Albemarle Schools Stress Safety, Secu...

Albemarle Schools Stress Safety, Security after Shooting - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, S...

There are 54 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Dec 17, 2012, titled Albemarle Schools Stress Safety, Security after Shooting - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, S.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Monday was the first day of classes across the country since the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Justin

Harrisonburg, VA

#2 Dec 17, 2012
Look up your state legislators at http://virginiageneralassembly.gov/
YdueEye

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Dec 17, 2012
Let us not forget RWANDA where 500,000 people were murdered in 100 days through the use of machete's. Firearms were not involved, but it would have been nice if these victims had a firearm to protect their families and friends from these murderers. Obama boasts of violence through the use of a firearm to any suitor that thinks of disrespecting his daughters yet he denies these same effective and equalizing rights to the common man and woman, janitor, teacher, or principle, and the children they are responsible for.
Down with Lubs

United States

#4 Dec 17, 2012
When will our kids be safe from bad teachers and liberals, but I repeat myself.
defensive one

United States

#5 Dec 17, 2012
At present our own Representative [Mr Warner] is already putting his emotion before clear concise thinking. This is a social problem not a gun problem. Social problem number one defenseless schools trusting that every one will volunteer to leave there guns at the door. Some how I do not think this nut case considered that.
One of the key aspects most are forgetting is the lack of defense at these schools. In the case of Newtown a lock on the door which was easy to evade was a definite false sense of security. This followed by 10 minutes of incomprehensible violence before law enforcement personnel arrived while key administrative personnel were gunned down in the first few minutes. Just think what a stronger door might do? A few more lives saved. What if there were several sets of stronger doors? A few more minutes a few more lives saved. Add additional training for all staff and drills for the students and you are further ahead. Then to top it off provide the staff ways to further defend themselves and the students i.e. weapons. Now do not jump to conclusions since there are options which do not necessarily mean fire arms but possibly other widely used non lethal means. In other words the police are minutes away when seconds count.
The other thing that many seem to forget is no matter what gun laws are passed they will be broken by the criminals. Thus social problem number two is created with gun control; another false sense of security because legal measures will only be followed by the law abiding. The criminals will still obtain guns thus the politicians will only be fooling themselves and their blinded constituents. And these same tragic events will still take place.
Rex

Ardsley, NY

#6 Dec 17, 2012
The media said the Adam Lanza had asperger syndrome. So maybe they need to take a look at the mental health of people, besides the usage of guns.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Dec 17, 2012
defensive one wrote:
This is a social problem not a gun problem. Social problem number one defenseless schools trusting that every one will volunteer to leave there guns at the door. Some how I do not think this nut case considered that.
One of the key aspects most are forgetting is the lack of defense at these schools. In the case of Newtown a lock on the door which was easy to evade was a definite false sense of security. This followed by 10 minutes of incomprehensible violence before law enforcement personnel arrived while key administrative personnel were gunned down in the first few minutes. Just think what a stronger door might do? A few more lives saved. What if there were several sets of stronger doors? A few more minutes a few more lives saved. Add additional training for all staff and drills for the students and you are further ahead. Then to top it off provide the staff ways to further defend themselves and the students i.e. weapons. Now do not jump to conclusions since there are options which do not necessarily mean fire arms but possibly other widely used non lethal means. In other words the police are minutes away when seconds count.
why cowboy up?

just ban assault weapons and high capacity clips...for starters

then, just like obamacare, with its foot in the door, we can move on to more meaningful measures
Guardian

Palmyra, VA

#8 Dec 17, 2012
If you can put a man with a gun in every bank in this country, why not every school. Show me a bank without a guard, I'll show you a bank that will get robbed. Focus on the real issue, safety of the children in our schools. The gun grabbers have their agenda, and the parents of school age children should have theirs. Using the deaths of these children in an attempt to further gun confiscation in this country is disgusting.
Townie

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Dec 18, 2012
As I see it, the common denominator in so many senseless killings is the lack of effective therapy for those with mental health issues such as aspergers syndrome. Medication(s)only suppress the kind of rage that turns into a killing spree, they don't touch the fundamental problem of emotional intelligence and dysregulation. This can be done using behavioral therapy, but it's something not covered by insurers, including Medicaid.

Unfortunately it's cheaper to pass out pills, or ban guns, than it is to provide effective mental health treatment. At the same time it's easier to obtain an assault rifle than mental health treatment.

The reality is that people with high functioning aspergers are quite capable of building bombs, or mixing up a batch of deadly nerve gas, both of which can produce many more casualties than an assault rifle.

I am deeply saddened by the loss of those precious angels, and the adults killed at Sandy Hook. It's only natural to look for a 'quick fix' to the problem of violence, and banning guns does seem to make sense on the surface.

Do we have the political will to make effective mental health treatment a national priority? Perhaps this horrible crime will be the catalyst for change in the availability of mental health treatment.

Citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Dec 18, 2012
Guns don't kill. Crazy people do. This sicko would have found a way to do harm regardless.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Dec 18, 2012
Townie wrote:
Do we have the political will to make effective mental health treatment a national priority? Perhaps this horrible crime will be the catalyst for change in the availability of mental health treatment.
With an incident like this and public clamoring for it, you can probably get the gop to grudgingly vote to pass some bills, but sure as shootin' you won't get them to fund 'em.
JL GotRocks

Richmond, VA

#12 Dec 18, 2012
Citizen wrote:
Guns don't kill. Crazy people do. This sicko would have found a way to do harm regardless.
I agree that the U.S. needs mental health care now. When Reagan cut funding for the mental institutions in the 80s, it unleashed unstable people out onto the streets. For our safety and theirs, we need a system to provide care (locked-up in-house care or outpatient counseling care) for those who suffer from these kinds of disabilities. Currently, we expect the jails to do that - and only after they have hurt someone. That's not an efficient or safe answer to the problem.

In response to Citizen, though, yes, he may have stabbed one or two people before being wrestled to the ground or chased away. But with a semiautomatic rifle, he was able to slaughter child after child.

We can have guns for hunting and for home protection, but they do not need to be semiautomatic assault rifles with mega-clips full of ammo. Not needed. Not necessary. Too easy for the mentally deranged to get. A sensible compromise is needed.
JL GotRocks

Richmond, VA

#13 Dec 18, 2012
Townie wrote:
As I see it, the common denominator in so many senseless killings is the lack of effective therapy for those with mental health issues such as aspergers syndrome.
Totally agree. It's a safety issue, and it's a moral issue. We should be able to talk about mental health care and figure out some solutions so that tragedies like these become as rare as possible.
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Dec 18, 2012
JL GotRocks wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree. It's a safety issue, and it's a moral issue. We should be able to talk about mental health care and figure out some solutions so that tragedies like these become as rare as possible.
Not to mention that it's also a gross lack of preparation. Check this article out, it's perhaps the most common sense thing I've yet to hear:

http://www.policeone.com/active-shooter/artic...
Guardian

Palmyra, VA

#15 Dec 18, 2012
JL GotRocks wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that the U.S. needs mental health care now. When Reagan cut funding for the mental institutions in the 80s, it unleashed unstable people out onto the streets. For our safety and theirs, we need a system to provide care (locked-up in-house care or outpatient counseling care) for those who suffer from these kinds of disabilities. Currently, we expect the jails to do that - and only after they have hurt someone. That's not an efficient or safe answer to the problem.
In response to Citizen, though, yes, he may have stabbed one or two people before being wrestled to the ground or chased away. But with a semiautomatic rifle, he was able to slaughter child after child.
We can have guns for hunting and for home protection, but they do not need to be semiautomatic assault rifles with mega-clips full of ammo. Not needed. Not necessary. Too easy for the mentally deranged to get. A sensible compromise is needed.
Would it make you feel better if he had 10 rounds and reloaded twice to shoot children hiding in a classroom? The argument is as insane as the individual that murdered these children. Every weapon that can cause death is by definition a deadly weapon. Every weapon used to commit an assault on another is an assault weapon by definition. There can be no compromise with those that seek their version final solution, which is a total ban on firearms, and have already admitted publicly they eventually want a total confiscation of ALL firearms in possession of private citizens in this country, period.
cville mom

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Dec 18, 2012
Guardian wrote:
If you can put a man with a gun in every bank in this country, why not every school. Show me a bank without a guard, I'll show you a bank that will get robbed. Focus on the real issue, safety of the children in our schools. The gun grabbers have their agenda, and the parents of school age children should have theirs. Using the deaths of these children in an attempt to further gun confiscation in this country is disgusting.
Still a lot of bank robberies happening. A lot of guards getting shot in the process.
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Dec 18, 2012
cville mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Still a lot of bank robberies happening. A lot of guards getting shot in the process.
Different motivation. Bank robbers want money and don't blow their brains out the second the cops show up. School shooters are looking for power, control, and fame. They're cowards who self destruct the second they are confronted.

I refer you to the article I posted earlier: http://www.policeone.com/police-products/body...
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Dec 18, 2012
It is obvious now that we as a species do not act responcibly around guns, how many more kids have to die for this to become obvious? Other nations have figures this out and have taken strides to protect the innocent. We haven't. We still want to act like cowboys caring only about ourselves the heck with our neigbor. So much for Christianity. Its discusting how individuals in this country only care about themselves, but thats why we deal with all the other problems this country has, its me first and .... my neighbor.
cville mom

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Dec 18, 2012
Andrew wrote:
<quoted text>
Different motivation. Bank robbers want money and don't blow their brains out the second the cops show up. School shooters are looking for power, control, and fame. They're cowards who self destruct the second they are confronted.
I refer you to the article I posted earlier: http://www.policeone.com/police-products/body...
the motivation is not the issue. The issue is that having an armed guard often doesn't prevent anything and often just provides another victim.
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Dec 18, 2012
cville mom wrote:
<quoted text>
the motivation is not the issue. The issue is that having an armed guard often doesn't prevent anything and often just provides another victim.
Read the article, please.
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Dec 18, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Statue Vote is Racists May 21 Uber-bro of the u... 3
News Charlottesville businessman who admitted to ste... May 19 bert 2
Cville Vice Mayor: Convicted criminal, racist, ... May 16 bulk 2
News Former Bus Driver Charged with Indecent Liberti... (May '13) May 8 Gbc 44
Help an Aspiring Charlottesville Author and Ge... May 7 BillyDeCarlo 1
News CRCC to Meet with Congressional Leaders May 2 Morris 1
News Fluvanna Parents Petition Supervisors for Schoo... (Mar '13) Apr 30 Curtis 74

Charlottesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages