Fluvanna School Board Votes to Furlou...

Fluvanna School Board Votes to Furlough Staff, Cut Own Salaries - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA ...

There are 115 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 7, 2012, titled Fluvanna School Board Votes to Furlough Staff, Cut Own Salaries - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA .... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Wednesday night, the Fluvanna County School Board decided on cut to help bridge a $300,000 budget gap.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Not enough

Hiram, GA

#1 Nov 7, 2012
2% of $3,000 is not enough. . . . . . .
Fluvanna Native

Atlanta, GA

#3 Nov 8, 2012
Unfortunately, the budget is balanced on the paychecks of teachers. Teachers are not responsible for the fiscal mess in Fluvanna. Our children are not responsible, but they are being punished. It seems that there are bigger problems that need to be addressed. It is not a matter of giving a blank check to the school board; however, there needs to be more balance and more common sense in addressing county issues.
Kudos to Mrs. Mozell Booker for being a visionary and a supporter of education in Fluvanna. Children First...

Since: Jan 10

United States

#4 Nov 8, 2012
I am shocked that the staff was asked to bear the entire responsibility for someone else's mistakes.
Sherlock

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Nov 8, 2012
D Dee wrote:
I am shocked that the staff was asked to bear the entire responsibility for someone else's mistakes.
2%? Symbolic, not meaningful. Shameful.
SMH

United States

#6 Nov 8, 2012
Why is the board even being paid anything at all..????????
frmr

Troy, VA

#7 Nov 8, 2012
Do these changes cover the entire deficit?
CCC

Earlysville, VA

#8 Nov 8, 2012
The board and the school admin should all be fired. Just had to have that new school open this year. Taxes will be higher than Albemarle next year and the City within 5.
Insane

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Nov 8, 2012
This is insane to make the staff take the entire burden of this mess. It is an easy way out for them. But at the expense of our most valued resources, our teachers and the children in the long run. No one can say that the teachers will be the same today as they just found out they received pay decrease. Any employee, not matter what sector, will have a hard time dealing with this. I sure hope the word staff includes top level administrators as well as highly paid principals. These positions are where the real waste is, not the teachers folks.
Insane

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Nov 8, 2012
CCC wrote:
The board and the school admin should all be fired. Just had to have that new school open this year. Taxes will be higher than Albemarle next year and the City within 5.
The new school had to opened. A new building can not sit as it will cause issues when not in use and thus more repairs to open. Also, after the building is completed, there is something called a warranty that no one seems to understand. In this warranty, issues have to be addressed in a certain timeframe for the contractor to be responsible for the repair. So....if it is not occupied until the next year, guess whose responsible for the repairs.......you my friend, the tax payer. It's a little late to complain about the high school, it's done and occupied. Move on to where the cuts can be made.
god-fearer

Luray, VA

#11 Nov 8, 2012
CCC wrote:
FACTS are important: the Board is ELECTED. GET BUSY now to elect who you prefer. The Administration is hired by the Board. So, electing the Board you prefer might take care of that. BUT the ELECTED Supervisors have the purse and most of the planning authority. You'll need to ELECT Supervisors that you prefer.

Now, with the FACTS are you ready to do the hard work ahead?

Most Americans are lazy about elections (despite the great 75% turnout of registered voters on Tuesday! which was very unusual in Virginia: its usually below 50%).

Another FACT, we ELECT Governor, State Legislators next Fall: are you ready to do the hard work involved to ensure ELECTION of who you prefer. The STATE settles the overall budget which local counties and local schools and local teachers have to work with.

Are you ready? or will you wait to the last minute and get screwed again?
god-fearer

Luray, VA

#12 Nov 8, 2012
Insane wrote:
<quoted text>
The new school had to opened. A new building can not sit as it will cause issues when not in use and thus more repairs to open. Also, after the building is completed, there is something called a warranty that no one seems to understand. In this warranty, issues have to be addressed in a certain timeframe for the contractor to be responsible for the repair. So....if it is not occupied until the next year, guess whose responsible for the repairs.......you my friend, the tax payer. It's a little late to complain about the high school, it's done and occupied. Move on to where the cuts can be made.
FALSE FACTS! here!...

the set of all possible solutions are not reduced to 'cuts'. There are possibilities of planning and structuring school system, school year, school days. There are possibilities of revenues. etc

