Home Burglary Increase in Albemarle

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Albemarle county police are noticing a disturbing trend. They say they're seeing a spike in home burglaries throughout the county.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Concerned

Elkton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

48 burglaries in just over a month? I'd say thats more than a disturbing trend!
Guardian

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

That's because all the cops are somewhere running radar, got to get that $$$$$.
french dip

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

The best protection ia a loaded 45ACP with 230 grain bullets. Better stopping power than a 9mm or a 38Special!
Vic

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Maybe its time to patrol neighborhoods on a regular beat instead of saturating Hwy 29 and Rio Rd with speeding ticket authors.
Vic

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

french dip wrote:
The best protection ia a loaded 45ACP with 230 grain bullets. Better stopping power than a 9mm or a 38Special!
Check out Kahr arms. I like their .40, its a lightweight with enough of a handgrip so you can actually shoot with accuracy about 3 times per second.

I agree with you 9mm and 38 are better than nothing, but might leave you in danger.

For denfending the fort, I also keep an old-timey 12-guage for infiltrators if they actually get in.
citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

french dip wrote:
Only if you are home when the "downtown utes at risk" call on you.
edd

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Put duct tape on fish hooks and position them near the window latches, locks, light switches and door knobs.

When the simian's paw starts searching for a way to get in he will be easy to recognize in the emergency room and the police won't have to ask us to call Crime Solvers to give THEM clues.
Crozetbob

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Love thy neighbor, then steal his sh-t.

Since: Aug 10

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Vic wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 9mm and 38 are better than nothing, but might leave you in danger.
For denfending the fort, I also keep an old-timey 12-guage for infiltrators if they actually get in.
A well placed shot practically negates the caliber you are using. Still, as long as you can hit your target, I'll tell you that a 9mm with the proper loadout (147 grain JHP's in my case) WILL do the trick! Shoot a canteloupe from 10-15 paces away and see the damage these cause, particularly the exit wound. Guarantee you it will stop any bad guy from doing whatever he's doing...

That being said, definitely can't argue with the shotgun :-)
citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

It sounds like these guys are mobile and on the lookout for an empty house. Keep a pile of papers on the front porch to prove the occupants are away.

So have your retired friend stay in your house when you go to work. Make sure all the cars are gone and the house looks inviting. Then, when they break in you can test your new hand loads and do us all a favor by eliminating one or more of the bar association's profit centers.

A double head tap always shows sincerity.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Women who live alone, go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill store and buy the largest size work boots you can find, drag them through a little mud and keep them beside your doors. This is just a small suggestion, and I really like edd's idea of using the fish hooks and duct tape. I might even try that one myself!
lord

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

I believe that there is no better home protection device than a twelve gauge pump action shotgun, but above all, when you are not home to use your shotgun make sure it is securely locked away so it doesn't end up in criminal hands.
I remember a lady who was a medical doctor and after losing her purse with her I.D. and keys to muggers, her car was stolen from in front of her house (she had taken the precaution of changing the locks on the house immediately). Fearing for his mother's safety, her adult son provided her with a well used body outline pistol target to place in the window of the storm door. She had no further problems.
citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Years ago a friend of mine had his pickup broken into several times.

He solved the problem instead of "addressing it."

On a warm summer day he left a large gift wrapped box on the front seat. Airholes on the side and a lid that came off easily enabled air to circulate freely in and out of the box.

The next morning he got up and saw that the box was gone from his front seat.

Along with the two large copperheads that were inside it.
citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

I hear that our "utes at risk" love to steal guns and sell them to get drug money.

This is the ten per cent of the population that our courts and police spend ninety per cent of their time on and a FORTUNE of your tax dollars.

Let us give something "back" to those that so many delusional types moan for around here.

A friend of mine is a hand loader and he leaves a gun in plain sight when he goes away---he lives alone so he has no worries about family. The gun has double, if not triple charged brass! Problem solved---not addressed.

The man is a visionary.
citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

lord wrote:
I believe that there is no better home protection device than a twelve gauge pump action shotgun, but above all, when you are not home to use your shotgun make sure it is securely locked away so it doesn't end up in criminal hands.
I remember a lady who was a medical doctor and after losing her purse with her I.D. and keys to muggers, her car was stolen from in front of her house (she had taken the precaution of changing the locks on the house immediately). Fearing for his mother's safety, her adult son provided her with a well used body outline pistol target to place in the window of the storm door. She had no further problems.
The vast majority of break ins are done by young men that live within a half mile of your home. This is pretty universal. They watch for patterns in your presence. They know that you can't be home all the time. But then again the fish hooks can be silent sentinels that work for you while you are gone. Try to logically think how someone would break glass or force a lock and place the hooks accordingly. This tactic works best for those that live alone unless your family is old enough to join in the fun without catching themselves!

Duct tape and fish hooks---a reality game that anyone can play.
citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

When the missing chromosomers break into your house the first thing they go for is your medicine cabinet to search for pain killers. So keep the now unused plastic bottle of pain meds and replace the contents with a different pill that very closely resembles the real thing.

Now there is a clinical trial that may further the cause of medical research.

Since: Aug 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

citizen wrote:
The gun has double, if not triple charged brass! Problem solved---not addressed.
The man is a visionary.
Love it!
citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

All this talk about firearms is most amusing but the fact is these toads go to great lengths to avoid an armed citizen so the chances of using your baby are most remote at best. I have seen surveillance videos where the guys walked up to the front door and knocked on it, pretending to be looking for an old friend. They will make sure the place is empty before they take out their little prybar and force up the bottom glass pane in your storm door so that they can go to work on the main door. When they knock out the glass in my door's window they will start feeling around for the knob lock, chain lock, light switch, etcetera, and that is when they meet Mister surgically sharp fish hook.

You owe it to them.
tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

In my neighborhood the skateboarders and bicyclists scout out the unoccupied houses for their older brothers and friends that are in the gangs.
Diana

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Our police work hard. I'm glad the incidents are being investigated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Charlottesville Discussions

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) 8 hr James 2,541
Review: L and R Landscaping & Tree Service 16 hr Unhappy Customer 1
GA Considers Making Smoking in Car with Kids Il... (Dec '12) Fri Ho Lee Chyt 88
Officer James Jul 9 freedom14 1
44 kids died in hot cars in 2013 Jul 5 Too Busy 1
Report: VA Ranked 5th Worst State for Dumping T... Jul 1 Seriously 1
Nixon out of jai!? - Why? Someone please explain (Apr '09) Jun 28 MATT 13
•••
•••
•••
Charlottesville Dating

more search filters

less search filters