possible.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Hey Larry

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Nov 6, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Within 7 minutes the American people knew OBL had been killed. It's been more than 8 weeks and our President has not given the American people any answers. Where was he? Who denied on that night the request for HELP? It's sad that we have men and women willing to die for our freedoms but our President can't be honest with their families or the American people about what happened that night.
Waaaaa Waaaaa diaper changing time; if I were you, I'd get my booze early today - long lines of repubs and tea p's will be forming at the ABC stores.

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

#23 Nov 6, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
"House Republicans voted to cut nearly $300 million from the U.S. embassy security budget."
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/10/10/...
I guess Chevy Volts and a charging station are more important than American lives.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/...
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Nov 6, 2012
Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
<quoted text>I guess Chevy Volts and a charging station are more important than American lives.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/...
from your link "h8tosay" "Wondering"

"This is not to argue that having more guards, extending the SST presence, or authorizing the continued use of the DC-3 plane would have prevented Ambassador Stevens’ death"

the electric volt was for an embassy in vienna, the difference in price is probably made up for over the life of the vehicle / resale value - in cost of gas over there which is extremely high, much higher than here. fauxnewz/wash times can nitpick instances of budget expenditures, but the fact remains, the republicans cut the security budget.

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

#25 Nov 6, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
from your link "h8tosay" "Wondering"
"This is not to argue that having more guards, extending the SST presence, or authorizing the continued use of the DC-3 plane would have prevented Ambassador Stevens’ death"
the electric volt was for an embassy in vienna, the difference in price is probably made up for over the life of the vehicle / resale value - in cost of gas over there which is extremely high, much higher than here. fauxnewz/wash times can nitpick instances of budget expenditures, but the fact remains, the republicans cut the security budget.
Just love how you selectively choose points in an article. Let's read further shall we?

"According to Eric Nordstrom, a regional security officer of the U.S. Mission to Libya from September 2011 to July 2012, the State Department not only refused his requests for greater security, but actually reduced the number of Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) agents assigned to foreign service officers based in Libya. Ironically, as the State Department withdrew security resources, it increased hazard pay for its employees based in Libya by 5 percent.

Mr. Nordstrom’s concerns regarding the escalating violence and inadequate security provisions, especially at the Benghazi compound, were shared by Lt. Col. Andrew Wood, commander of the 16-member Security Support Team (SST) in Libya from February to August 2012. Lt. Col. Wood, who left Libya shortly before Ambassador Stevens was assassinated, believed that the SST presence needed to be extended, an idea Mr. Nordstrom said was shot down by the State Department in early July.

When Lt. Col. Wood and Mr. Nordstrom surveyed the Benghazi compound’s physical security in March 2012, they said the security provisions were “inappropriately low,” with just one DSS agent available to supervise the 24-hour security. In addition to the DSS agent, the compound was protected by four armed members of the 17th of February Martyrs Brigade and unarmed Libyan contractors employed by the British-based Blue Mountain Group.

According to an employment contract recovered at the Benghazi compound by the Washington Post shortly after the September attacks, those unarmed Libyan contractors were making roughly $4 dollars an hour.

If that was indeed the case, the State Department, using the funds provided to the U.S. embassy in Austria for an electric vehicle charger, could have provided Ambassador Stevens with three additional guards, 24 hours a day, for 365 days, with some money left over.

This is not to argue that having more guards, extending the SST presence, or authorizing the continued use of the DC-3 plane would have prevented Ambassador Stevens’ death, which marked the first assassination of a U.S. ambassador since the 1970s. It does, however, raise a question about the State Department’s spending priorities.

Should the money directed toward other State Department initiatives, such as the “Energy Efficiency Sweep of Europe,” have gone toward efforts to secure highly vulnerable State Department personnel in areas like Libya?

In terms of securing the U.S. mission in Libya, it’s hard to argue that the money wasn’t there.

What seemed to be lacking was the common sense to know where to spend it.

Europe’s green energy sweep should have been Libya’s security sweep. Instead, the very real threats to the U.S. mission in Libya were swept under the rug."

Read more: KELLY: Libya security cut while Vienna embassy gained Chevy Volts - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Nov 6, 2012
"security provisions were “inappropriately low”
"Libyan contractors were making roughly $4 dollars an hour"

due to GOP slashing their budget

try again h8tosay, wondering
Mitt for President

Charlottesville, VA

#27 Nov 6, 2012
Democrat voter wrote:
It's so unfair I have to hold on till Wednesday to vote for Obama, but I can't wait!
Go ahead and wait until Wednesday! It's your right....
Mitt for President

Charlottesville, VA

#28 Nov 6, 2012
Romney has lost it wrote:
I will go to bed early tomorrow night cause the election will be called even before the west coast results are in.
Keep the tissues by your bed while you weep. Practice saying "President Romeny"...
VA4GaryJohnson

Harrisonburg, VA

#29 Nov 6, 2012
Hartes Ignorance wrote:
And Gary Johnson isn't one of the "rich elite"?. He's a multi-millionaire, anti tax ( ESPECIALLY on multi-millionaires ) REPUBLICAN. That pumped a half million dollars of his OWN money to secure a governorship. HE running Libertarian, only because his own TRUE party just had MORE & BIGGER elitists than he could compete with.
Starting in 1975, Johnson founded Big J Enterprises, Inc., a door-to-door handyman business that he hoped would help him pay his way through college. Over the next twenty years, the firm grew by leaps and bounds into what Forbes magazine described as a “full-service commercial and industrial construction company located in New Mexico.”

With clients such as Honeywell International and Intel Corporation, when Johnson sold the firm in 1999 it was one of the state’s leading construction companies and employed more than 1,000 people.

Think about what that means for just a moment. We have two candidates that can’t stop talking about how they’re going to use the government to create jobs, something that we know is impossible. And then we have a man who actually created over a thousand jobs as the result of his own entrepreneurial efforts.

If this election were a job interview, you would have three serious applicants:

BARACK OBAMA – A man with zero private sector experience, and someone who is openly hostile to small business at almost every turn.

MITT ROMNEY – A man who was born into extreme wealth and who has spent his entire career as a corporate raider, fueled by his family’s connections and deep pockets. He has no understanding of how real businesses work.

GARY JOHNSON – Built a small handyman service into one of the largest commercial construction companies in New Mexico, employing over 1,000 individuals.
ResnoblicansHave Romnesia

Ardsley, NY

#30 Nov 6, 2012
[QUOTE who="WondGo & ask him!ering"]<quoted text>
We still need answers from our President as to what happened that night.[/QUOTE]Go & ask him!
Mitt will loose

Charlottesville, VA

#31 Nov 6, 2012
Just got back from voting at Albemarle HS, Romney is getting his arse kicked bigtime. But I knew that would happen.
Hartes Ignorance

Butler, PA

#32 Nov 6, 2012
The state dept. had little to do with security measures there, or what happened. This provides some insight as to what was & wasn't done. And why. Also why Romney didn't hammer on this issue in the final days of the campaign. And why except for a hanful of senators, congressional Republican aren't loudly barking at this supposed red meat. Even Daryll Issa has largely backed off of it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/beng...
Hartes Ignorance

Butler, PA

#33 Nov 6, 2012
Part of Nordstrom's testimoney, conveniently left out of the above article.

"But Nordstrom partially shot holes in the GOP argument on Wednesday by acknowledging to the panel’s chairman, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), that even with the additional security forces, the attack wouldn’t have been prevented.

“The ferocity and intensity of the attack was nothing that we had seen in Libya, or that I had seen in my time in the Diplomatic Security Service,” Nordstrom said.

“Having an extra foot of wall, or an extra-half dozen guards or agents would not have enabled us to respond to that kind of assault,” Nordstrom said at Wednesday’s hearing."

Ardsley, NY

#34 Nov 6, 2012
Mitt will loose wrote:
Just got back from voting at Albemarle HS, Romney is getting his arse kicked bigtime. But I knew that would happen.
I don't know why you think Mitt is sexy!
mammybammy

Winchester, VA

#36 Nov 6, 2012
"Just got back from voting at Albemarle HS, Romney is getting his arse kicked bigtime. But I knew that would happen."

Duh!!...most of the people able to vote between 8 and 5 are democrats.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#38 Nov 6, 2012
mammybammy wrote:
"Just got back from voting at Albemarle HS, Romney is getting his arse kicked bigtime. But I knew that would happen."
Duh!!...most of the people able to vote between 8 and 5 are democrats.
Most of them looked like working stiffs to me. Took about 20 minutes. It's in the HS library with 4 polling booths (not enough). The lines were pretty disorganized and in a cramped space, go in one line to show d/l, state name and address, given a little yellow slip, go into another line which winds out into the hallway and then give the slip to the person in front of the booth. Despite all the expensive and wasted GOP effort to suppress the vote with id legislation, one could easily take a snapshot of the yellow slip with their phone, go home to print a bunch of them, come back to get in the voting again since they don't ask for your ID when entering the booth, they just take the slip.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#40 Nov 6, 2012
anecdotal of course, but the majority in line were 'minorities'(soon to be the majority)

the fat old white guys and their trailing wives looked very uncomfortable walking out

Ardsley, NY

#41 Nov 6, 2012
Mitt for President wrote:
<quoted text>Keep the tissues by your bed while you weep. Practice saying "President Romeny"...
"Romeny" You have Romnesia!
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#42 Nov 6, 2012
heh wrote:
anecdotal of course, but the majority in line were 'minorities'(soon to be the majority)
the fat old white guys and their trailing wives looked very uncomfortable walking out
Lib fantasy.
Hartes Ignorance

Butler, PA

#43 Nov 6, 2012
"anecdotal of course, but the majority in line were 'minorities'(soon to be the majority)
the fat old white guys and their trailing wives looked very uncomfortable walking out"

"Lib fantasy."

No! Reality. Whites went from 87% of the electorate in 1998, to 74% in 2008, and continue to decline as a "majority".
Just Checking

Herndon, VA

#44 Nov 6, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
"House Republicans voted to cut nearly $300 million from the U.S. embassy security budget."
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/10/10/...
If the Democratic controlled Senate restored 88 million....why didn't they just restore the whole amount?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Statue Vote is Racists May 21 Uber-bro of the u... 3
News Charlottesville businessman who admitted to ste... May 19 bert 2
Cville Vice Mayor: Convicted criminal, racist, ... May 16 bulk 2
News Former Bus Driver Charged with Indecent Liberti... (May '13) May 8 Gbc 44
Help an Aspiring Charlottesville Author and Ge... May 7 BillyDeCarlo 1
News CRCC to Meet with Congressional Leaders May 2 Morris 1
News Fluvanna Parents Petition Supervisors for Schoo... (Mar '13) Apr 30 Curtis 74

Charlottesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages