Man Shot While Serving on President's...

Man Shot While Serving on President's Gun Violence Commission

There are 50 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from May 9, 2013, titled Man Shot While Serving on President's Gun Violence Commission. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A Fluvanna County man is recovering from gunshot wounds at the University of Virginia Medical Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

posumcop

Herndon, VA

#22 May 16, 2013
huck wrote:
douchette
Touche'??
Jaded

Mineral, VA

#23 May 16, 2013
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
The reason this man was shot is not because someone simply had a gun. It is due to the culture of violence that the thugs that shot him subscribe to. People like that feel it is okay to just open fire on a car, bystanders be damned, if someone in that car just offended you, or lives a few streets away, so they are automatically a "rival gang member."
If you want to stop inner-city gun violence, you need to stop the problem of young people becoming romanticized by the idea of violence and using weapons to "be a man". You need to have leaders in those communities stand up and declare a war on gangs, drugs and the violence that is tearing that community apart.
I don't know how this whole idea of it's cool and hip to kill and injure people walking down the street came from, but it's the reason so many people are the victims of gun violence.
Right on. Banning rap music would do more to curb gun violence than banning any kind of weapon. Anyone who denies that is just a complete idiot. The culture of violence and thuggery surrounding the hip hop community is a massive contributor to the problem, but since it's not PC nobody in DC will discuss it...
Paul D

Greensboro, NC

#24 May 16, 2013
Suuure he did.....we'll find out he shot himself to forward his agenda within 2 weeks. Then he'll cry 'Just because I staged it takes nothing away from the existence of a gun problem'.
WahooPatriot

Waynesboro, VA

#25 May 16, 2013
I am sorry that this gentleman was injured and hope that he recovers 100%. I used to spend a lot of time in DC, but will not go there now because I have to disarm to cross the river. This, to me, is nuts. This shooting situation is further proof of of the folly of gullible people following power hungry politicians like Obama. Obama has no interest in violence control, but only people control. You can see it in every action that he has taken since his college days. He is a great manipulator. The fact that there are still millions of Americans who still support him tells you all you need to know about the level of intelligence and critical thinking skills of the population.It is a shame that this gentleman took a degree from UVa. but received only indoctrination rather than education.
“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin
posumcop

Herndon, VA

#26 May 16, 2013
Civil Discourse wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, Huck! I respect Greg Jackson for his commitment to join in this difficult work.
When law-abiding gun owners agree to common-sense prevention measures, ie. universal background checks, mandatory reporting of lost or stolen guns, etc, we'll see less availability of guns for the criminal. If a gun owner has nothing to hide, he/she should'nt mind these measures.
Most law-abiding gun owners have undergone background checks. Most law-abiding gun owners report lost guns (insurance) or stolen guns (insurance and police).(Dang it....a pesky fact!)

No criminals undergo background checks to obtain their firearms. No criminal reports their lost firearm nor do they report any firearm stolen by them or stolen from them by another criminal.(Dang it...a pesky fact!)

Law-abiding gun owners may or may not have something to hide...just like non gun owners....either way people are not compelled to relinquish their constitutional rights just because you say so.(Dang it....a pesky fact!)
Justin

United States

#28 May 16, 2013
"...During the early morning hours of Sunday, April 21, Jackson was shot. He had spent Saturday night out in northwest Washington D.C. with his friends for a cousin's bachelor party. They were near a strip of bars and clubs in D.C. near the convention center when they noticed an altercation about a half a block away..."

There is nothing ironic about getting oneself shot while hanging out in front of a D.C. strip club.

Getting shot while attending an NRA convention would perhaps be ironic, but that doesn't happen. NRA members are law abiding and don't shoot people unless their home gets broken into or their business is being robbed.
Justin

United States

#29 May 16, 2013
I'll bet the car driven by the shooter has an "Obama 2012" bumper sticker.

It sure as hell wouldn't have a Romney or NRA bumper sticker.
hondacivic

Charlottesville, VA

#31 May 16, 2013
Justin wrote:
"...During the early morning hours of Sunday, April 21, Jackson was shot. He had spent Saturday night out in northwest Washington D.C. with his friends for a cousin's bachelor party. They were near a strip of bars and clubs in D.C. near the convention center when they noticed an altercation about a half a block away..."
There is nothing ironic about getting oneself shot while hanging out in front of a D.C. strip club.
Getting shot while attending an NRA convention would perhaps be ironic, but that doesn't happen. NRA members are law abiding and don't shoot people unless their home gets broken into or their business is being robbed.
What's even more ironic is not being able to read even after quoting it. It says he was near a strip of bars and clubs. The strip meaning a row of bars and clubs. It doesn't not say a strip club.
hondacivic

Charlottesville, VA

#32 May 16, 2013
Justin wrote:
I'll bet the car driven by the shooter has an "Obama 2012" bumper sticker.
It sure as hell wouldn't have a Romney or NRA bumper sticker.
It is even more fun to just make accusations and make stuff up just for the sake of making a statement. We'll just stereotype everyone. It's so fun.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#33 May 16, 2013
hondacivic wrote:
<quoted text>
What's even more ironic is not being able to read even after quoting it.
Sigh...
god-fearer

Palmyra, VA

#35 May 16, 2013
NOT a single one of you gun advocates have listed gun owner responsibilities that come with the rights.

MY family is not at all concerned with WHAT guns you own, HOW MANY, etc. WE ARE ONLY truly concerned with RESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP.

But not a single one of you can list your responsibilities. Why?

Where is the published list of gun owner responsibilities?

For example, MOST - 60% or more!- of gun deaths are SUICIDE, not HOMICIDE. So what are gun owner's responsibility if her gun is used for suicide? Suicide costs famiiles, workplaces, and society a lot of money: EMT, hospital, police and other response costs; workforce costs; etc.

Not to mention costs of gun MISHAPS (from poor storage, poor handling, etc)

Where is the list of responsibilties, and the list of WHO PAYS!?

We are sick and tired of PAYING for ir-responsible gun owners. Not to mention anyone who smokes cigarettes, anyone who drive under the influence, etc.
posumcop

Herndon, VA

#36 May 16, 2013
god-fearer wrote:
NOT a single one of you gun advocates have listed gun owner responsibilities that come with the rights.
MY family is not at all concerned with WHAT guns you own, HOW MANY, etc. WE ARE ONLY truly concerned with RESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP.
But not a single one of you can list your responsibilities. Why?
Where is the published list of gun owner responsibilities?
For example, MOST - 60% or more!- of gun deaths are SUICIDE, not HOMICIDE. So what are gun owner's responsibility if her gun is used for suicide? Suicide costs famiiles, workplaces, and society a lot of money: EMT, hospital, police and other response costs; workforce costs; etc.
Not to mention costs of gun MISHAPS (from poor storage, poor handling, etc)
Where is the list of responsibilties, and the list of WHO PAYS!?
We are sick and tired of PAYING for ir-responsible gun owners. Not to mention anyone who smokes cigarettes, anyone who drive under the influence, etc.
Responsibility #1: Hit your target.

Responsibility #2: I will be responsible for myself and my family.

Responsibility #3: You be responsible for yourself and your family.
Just my opinion

Richmond, VA

#38 May 16, 2013
So.. what they are saying is... The gun control laws in DC did not keep some thug from shooting this man?!?!? That was sarcasm. Hope he has a full recovery.
E-ville

Charlottesville, VA

#39 May 16, 2013
But....but....but....THEY HAVE STRICT GUN CONTROL IN DC!!!!
How could this have happened?
4justice

Charlottesville, VA

#40 May 16, 2013
jamal jackson

Richmond, VA

#41 May 16, 2013
yo dat be wacked up, i bet he be bangin in his spair time, i feal sorrie for boo. be strong u n our prayirs
hondacivic

Charlottesville, VA

#42 May 16, 2013
Jaded wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on. Banning rap music would do more to curb gun violence than banning any kind of weapon. Anyone who denies that is just a complete idiot. The culture of violence and thuggery surrounding the hip hop community is a massive contributor to the problem, but since it's not PC nobody in DC will discuss it...
You might have a valid point if it was the 1990's. Rap music has changed greatly since the 90's. Anyone who denies this is just a complete idiot.

So you arguement for defending the second amendment is to slam the first amendment?
Traffic Alert

Derwood, MD

#43 May 16, 2013
Not lovin' that headline, it makes it sound like there was a shoot-out in some conference room.
How about:
"Local Gun Banner Shot In D.C. Where Guns Are Already Banned."
Justin

United States

#44 May 16, 2013
hondacivic wrote:
<quoted text>
What's even more ironic is not being able to read even after quoting it. It says he was near a strip of bars and clubs. The strip meaning a row of bars and clubs. It doesn't not say a strip club.
You're right, it really doesn't matter if they were hanging out in front of a strip club or Denny's. It was downtown D.C. late at night; that's all it takes to get shot.
WVU

Purcellville, VA

#45 May 16, 2013
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, it really doesn't matter if they were hanging out in front of a strip club or Denny's. It was downtown D.C. late at night; that's all it takes to get shot.
How True, I live in Northern Va and worked in DC for years. Going to DC at night is a roll of the dice. Amazing how many people are shot in a city that is a gun free zone.
If I want night life I go to Arlington or the Alexandria Riverfront area. Both are extremely safe and neither are gun free. The Potomac is like a river that divides two countries.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Under fire - from GOP - Trump digs in on Confed... 31 min anonymous 55
TRUMP has got to go. 46 min You are a Loser 22
General Lee butt hole was loose 59 min Proud Yankee 22
News Maine gov: Removing statues like losing 9/11 me... 2 hr Proud Yankee 2
News One dead after car plows into group of proteste... 5 hr Cordwainer Trout 194
News Dems risk culture war fight in Charlottesville ... 5 hr Cordwainer Trout 8
News Citing Trump remarks, most of president's arts ... 7 hr Ms Sassy 4

Charlottesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages