Albemarle Woman Has Stroke, Hairdresser Comes to the Rescue

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Hairdresser Shelley Ward says her client of 10 years, Lori Richards, looked bright and healthy when she came in for her haircut.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Feb 4, 2013
Jacqui DeShano

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

KUDOS !!!!!!!
cpeacoe

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Yes! Go Shelley. that is wonderful. I am glad to know you!
rocktown

Broadway, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Sheley, you rock!
rocktown

Broadway, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

*Shelley
Bea L

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

I want a new hairdresser ! Where is her shop !?
~*~*~*~*~* Hairdresser of the year ~*~*~*~*
BRAVO !!!!
Dana

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Kudos to the hairdresser! All salon workers in particular should be aware of the signs of a stroke. There is a rare condition called "salon syndrome stoke" which is caused by leaning the head back (such as during hair washing) and pinching off the arteries that lead to the brain.
Pri4

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

The fact that the UVa Medical Center advises anyone to take an aspirin after the initial signs of a stroke is absurd. An aspirin may be beneficial when the stoke is caused by a blood clot to the brain; however, if the stoke is caused by a blood vessel that has ruptured then taking an aspirin could be deadly to the patient since aspirin is a blood thinner. I would not advise anyone to give any medication to someone who is presenting with signs and or symptoms of a stroke. We can not diagnose which type of stoke the person is having in the field and can only be diagnosed in the hospital setting. I am surprised at UVa's recommendation to the public and as an EMS provider giving an aspirin would be cause for a lawsuit. However, kuddos to the hairdresser in knowing the signs of a stroke- she most definitely saved the patients life!
SuzyQ

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Pri4 wrote:
The fact that the UVa Medical Center advises anyone to take an aspirin after the initial signs of a stroke is absurd. An aspirin may be beneficial when the stoke is caused by a blood clot to the brain; however, if the stoke is caused by a blood vessel that has ruptured then taking an aspirin could be deadly to the patient since aspirin is a blood thinner. I would not advise anyone to give any medication to someone who is presenting with signs and or symptoms of a stroke. We can not diagnose which type of stoke the person is having in the field and can only be diagnosed in the hospital setting. I am surprised at UVa's recommendation to the public and as an EMS provider giving an aspirin would be cause for a
lawsuit. However, kuddos to the hairdresser in knowing the signs of a
stroke- she most definitely saved the patients life!
"stoke"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Charlottesville News, Events & Info