Albemarle Supervisors Approve Red Light Cams

Red light cameras will be installed at three major intersections in Albemarle County. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Duh

Palmyra, VA

#1 Aug 5, 2009
Should have happened a long time ago! Lives could have been saved. I hope they throw the book at them too. Too many fools get away with too much.
Crozet Bob

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Aug 5, 2009
Expect to see a lot more of this folks.
Small town

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Aug 5, 2009
Nice. Big Brother is watching.
Tracy

Montpelier, VA

#4 Aug 5, 2009
Has anyone considered that with Charlottesville's road problems, if people do not run red lights at these intersections, our traffic problems at 5PM would be so much worse? I'm all for cameras if they are installed once the roads are constructed to handle the amount of traffic. I use these intersections frequently and the opportunity to contest this based on the traffic pile ups in these areas sounds very appealing to me. Maybe I'll be the first to get the chance...
Will

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Aug 5, 2009
I would like to know where in the budget are they going to get 4500/mth per camera which amounts to $162,000/year.If the local police would patrol these areas more maybe there would not be so much running of lights,besides I have never seen a place that has so many drivers with no courtesy for anyone else on the road,no one around here even knows how to use a turn signal.
frmr

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Aug 5, 2009
I hope they will set the green and yellow lights longer at these intersections. There is not enough time to get through if you are the second car in line AND the light is green when you start into the intersection.
Jeanne

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Aug 5, 2009
Major KUDOS to the Board of Supervisors for taking this step in the interest of Public Safety for ALL of us! We have far too, too many folks who have become way too careless in their daily driving habits at the expense of lives and life altering injuries to all sharing the roads.

Since: Jun 09

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Aug 5, 2009
frmr wrote:
I hope they will set the green and yellow lights longer at these intersections. There is not enough time to get through if you are the second car in line AND the light is green when you start into the intersection.
But if they do that how will they issue tickets?? No tickets no money.
Zero Tolerance

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Aug 5, 2009
RIGHT ON!!!!
Rod

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Aug 5, 2009
I hope to attend a few court hearings stemming from the use of these cameras. If the defense reasoning is similar to the reasons many people give for opposing these cameras (not necessarily this site),
it will be a hilarious experience. I opine any competent lawyer will probably not set them forth; but citizens arguments will be worth noting.

I hope, in some way, this law strengthens enforcement of other common violations such as speeding, no turn signal, lane violations, etc.

I expect things will settle down after the initial scofflaw furor.
James

Keswick, VA

#11 Aug 5, 2009
The cameras actually make the intersections more dangerous because people slam on the brakes when the light turns yellow and the cars behind them don't have enough time to stop. Also, a lot of cities actually shorten the time of yellow lights to add more revenue.
Townie

Waynesboro, VA

#12 Aug 5, 2009
The only problem is this system seems to have no teeth. From what I understand from a Board member, the tickets are mailed but there are no sanctions if the fines aren't paid. I guess its only as good as the number of fools that pay the fine and don't research it aforehand.
Billy

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Aug 5, 2009
I wonder how long it will be before some uses the fake license plate to get a ticket sent to one of the supervisors. They do it all the time in Marlboro, MD. They make a lic plate with paper to look like a real one and tape it over the real lic. After running the red light, the stop and ripe it off.
albanach

Henry, VA

#14 Aug 5, 2009
frmr wrote:
There is not enough time to get through if you are the second car in line AND the light is green when you start into the intersection.
You will NOT get a ticket if you enter on green - you entered the intersection legally. The cameras take two photos to demonstrate when you entered and where you were when the light turned red.
albanach

Henry, VA

#15 Aug 5, 2009
James wrote:
The cameras actually make the intersections more dangerous because people slam on the brakes when the light turns yellow and the cars behind them don't have enough time to stop.
Then the person behind is going too fast, will get a ticket and their insurance premium will increase.
Also, a lot of cities actually shorten the time of yellow lights to add more revenue.
This would be my only objection. Still it's very easy to establish what the interval at amber is today and compare it after the lights are installed.
Albert

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Aug 5, 2009
Sickening. It won't be $50 either. It'll be $50 plus processing fee of $95. Then they'll decide, hey, this is making great money. Let's install speed cameras too. What about bicycle licenses? Just how much cash can we ream out of our fellow citizens under the guise of "safety?" Jaywalking - unsafe, install a camera. Unless it shows a cop hitting a handicapped guy. We can erase that one.

Look, no one is advocating for recklessness or breaking the law. But once you start down the path of electronic policing, it's difficult to stop. Communities become addicted to the revenue. Three camera beget nine. Nine beget 81. And what was once a safety issue becomes a matter of electronic surveillance (not that they're already doing that at the NGIC, right?). I don't run red lights. So it doesn't affect me. But I guarantee you within 12 months, there will be more cameras and more excuses why we need to expand police surveillance. Watering during a drought? Too many dogs in the yard? House not up to code? And on and on it goes.
citizen

Henry, VA

#17 Aug 5, 2009
Americans have changed. In the past they did not yearn to have a boot on the back of their neck, now they seem to love the idea. If a person runs a red light a police car can pull them over. Then, they have to pay the money-----which, apparently, they don't have to do if a camera mails them their ticket. If Albemarle needs a revenue ploy they should be honest about the situation so that the money is collected without everybody's face, license plate, and whatever else being collected in the data banks. This is so typical of the white liberal mindset-----penalize all in order to punish the few! We have plenty of police around here and they should be used to ticket the red light runners without trying to empower the Board of Supervisors to become George Orwell. Wake up people. This is yet another yuppie wannabe "feel good about ourselves" ploy that is NOT in the public interest. Police roadblocks have done wonders to curtail the drunk drivers everyone used to moan about---they can do the same for the two or three intersections so many now flagellate themselves over. The people around here often look like Shiite tribesmen who can't wait to whip themselves over a small excuse. We have already paid for the police---they are here, trained, ready to go, and their tickets can't be ignored by the red light runners.
David

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Aug 5, 2009
I agree with the upthread poster who said that this is the first step on a teflon slope sprayed with WD-40. There will be cameras everywhere....go research what's happened in Great Britain. If they know these intersections are bad (which they are), then post a cop at the intersections during the busier times. A cop car sitting nearby does wonders to encourage responsible driving, while allowing for human judgment in the assessment of fines. To justify the cost at $50 per infraction, they would need to catch 90 violations a month per intersection. That's 3 a day. And if they have the "desired" effect of getting people to stop running the lights, then the revenue goes poof! Nothing good comes from this.
what

Eaton Rapids, MI

#19 Aug 5, 2009
Red light cameras DO NOT reduce accidents, they INCREASE accidents at the intersection. So accident reduction is not their purpose, rather the only reason for them is to increase revenue.
Many studies have proven that the cameras increase accidents at the intersections. One study a 2007 Virginia DOT Report Shows Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents
Guardian

Palmyra, VA

#20 Aug 6, 2009
"Safety is the issue and it overrides civil rights in my mind," said Grushon.

So a proposal is brought forth involving matters of safety, that you admit requires OVERIDING the citizens CIVIL RIGHTS and you voted for it anyway.......... that is truly enlightening.

I think our RIGHTS are being OVERRIDDEN in the name of profit...... not....... safety?

Gushon sounds like a prime candidate for leadership within Handgun Control Incorporated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlottesville City Council addresses city's h... Jan 22 Terrabyte 1
Dialogue on Race: Effectiveness of Protests in ... Jan 19 cops are liars an... 2
steve pritt Jan 12 crozet girl 4
Claudius Crozet the Engineer Jan 8 jax23willis 1
Massive Spike In Whites Setting Blacks On Fire Dec '14 Sam 2
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Dec '14 stuart Draft 6
Happy Holidays Dec '14 Stan0807 1
Charlottesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:00 am PST