Jim Reid, Three Other UVa Football Assistant Coaches Fired - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News,...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Charlottesville, Va. Virginia football head coach Mike London announced today four members of the Cavalier coaching staff have been relieved of their duties.
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Dec 10, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Walose

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

London and Lazor should have been the first ones relieved of their duties!These two are why walose football is a joke
Ralph

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Things are looking up! Goodbye to all, and same to Michael Rocco. Thanks for all your time and effort.
jjj

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Like Rocco or not , he was easily our best qb since Hagans left following the 2005 season.... Mr London while he is firing people should strongly consider firing the man in the mirror, because while the man in the mirror is a solid recruiter he is a very subpar coach who appears totally clueless at times......Clearly clueless on whom to even fire, the young defense become solid as the year went on and Reid should have stayed over a few certain guys.. Oh mr London try letting guys coach at the positions they played at dude.. Moore should have been qb coach not te coach.. Dex coaching special teams ??? Come on now London ....
brorabbit

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Whenever a team has a losing season, the full responsibility lies on the head coach. Rocco had a winning season last year,leading the team to a college bowl game. He should have told that he was the starting qb at the beginning of this season. Instead, Sims transferred, and was given at chance at the starting qb position. If UVA wasn't good enough for him to come in the beginning, no matter his talent, he should have not been rewarded with this chance, with the due respect to Rocco. Hence, with the indecisiveness of the qb position by the head coach, the whole team was effected, and Rocco lost his confidence. Yes Mr London, you need to be fired!!!
confused fan

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

Confused as to who was fired. Been to all of the home games. Maybe I missed something. The defense got better and seemed to be the bright spot. Offense calls and the O line needed leadership. And, allowing Rocco to be pouting on the sidelines at the Duke game. Did not see those changes coming.
Ralph

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

It's all about politics and money folks. London was pressured to make coaching changes. He most likely vetted replacements at every position, and only came up with a D coordinator. It's unlikely uber talented assistant coaches are clamoring to work under this guy, especially after the Tech game. Also possible...Lazor has a significant buyout in his contract. The combined buyout for the guys fired is only 1.8 million I think, reasonable by today's standards. Oh, and of course we have to consider the prospect of trying to teach a new scheme to Simms, who struggled mightily to grasp the very basics of the current offense.
Liberalace

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Wow, I am from Philly and it is awesome to have two bastions of mediocrity in my football world!
UVa Sports...Uncompromised Excellence.

R.I.P.: Leonard Tose
Dodger Bob

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

The whole program is a mess.
Rocky Hiker

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

"discussed with administration", means alumni donators. College football is minor league football and we'd all be bettor off if it was run like minor league baseball. Show me a minor league baseball coach who makes millions in salary. We spend way to much on college football programs.
Not a Lib

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

Walose wrote:
London and Lazor should have been the first ones relieved of their duties!These two are why walose football is a joke
Gosh, you're creative Walose!
Idea

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

I think London has put himslef on report. We'll see how next year goes. I too expected the changes to be on offensive coaching. If it weren't for defense in our last game, Tech would have won by 21 points.
E Marshallbuckles

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

Jim Reid is a great coach and a nice guy too. The thing here is that UVA has academic standards and the athletes are students first unlike other universities, I could name, where the athletes are athletes who get by and then leave when their eligibility is done. Of course, it probably won't happen in my lifetime, however, colleges and universities need to be - here's a clue - educational institutions where athletes are primarily students and not the other way around. IMHO.
crowly

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

Fire London and Littlepage what complete jokes they are.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

With the rats jumping ship London might as well save himself the trouble and step off the stern too. He be gone the end of next year too.
The Count

Hardy, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

I can't believe the racist comments from such a liberal town. London should stay on at UVA. That's what this country stands for now - rewarding ineptitude. Face it that's why we voted for Obama, to reward his incompetence with another term.
Wanda

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

E Marshallbuckles wrote:
Jim Reid is a great coach and a nice guy too. The thing here is that UVA has academic standards and the athletes are students first unlike other universities, I could name, where the athletes are athletes who get by and then leave when their eligibility is done. Of course, it probably won't happen in my lifetime, however, colleges and universities need to be - here's a clue - educational institutions where athletes are primarily students and not the other way around. IMHO.
I agree 100%. Most student athletes will never earn a paycheck after graduation from the sport played in college unless they become a coach or work in a related field. Sports bragging rights are great, but turning out jocks who can't put together a coherent or well worded comment when being interviewed is a total embarassment. Some athletes, after that all important big win, make a mockery of what should be the primary purpose of a college, to educate every student, including athletes.
Liberalace

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

E Marshallbuckles wrote:
Ugh...that "academic standards" B.S. is such fantasy tripe. Tutoring, easy courses, greasing skids for players, more tutoring, looking the other way regarding the Honor Code, etc. all goes on at UVa. I love the locals who excuse the athletic ineptitude by saying we recruit Mensa members to play football, so we cannot expect much on the field. Tech is not the only school we lost to this year.

R.I.P.: Big Pun
Not a Lib

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

QB not AB
Super Gus

Hardy, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Not a Lib wrote:
QB not AB
You state that athletes skirt by the Honor Code and are not held accountable. Can you provide an example? Or are you just spewing liberal rhetoric again?

I served on the Honor Committee and on more than several occasions athletes were held accountable for their actions.
nova62

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

It seems to me that the problem is from the top down. How many more seasons of disasterous coaching is UVA Athletics going to allow? Coach London needs to take a hard look at himself before casting stones!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Charlottesville Discussions

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlottesville is Happy Tue Dick Hurtz 1
Review: Bellair Cleaning Services Jul 20 Harry Balls_n_Busta Nut 2
Albemarle seeks input on changing rules for rur... Jul 17 bulk 2
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
Two Men Charged in Connection with Double Stabb... Jul 14 Shane 1
UPDATED: Sheriff's Office Investigating Disappe... Jul 14 Robin Floyd 1
Stabbing Sends Man to the Hospital - NBC29 WVIR... (Aug '11) Jul 14 Anonymous 15
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••