The TEA PARTY wants you to think that all and only solutions are 'cuts'

STOP FALSE FACTS!
Insane

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Nov 8, 2012
god-fearer wrote:
<quoted text>
FALSE FACTS! here!...
the set of all possible solutions are not reduced to 'cuts'. There are possibilities of planning and structuring school system, school year, school days. There are possibilities of revenues. etc
The TEA PARTY wants you to think that all and only solutions are 'cuts'
STOP FALSE FACTS!
The warranty issue is a FACT. And let your house sit empty fr a long period of time and let me know what happens. So, I really do not think it is false. I do think the whole system needs to be looked at. But at this time in the school year, it has to labeled cuts. Perhaps the restructuring and possibilities you speak of can be done at the next budget.

“bad luck or no luck”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#14 Nov 8, 2012
what does the superindentent make? would it make a difference to cut their salary. Do they have the same overpaid windbag problem who wastes money like water charlottesville does?
UVA FAN

United States

#15 Nov 8, 2012
The Board and the Superindentent should have cut their own Salaries before they ask any Teacher to cut their Salaries. Teachers don't make enough to
survive and they are the ones responsible for our Children's Education. Cut from the top and work down. Also Parents remember your Teachers at the Holidays and give them good gifts since their salaries are being cut to teach your kids. just a thought.
think about it

Bassett, VA

#16 Nov 8, 2012
No one seemed to care on Tuesday as they blindly put the "Annointed One" back in office. His lack of work has trickle down effects and you have only begun to see the impact.
Baba Booey

Palmyra, VA

#17 Nov 8, 2012
Please lets get this correct. This is not a 1 time thing.

1. 4 years ago teachers took a 3.5% pay decrease

2. Teachers have had their pay freeze for the last 4 years

3. Teachers have had their benefits raised twice on them

4. Teachers did not have the burden of VRS fully covered like most teachers in the state

5. Teachers are facing 6 furlough days this year.

I am sorry community. We are not talking about a few dollars from teachers. We are talking about thousands and homes being greatly affected. We all here the same rhetoric from the admin..."lets ride the wave together" where to Poorville? "we have to do what is best for the kids" do my kids not count? Should I tell them sorry we can't afford this anymore?
taxpayer

Stanardsville, VA

#18 Nov 8, 2012
I am just as worried about the assistants, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc. as I am the teachers. This affects so many people. I am still interested: Do the furloughs apply to ALL employees--including central office staff?
taxpayer

Stanardsville, VA

#19 Nov 8, 2012
I am somewhat concerned about neighboring counties. Will they use these tactics with their staff? If so, you will see a trickle down effect, and fewer graduates will choose education.
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Nov 8, 2012
Baba Booey wrote:
4. Teachers did not have the burden of VRS fully covered like most teachers in the state
I am sorry community. We are not talking about a few dollars from teachers. We are talking about thousands and homes being greatly affected. We all here the same rhetoric from the admin..."lets ride the wave together" where to Poorville? "we have to do what is best for the kids" do my kids not count? Should I tell them sorry we can't afford this anymore?
The answer to this problem is all the teachers and the staff just get up and walk out after the children get to school and see how the BIG BOARD MEMBERS will handle this then. Also the teachers can get jobs in other countys and shut this county down for good. Put up or shut up. Don't hate just saying to slove there problems. Talk is cheap but action is proof.
Dude

Marshall, VA

#21 Nov 8, 2012
Baba Booey wrote:
according to the DOE, they've taken over 12% in pay cuts over the past three years and have to contribute 6% more towards their retirement, an effective 18% cut in pay in 3 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey detective Randy Snead they better detective... (Feb '16) Sep 28 DPalmer 12
News Catholic Monastery Coming to Charlottesville? (May '10) Sep 15 Doubleamoms 20
News The First Family Sep 3 Michael 13
News 5 Secrets of Women with Always-Perfect Hair Aug '16 Stephany McDowell 1
Rob Lowe Sex Offender! (Aug '10) Aug '16 Vickie 16
News Khans blame Donald Trump for growing intoleranc... Aug '16 Palin s Turkey Th... 3
khizr kahn Jul '16 pissed off 4

Charlottesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages