Augusta Schools Pull for Tax Increase to Raise Staff Pay

School board members are asking for an additional $2.5 million from the county to maintain full health benefits for their part-time workers among other things. Full Story
George S

Hartselle, AL

#1 Mar 28, 2013
Step one: utterly fail to properly educate the students.

Step two: tax them into the poorhouse, to ensure the teachers can maintain their lifestyle.
WhoKnew

Waynesboro, VA

#2 Mar 28, 2013
Where's all of that wonderful lottery money that is suppose to help VA schools???
RSWALLA0214

Staunton, VA

#3 Mar 28, 2013
I work for a neighboring locality and we haven't had a raise in a long time, but the county wants to raise taxes simply to give employees a raise and give part time employees FULL health care benefits? WTF?
KidsFirst

Deerfield, VA

#4 Mar 28, 2013
A career switcher, I became a teacher after subbing for the county and seeing the difference our Augusta County teachers make.
With cutbacks, it took two years for me to gain a position. Now, totally invested in my classroom and students, I go to bed wondering if I will have a job this fall. I spend my own money for students' supplies and work from 6:45am until almost 8pm every day in order to provide my students with the best education I can give them. Lack of funding equates to fewer teachers, larger classrooms, and poorer quality education.
If the county wants to attract new businesses and families to our area, we must look at the big picture...Who would want to bring their children into a district with poor, over-crowded schools? Additionally, if we do not show our students that their community values schools, how can we expect them to care about their own education? We need to look at our children and do the right thing for their future.
just a idea

Washington, DC

#5 Mar 28, 2013
Why does the homeowner always have to carry all the load? How about putting a tax that everbody has to pay.Even the deadbeats that wants to make a living off of the state will have to pay.But you know thats not going to happen,our good supervisors are scared to death that if they would do something like that they wouldnt get relected.Com e on supervisors do something right onetime.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#6 Mar 28, 2013
Wages have stagnated for years in this country, except for the rich. So when a plan to raise wages comes forth everyone complains because they don't want to pay for it. Can't have it both ways.
Dave

Washington, DC

#7 Mar 28, 2013
After seeing this story, I was seeing RED, why is it that the county and the local school boards can't live on a budget like the rest of us do. I already pay Augusta Co, a total of $1,188.00 real estate tax, and $964.00 and year in personal property , which I don't mind, but enough is enough, I don't have kids in school and I understand that the county must tax us to keep the schools open. But for the school board to have to nerve to ask for 2.5 million more at this time, in the US economy is just stupid and crazy. What nerve!! If the school board can not make it on what they are given, then find other people to sit on the board. To even concider asking us the Augusta Co tax payer for more money, will they know where they can go! The economy is in the crapper and everybody knows it, except for some people.. Learn to live with out asking your next door neighbor to pay for it. I'm happy and I'm glad that we have the nice and wonderful people. who take the kids to and from school and for the extra help that some teachers have in their classrooms(teacher aids), but if they are finding it hard to live on their income, then find another job. That's what you do. I use to work two jobs, and I retired 16 years ago and I live very nicely now and thank God, I don't have to worry about money, But don't ask me for more money..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm horny as hell Oct 10 Forever_Angel 1
Waynesboro Police Investigate Fishburne Militar... (Oct '12) Oct 8 Ringer 26
Missing UVA Student Oct 6 WingMan 15
Voices: Hannah Graham. It could have been us. Oct 2 William 2
Suspect in Hannah Graham Disappearance Tied to ... Oct 1 Max 3
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) Oct 1 Heatherstamper 5
jobs that dont piss test in crozet Sep 30 whoopondahoot 1
Charlottesville Dating
Find my Match

Charlottesville Jobs